Killing off Scorpion

Kill Scorpion?

• Total voters
To even suggest the removal of franchise characters is taboo! This topic has no business even being discussed! Let me put this in terms that a 5-year-old would understand!

No Scorpion = no Mortal Kombat! There, end of discussion! Someone delete this damn thread so that we can have no evidence of its mere existence! This thread is heresy!
Franchise character? All MK characters are franchise characters lol. The game is called Mortal Kombat, not 'TEH RAGE OF SCORPION!!1!'. Can't deal with scorpion not being in a MK game? You were not a MK fan in the first and purely just a scorpion fan. MK isn't about TEH SUPER DUPER Ninjas anymore.

The Sub Zero and Scorpion rivaly is indeed getting old, but there is no other characters that could replace Sub Zero and Scorpion as the "new face" of MK. Sorry there isnt.

Instead of replacing them, I would rather MK be faceless and just let the dragon symbol do the talking. No one needs to be removed, and no one else needs to become the face of MK. Hopefully we can move toward a new direction in the MK series that doesnt include as much overuse and overpraising of a certain character.

To even suggest the removal of franchise characters is taboo! This topic has no business even being discussed! Let me put this in terms that a 5-year-old would understand!

No Scorpion = no Mortal Kombat! There, end of discussion! Someone delete this damn thread so that we can have no evidence of its mere existence! This thread is heresy!

The reason this thread is here is to stimulate intelligent conversation. And last time I checked there where sixty something other kombatats that are also there besides scorpion. Yeah it's taboo because revamping drab old stories is a bad thing.

Dude calm down. Why are you having such a hissy fit about this??? It's just a friendly discussion No need to go Super-Fanboy on us. If you dont like the topic at hand then dont even bother entering this thread

The Sub Zero and Scorpion rivaly is indeed getting old, but there is no other characters that could replace Sub Zero and Scorpion as the "new face" of MK. Sorry there isnt.

Instead of replacing them, I would rather MK be faceless and just let the dragon symbol do the talking. No one needs to be removed, and no one else needs to become the face of MK. Hopefully we can move toward a new direction in the MK series that doesnt include as much overuse and overpraising of a certain character.

Completely off topic, but it would seriously be the most badass thang ever if the dragon was the narrator for story mode. You see him overlooking the battlefield as a giant before he begins talking, then later to see him as small as a snake, narrating whats going on in the throne room.

adding some more creativity to Scorpion would be nice, but honestly I dont see the point in removing him either.

His story may be shallow to some, and I agree I would like to see him do something new, but the fact that so little is known about him and his simple story of revenge is what makes him a badass in other people's eyes. Yeah he's kinda just famous for looking cool and being mysterious, but so what? So be it. He has been and always will be popular and theres nothing anyone can do about it.

Also, no one in MK is killed off forever, and Scorpion would be the last to go anyway. I know we are going by a "what if" situation here, but lets be reasonable. If anything he would just be left out of one game and come back.

EDIT : ok, Robot Smoke and Motaro may never come back unfortunately, but yeah I cant see scorpion leaving.

Last edited:
This exactly. A MK game can do well without Scorpion and Sub-Zero and people who can't look past that aren't really true MK fans. There is a lot more to MK than just a rivalry between a yellow and blue Ninja, there are other areas with more potential to be explored.

This is the most unfair statement I've seen yet I'm not an mk fan because I don't want to see scorpion eliminated permanently? Anyone in Mk can be removed and the story can still go on. This includes raiden, quan chi ect ect. Bad guys can always be made up.

I like raiden and jade, but I still admit both of them can die and story will still progress.

If you are willing to replace him why can't we replace characters people care less about first? Like Kano ect ect.

Sounds like you and Viking poodle just want him gone to be gone. And haven't provided anything besides "he's just in a cycle" which almost everyone in the cast is on a cycle.

Its a slippery slope, one character gone? Yes the story can always continue.

You could destroy earthrealm and the story can continue.

What it is is what I want out of the story and I don't see a reason to can him compared to the rest of the cast.

This is the most unfair statement I've seen yet I'm not an mk fan because I don't want to see scorpion eliminated permanently? Anyone in Mk can be removed and the story can still go on. This includes raiden, quan chi ect ect. Bad guys can always be made up.

I like raiden and jade, but I still admit both of them can die and story will still progress.

If you are willing to replace him why can't we replace characters people care less about first? Like Kano ect ect.

Sounds like you and Viking poodle just want him gone to be gone. And haven't provided anything besides "he's just in a cycle" which almost everyone in the cast is on a cycle.

Its a slippery slope, one character gone? Yes the story can always continue.

You could destroy earthrealm and the story can continue.

What it is is what I want out of the story and I don't see a reason to can him compared to the rest of the cast.

