Official NHL Thread

i have no clue about hockey. How long does this tournament last? is it a league for the season or a knockout stage cup? Someone kindly briefly explain :? :oops:

The Immortal King said:
i have no clue about hockey. How long does this tournament last? is it a league for the season or a knockout stage cup? Someone kindly briefly explain :? :oops:

The NHL (National Hockey League) is a collection of 30 Hockey teams located in the US and Canada. I believe there are 82 games played in a season per team. It's setup is almost exactly like the NBA.

The top 8 teams from each conference advance to the playoffs. 1 seed plays the 8 seed, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, and 4 plays 5. Each round is the best of a 7 game series. You advance till the top team from each conference meet up and play for the Stanley Cup, which many argue is the best trophy in all of sports.

Really, the NHL and the NBA are set up in the exact same way. West/East conference, 82 games, top 8 teams per conference make the playoffs, and the series are best of 7 games. The main difference is that in Hockey, there can be tie games during the regular season and your standing is controlled by *points*. Teams get 2 points for a win, 1 point for a loss in OT or a shootout, and zero points for losing. So you don't have to have the best record to be the #1 team if you have more points than the other teams. But the top teams will always have some of the best records due to winning more games.

The NHL just started back up this past season after a looooong lockout so tons of people are excited again. I live in NC and the Carolina Hurricanes are big, especially since they were one of the better teams in the league.

I follow sports - mainly the MLB and the NBA - but I don't watch Hockey. I listen to a ton of sports radio, both local and national, so I do keep up with Hockey and I do look at the standings from time to time. I know Carolina has come back from being down 0-2 to tie it up at 2-2.

I have nothing against Hockey and from what I have watched, it's fun. But it's hard for me to get into a whole "new" sport I don't know much about when I grew up watching the NBA and follow the MLB close as hell. But that being said, I still know enough to answer your question!

Haha no more red wings 8) don't worry Jade. Canadiens are probably going to be eleminated tommorow so I'll cry with you.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/capricorn83/Picture273.jpg

Those are real tears man (it looks kinda funny too now that I look at it) I was sitting with my jersey on watching the end of the game and all in a matter on 5 seconds, it was done. I am sad that Detroit are out but the tears were for the fact that Yzerman will probably retire. He's been my favourite for 12 years now. I was sad when my first favourite, Patrick Roy, retired but Stevie took over Roy's spot as my favourite back in 1994.

I hate life.

6/8 it's not bad 8)

Ottawa
Buffalo

New Jersey
Carolina

San Jose
Edmonton

Anaheim
Colorado

Colorado will lose because they have Theodore as their N1 goalie. Avs' DG must cry right now. Aebischer was so much better.

The Phenomenal One said:
Darth Sadistic said:
The Phenomenal One said:
The Immortal King said:
damn! i thought this was about light-sabres

iv heard where u like to put ur light-sabre :wink:
Yeah I heard that you Scots liked tossing the Sabre! :lol:
Ive heard you scousers like tossing grannies out your bed when the press chap on your door...just ask wayne rooney :wink:
Could be true but I'm not a scouser. :wink:

And you've got a bit more info than even the newspapers got.

You must be a customer! :lol:

Darth Sadistic said:
The Phenomenal One said:
Darth Sadistic said:
The Phenomenal One said:
The Immortal King said:
damn! i thought this was about light-sabres

iv heard where u like to put ur light-sabre :wink:
Yeah I heard that you Scots liked tossing the Sabre! :lol:
Ive heard you scousers like tossing grannies out your bed when the press chap on your door...just ask wayne rooney :wink:
Could be true but I'm not a scouser. :wink:

And you've got a bit more info than even the newspapers got.

You must be a customer! :lol:

lmao :lol: :lol: You too ashamed ta admit tht yer a scouser now eh???=P But no i am not a customer...honest :oops: :oops:

Carolina-Edmonton (Game 7)

Edit: CAROLINA JUST WON THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was an amazing game any thoughts from you guys

Last edited:
Re: Carolina-Edmonton (Game 7)

That's what happens when a team beats out my Red Wings. Take that bitches!