Killing off Scorpion

Kill Scorpion?

• Total voters
Then we should be willing to kill 100% of the cast at anytime. Because story can progress w/o any of the original cast can have mk11 be 100% all new characters.

Question is.. Would it feel like MK to you?

I actually do like Scorpion and Sub-Zero, they both are up there as my favorite characters. Most of what I posted in this thread is in respect to the purview of the discussion, which is story alone.

I am not saying I don't want Scorpion and Sub-Zero in the future games, I sure as hell want them, but I feel MK can do without them, given the creative talent NRS has shown in MK9. If people say that they won't buy a MK game which doesn't have Scorpion and Sub Zero, I see them as just scorpion and Sub Zero fans alone since they are not appreciating everything else MK has to offer. Sure they are iconic characters but what about the remainder of the roster? MK surely would not have succeded if it was all about Scorp and Sub. Their rivalry was already stale by the time of DA and deception clicked mainly because of the amount of lore it introduced into the MK world and not because of them. Both scorpion and sub zero hardly had any role in that game. MK shaolin monks too would have done well without them being playable.

For me Mortal Kombat is not about a few iconic characters, but all of them, even majority of the obscure ones as even though they lacked originality, they did contribute and enrich the MK world. Scorpion and Sub Zero do contribute to this as well, but they offer NOTHING without the world they are potrayed in and the presence of all other characters.

In short I like MK for its entirety and not just a few iconic characters and I find it difficult to believe that people who boycott an entire game for the absence of two characters are even fans of the game, I see them more as fanboys of the characters. Sure you may not agree with their decision if at all it happens but can't you be more open minded and see what all MK has to offer and the treamondous potential it has got away from those Ninjas?

I should have clarified my statement before by saying that I wouldn't pre-order an MK game without them in it.
Sure, I'll give it a shot, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay full price for it.
Fanboy of characters? Fine, but that doesn't make me any less of an MK fan.
I'm a hardcore fanatic of the Metal Gear Solid series, but I sure as hell am not buying Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, because I'm not into anime and don't agree with the direction that they are taking the game.

Same goes for Mortal Kombat.
If I don't agree with the direction that NRS is taking MK in the next MK10 game, albeit Story, Character exclusion or gameplay, not buying the game is my right as well and it should be respected.

This is nothing NEW for me.
When MK3 came out, same shit happened.
Played the game for a little bit, but due to the lack of Scorpion, I returned it 2 months later.
Bought UMK3 when it came out on Sega Genesis, and it has been my preferred go-to MK3 game, whenever I get the itch to play some MK3.

Then we should be willing to kill 100% of the cast at anytime. Because story can progress w/o any of the original cast can have mk11 be 100% all new characters.

EXACTLY!!

You contradict yourself by telling me kuai lang developed. Scorpion does not impede on subzero's story nor quan chis.

It only appears that way to you because the most recent game has to repeat history because it is history. Scorpion in no way hurts quan chis story, well because he didn't even have a chapter in story mode you had to only settle for ladder.

His story isn't revolved around scorpion like you make it sound. Scorpion is revolved quan chi not the other way around.

Yes, the reason I used the phrase 'abit more' while refrencing both Quan Chi and Sub Zero. What Im trying to say is instead of having them get involved in Scorpion's revenge story, just put an end to it so that the time they spend on that could in turn be used to develop more interesting plot paths with other characters. That way Scorpion too can pursue a new path.

Why would anyone want to kill 100 % of the characters anytime? As I mentioned in my previous post, the characters and their backgrounds and the world that they live in is what makes Mk, Mortal Kombat. Not just Scorpion and Sub Zero. How many mk fans will buy a game based Scorpion and Sub Zero set in the street fighter world or any other world other than the one established in Mk for that matter?

Also the main reason I said that a MK game can do without them is that their stories were never part of or intrumental to the main plot. They were just side stories that progressed independantly.

Last edited:
Yes, the reason I used the phrase 'abit more' while refrencing both Quan Chi and Sub Zero. What Im trying to say is instead of having them get involved in Scorpion's revenge story, just put an end to it so that the time they spend on that could in turn be used to develop more interesting plot paths with other characters. That way Scorpion too can pursue a new path.

