Student uses 3D printer to make fully functional gun

MrBlackMonday

he world's first 3D-printed handgun has been successfully fired in Texas, according to its creator Defense Distributed.

All 16 parts of the controversial gun, called the Liberator, are made from a tough, heat-resistant plastic used in products such as musical instruments, kitchen appliances and vehicle bumper bars.

Fifteen of those are made with a 3D printer while one is a non-functional metal part which can be picked up by metal detectors, making it legal under US law.

The weapon is designed to fire standard handgun rounds and even features an interchangeable barrel so that it can handle different calibre rounds.

The blueprint files are expected to be available online today for download.

Defense Distributed, a not-for-profit group based in Texas, was founded by 25-year-old University of Texas law study Cody Wilson, who took eight months to create the gun.

Mr Wilson, who test fired the gun himself, said the goal with the Liberator is to highlight how technology can render laws and governments all but irrelevant.

He told Forbes: "I recognise that this tool might be used to harm people. That’s what it is - it’s a gun.

"But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there. I think that liberty in the end is a better interest."

His efforts to publish the printable blueprints online have sparked outrage in the US.

A Forbes article said: "Once the file is online, anyone will be able to download and print the gun in the privacy of their garage, legally or not, with no serial number, background check, or other regulatory hurdles."

New York congressman Steve Israel has already called for national legislation to ban 3D-printed guns.

In a statement last week he said: "Security checkpoints, background checks, and gun regulations will do little good if criminals can print plastic firearms at home and bring those firearms through metal detectors with no one the wiser.

"When I started talking about the issue of plastic firearms months ago, I was told the idea of a plastic gun is science-fiction.

"Now that this technology is proven, we need to act now to extend the ban on plastic firearms."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

this just in! obama gives live speech about plastic guns,"muh fellow 'mericans, plastic guns, stahp it. it's nerf or nothin'" stirring words from such a deep man. god save the queen. now over to tom for sports....

Those 3D printed guns man, an epidemic.

Oh wait...virtually nobody owns 3D printers except for industrial folks, and the occasional artist or engineer.

And it will always be like that for ever and ever... :stupid:

3D printers are at the same stage as computers were in the late 1970s/very early 1980s. You have to be pretty well off or have a damn good reason (financially speaking) to bother paying the exorbitant cost of entry. Nevermind even knowing how to use them. People freaking out over this are not being realistic. They should focus more on cleaning up the streets of the dope-slingers who can hook someone up with a throaway .38 special for $100 on the street corner.

3D printers are at the same stage as computers were in the late 1970s/very early 1980s. You have to be pretty well off or have a damn good reason (financially speaking) to bother paying the exorbitant cost of entry. Nevermind even knowing how to use them. People freaking out over this are not being realistic. They should focus more on cleaning up the streets of the dope-slingers who can hook someone up with a throaway .38 special for $100 on the street corner.

3D printers are not nearly as expensive as you are trying to make out. Many people have them and not just industry and they are getting cheaper all the time. They are easily affordable now for criminals and will be even more so in the future.

People aren't 'freaking out' about this. It's an extremely valid concern and will no doubt lead to huge issues in the future.

Yeah I already see some 3-D printers for 1,500 bucks.....

They aren't that out of reach. I mean my computer costed almost that much.

and the prototype which isn't even once they mass produce them costed them only 1,000 to make. And most prototypes for things tend to be alot higher in production than once they start mass production

I predict price drop in the future.

How big of an object can a low-end 3D printer make, and how quickly they can produce in significant quantities? Personally, I don't know anybody that owns one these machines, even those who are relatively wealthy.

How big of an object can a low-end 3D printer make, and how quickly they can produce in significant quantities? Personally, I don't know anybody that owns one these machines, even those who are relatively wealthy.

Well i can't think of a reason I would need one.

I mean I looked around my room thinking about what I'd like to copy or print and I can't. What would you want to print?

"Feeding your brain" isn't everyone pandering to someone's opinion that you personally agree with while ignoring things you personally don't want to believe. That's the mentality of someone who is close-minded which you seem to be. All you've done is link to a personal piece from someone who doesn't seem to have a grasp on what these things are capable of while ignoring all the articles speaking of their dangers.

You need to open YOUR mind and realise the potential of these printers and the problems they can cause.

You also need to understand the speed at which technology evolves and realise how much easier things like guns will be to make in the future and how much more sophisticated these printers will be in the future. Something your article writer fails to acknowledge.

Most importantly, you also need to appreciate that if steps need to be taken then they need to be taken now BEFORE these things are in every home. It's no good waiting until everyone owns one then debating the issue. It's too late then.

In short, open your mind and stop hiding behind your personal close-mindedness. Research the power this technology has and become educated.

By the way, the government has made the guy take his blueprints down.

Last edited:
This is the perfect chance. We'll see as this progress whether or not Gun manufacturer's/NRA really do sway the opinion of the mainstream media and political figures.

They fight for "gun freedom" so they can keep selling all kinds of guns for massive profit?

If they TRULY hold their principles, they will let the 3-D printer stuff happen. If they are "AGAINST" the existence of this. Then I'm gonna join the "they're working for Gun Manufacturers" and that's the ONLY reason they fight against gun laws.

maybe some do believe in that ideology... but I won't hold my breathe.

"Feeding your brain" isn't everyone pandering to someone's opinion that you personally agree with while ignoring things you personally don't want to believe. That's the mentality of someone who is close-minded which you seem to be. All you've done is link to a personal piece from someone who doesn't seem to have a grasp on what these things are capable of while ignoring all the articles speaking of their dangers.

You need to open YOUR mind and realise the potential of these printers and the problems they can cause.

You also need to understand the speed at which technology evolves and realise how much easier things like guns will be to make in the future and how much more sophisticated these printers will be in the future. Something your article writer fails to acknowledge.

Most importantly, you also need to appreciate that if steps need to be taken then they need to be taken now BEFORE these things are in every home. It's no good waiting until everyone owns one then debating the issue. It's too late then.

In short, open your mind and stop hiding behind your personal close-mindedness. Research the power this technology has and become educated.

By the way, the government has made the guy take his blueprints down.

Oh boy. You must be new here.