Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Johnny Cage

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Shujinko

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • New Character

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
What happens now that MK9 is over, who'll take over as the new hero?

If Raiden or Fujin, Fujin will take over Raiden's place as the new protector of Earthrealm.

Liu... if he wants to be a hero again. If he returns, he'll go rogue.

Li Mei... she can be useful as a heroine. More OOMPH!

Kenshi... lone hero.

Sub-Zero... since he and Scorpion are the top characters like Ryu & Ken.

Johnny Cage... give up the superstar life and become a hero.

Kai... can take Liu's place.

Shujinko... if he returns, he'll be young like 30s or 40s.

I think that Fujin will be an important part of the game but that he will not be the main protagonist. Liu Kang may return (since there was no confirmation of his death) but he seems like he's going to go down a dark path. Li Mei did not get a lot of development, so it would be nice to have her be further forward in this timeline, but she won't be the main character. Kenshi - I almost doubt if he'll return. It's been made pretty clear that his only interest has been to kill Shang Tsung and since he's now dead Kenshi lacks motivation. Sub-Zero and Scorpion work better slightly separated from the main story - they have their own thing going on and that's how we like them. Johnny Cage should definitely follow his ending and become more powerful and less of a flake .. but I don't think he's ready yet. In my mind it should be Kai and Shujinko being the main focus. Kai seems like an obvious choice to replace Liu Kang since they're both members of the White Lotus society, they're friends, and they're both great fighters. Shujinko deserves to be given more depth and greater exposure. I think that they have differing personalities and approaches to fighting so it will lead to some good conflict and story points if they were both front and center.

Araknyd_Commander, that is a very good point. Rain is kinda neutral I guess, like Scorpion - he's just working on his own agenda. I could see him working with the Forces of Light perhaps, but if any character switches allegiance I think it is better if that character is not then made the main protagonist. That would proclude the possibility of them later betraying you. Basically, I'm fine with any character that has so far been evil or neutral coming onto the side of good, but I want to be second guessing it all the way through the game.

I'm interested in how much Shujinko will listen to Damashi once he's joined the good guys - he's still Onaga, still wants those Kamidogu for his own ends, so how will he try and manipulate Shujinko, the Forces of Light, and the entire battle?

What I hope for: Kai and Shujinko

What will probably happen: Johnny Cage

I'd like to see Kai in particular inherit Kung Lao's former pacifist personality.

What I hope for: Kai and Shujinko

What will probably happen: Johnny Cage

I'd like to see Kai in particular inherit Kung Lao's former pacifist personality.

I'm all for Kai. I just think he could pull it off. He didn't get much of a chance after MK4 last time, he deserves to get a chance this time around.

I just wanted to mention though that Raiden's ending does stick out to me. It's not going to happen as literally as his ending suggests, but I think Raiden will possibly sacrifice himself for the return of some of the souls or something. Either that or he just sacrifices himself to save earthrealm in general. After all, he did defeat Shao Kahn, actually the sperm dragons did, but that's neither here nor there, so his ending would be one of the one's to take seriously in my opinion. Does anyone agree? I mean he already offered up his soul there in the end of MK9 so sacrificing himself doesn't seem to far out of the question. Does anyone know how to read his ending and have a guess as to who the four warriors may be? We know two: Sonya and Johnny Cage. Who do you think the others may be though? I have a couple of guesses. For the Male pool on this I say Kai, Kenshi, or Sub-Zero. For the Female pool it's Li Mei or Sareena. What do you guys think about it? Sonya, Johnny, ?, ?.

Fujin (Replacing Nightwolf.)
Raiden (Leader)
Kai (Replacing Jax.)
Kenshi (Replacing Stryker.)
Li Mei (Replacing Kitana.)
Johnny Cage
Shujinko (Replacing Kung Lao.)
Sonya
Liu Kang
Sareena (Replacing Jade.)
Cyrax (Replacing Sub-Zero.)
Ermac (As King Jerrod replacing Smoke.)

Characters on their own with no side:
Scorpion
Reptile
Nitara
Ashrah

Fujin (Replacing Nightwolf.)
Raiden (Leader)
Kai (Replacing Jax.)
Kenshi (Replacing Stryker.)
Li Mei (Replacing Kitana.)
Johnny Cage
Shujinko (Replacing Kung Lao.)
Sonya
Liu Kang
Sareena (Replacing Jade.)
Cyrax (Replacing Sub-Zero.)
Ermac (As King Jerrod replacing Smoke.)

