A quick question?

Time Served

If this has already been asked, I'd really appreciate a link to the topic so I may find the solution and not waste space with a useless topic that's already been answered. I recently got back into playing MK9, and I'm unable to do any of the combos I once was able to perform, this can be blame on rust from being away from the game, or playing other fighting games with different controls, frames, set-ups, etc. However the combos I'm performing I was so used to, that they were memorized and became muscle memory from how often I could pull them off, being back then about 95% of the time, including Online.

Now onto the problem; say for example I go to do Rain's Downback BK Super (The around-the-world kick), half of the time it'll give me his teleport and if I do the BK, FK little combo before the kick, it instead gives me his Geiser Kick. I don't understand why it would register the last button input and then register the movements afterwords giving me the super I didn't want. It's really frustrating especially when I used to be so used to this character that I would almost never be able to drop it.

So is this the result of an update? Me having a bad controller (I play on a regular Xbox 360 controller)? I read a topic that had been stickied about the D-Pad being ass on the 360, and saw there was a solution for that, does the same go for the analog stick? I only ever used the A-Stick when playing MK, and that's when I was able to do all this stuff, do you think it could be the controller from being old? I'd really appreciate some help on this, and also once again I apologize if this topic has already been made and I was unable to see it.

I'm pretty sure that's the negative edge you're running into. It's used in a lot of fighting games (I've noticed it goes at least as far back as the Street Fighter Alpha games) but it's a pretty big bastard in this game. Whatever button you're using to cancel into a special is kept active for long enough that you only need to input the directional commands for the special to come out (assuming the special uses that same button). It's meant to make things easier, but with so many similar move inputs, it can take more effort than it rightfully should to get around.

Chances are your timing is just a little off compared to where you had it before, so you're getting screwed by the shortcut more than you used to.

I think I've heard that Injustice actually gives you the option to turn off negative edge, but MK9 doesn't have anything like that as far as I know (it's been a while since I played it).

If this has already been asked, I'd really appreciate a link to the topic so I may find the solution and not waste space with a useless topic that's already been answered. I recently got back into playing MK9, and I'm unable to do any of the combos I once was able to perform, this can be blame on rust from being away from the game, or playing other fighting games with different controls, frames, set-ups, etc. However the combos I'm performing I was so used to, that they were memorized and became muscle memory from how often I could pull them off, being back then about 95% of the time, including Online.

Now onto the problem; say for example I go to do Rain's Downback BK Super (The around-the-world kick), half of the time it'll give me his teleport and if I do the BK, FK little combo before the kick, it instead gives me his Geiser Kick. I don't understand why it would register the last button input and then register the movements afterwords giving me the super I didn't want. It's really frustrating especially when I used to be so used to this character that I would almost never be able to drop it.

So is this the result of an update? Me having a bad controller (I play on a regular Xbox 360 controller)? I read a topic that had been stickied about the D-Pad being ass on the 360, and saw there was a solution for that, does the same go for the analog stick? I only ever used the A-Stick when playing MK, and that's when I was able to do all this stuff, do you think it could be the controller from being old? I'd really appreciate some help on this, and also once again I apologize if this topic has already been made and I was unable to see it.
THIS is NOT a quick question.

In this game it does a release check.

so basically when you push the button once, it'll count it twice. It's meant to help you execute inputs.

A work around for it is if you do rain's BK,FK, hold down FK and don't let go. while you do the Down, Back inputs. Then hit BK (while still holding FK)
That's one way around it, because it doesn't release check your FK because you haven't let go of the button.

The other way is to just hit BK really quickly while your doing the Down, Back Input. The negative edge should make the BK prioritize FK if you do it early enough.

THIS is NOT a quick question.

I thought it was friend, the question was only the bottom three and a half sentences, the explanation of what's happenin' is what took so long to get through.

Thanks DCR, and Critical, I didn't expect to get answers this quick on the subject, especially considering my "new" status and all, but I will check these out and see if they work, and even if they do not in my situation I still appreciate the help!