If you rewritten the story...

Yes.
People which aren't hardcore fans, and don't follow the series like you and I do, think that Sub-Zero and Scorpion are the main characters in MK.
The main characters to the knowledgeable fans and MK main story are Liu Kang and Raiden.
You'd be surprised how many people think that Sub-Zero and Scorpion are the main story characters in MK.
The fans on TRMK and other MK websites probably don't even make up 40% of all the MK fans.
Remember, casual fans are fans too.

Sure MK's "Prime" may have been that era, but with what NRS has done with MK9 I don't see why they can't make a good MK10 game with some of those characters.

I agree that there were A LOT of throw-away characters in the MK:DA thru MK:A era, and that there were a handful of good ones.
No argument there.
I just think that if NRS can revamp Sheeva, Stryker and Nightwolf and make them appealing characters in MK9, then they can do a good make-over to just about ANY of those past terrible creations.
I don't main Sheeva or Stryker, but they still did a 100% improvement on them, compared to the MK3 days.
Nightwolf, I DO main in MK9, and he's a such a fun character to use in MK9.
I don't know if I could have said the same thing about him in the MK3 era.

On the contrary...you'd be surprised how many 'regular' fans DO infact know that Liu Kang is the main char of MK; the reason I said what I said.

Yes I agree, and the rosters in the future very well could be good ones if NRS develops some of the 'throw away' chars from the 3D era. Its possible... NRS just needs to be up for the task and put 100% into each char.
They dont have to have big roles but the need more appeal, Same with some established MK icons.

Right, but as you said, Depending on whats necessary.

The point is....the MK universe is bloated already when it comes to the size of the cast. They don't need to force more characters into a bigger role.

Well, As im sure you know, they can't impress everyone... Im sure The Dark Knight Trilogy did not impress EVERYONE...

When did I ever said everyone will be pleased? Straw man much?

The point is....the MK universe is bloated already when it comes to the size of the cast. They don't need to force more characters into a bigger role.

When did I ever said everyone will be pleased? Straw man much?

A BIGGER role is not my concern. It is the 'quality' of it I would change...

Idiom much?

Last edited:
I'd keep Cyrax, Johnny Cage, Sub-Zero, Kitana, Sonya, Jax, Scorpion and Quan Chi around for MK10. I'd even say an argument exists for bringing Skarlet and (obviously) Kenshi back. Depending on who overtakes the Protector of Earthrealm role, you either elevate Liu to that role and bring him back, or keep him dead and have Raiden remain in the role.

But, beyond the folks I've mentioned? You can move on from the rest of the characters in MK9. The rest of the MK10 roster needs to consists of newer fighters from the MK4 and Armageddon era.

If you primarily want just the MK9/MK Trilogy roster, then you just need to stick with MK9. There is a lot more to MK than just that roster. I understand that group is special. But, sticking with that group is selfish; it holds the series back, and prevents other fighters from getting their fair shake.

Do you even know what an idiom is?

Yes, do you...?

And this is getting off topic. You made your point, I made mine. They are contrary opinions that apparently cannot be wavered, so lets leave it at that.

If you seek a quarrel, find it elsewhere...

Last edited:
To add to that, I would of gave Raiden similar testicular fortitude to say "Hey Kung Lao look out behind you!" or "DUCK FOR FUX SAKE!" other than everyone just stand around and go oops I think he just snapped that dudes neck... oh well he is a dick to fight online so Funk him... and his hat.

My jack ass roommate at the time spoiled that part for me when he got to it in the story mode while I was trying to catch up on my playthrough and I just look over and see *snap WTF! he didn't even notice then asks me why he is playing as liu kang again... :soapbox:

Exactly! That and Liu Kang really should have been back-handed at the end. While some of Raiden's decisions pissed me off in the game, I still felt as if Kang shouldn't have gone off on him like he did. It's not like Raiden knew Sindel was going to come in and sweep through everyone. Of course, I would have also rewritten that part and made it a lot more dramatic. It was so disappointing to see several people die in less than a minute from a few kicks and slaps from a mind-controlled banshee (although I like Sindel, just not in MK9).

