How can you not swear on this forum?

Not really

The relationship between not being able to use certain swear words and MK itself is only indirect, due to this being a website for the series

It has much more to do with the forum itself

There's already a Forum News and Rules section and a regular General Discussion forum for this kind of shit, anyway

Not at all. The fact that this is a MK forum and it's relation with vulgarity/violence are mutually inclusive.

If this was just a regular forum without any affiliation to MK, this would be irrelevant. Hence why I put it in the MK side of the forum, however in the General Discussion (which clearly states "Discussion for any Mortal Kombat topic that does not have a fit in any of the above forums"). I have no issue relocating it to the Off Topic side of the forum, but it really is beside the point.

Why is it in the General Discussion area of the forum? Because it both involves Mortal Kombat and trmk.org. Hence the location of the thread.

And the irony of you saying "little brats running around cursing like they are a big deal. If you don't like it" and ending it with "gtfo" is quite funny. :elefant:

Lol, see what I did there?

I just see it as annoying as to see words abused, not everyone is an adult here. When kids swear just to swear, and this is a general forum and Pat want's to see it as open to everyone with more than half a brain. When the homosexual slang name rage started flooding this forum, you would have to read it every post was quite tiresome and idiotic.

Now GFY.:slap:

Lol, see what I did there?

I just see it as annoying as to see words abused, not everyone is an adult here. When kids swear just to swear, and this is a general forum and Pat want's to see it as open to everyone with more than half a brain. When the homosexual slang name rage started flooding this forum, you would have to read it every post was quite tiresome and idiotic.

Now GFY.:slap:

Fair play. :)

I forget how much pathetic insults some rage noobs can dish out.

I really don't care enough to make this an argument, and really I'd rather have constructive debates then call the next man a f-ing c-nt face lol. It was just an interesting observation.

I'll GFM now. haha

^^^ Exactly, you give kids an inch and they take a mile.

I would not have a problem if there was no filter because I can think beyond using a socially unacceptable word to describe an emotion, thought, or feeling. Some kids here can't do that. Like Tyler Welby.

Not at all. The fact that this is a MK forum and it's relation with vulgarity/violence are mutually inclusive.

If this was just a regular forum without any affiliation to MK, this would be irrelevant. Hence why I put it in the MK side of the forum, however in the General Discussion (which clearly states "Discussion for any Mortal Kombat topic that does not have a fit in any of the above forums"). I have no issue relocating it to the Off Topic side of the forum, but it really is beside the point.
You just strengthened my point with the bolded

This isn't an MK topic so much as it is a forum topic

The main topic of the thread has much more to do with the actual forum itself and its rules on profanity, your other more directly related point to MK (how you don't think it makes much sense to censor words in a site about a mature video game series) is only secondary to the main topic. Just saying it should have been in the Off Topics section, and more specifically, the Forums News and Rules section since that's where topics like these are supposed to go.

Put it to you this way: it's like if I had made a thread in this forum about the media's general attitude towards violent and controversial video games. While the topic itself is broad and involves Mortal Kombat, it isn't about Mortal Kombat itself, so it would have fit more in the Video Games section or the standard General Discussion section than in the MK General Discussion section

You just strengthened my point with the bolded

This isn't an MK topic so much as it is a forum topic

The main topic of the thread has much more to do with the actual forum itself and its rules on profanity, your other more directly related point to MK (how you don't think it makes much sense to censor words in a site about a mature video game series) is only secondary to the main topic. Just saying it should have been in the Off Topics section, and more specifically, the Forums News and Rules section since that's where topics like these are supposed to go.

Put it to you this way: it's like if I had made a thread in this forum about the media's general attitude towards violent and controversial video games. While the topic itself is broad and involves Mortal Kombat, it isn't about Mortal Kombat itself, so it would have fit more in the Video Games section or the standard General Discussion section than in the MK General Discussion section

But my comment wasn't regarding forums of controversial videos games and swearing, it was regarding MK video games and swearing. Really, the thread can be moved, I don't really care. It's completely beside the point and I'd gladly do it if I could. But they are mutually inclusive from where I stand.