Why would anyone want to kill 100 % of the characters anytime? As I mentioned in my previous post, the characters and their backgrounds and the world that they live in is what makes Mk, Mortal Kombat. Not just Scorpion and Sub Zero. How many mk fans will buy a game based Scorpion and Sub Zero set in the street fighter world or any other world other than the one established in Mk for that matter?

Their story makes up the mk universe as well. Sonya Kano jax kabal Stryker? Just kill them off their circle fued impeded the progression of the main story line.

If your willing to do it to 1 you can do it to all.

Name 1 character that is 100% needed after mk9?

Like the series can't go on w/o them.

You can't. So I find it funny people are Willing to kill him permanently when there are 100% of the cast that isn't "needed" I'm not saying kill them all at once but tell me one person that can't be killed alone.

Can't get rid of Scorpion. I grew up killing that yellow douche-bag. But if they do, they should get Noob to do it.

I should have clarified my statement before by saying that I wouldn't pre-order an MK game without them in it.
Sure, I'll give it a shot, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay full price for it.
Fanboy of characters? Fine, but that doesn't make me any less of an MK fan.
I'm a hardcore fanatic of the Metal Gear Solid series, but I sure as hell am not buying Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, because I'm not into anime and don't agree with the direction that they are taking the game.

Same goes for Mortal Kombat.
If I don't agree with the direction that NRS is taking MK in the next MK10 game, albeit Story, Character exclusion or gameplay, not buying the game is my right as well and it should be respected.

This is nothing NEW for me.
When MK3 came out, same shit happened.
Played the game for a little bit, but due to the lack of Scorpion, I returned it 2 months later.
Bought UMK3 when it came out on Sega Genesis, and it has been my preferred go-to MK3 game, whenever I get the itch to play some MK3.

Yea, I can understand where you are coming from. The clarification too helped in that regard cause it felt like you would downright boycott the game if scorpion and sub zero weren't in it even though they might have excelled in all other aspects. I can understand the MGS issue since it is a major overhaul but in comparison to the exclusion of two characters of Mk, it seems frivilous. Perhaps you may feel that way because your reasons for liking MK are abit different from mine.

Also MK has come a long way, especially with MK9 from the days of UMK3. Back then the characters, especially Ninja characters provided much more appeal than everything else, the reason they had to be included then. I doubt it would be the same again, in the unlikely event of it happening, since MK has progressed a lot since then.

Their story makes up the mk universe as well. Sonya Kano jax kabal Stryker? Just kill them off their circle fued impeded the progression of the main story line.

If your willing to do it to 1 you can do it to all.

Name 1 character that is 100% needed after mk9?

Like the series can't go on w/o them.

You can't. So I find it funny people are Willing to kill him permanently when there are 100% of the cast that isn't "needed" I'm not saying kill them all at once but tell me one person that can't be killed alone.

Yea, I never did deny that and actually did mention they form a part as well. The reason I mentioned that was to show that scorpion and sub zero are just two pawns in the chessboard of MK. Without the chessboard they are just two pieces you can't relate to. The same for all characters. I said this to prove to arkanyd that, everything around scorpion and sub zero is as important as them and they can't really make it own their own.

This wasn't my justification of having them removed or killed off permanently lol. I surely would want them to return.

I'm gonna try an analogy to get my point across on why you gotta be careful with this.

MK universe = red apple

Take a bite and you got rid of scorpion.

It's still an apple you didnt need that bite to remain an apple.

Take too many bites and you no longer have an apple so for each bite you replace it with a green apple bite size.

A mix of green and MK(red) still feels like mk just with a twist and new taste.

Why did you have to bite scorpions bite over say rain? Or sonya? Or jax?

If your willing to take a bite you should be willing to eat the whole thing in a sense.

You make scorpion seem like a sour nasty part of the apple, when In fact the entire apple aged at the same rate.

Eat too much of the apple the less and less it'll look like mk.

All I'm saying.

Yea, I can understand where you are coming from. The clarification too helped in that regard cause it felt like you would downright boycott the game if scorpion and sub zero weren't in it even though they might have excelled in all other aspects. I can understand the MGS issue since it is a major overhaul but in comparison to the exclusion of two characters of Mk, it seems frivilous. Perhaps you may feel that way because your reasons for liking MK are abit different from mine.