Last edited:
I liked the MK9 story overall, though it had its weak parts I felt it had one of the best stories in the MK games. I don't mind that a lot of the orginal cast has been killed out, in fact I actually welcome it since now we will most probably get to see a lot of the post MK3 characters step up and made better and in some cases a revamp as well. The only thing I would change in the story are the heroes being progressively killed than all at once, some chapters for the villain side, and maybe Smoke, Cyber Sub Zero, Kabal and Stryker living on.

Ay least Johnny Cage and Sonya now get to go out to dinner after the story. That's just about the only thing positive I can think of in the ending.

I'd at least have Jade survive and make her the main female hero. Sonya dies with Jax. Cage loses control of his powers and is the one to get mad at Raiden for Sonya's death but the Thunder God accidentally kills him (instead of Liu Kang). Kitana and Liu Kang survive. Kung Lao survives and becomes Jade's lover. Kitana's MK9 ending becomes canon (Mileena joins the good guys.) Sindel and Ermac (King Jerrod) join the heroes. Kahn kills Sindel, then Ermac (Jerrod). Kahn only defeats Raiden, knocking him out. Lastly in the final battle, Jade, Kitana, Kung Lao, and Liu Kang kill Kahn as a team while Mileena defeats Skarlet (who escapes at the end).

For MK10 here's who's boss...
Main Boss: Shinnok
Sub-Boss: Quan Chi and Sareena
Sun-Boss: Kia, and Jataaka
Sub-Boss: Moloch and Drahmin

For MK11 here is how things would go...
Main Boss: Goddess Tanya (An OP version with her MKD ending canon.)
Sub-Boss: Onaga

MK12 = MK Trilogy 2!!! (With ALL characters that appeared in the new timeline.)

Last edited:
I liked the MK9 story overall, though it had its weak parts I felt it had one of the best stories in the MK games. I don't mind that a lot of the orginal cast has been killed out, in fact I actually welcome it since now we will most probably get to see a lot of the post MK3 characters step up and made better and in some cases a revamp as well. The only thing I would change in the story are the heroes being progressively killed than all at once, some chapters for the villain side, and maybe Smoke, Cyber Sub Zero, Kabal and Stryker living on.

Agreed, as far as letting Cyber Sub-Zero survive.
I totally hate the character and his gameplay in MK9, and his back-story basically felt like a lazy excuse for NRS to say that "Something changed."
I don't see the point creating a different story arc for one of the 2 most iconic MK characters of all time, then killing him off.
Why even bother?
For that, just let him live and find another way for his story to change, such as becoming neutral or having his own ulterior motives.
That being said, having Cyber Sub-Zero in MK10 would be better than having NO Sub-Zero for MK10.
And I'm sorry, but in no universe is Frost ever a goddamned replacement for Sub-Zero. NEVER.

Last edited:
Frost is no worse and/or no less contrived of a replacement than an ill-conceived Cyborg that was largely panned.

For the record, I'd take Frost over the Refrigerator.

Did you guys forget the new generation of consoles? I sure MK10 will come out in the 720 and PS4. Which means there might be a chance of larger room in the game.

Y'all must of forgotten that Quan Chi has the souls of the fallen warriors.There's no doubt they'll be back but not as good guys. Under Quan Chi's rule. Raiden is going to be looking for new warriors to help defend earth realm. And also Outworld warriors as well so there's a chance we'll see guys like Bo' rai' Cho', Le Mei, and other from the MKDA-MKA era. We'll have a lot of characters the next game.

Liu Kang, Human Sub-Zero, and Scorpion are the only ones I care for to be in a MK game. Without them, to me, the game isn't fun. And I'm sure others agree as well.

Perfect examples:
MK3
MKDA

Those games were boring without Scorpion and Liu Kang -_-

As for Liu Kang, does he have to be a goody too shoe hero(as some call him) to you all to come back? I said this once and I'll say this again, Liu Kang should return as an anti-hero!! His goal should be to beat Shinnok without the Earthrealm and Outworld Warriors. Liu Kang should be bought back by the Elder Gods since he won the Mortal Kombat twice and since Shao Kahn broke the rules, they bring him back to life. They can't do the same to the rest because their souls belong to Quan Chi (before anyone says something about that).

I wanna throw this out there before the l!U kAnGGg sh0uLD ev!Ll p0stZ come in since I made my statement on Liu Kang
Shang Tsung coming back to MK10 as good and Liu Kang being WOULD NOT MAKE ANY SENSE BECAUSE THEY'RE BOTH DEAD!!

An MK game without any butt kicking half naked chicks is no fun (Kitana, Mileena, Jade, Sindel, Tanya, Li Mei, and more). Sonya doesn't count!!!

Good example: MK1

Frost is no worse and/or no less contrived of a replacement than an ill-conceived Cyborg that was largely panned.

For the record, I'd take Frost over the Refrigerator.

I HATED the idea of the refrigerator, but I'd gladly take him over a Sub-Zero wannabe.
Nothing like the real thing.

coca-cola_its_the_real_thing_coke_2_1969-610x778.jpg

I'll accept no imitations.
Human Sub-Zero, Cyber Sub-Zero or GTFO!!!

Did you guys forget the new generation of consoles? I sure MK10 will come out in the 720 and PS4. Which means there might be a chance of larger room in the game.

Y'all must of forgotten that Quan Chi has the souls of the fallen warriors.There's no doubt they'll be back but not as good guys. Under Quan Chi's rule. Raiden is going to be looking for new warriors to help defend earth realm. And also Outworld warriors as well so there's a chance we'll see guys like Bo' rai' Cho', Le Mei, and other from the MKDA-MKA era. We'll have a lot of characters the next game.

Liu Kang, Human Sub-Zero, and Scorpion are the only ones I care for to be in a MK game. Without them, to me, the game isn't fun. And I'm sure others agree as well.

Perfect examples:
MK3
MKDA

Those games were boring without Scorpion and Liu Kang -_-

As for Liu Kang, does he have to be a goody too shoe hero(as some call him) to you all to come back? I said this once and I'll say this again, Liu Kang should return as an anti-hero!! His goal should be to beat Shinnok without the Earthrealm and Outworld Warriors. Liu Kang should be bought back by the Elder Gods since he won the Mortal Kombat twice and since Shao Kahn broke the rules, they bring him back to life. They can't do the same to the rest because their souls belong to Quan Chi (before anyone says something about that).

I wanna throw this out there before the l!U kAnGGg sh0uLD ev!Ll p0stZ come in since I made my statement on Liu Kang
Shang Tsung coming back to MK10 as good and Liu Kang being WOULD NOT MAKE ANY SENSE BECAUSE THEY'RE BOTH DEAD!!

Sure PS4 and 720 (or Infinity) will have more space, but I don't want an Armageddon type of roster either.
26 - 28 character roster is enough, IMO.

If those character DON'T come back in the main game, then some of them should at least be unlockable in the Krypt, IMO.
Loved MK9 but the Krypt sucked ass.
Having the dead warriors as Krypt unlockables would give me a reason to go back to the Krypt and enjoy it too.
While I'm on the topic of the Krypt, I'd love to see different colored koins awarded for winning maches and Challenge Tower challenges.
Hell some koffins with different koins would also be nice (MK:DA).
Cooking with Scorpion type stuff would also be awesome, don't care if it takes longer to make and put in the game.
I'd rather see some creative stuff than a bunch of stick figures in the Krypt.

I would have no problem with Liu Kang, Sub-Zero and some of the other dead warriors being unlockable playable characters in the Krypt. ;)
Having them back in the story would be a + for me, but as long as some of them like Sub-Zero, Liu Kang and Kabal are somehow playable, I'm Ok with that.

None of the characters coming back would really make any sense, if you think about it, but NRS really shot themselves in the foot with some of those more iconic characters being dead.
I don't understand why they couldn't kill off some of the other less popular characters like Sheeva.
Seriously, would anyone here REALLY miss Sheeva, AT ALL, if she wasn't in MK10?

Last edited:
I don't think 28 to 30 characters for MK10 would cut it, if in fact NRS wants to reach out to almost all the types of fans. There are many who want the classic characters back and many who want to see a fresh roster with the post MK3 characters, they will have to go beyond 30 characters to appeal to them both.The reason MKA was bad was not the number of characters but the fact that they all played essentially the same, the only difference being having a martial art style slapped onto them. If each of those characters were differentiated like how they did in MK9, it wouldn't have been bad.

None of the characters coming back would really make any sense, if you think about it, but NRS really shot themselves in the foot with some of those more iconic characters being dead.
I don't understand why they couldn't kill off some of the other less popular characters like Sheeva.
Seriously, would anyone here REALLY miss Sheeva, AT ALL, if she wasn't in MK10?

I see it more like an opportunity really, to bring in the much needed freshness MK needs. New heroes taking up the mantle, instead of the dead ones. Plus I surely do not want to see MK 9.5 (as far as the characters are concerned) nor the MK4 storyline exactly all over again. The best bet as I had mentioned above would be to include both the OG cast and sufficient number of post Mk3 characters, but given a choice I would always go for the latter.

I don't think 28 to 30 characters for MK10 would cut it, if in fact NRS wants to reach out to almost all the types of fans. There are many who want the classic characters back and many who want to see a fresh roster with the post MK3 characters, they will have to go beyond 30 characters to appeal to them both.The reason MKA was bad was not the number of characters but the fact that they all played essentially the same, the only difference being having a martial art style slapped onto them. If each of those characters were differentiated like how they did in MK9, it wouldn't have been bad.

I see it more like an opportunity really, to bring in the much needed freshness MK needs. New heroes taking up the mantle, instead of the dead ones. Plus I surely do not want to see MK 9.5 (as far as the characters are concerned) nor the MK4 storyline exactly all over again. The best bet as I had mentioned above would be to include both the OG cast and sufficient number of post Mk3 characters, but given a choice I would always go for the latter.

28 to 30 characters could cut it, considering that there are 13 characters alive after MK9.
(14 if you count Skarlet)
IMO Sub-Zero (Human or Cyborg, but only 1 version this time), Liu Kang and Kitana should come back, either in story or the Krypt.
Maybe not Kitana as much, but Sub-Zero and Liu Kang are definite must-haves for anyone that wants the OG cast back.
MK: A was a rush-job, yes, but working on THAT many characters in the allotted time was the issue.
I agree that NRS has more $$$, resources and time this go-around, but I still don't want to see a 60+ cast.
I think that MK10 should have some of the MK 4 thru MK:DA characters, and save the MK:D thru MK:A characters for MK11.
It would be the new era MK trilogy (MK9, 10 and 11) in a sense, and NRS could even possibly market it that way too, as a collection in the future.

Now, using my example in the paragraph above (this is just an idea, so please don't attack me all at once):
13 characters are still alive, as of MK9.
One idea that I have is that Sub-Zero, Liu Kang and Kitana come back, which would add 3 dead characters to MK10.
That would be 16 characters, and going by the approximate 28 character rule, 12 slots would still be available (not taking any hidden characters into consideration).
The remaining 12 to 13 slots could consist of Fujin, Reiko, Tanya, Kai, Kenshi, Bo Rai Cho, Li Mei, Mavado, Nitara, Frost (with a major revamp), Jarek (with a major revamp), Moloch and Drahmin.
That covers the MK4 thru MK: DA era for this game, and would = 29 characters (Oops! I went over by 1 character), considering the other characters that survived at the end of MK9.
New characters can be introduced via DLC, just like Skarlet was in MK9.

I don't think the dead characters should come back in story mode.
I said that if they did, it would be a + for me, but I agree 100% that they shouldn't play a major role.
MK 9.5 isn't what I want either.
My example above would be a good way to include SOME of the MK9 kast, while introducing a new cast for MK10.
For MK11, a handful of MK9 and MK10 characters could be there, but no more than that IMO.
A good majority of the MK11 roster could consist of the MK:D thru MK:A kast, rounding out the new era trilogy.

NOTE: Before anyone reads it and attacks me for it, this is just an idea and I never stated that this is the ONLY option that NRS should go with, just 1 OF MANY options that NRS could go with

Last edited:
What I am saying is they should bring back the 13 odd dead characters as well along with the possible new ones which would increase the roster size to about 40-50. I'm not talking about the story alone but the game as a whole, by doing this they would be able to derive maximum benefit and appeal to almost everyone, though it may take more time.