The thread was created to discuss the swearing filter of this forum in relation to ONLY Mortal Kombat, and not any other video game.

Really, I get where you are coming from, but it still remains that in this instance it was MK and forum specific (the example I added regarding Battlefield 3 is merely to aid in the understanding of the discrepancies of a swearing filter in relation to a mature game)

Wow, you guys are really being a baby about this. SMH, just get over it. Rules are rules. Follow them.

lol

7276chess_pawn.jpg

But my comment wasn't regarding forums of controversial videos games and swearing, it was regarding MK video games and swearing. Really, the thread can be moved, I don't really care. It's completely beside the point and I'd gladly do it if I could. But they are mutually inclusive from where I stand.

The thread was created to discuss the swearing filter of this forum in relation to ONLY Mortal Kombat, and not any other video game.

Really, I get where you are coming from, but it still remains that in this instance it was MK and forum specific (the example I added regarding Battlefield 3 is merely to aid in the understanding of the discrepancies of a swearing filter in relation to a mature game).
Lol, I know that your comment only regarded MK, I was just making an example with the controversial video games part

But I see what you're saying now

Does anyone else find it a double-standard for the fansite of an M-rated video game franchise to enforce a PG-13 language policy?! I certainly do! And what exactly is the logic behind this? Trying to pander to little children? Well, those under the age of 17 are too damn young to be on this website in the first place! After all, this IS a fansite of an M-rated video game franchise, so there is NO EXCUSE for outlawing the use of M-rated language! If anything, the teeny-boppers should be kicked out of here based on their age!

Even if the ban were lifted, I wouldn't bother to curse that much more. Maybe it's because I'm beyond the point in my life where swearing was considered the cool thing to do.

Vulgar words isn't a problem in itself, the real problem is the high potential of abuse by immature members. Regardless of whether or not profanity is allowed, we are expected to retain a degree civility around here.

Last edited:
This thread belongs in the news and rules section, actually.....

Anyway, there was never a problem initially with swearing, but Pat (the admin) decided to make a change to the rules because people went ahead and overdid it.

I swear like a sailor irl so I have to remember not to do it here (not that it shows up, anyway). Some of the less 'harsh' swear words are allowed, like SHIT, but the more 'serious' ones are censored.

Most things that we used to have were changed because of abuse reasons so I guess you can't blame anyone but the people who abused it....same thing happened with rep. People abused it, even more people complained about getting a red square. I would get a TON of messages per day from people complaining that they got a red rep they felt was 'not justified' and wanted it removed. It was specifically said for people to PM a mod for removal if the rep comment included trolling or flaming. Instead, people made a huge fuss over a red box that someone gave them because they simply did not agree with the post. No trolling or flaming in the rep comment. People just couldn't handle getting a red box.

Between the complaints and the abuse, that got taken away. Same thing with the swearing.

I am pretty sure Pat understands why people think MK forum, gory game, why can't we swear, but it has nothing to do with an MK connection and everything to do with the forum in general. Pat wants it to be a happy, welcoming community, not one full of people swearing back and forth every chance they get.

I am sure Pat can give you a more detailed answer.

Even if the ban were lifted, I wouldn't bother to curse that much more. Maybe it's because I'm beyond the point in my life where swearing was considered the cool thing to do.

That's besides the point and quite far from what the majority of the posters in this thread actually seem to think, but you redeemed yourself with your second paragraph.

I am pretty sure Pat understands why people think MK forum, gory game, why can't we swear, but it has nothing to do with an MK connection and everything to do with the forum in general. Pat wants it to be a happy, welcoming community, not one full of people swearing back and forth every chance they get.

I am sure Pat can give you a more detailed answer.

Understood, and a more detailed answer is really not needed. It was a general observation as I do swear quite a bit on a regular basis, mostly at myself. When I saw that I couldn't write "That's f-ing awesome", I was a bit surprised seeing as I was commenting on a fatality MK video...
:)

Well you're new here so you may or may not know. There are some users here (myself included) that are immature and can't handle themselves responsibly. Then there where some that would over use the words and people started getting offended. So trying to keep the peace the words where banned.