Also MK has come a long way, especially with MK9 from the days of UMK3. Back then the characters, especially Ninja characters provided much more appeal than everything else, the reason they had to be included then. I doubt it would be the same again, in the unlikely event of it happening, since MK has progressed a lot since then.

Sure, MK has progressed a lot since then, but those 2 characters will always be a pivotal part of MK, IMO.
As CL said, it just wouldn't feel like a true MK game, to me, without those 2.

Yes, I've been asking for new character designs and I have offered my Ideas on revamps for Reiko, Baraka and even for a character I can't stand in Nitara.

If they can do what they did in MK9 for every character from the 3D era then I have absolutely no problem with an all Smi-unknown cast of characters for MkX or 11. Taking risks seems to be Boons and Nrs's M.O.

Since the very first Mk lol? Good job at dissecting and editing my post and changing its meaning entirely. By 'them' I meant the Ninja based characters if you didn't catch it already.

Also this discussion is solely based on the perspective of Scorpion's story. Do read the OP next time before posting in a thread.

I did read your post. You clearly said MK isnt all about the MK ninjas anymore, when the story clearly isn't. All the games main story has really had a lot to do with Raiden. Scorpion hasn t been the poster boy since the beginning at all, it just that his popularity has dwarfed the others, because you know, he really is that damn good a character in the universe of MK.

The MK ninjas are used alot also because they are extremely marketable images, iconic.

When the first MK came out i clearly remember everyone making more of a fuss about Goro not Scorpion.

Also boy, why bring up the other ninjas if your comeback post states its about Scorpions story, I think you should read the OP, BROTHER!!!
Why did you have to bite scorpions bite over say rain? Or sonya? Or jax?

Oh for gods sakes man do not mention cutting Rain, for the love of god do not even whisper the entire concept of Rain not been included in a MK game. The internet fanboy elders will cast lightning bolts and destroy the fabric of the internet and opinion. :) Not including Rain would be almost as despicable as discounting Tremo...ill stop there.

Last edited:
@FJ:
While I agree yellow and blue can't hold their own for MK. They could hold their own for their own story/game.

Same with Sonya/jax ect they can't hold MK legacy on their own but as a group they could create their own game.

All of these mini stories together create MK.

@FJ:
While I agree yellow and blue can't hold their own for MK. They could hold their own for their own story/game.

Pretty much, this.
You could make a Sub Zero \ Scorpion game, in the style of Shaolin Monks (which I hope they do), and it would sell like hotcakes.
That alone should prove how important these 2 are to MK as a whole.

Flying Jinko/ Critical-Limit- That is the most impressive conversation/ argument I've seen on here. Very informative very nice you guys I need to learn to argue like that. :)

Pretty much, this.
You could make a Sub Zero \ Scorpion game, in the style of Shaolin Monks (which I hope they do), and it would sell like hotcakes.
That alone should prove how important these 2 are to MK as a whole.
Yea, I too would love that type of a game. The point I was trying to make was that even in a Scorpion-SubZero game, you need earthrealm and netherealm. You need them to be alligned to the lin kuei and Shirai Ryu, you need other characters like Noob Saibot, Quan Chi, Cyrax, Sektor etc involved in their stories. Only all of this put together can make it work.

I did read your post. You clearly said MK isnt all about the MK ninjas anymore, when the story clearly isn't.
Again, I was speaking in a different context there I wasn't talking about the story, I was talking more generally there. Ninja based characters have garnered more favoritism compared to others in the past and although a lot of it can be seen in MK9, NRS has shown that they have the creative talent to work beyond that.
All the games main story has really had a lot to do with Raiden. Scorpion hasn t been the poster boy since the beginning at all, it just that his popularity has dwarfed the others, because you know, he really is that damn good a character in the universe of MK.
The main reason people consider him a 'damn good character' is because he is a Ninja based character. Back then people hardly knew anything about Ninjas, their mysterious nature along with their attire got them branded as 'cool' and likeable. Thats what I think.
Also boy, why bring up the other ninjas if your comeback post states its about Scorpions story, I think you should read the OP, BROTHER!!!
My post was with reference to a general statement to another related discussion whereas your post was addressing the issue asked in the op. Your arguement was exactly what the OP asked to ignore.

Yea, I too would love that type of a game. The point I was trying to make was that even in a Scorpion-SubZero game, you need earthrealm and netherealm. You need them to be alligned to the lin kuei and Shirai Ryu, you need other characters like Noob Saibot, Quan Chi, Cyrax, Sektor etc involved in their stories. Only all of this put together can make it work.

You don't need noob quan chi ect.

Sure they would add hype, but I think commanders point was if you kill sektor cyrax qua. Noob ect. All you need are places and these 2 can continue their own arc. There is enough story for them to have their own game especially if it was done in the past.

Now it wouldn't be MK. Itd be blue and yellow story. Which was also your point as well as mine.

Their story can hold their own.

You don't need noob quan chi ect.

Sure they would add hype, but I think commanders point was if you kill sektor cyrax qua. Noob ect. All you need are places and these 2 can continue their own arc. There is enough story for them to have their own game especially if it was done in the past.

Now it wouldn't be MK. Itd be blue and yellow story. Which was also your point as well as mine.

Their story can hold their own.

I didn't mean for Noob, Quan, Sektor and Cyrax to be killed off, but Critical has the gist of what I was trying to get at.
You could do an MK 1 prequel game with Sub and Scorpion, that could do rather well.
You could also do a Sub and Scorpion game that's like Sub Zero's MK9 story ending, where they team up, and become a deadly force to be reckoned with.
None of which involve Sektor, Cyrax, Sektor, Noob or Quan Chi, and would also probably be a game that sells like hotcakes.

Scorpion and Sub Zero can do that.
I can't say that for very many other characters in the MK realm.

Edit:
Off-topic:
Hell you could probably also have them hunting down various members of the Lin Kuei and higher officials of other rival ninja clans, who helped plot the whole thing, and also introduce new characters THAT way.

Last edited:
I didn't mean for Noob, Quan, Sektor and Cyrax to be killed off, but Critical has the gist of what I was trying to get at.
You could do an MK 1 prequel game with Sub and Scorpion, that could do rather well.
You could also do a Sub and Scorpion game that's like Sub Zero's MK9 story ending, where they team up, and become a deadly force to be reckoned with.
None of which involve Sektor, Cyrax, Sektor, Noob or Quan Chi, and would also probably be a game that sells like hotcakes.

Scorpion and Sub Zero can do that.
I can't say that for very many other characters in the MK realm.

Edit:
Off-topic:
Hell you could probably also have them hunting down various members of the Lin Kuei and higher officials of other rival ninja clans, who helped plot the whole thing, and also introduce new characters THAT way.

Yea,the main reason they can hold their own is because of their large fanbase than anything else. Even in the fire and ice scenario you mentioned, if they team up they got to have some rivals because without rivals there wouldn't be a story to progress. In this case I think it would be desirable to bring in their rivals from the main MK story since I feel it would be more relatable rather than retcon their story and bring in new enemies. Im not saying retconing is a bad idea, just that I feel the game will feel better overall with already existing characters.

They sure have the potential to drive a game on their own, but it will be a whole lot better by including characters that were involved with them in the main story, imo.
This now leads me back to another question which I had asked before. Imagine a game based on scorpion and sub zero, just that they are not set in the mortal kombat universe but instead set in any other universe, say for example DC or SF. Would a game like that sell like hotcakes?

Would a game like that sell like hotcakes?

Depends on what it is.
Scorpion in a game like PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale may just help it to sell, just like Kratos brought along non-MK players to the PS3 for MK9.
Technically, yes, Sub Zero or Scorpion could help a game sell like hoctcakes if they were cameo characters.
Everyone knows them.

I don't really care what happens in the story since no story would probably stick and evolve from a certain point. mk10 will possibly have a connection storywise with mk9 but I don't believe all future MK games will be mk9's story continued in time. what I do care about is scorpion and everyone from the mk1-mk3 era being playable even as a bonus unlockable fighter if they take no part in story mode or simply die in it.