Characters on their own with no side:
Scorpion
Reptile
Nitara
Ashrah

Um, I'm pretty sure Liu Kang's dead as a doornail. Bo Rai Cho could play a good role though. Like I said I'm just kinda meh on Shujinko. I think he would be better suited for MK11 after some more guys inevitably die off.lol. Also, I don't see Sareena siding with the good guys at all unless Sub-Zero is somehow involved. That may just be the way my mind thinks, but realistically I don't think she even has any contacts with any of the warriors of light besides Sub-Zero. So I tend to think that her and Sub-Zero are a packaged deal. That's if she plays for the Good guys though. If she stays on the side of evil then there's no need for Sub-Zero.

The characters you have who take no side are all fine with me except Reptile. I used to love Reptile but if we're just gonna have lackeys then we Got Reiko, Nitara, Hotaru, Mavado, hell so many that can come in. Unless Reptile magically grows relevance then I say he should sit out MKX. That's Kano, Baraka, and Sheeva too.

Honestly Deception was Reptile's best game, he was essentially Onaga. I feel they should have left it that way as well because it brought Reptile so much relevance story wise, just like making Bi-Han Noob Saibot did for Noob Saibot. They could have still called him Reptile to for name's sake. Just have him be Reptile, The Dragon King. Then have Reptile remember all of the people who had taken advantage of him in the past like Kahn and Shang Tsung.

Li Mei can be suitable or Kenshi.

Li Mei almost fights like Liu since she's got that flying flurry punch.

The reason I could see Li Mei being a hero above even the males is because she is, or can be anyway, trained by Bo Rai Cho. The same one who trained Kang. So obviously she could learn some major skills here. It's weird but I really kind of see it terms of Karate Kid.lol. Like Mr. Miyagi is Bo Rai Cho and Liu Kang was Daniel. However, Liu Kang (Daniel) has moved on to the afterlife.lol. So now he's training Li Mei (Julie, Next Karate Kid).lol. She's going to become his next protege and would be fitted for a major role as possibly even main protagonist. One thing holds Li Mei back from being the main protagonist though, and that is her being from Outworld.

I'm all for Kai. I just think he could pull it off. He didn't get much of a chance after MK4 last time, he deserves to get a chance this time around.

I just wanted to mention though that Raiden's ending does stick out to me. It's not going to happen as literally as his ending suggests, but I think Raiden will possibly sacrifice himself for the return of some of the souls or something. Either that or he just sacrifices himself to save earthrealm in general. After all, he did defeat Shao Kahn, actually the sperm dragons did, but that's neither here nor there, so his ending would be one of the one's to take seriously in my opinion. Does anyone agree? I mean he already offered up his soul there in the end of MK9 so sacrificing himself doesn't seem to far out of the question. Does anyone know how to read his ending and have a guess as to who the four warriors may be? We know two: Sonya and Johnny Cage. Who do you think the others may be though? I have a couple of guesses. For the Male pool on this I say Kai, Kenshi, or Sub-Zero. For the Female pool it's Li Mei or Sareena. What do you guys think about it? Sonya, Johnny, ?, ?.

Besides Kai, none of these actually makes sense. Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) is already dead, so if he were to be one of Raiden's warrior he would have to be revived back. Even if he were alive he would not have been a probable candidate as he got personal matters to attend to and lacking in experience when it comes to taking up the responsibility of protecting Earthrealm. If it was the Kuai Liang from the MKDA timeline, who had time to mature, he would have been a good candidate.

Kenshi as I mentioned before is more of a lone warrior as of now, he too will have to undergo some development (which could span more than one game) to accept the responsibility and look into things at a broader perspective for the greater good. Li mei is from outworld, so she really can't be one of the protectors of Earthrealm atleast as far as MK10 is concerned. She too has personal matters to attend to in outworld and can't abandon her village and family for the sake of another alien realm. Sareena too wouldn't be likely, she is a demon from the netherealm. Plus she could actually be dead in this timeline (since she was killed in the mythologies story arc), even if she is resurrected it will so by Quan Chi to serve him.Bo Rai Cho has always been that teacher/master figure and I would like him to remain that way. Thus the most likely and the ones that makes most sense are

Johnny Cage, Sonya, Kai, Shujinko. All are from Earthrealm, all had experience in fighting outer realm threats (Johnny and Sonya in MK9, Kai while he was a member of the white lotus society, Shujinko during his travels and as a member of the white lotus society). plus all of them are known to Raiden and he trusts them. So they would seem more likely.