I didn't mean you won't be a fan if you don't want scorpion killed off, I meant you are not a true fan of MK if you won't support a MK game without Scorpion or Sub Zero, since MK isn't about them anymore, it has moved well beyond that.

Also the question asked was in a hypothetical manner, and I gave my opinion ignoring the fact that he is a fan favorite and the poster boy of MK and solely based on his story. Scorpion's story along with Reptile's and Baraka's were nothing but repeated over and over throughout the original timeline devoid of any real development. It sure does help keep up his persona and motives but can't it done in other ways than going to the same phase all over again?

I don't think Scorpion is going anywhere, considering that Boon is still the head of NRS and Scorpion is the NRS logo. I want to see more done with his character, but I'm not sure where it could go since Sub-Zero died. It would be cool to see him kill off Quan-Chi and join the other side, it will give him a chance for more dialogue.

I didn't mean you won't be a fan if you don't want scorpion killed off, I meant you are not a true fan of MK if you won't support a MK game without Scorpion or Sub Zero, since MK isn't about them anymore, it has moved well beyond that.

Also the question asked was in a hypothetical manner, and I gave my opinion ignoring the fact that he is a fan favorite and the poster boy of MK and solely based on his story. Scorpion's story along with Reptile's and Baraka's were nothing but repeated over and over throughout the original timeline devoid of any real development. It sure does help keep up his persona and motives but can't it done in other ways than going to the same phase all over again?

Ok, I would continue my support of mk even of he died. I'm also ignoring the poster boy and fan favorite just like bbblp asked. Tarkatantrash keeps bringing up those points when they are to be ignored lol.

All I'm saying is, I dont want him gone for good, I don't mind seeing his story progress I was just pointing out what could be the result of asking such a thing. You might end up with goody two shoes scorpion.

I just don't see how killing him off gains any benefits. Quan chi and subzero can progress with or without scorpion. He isn't holding them back he just happens to be a thorn in their side.

Tell me exactly what is benefitted
From killing him?

Without Scorpion or Sub Zero, since MK isn't about them anymore, it has moved well beyond that.
Since when was Mortal Kombat about them anyway lol? Sub and Scorp have been side characters forever. I fail to see why people would want them killed off it defys logic totally. The only reason i can see anyone wanting them killed is simply due to the fact that they are dubstep listening hipsters with no grasp on reality what so ever. Have no idea of the value of money and decide to fight angainst anything that can be considered a poster boy or a mascott.

Sticking it to the man!!!

Ok, I would continue my support of mk even of he died. I'm also ignoring the poster boy and fan favorite just like bbblp asked. Tarkatantrash keeps bringing up those points when they are to be ignored lol.

All I'm saying is, I dont want him gone for good, I don't mind seeing his story progress I was just pointing out what could be the result of asking such a thing. You might end up with goody two shoes scorpion.

I just don't see how killing him off gains any benefits. Quan chi and subzero can progress with or without scorpion. He isn't holding them back he just happens to be a thorn in their side.

Tell me exactly what is benefitted
From killing him?

By taking him out of the story we can progress stories of characters like Quan Chi and Sub Zero abit more since whenever Scorpion's storyline interfere, they to get pulled into his endless 'revenge' loop thus curtailing their story potential as well. I agree Scorpion's tale touches most of us in an emotional level, but seeing the same thing over and over got stale imo. Being a specter he will always have his rage, his thirst for revenge just augments it abit. Im sure there are lot of ways to for him to keep his current personality even after he gets his revenge and he need not be changed completely, just developed. Kuai Liang developed naturally over a period of time and was very well received, the same can be done with Scorpion. If they don't develop him and just stick to his endless loop for revenge he will eventually just turn into a character who is lost in his own misery, without any real impact on the main thus making him redundant.

Since when was Mortal Kombat about them anyway lol? Sub and Scorp have been side characters forever. I fail to see why people would want them killed off it defys logic totally. The only reason i can see anyone wanting them killed is simply due to the fact that they are dubstep listening hipsters with no grasp on reality what so ever. Have no idea of the value of money and decide to fight angainst anything that can be considered a poster boy or a mascott.

Sticking it to the man!!!
Since the very first Mk lol? Good job at dissecting and editing my post and changing its meaning entirely. By 'them' I meant the Ninja based characters if you didn't catch it already.

Also this discussion is solely based on the perspective of Scorpion's story. Do read the OP next time before posting in a thread.

A MK game can do well without Scorpion and Sub-Zero and people who can't look past that aren't really true MK fans.

