TRMK Review: Mortal Kombat TV Games

Jeff Greeson

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to <a href="http://www.jakkstvgames.com">Jakks Pacific</a>, we managed to get our hands on a couple of <B>Mortal Kombat TV Games</b> controllers and were able to spend a few days with them. Surprisingly the controllers are overall pretty darn close to the arcade version of Mortal Kombat. We had no problems with them with respect to gameplay and are deemed worthy at a price of $20. Here's a snippet from our <a href="/games/mk/reviews/tvgames/">review</a>.
Aside from all of the differences, Mortal Kombat TV Games has a lot going for it in the good column. The first good thing is that the character sprites fill almost half of the entire screen. When it comes down to the overall look of the game, the larger the character sprites are, the more substantial the game feels, and MKTVGames exudes substance.
Mortal Kombat TV Games will retail for $19.99-$24.99 at all major electronics stores and retailers in March. Jakks said that most stores, like <b>Wal-Mart</b>, will be carrying the 'M for Mature' rated version of the controller while some smaller retailers have placed a few orders for the 'T for Teen' rated version. The differences are that the internal ROM setting for blood and fatalities are turned off in the Teen version. Enjoy our <a href="/games/mk/reviews/tvgames/">review</a>, now with videos!

Also, stay tuned as we reveal how you can get a chance to <B>WIN</B> your very own <B>Mortal Kombat TV Games</b> unit. That's right, we're giving away our two controllers to two lucky TRMK readers! Coming Soon!

Woah, can't wait!

Jeff Greeson said:
Also, stay tuned as we reveal how you can get a chance to WIN your very own Mortal Kombat TV Games unit. That's right, we're giving away our two controllers to two lucky TRMK readers! Coming Soon!
C'mon, I really need one, I'm the TRMKarma master! :wink:

Robot Commander said:
So im guessing the T ones are the SNES ones right? Are the ones that are for the contest the M or T ones?

The M and T ones are the same arcade game code, except the T version has the switches for blood and fatalities turned off. You don't get the 'fakealities' from the SNES version, you just won't get fatality time at all.

The contest will be for M rated ones. The T's will be pretty rare to find.

I recently received one of these for free-- for advertising on my MK3 Movie site-- and am pretty impressed. The presentation took a step down (fonts, logos, etc.) despite the characters still looking bold and nice, and the music was seemingly remixedm but still retains most of its integrity from past MKs. Playing it, however, is a dream. I, myself, will give it an 8/10.