CryHavok said:
I'm interested in how much Shujinko will listen to Damashi once he's joined the good guys - he's still Onaga, still wants those Kamidogu for his own ends, so how will he try and manipulate Shujinko, the Forces of Light, and the entire battle?

I think Onaga/Damashi wouldn't interfere and would infact support Shujinko joining Raiden against Shinnok for awhile. Onaga would ultimately require Shinnok's amulet as well to rise to full power and the only way to get it is with Shinnok's demise.

Besides Kai, none of these actually makes sense. Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) is already dead, so if he were to be one of Raiden's warrior he would have to be revived back. Even if he were alive he would not have been a probable candidate as he got personal matters to attend to and lacking in experience when it comes to taking up the responsibility of protecting Earthrealm. If it was the Kuai Liang from the MKDA timeline, who had time to mature, he would have been a good candidate.

Kenshi as I mentioned before is more of a lone warrior as of now, he too will have to undergo some development (which could span more than one game) to accept the responsibility and look into things at a broader perspective for the greater good. Li mei is from outworld, so she really can't be one of the protectors of Earthrealm atleast as far as MK10 is concerned. She too has personal matters to attend to in outworld and can't abandon her village and family for the sake of another alien realm. Sareena too wouldn't be likely, she is a demon from the netherealm. Plus she could actually be dead in this timeline (since she was killed in the mythologies story arc), even if she is resurrected it will so by Quan Chi to serve him.Bo Rai Cho has always been that teacher/master figure and I would like him to remain that way. Thus the most likely and the ones that makes most sense are

Johnny Cage, Sonya, Kai, Shujinko. All are from Earthrealm, all had experience in fighting outer realm threats (Johnny and Sonya in MK9, Kai while he was a member of the white lotus society, Shujinko during his travels and as a member of the white lotus society). plus all of them are known to Raiden and he trusts them. So they would seem more likely.

I think Onaga/Damashi wouldn't interfere and would infact support Shujinko joining Raiden against Shinnok for awhile. Onaga would ultimately require Shinnok's amulet as well to rise to full power and the only way to get it is with Shinnok's demise.

You're missing a female though. In Raiden's ending it's two females, and two males. So Johnny, Sonya, and Kai would all be likely. Who's the other female though? That's why I put who I put down. Sareena was going to be in this game, there was already a model for her so I assume that they will probably put her in the next game whether she's supposed to be dead or not. It's MK they could write her in anyway they want her. That's why I put her at the top of the list with Sub-Zero because as I've said before she could somehow help Sub-Zero out in the netherrealm. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the two escape and Raiden takes them in. I also disagree with you on Kuai Liang not being ready to defend Earthrealm because well he just got through helping Earthrealm in MK9. He's proven himself worthy of being a huge help.

As Far as Kenshi goes, I don't see him as the loner everyone else does, and that's why I put him there. I mean he was a member of the OIA so he can't be the most anti-social thing ever to walk the planet and Shang is dead for now, So Kenshi is free up to take the second male spot.

Kai needs no words. He would easily fit in.

Li Mei, although she couldn't be a main protagonist I see no reason why she can't help stop Quan and Shinnok's invasion and be the second female. Remember Outworld is being overtaken as well so she's just as likely to be picked as one of Raiden's fighters, maybe he learns of her through Bo Rai Cho or something. They are trying to stop Shinnok from taking the realms there isn't a tournament here (I don't believe?).

So that sums up pretty much everyone's reasons why I selected them.

I'm sure Shujinko could fit in the second male spot but I wouldn't like it as well as Kai, Kenshi, or Sub-Zero. I do believe Kai is the likely candidate though along with probably Li Mei.

Um, I'm pretty sure Liu Kang's dead as a doornail. Bo Rai Cho could play a good role though. Like I said I'm just kinda meh on Shujinko. I think he would be better suited for MK11 after some more guys inevitably die off.lol. Also, I don't see Sareena siding with the good guys at all unless Sub-Zero is somehow involved. That may just be the way my mind thinks, but realistically I don't think she even has any contacts with any of the warriors of light besides Sub-Zero. So I tend to think that her and Sub-Zero are a packaged deal. That's if she plays for the Good guys though. If she stays on the side of evil then there's no need for Sub-Zero.

The characters you have who take no side are all fine with me except Reptile. I used to love Reptile but if we're just gonna have lackeys then we Got Reiko, Nitara, Hotaru, Mavado, hell so many that can come in. Unless Reptile magically grows relevance then I say he should sit out MKX. That's Kano, Baraka, and Sheeva too.

Honestly Deception was Reptile's best game, he was essentially Onaga. I feel they should have left it that way as well because it brought Reptile so much relevance story wise, just like making Bi-Han Noob Saibot did for Noob Saibot. They could have still called him Reptile to for name's sake. Just have him be Reptile, The Dragon King. Then have Reptile remember all of the people who had taken advantage of him in the past like Kahn and Shang Tsung.

Oops forgot about Bo Rai Cho. Yeah he can join the team as well. And about Reptile, Kano, Baraka, and Sheeva, not sure if they'll be sitting out. If anything, they'll most likely be killed off.

You're missing a female though. In Raiden's ending it's two females, and two males. So Johnny, Sonya, and Kai would all be likely. Who's the other female though? That's why I put who I put down. Sareena was going to be in this game, there was already a model for her so I assume that they will probably put her in the next game whether she's supposed to be dead or not. It's MK they could write her in anyway they want her. That's why I put her at the top of the list with Sub-Zero because as I've said before she could somehow help Sub-Zero out in the netherrealm. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the two escape and Raiden takes them in. I also disagree with you on Kuai Liang not being ready to defend Earthrealm because well he just got through helping Earthrealm in MK9. He's proven himself worthy of being a huge help.

Even though they showed two males and two females in Raiden's ending, they could easily retcon that as it isn't anything major, plus it would make more sense. Didnt know Sareena was going to be in MK9, but even if they did have a model for her, that can't really guarantee her spot in Mk10, since it will most likely run on next gen consoles. Also I never understood how people are connecting Sareena with Kuai Liang? Yes she was involved with Bi Han in mythologies but was immediately killed thereafter. Although she was killed, her human form was only destroyed and she was banished to the inner planes of the netherealm. It was only during the time of MKDA she managed to escape the plane through the same portal created by Quan Chi for him to escape. Thus going canonically she is still at the netherealm, away from the other dead combatants. She may have a role, but I doubt it would be a major one.

As for Sub Zero, although he helped Raiden he still isn't ready. As of now, he is dead and he has to get revived back. Even with that he would have his own agenda with Scorpion, Quan Chi and the Lin Kuei and he wouldn't be willing to accept the responsibility of being a protector not until he has sorted his stuff out.

As Far as Kenshi goes, I don't see him as the loner everyone else does, and that's why I put him there. I mean he was a member of the OIA so he can't be the most anti-social thing ever to walk the planet and Shang is dead for now, So Kenshi is free up to take the second male spot.

Yes he was a member of the OIA BUT only during the MKDA timeline, that is almost 10 years after MK1. As of MK9, he is fresh out of his training having mastered fighting without sight and the only goal he has in mind is to kill Shang Tsung. Yes, Shang Tsung is apparently dead but no one in Earthrealm really knows that. Kenshi needs that development cycle before he starts moving away from his past goals, he can have that in MK10, as one of the heroes but not the main one.

Li Mei, although she couldn't be a main protagonist I see no reason why she can't help stop Quan and Shinnok's invasion and be the second female. Remember Outworld is being overtaken as well so she's just as likely to be picked as one of Raiden's fighters, maybe he learns of her through Bo Rai Cho or something. They are trying to stop Shinnok from taking the realms there isn't a tournament here (I don't believe?).

Again you are ignoring the fact that she is from outworld. You are also ignoring the fact that Earthrealm heroes or the four chosen (if Raiden's ending is canon) are not going to be the only heroes in MK10. Outworld too is going to go head on with the Netherealm and characters like Ermac, Mileena, Goro, Kintaro, Sheeva, Li Mei etc can actually have a turn around and step up as heroes when they realized they would be at the receiving end. There is no reason for Li Mei to go running to Earthrealm when her own realm is in peril. It's like saying Liu Kang joining Outworld to be its defender instead of Earthrealm.

I see characters like Li Mei and Kenshi as more supporting protagonists like Kabal and Jade were in MK9 with their own agendas rather than main protagonists.

To be more specific, Quan Chi's demise since he has the real amulet (unless Shinnok finds out and gets it from him somehow). Although I agree with you