I love you, FJ, but this is just a pure bullshit statement.
To say that you have an opinion on something is fine, but to say that people who don't agree with you aren't true MK fans is BULLSHIT!
I've kollected every single MK game since MK 1 on my Sega Genesis, and am a huge fanatic of the series since day 1, and I'm one of the people that is of the mindset that Scorpion and Sub Zero = the Ken and Ryu of MK.
Every other character can be gone and MK will sell well as long as those 2 are in it.
Deadly Alliance and Deception are proof of that.
UMK3 is proof of that as well.
I, for one, wouldn't buy an MK game if it didn't have them in it.
To you it's "childish" because you don't agree with it, but to me it's voting with my wallet.
I didn't want Freddy Krueger and Kenshi in MK9, so I just didn't buy them.
I bought the compatibility packs that went with them.
Why should I be forced to buy something that I don't agree with?
So that people can put me in a box of what an MK fan SHOULD be, and say "You're not a true MK fan if __________"?
What gives?

I could see why you don't want them in, but be open other opinions too.

By taking him out of the story we can progress stories of characters like Quan Chi and Sub Zero abit more since whenever Scorpion's storyline interfere, they to get pulled into his endless 'revenge' loop thus curtailing their story potential as well. I agree Scorpion's tale touches most of us in an emotional level, but seeing the same thing over and over got stale imo. Being a specter he will always have his rage, his thirst for revenge just augments it abit. Im sure there are lot of ways to for him to keep his current personality even after he gets his revenge and he need not be changed completely, just developed. Kuai Liang developed naturally over a period of time and was very well received, the same can be done with Scorpion. If they don't develop him and just stick to his endless loop for revenge he will eventually just turn into a character who is lost in his own misery, without any real impact on the main thus making him redundant.

Since the very first Mk lol? Good job at dissecting and editing my post and changing its meaning entirely. By 'them' I meant the Ninja based characters if you didn't catch it already.

Also this discussion is solely based on the perspective of Scorpion's story. Do read the OP next time before posting in a thread.

You contradict yourself by telling me kuai lang developed. Scorpion does not impede on subzero's story nor quan chis.

It only appears that way to you because the most recent game has to repeat history because it is history. Scorpion in no way hurts quan chis story, well because quan chi didn't even have a chapter in story mode you had to only settle for his ladder ending.

His story isn't revolved around scorpion like you make it sound. Scorpion is revolved around quan chi not the other way around.

I love you, FJ, but this is just a pure bullshit statement.
To say that you have an opinion on something is fine, but to say that people who don't agree with you aren't true MK fans is BULLSHIT!
I've kollected every single MK game since MK 1 on my Sega Genesis, and am a huge fanatic of the series since day 1, and I'm one of the people that is of the mindset that Scorpion and Sub Zero = the Ken and Ryu of MK.
Every other character can be gone and MK will sell well as long as those 2 are in it.
Deadly Alliance and Deception are proof of that.
UMK3 is proof of that as well.
I, for one, wouldn't buy an MK game if it didn't have them in it.
To you it's "childish" because you don't agree with it, but to me it's voting with my wallet.
I didn't want Freddy Krueger and Kenshi in MK9, so I just didn't buy them.
I bought the compatibility packs that went with them.
Why should I be forced to buy something that I don't agree with?
So that people can put me in a box of what an MK fan SHOULD be, and say "You're not a true MK fan if __________"?
What gives?

I could see why you don't want them in, but be open other opinions too.

I actually do like Scorpion and Sub-Zero, they both are up there as my favorite characters. Most of what I posted in this thread is in respect to the purview of the discussion, which is story alone.

I am not saying I don't want Scorpion and Sub-Zero in the future games, I sure as hell want them, but I feel MK can do without them, given the creative talent NRS has shown in MK9. If people say that they won't buy a MK game which doesn't have Scorpion and Sub Zero, I see them as just scorpion and Sub Zero fans alone since they are not appreciating everything else MK has to offer. Sure they are iconic characters but what about the remainder of the roster? MK surely would not have succeded if it was all about Scorp and Sub. Their rivalry was already stale by the time of DA and deception clicked mainly because of the amount of lore it introduced into the MK world and not because of them. Both scorpion and sub zero hardly had any role in that game. MK shaolin monks too would have done well without them being playable.

For me Mortal Kombat is not about a few iconic characters, but all of them, even majority of the obscure ones as even though they lacked originality, they did contribute and enrich the MK world. Scorpion and Sub Zero do contribute to this as well, but they offer NOTHING without the world they are potrayed in and the presence of all other characters.

In short I like MK for its entirety and not just a few iconic characters and I find it difficult to believe that people who boycott an entire game for the absence of two characters are even fans of the game, I see them more as fanboys of the characters. Sure you may not agree with their decision if at all it happens but can't you be more open minded and see what all MK has to offer and the treamondous potential it has got away from those Ninjas?