Mortal Kombat (2011) Getting The PC Port Fans Requested

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
For the last two years, fans have been asking for a PC version of the 2011 reboot of <a href="http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat_9/">Mortal Kombat</a>. PC gaming has increased in popularity in recent years as the consoles are beginning to show their age. Also, the European PC game market is flourishing as well, so it's hard to ignore. The problem as I saw it was that <b>NetherRealm Studios</b> was too busy with <a href="http://www.trmk.org/games/injustice">Injustice</a> to dedicate themselves to the work that would be required to make a game like <a href="http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat_9/">Mortal Kombat</a> work universally across the varying PC platform. So a port was looking unlikely, especially as fighting games are not big sellers on the PC platform in recent years.

Then, in recent months, listings for the game have shown up on Amazon's foreign websites as well as achievement data showing up inside of Steam's public database. All we needed next was an official announcement, which has finally come today. <b>Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition</b> for Windows PCs will be released <b>worldwide on July 3rd</b> via various digital distribution stores like Steam and then later in retail editions on <b>August 3rd in Europe</b> and <b>August 6th in North America</b>.

Doing the PC port work is Chicago game development studio <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Voltage_Software">High Voltage Software</a>. High Voltage Software was also credited in <a href="http://www.trmk.org/games/injustice">Injustice</a> as well. It appears that High Voltage has experience with the custom built Unreal Engine that the game runs on. Plus, they are local to Chicago and just an hour drive down the highway from NetherRealm. I drive by their studio often, so it sounds like a great choice to me. Using another studio frees up NetherRealm to continue work on their current project, Injustice, as well as future projects, like a tenth Mortal Kombat game that we're all expecting in the coming years.

The PC version is also said to support PDP's Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition Sticks. It's not mentioned if it'll support both the PS3 and Xbox 360 sticks, but I don't see how that wouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, the PC version seems to contain all the features fans are familiar with, so I don't expect many changes or differences beyond how the game would render differently on PC hardware.

Here's the full press release:

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for PC
LONDON UK. – 22nd May, 2013 – Experience the legendary adrenaline pumping action as Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announces Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for PC. Windows PC players can now face-off with Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition, named the Fighting Game of the Year by Spike TV at the 2011 Video Game Awards.

Players enter the realm to face the Kombatants in Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for PC , delivering all of the downloadable content (DLC), including intrepid warriors Skarlet, Kenshi and Rain, as well as the notorious dream stalker Freddy Krueger. Additionally, the game offers 15 Klassic Mortal Kombat Skins and three Klassic Fatalities (Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile).

Originally developed by NetherRealm Studios, led by Mortal Kombat co-creator and creative director Ed Boon and adapted for PC by High Voltage Software, the game will be available for digital distribution on 3rd July, while the physical edition will release on 2nd August for Windows PC.

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for PC features dynamic gameplay including Tag Team, Challenge Tower and a full feature length story mode. Players choose from an extensive lineup of the game's iconic warriors and challenge their friends in traditional 1 vs. 1 matches, or gamers can spectate battles and interact directly with Kombatants online during the King of the Hill mode. The game supports the Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition Fight Stick and delivers full controller capability. Players will also be able to access achievements and leaderboard stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
imagine the patches that can be applied.
i think fight as goro/kintaro/s.hahn/mk2/npc chars mod etc will be ported from ps3, also all those skins (reptile with mk2 skin or umk3 rain!)...

maybe netherrealm put the ps vita skins into mk9 port (remastered due to hi-resolution)

please elders, PORFAVOOOOOOOOOOOR NETHERREALMERS!!

Will the PC version have the extra content created for the PS Vita version (classic costumes and alternates for the DLC characters)?

The very least it should have all the extra content the PS Vita had but would be nice to get a fully playable Tremor. Then I'll buy it for the PC too!

You never know, but they might have to involve yet another third party like Aspyr Media or Feral Interactive for that to happen. Warner Bros. previous partnered with Feral Interactive for Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City.

It's not out of the question in my opinion. May just be a matter of time.. either way it'll probably be a number of months after the PC version releases. Like right now Aspyr is working on Bioshock Infinite for Mac for release sometime this summer.

so, are they going to show it at e3?
38184829.jpg

its great having Mk 2011 on PC, it was a dream of mine too, to play that.....:marchmellow:

Last edited: