If you rewritten the story...

No Cyber Sub-Zero
No time travel and story-altering
Motaro
One maskless Sub-Zero costume, complete with scar
Human reptile
Khameleon and Chameleon
Reiko

Pretty much, I would have stuck with the story, as originally told in the original Trilogy. It really didn't need to be screwed with; just re-told with the high budget and graphical value.

Agreed. If they had just restarted from the beginning instead of this going back in time crap, I think things would have been a lot better.

Raiden saving Kung Lao, and Sub-Zero.

Raiden HURTING Liu Kang instead of killing him -____________________________-

No Cyber Sub-Zero
Motaro

Pretty much, I would have stuck with the story, as originally told in the original Trilogy. It really didn't need to be screwed with; just re-told with the high budget and graphical value.

I agree with this part of your statement.
Why does progression always have to = characters getting killed off in MK?
Why can't some characters get badly injured, or just plainly not give a shit?
Why is death always the only option in MK?

Raiden saving Kung Lao, and Sub-Zero.

Raiden HURTING Liu Kang instead of killing him -____________________________-

Raiden is another problem that I had with MK9.
The writing for Raiden went down hill from Chapter 12 thru 17, and he was basically a mindless idiot.
I find it hard to believe that a thunder god couldn't have knocked out Liu Kang, or just given him a concussion until the fight against Shao Kahn was over.
Raiden would have saved EarthRealm and Liu Kang would still be alive.

Also, as far as Liu Kang getting killed off goes:
NRS decides to bring back the MK franchise and kill him off?
Why?
He was a dead zombie in MK:DA thru MK:A, and now that you've brought the series back to its glory days, you're going to kill him off AGAIN?
Sometimes I just don't get Vogel's screwed up writing. :banghead:

Last edited:
-Id change Raiden(both) from being an Idiot, and keep him as a 'Guide' only during this time period. He can ascend to hero who beats the main villain when shinnok comes. But during MK3 era, Liu and kahn.

-Liu Kang would still live, Kung Lao would not die till later in MK3 part, i think it would have been better if kahn killed lao near the end, which pissed off liu to where he wanted to kill him(like in the OG timeline), but then raiden had to stop him because of his recent revelations about the whole 'he must win' thing, but of course liu isnt having it, then they fight, and Raiden may badly injury liu, not kill him... <_<

-less involvement with Quan Chi, more with Shang

-Have Liu and Shang's rivalry shown more

-Had Skarlet be a villain char u fight in some chapter.(i like her)

-Not have EVERYONE die: just have some dead, some badly injured

-Motaro would be able to be fought against, a mistake in not doing so.

i think thats it, everything else is fine.

To me, Liu Kang has less emphasis nowadays, because he isn't a marketable comparison to Capcom. NRS has essentially taken way too many pages out of the Capcom book, from gameplay mechanics all the way down to nickel and diming its fans for DLC. Capcom has its Ryu and Ken; who can NRS re-focus its emphasis on, and adopt as its equivalent of a Ryu and Ken? Scorpion and Sub-Zero, of course. Sure, they were always around as franchise characters. But, before NRS decided to copy cat Capcom entirely, MK was always the Liu Kang and saving Earthrealm show. Now, you have Scorpion and Sub-Zero adorning the MK9 cover, which is blatantly a complete rip-off of SFIV's cover design. The gameplay mechanics are also a carbon-copy of Capcom, with the addition of blood, gore and Fatalities.

The story of MK9 was absolutely horrendous, and on the same level as MK: Annihilation. But, damn, if it wasn't an all-around great fighter! I don't exactly have high hopes for MK10 story-wise. But, if Injustice is any indication, we will get the same fighting mechanics that make MK9 plus interactive stages that defined Deception and Armageddon.

Interactive Deception stages and stage kills were TERRIBLE in that era.
I hope that it never comes back to MK, ever.
The MK9 stages were perfect.

To me, Liu Kang has less emphasis nowadays, because he isn't a marketable comparison to Capcom. NRS has essentially taken way too many pages out of the Capcom book, from gameplay mechanics all the way down to nickel and diming its fans for DLC. Capcom has its Ryu and Ken; who can NRS re-focus its emphasis on, and adopt as its equivalent of a Ryu and Ken? Scorpion and Sub-Zero, of course. Sure, they were always around as franchise characters. But, before NRS decided to copy cat Capcom entirely, MK was always the Liu Kang and saving Earthrealm show. Now, you have Scorpion and Sub-Zero adorning the MK9 cover, which is blatantly a complete rip-off of SFIV's cover design. The gameplay mechanics are also a carbon-copy of Capcom, with the addition of blood, gore and Fatalities.

The story of MK9 was absolutely horrendous, and on the same level as MK: Annihilation. But, damn, if it wasn't an all-around great fighter! I don't exactly have high hopes for MK10 story-wise. But, if Injustice is any indication, we will get the same fighting mechanics that make MK9 plus interactive stages that defined Deception and Armageddon.

I think that is NRS fault for not giving the char(s) something new and exciting. When u kinda have 'normal chars' in a abnormal world with ninjas, monsters, etc, you kinda gotta go above and beyond to make sure the normal guys are up to par in some kinda way to these more interesting supernatural chars, especially if they are your MAIN heroes.

NRS's 'ken and ryu' could have easily been Liu and Lao had their chars been alittle more interesting and developed. hell, maybe even Liu and Cage, Lol

thats the thing that always bugged me about NRS/Midway, They just need to do more with ALL their Main chars.
They focus too much on Subz and Scorp. if they wanna force them down some peoples mouths, they can force other chars down as well.

The main characters to the people have always been Sub-Zero and Scorpion.
The main characters to the main story have always been Liu Kang and Raiden.
Scorpion, as of MK9 is still Quan Chi's b****.
Sub-Zero is dead.
Liu Kang is dead.
Kung Lao is also dead.
Johnny Cage and Sonya could take some spotlight in MK10, but it'll be hard to take goofy Johnny Cage serious, because if they try to make him more serious in MK10 then it destroys the whole character of Johnny Cage always being a jokester.

I think that NRS shot themselves in the foot by killing off so many characters.

MK9 dead:

Sub-Zero
Liu Kang
Kitana
ShangTsung
Kung Lao
Jax
Jade
Sindel
Nightwolf
Noob Saibot
Smoke
Stryker
Kabal
Cyber Sub-Zero

Let's see who's left:

Scorpion
Johnny Cage
Sonya Blade
Kano
Raiden
Baraka
Mileena
Reptile
Ermac
Cyrax
Sektor
Sheeva
Quan Chi

Sub-Boss:
???

Boss:
Shinnok

That roster looks pretty lackluster to me.
Meh.

I'm mainly just peeved at the bias displayed when NRS issued skins. If you weren't a ninja, male or female ninja, you didn't get anything. At the very least, the rest of the roster wouldn't have felt so neglected and cheapened, if they had the same skins treatment. As a man who mains Sonya, I would have loved her MK1 outfit, and/or variations of her 3D era costumes as well. And, what about Cage? How about some Cage MK1 love? Jax MK2?

AC does have an interesting point to raise regarding interactive stages. We are in an era where game developers constantly refine and tweak their product's game play, at the whims and mercy of fans who complain over this and that. This is an era where fans pretty much dictate the mechanics, as the final game 1-2 years after release is dramatically different than the game on release day. So, if NRS brought the interactive stages back to its next game, you'd likely have a legion of fans on the Internet whining about how cheap, "broken" and "overpowered" the stages make the game. But, instead of forcing players to adapt accordingly and develop better offensive and/or defensive strategies, NRS would likely give in to the whining and "fix" something that really isn't broken. As much as some folks like to complain about the behavior and attitude of the FPS crowd, I'd say modern-day fighting game enthusiasts are just as annoying; they have never made a game in their lives, but they feel entitled to demand that professional developers constantly tweak and edit a finished product to make them happy. That sort of entitlement always annoyed me.

Scorpion, as of MK9 is still Quan Chi's b****.
Sub-Zero is dead.
Liu Kang is dead.
Kung Lao is also dead.
Johnny Cage and Sonya could take some spotlight in MK10, but it'll be hard to take goofy Johnny Cage serious, because if they try to make him more serious in MK10 then it destroys the whole character of Johnny Cage always being a jokester.

I think that NRS shot themselves in the foot by killing off so many characters.

MK9 dead:

Sub-Zero
Liu Kang
Kitana
ShangTsung
Kung Lao
Jax
Jade
Sindel
Nightwolf
Noob Saibot
Smoke
Stryker
Kabal
Cyber Sub-Zero

Let's see who's left:

Scorpion
Johnny Cage
Sonya Blade
Kano
Raiden
Baraka
Mileena
Reptile
Ermac
Cyrax
Sektor
Sheeva
Quan Chi

Sub-Boss:
???

Boss:
Shinnok

That roster looks pretty lackluster to me.
Meh.
yea i agree, although i think a good number of fans can distinguish Scorp and Subz more as 'the most Popular chars' rather than 'MAIN chars'. most people know Liu kang and or Raiden is are main chars.

I dont know how MK:X roster is going to look but any roster that is not MK9/MKT is weak, IMO...

If Midway/NRS have a hard enough time handling a few key characters, how can they control an ensemble cast?
Its probably not as hard for NRS as u think...

even if it is, then they'll have their work cut out for them, but the end result would be phenomenal.

yea i agree, although i think a good number of fans can distinguish Scorp and Subz more as 'the most Popular chars' rather than 'MAIN chars'. most people know Liu kang and or Raiden is are main chars.

I dont know how MK:X roster is going to look but any roster that is not MK9/MKT is weak, IMO...

That's EXACTLY what I meant when I said that in my last post:

I don't think that any roster that isn't purely MKT is weak, but NRS does need to retcon and bring some of those characters back.
At the very least Sub-Zero (while I'd prefer human Sub-Zero, I don't care which version at this point), Liu Kang, Smoke and Kabal, IMO.

It's not the same roster with 3 or 4 more characters.
There are 13 out of the 27 character still alive.

All I'm asking for, is for 4 more characters.
That would be 17 MK9 characters and 10 to 11 new / post-MK3 characters.
I don't see anything wrong with that.

Besides, they don't have to be in the story.
They could just be unlocked as playable characters in the Krypt - you know - since they ARE dead. :laugh:

Its probably not as hard for NRS as u think...

even if it is, then they'll have their work cut out for them, but the end result would be phenomenal.

Even in works of fiction that introduce a large cast of characters, usually one or a few emerge being more prominent than others. Creating more characters than what is necessarily overloads the audience and disrupts the flow of the narrative.

To put it bluntly, I was not impressed with what NRS did with MK9's story mode. The are better off focusing on a few well-developed characters (I don't care who it is) before they can juggle with a larger cast.

Last edited:
That's EXACTLY what I meant when I said that in my last post:

I don't think that any roster that isn't purely MKT is weak, but NRS does need to retcon and bring some of those characters back.
At the very least Sub-Zero (while I'd prefer human Sub-Zero, I don't care which version at this point), Liu Kang, Smoke and Kabal, IMO.

You said 'main chars to the people'...they aren't the main chars to the people, they are the most popular chars to the people.
The main chars to the people and the story are liu, raiden, and most people know that and can distinguish between the two...like me.

I do, because that roster is 'MK Prime'. like i said before, MK only went down after that. There were hardly any new chars that were worth a damn with some exceptions...like kenshi and a few others.

thats why i say any roster post UMK3 is weak because of the lack of captivating new chars.
but again, that could ALL change if NRS puts some work into other chars besides scorp and subz MAINLY...among others.

Even in works of fiction that introduce a large cast of characters, usually one or a few emerge being more prominent than others. Creating more characters than what is necessarily overloads the audience and disrupts the flow of the narrative.

To put it bluntly, I was not impressed with what NRS did with MK9's story mode. The are better off focusing on a few well-developed characters (I don't care who it is) before they can juggle with a larger cast.

Right, but as you said, Depending on whats necessary.

Well, As im sure you know, they can't impress everyone... Im sure The Dark Knight Trilogy did not impress EVERYONE...

Last edited:
It's not the same roster with 3 or 4 more characters.
There are 13 out of the 27 character still alive.

All I'm asking for, is for 4 more characters.
That would be 17 MK9 characters and 10 to 11 new / post-MK3 characters.
I don't see anything wrong with that.

Besides, they don't have to be in the story.
They could just be unlocked as playable characters in the Krypt - you know - since they ARE dead. :laugh:

I absolutely think you're right with the number Araknyd. 17 to 18 of the MK9 roster should be there. Then add another 11 to 12 new characters as well as DLC.

I'm going to post my perfect roster for MKX again here:

Scorpion
Sub-Zero (Kuai Liang in whatever form they feel like hopefully human though)
Noob Saibot
Ermac
Rain
Smoke (Demon form causes him to have a split personality one who is controlled by Quan Chi, the other fights to find good)
Jade (resurrected by woman in her ending)
Mileena
Sektor
Cyrax
Sonya
Johnny Cage
Raiden
Kenshi
Skarlet
Quan Chi
Liu Kang (Shinnok's champion)

3D era:
Tanya
Kai
Reiko
Fujin
Sareena
Li Mei
Mavado
Bo Rai Cho
Nitara
Frost (for fans of her)
Ashrah
Hotaru
Havik

Sub Bosses:
Drahmin
Moloch

Boss:
Shinnok

I would also have four downloadable characters and two of the spots I would have fans vote on for returning MK9 characters. The other two would be one or two new characters and a guest character if they so choose.

You said 'main chars to the people'...they aren't the main chars to the people, they are the most popular chars to the people.
The main chars to the people and the story are liu, raiden, and most people know that and can distinguish between the two...like me.

I do, because that roster is 'MK Prime'. like i said before, MK only went down after that. There were hardly any new chars that were worth a damn with some exceptions...like kenshi and a few others.

thats why i say any roster post UMK3 is weak because of the lack of captivating new chars.
but again, that could ALL change if NRS puts some work into other chars besides scorp and subz MAINLY...among others.

Yes.
People which aren't hardcore fans, and don't follow the series like you and I do, think that Sub-Zero and Scorpion are the main characters in MK.
The main characters to the knowledgeable fans and MK main story are Liu Kang and Raiden.
You'd be surprised how many people think that Sub-Zero and Scorpion are the main story characters in MK.
The fans on TRMK and other MK websites probably don't even make up 40% of all the MK fans.
Remember, casual fans are fans too.

Sure MK's "Prime" may have been that era, but with what NRS has done with MK9 I don't see why they can't make a good MK10 game with some of those characters.

I agree that there were A LOT of throw-away characters in the MK:DA thru MK:A era, and that there were a handful of good ones.
No argument there.
I just think that if NRS can revamp Sheeva, Stryker and Nightwolf and make them appealing characters in MK9, then they can do a good make-over to just about ANY of those past terrible creations.
I don't main Sheeva or Stryker, but they still did a 100% improvement on them, compared to the MK3 days.
Nightwolf, I DO main in MK9, and he's a such a fun character to use in MK9.
I don't know if I could have said the same thing about him in the MK3 era.

Last edited: