2 new Castlevania games

C-Sword

Castlevania: Mirror Of Fate for the 3DS and Lord Of Shadows 2 for consoles.

Castlevania: Mirror of Fate

- Nearly a 1.5 year development cycle.
- Stars two different playable characters.
- Features co-operative play with the prospect of 3DS and Wii U being able to interact with each other.

- The game is indeed a 2D Castlevania experience.

- Like mentioned in the rumor PGN received back in 2010, the goal was to find creative ways to utilize the 3DS’ cameras and this has been achieved in part due to the very name of the game, “Mirror of Fate”.
- The forward facing camera will act as a mirror and the outward facing cameras will come into play for a new puzzle solving mechanic.

- A Wii U version of the same game was in contention when I reported the “shocker” announcement in 2011, but has since become Konami’s decision to give the system one Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2 (not exclusively, however, as other platforms will too see a release, including Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita).

- More interestingly perhaps, was the idea that Mirror of Fate on Wii U would be the same game as its 3DS brother, treat the U-Control as the 3DS’ bottom screen and your TV as the 3DS’ top screen, be able to play the game across both platforms, use the Wii U’s forward facing camera as a mirror to “capture your reflection and reveal your fate”, and so on.

- Instead, Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2 on Wii U will be a different game which was safer for Konami, since it could 1) be an upgraded port of the Xbox 360/PS3 build and 2) still be able to retain some of its originally intended plans when it was Mirror of Fate, including some 3DS connectivity.

source

Damn I was hoping for HOD 2. I would love to see another xbla game. Also I'm glad it's coming out on the wii u that thing looks amazing!

This is delicious!!! Life long fan, Castlevania, Mortal Kombat, SF, RES Evil and Tekken. Castlevania was the first game i fell in love with. Gonna be a long wait for these, well for me anyway.

Teaser on Konami"s fb page

9c3Oq.jpg

The Dragon Returns on 5.31.12

http://www.thedragonreturns.com/

1di1z.jpg

- deep combat mechanics
- involves Trevor Belmont
- Fight with Trevor's version of the Combat Cross
- strong attacks with X
- wider-reaching attacks with Y
- secondary weapons like the boomerang-like glaive and electric bomb
- use these with A
- grab enemies with R
- block and dodge with L
- involves light and shadow magic returns
- earn experience points to unlock new combos
- these include launching foes into the air, smashing enemies down to the ground and more
- includes skeletons, axe-wielding undead and more

Mirror of Fate features polygon-based graphics, but it plays primarily in 2D and 2.5D, with the occasional shift into a fully 3D environment. Whereas Lords of Shadow had an emphasis on combat and action, Mirror of Fate encourages nonlinear exploration and discovery.

The story for Mirror of Fate picks up 25 years after the end of the events that played out in Lords of Shadow. Dracula is gearing up to give humanity hell, and a young vampire hunter named Trevor Belmont steps up to stop him before things get too hairy.

The name “Trevor Belmont” should ring a very familiar bell for Castlevania fans, but again, Mirror of Fate takes place within Lords of Shadows’ continuity reboot, so this is not the same Trevor you know and (presumably) love. You should still recognize some of the threads connecting the characters, though: the gameplay in Mirror of Fate stretches across time, and players will eventually be able to control Trevor’s descendent, Simon Belmont. Two other unnamed characters are in the game as well. As Mirror of Fate progresses, you’re able to switch between the four characters at predetermined points and work through Dracula’s castle during different time periods. Each warrior boasts different abilities, and even though they’re exploring the same castle, there are marked differences between their experiences. Some paths may be closed off to characters that can’t double-jump, for example.

Even though Mercury Steam primarily wants Mirror of Fate to be about exploration, combat still plays a big role in the game. Simon wields the fabled Vampire Killer whip, while Trevor utilizes the Combat Cross that made its debut in Lords of Shadow. Trevor can attack enemies directly with the X button, or execute a weaker, wide-reaching assault with the Y button, which is ideal when he’s surrounded by enemies. Trevor also has access to defensive blocks and dodges, can use light and shadow magic, and can wield secondary weapons like a glaive and an electric bomb.

Simon Belmont doesn’t have his ancestor’s talent for magic, but he has some familiar secondary weapons at his beck and call, such as throwing axes and burning oil tha
t works well against crowds of baddies. He can also summon mystical guardians to fight for him, or protect him from harm.

http://ds.about.com/od/3DSPreviews/a/Castlevania-Lords-Of-Shadow-Mirror-Of-Fate-Preview.htm

Last edited:
Glad that they are involving the classic characters like Trevor into the story. At the same time, I hope Gabriel and Zobek are in it, I don't want that ending to go to waste for nothing.

I loved the combat system in Lords of shadow and I found it the most refined, deep, strategic and fun compared to other third person adventure games Ive played. Glad that they are sticking to it. Can't wait.

Trailer of Lords of Shadow 2

*Spoiler Warning* Do not watch if you are yet to play Lords of Shadow and not want the ending spoiled for you.

My dreams have come true!!

Best trailer I have seen this year, beating even the Guardians of Middle Earth one which I mentioned earlier lol.

Last edited:
No, its the guy with the silver hair whose face they don't show, he unsheaths his sword facing Gabriel. Its just after the title is shown.

Lol, I know who's Alucard, I just missed the end of the video, cause I was at work, I thought it ended after they showed the title.

I think it is Alucard.

You can see his reflection in his sword, and it looks like he has red eyes.
But now that I really think about it, it can't be him.
Vampires don't have reflections, like you see in the beginning how Gabriel walks past a mirror but you don't see him.
WHO ARE YOU MYSTERY MAN?!??!

I think it is Alucard.

You can see his reflection in his sword, and it looks like he has red eyes.
But now that I really think about it, it can't be him.
Vampires don't have reflections, like you see in the beginning how Gabriel walks past a mirror but you don't see him.
WHO ARE YOU MYSTERY MAN?!??!

Alucard was half vampire so that could explain his reflection, also the trailer was awesome as hell, I'm super hype for LoS2. I hope the man is Alucard, it would be crazy to see Gabriel vs Alucard.

Man this raises a lot more questions. Is Gabriel Dracula or just 'Dracul' the norweigan term for dragon, as he said in the LoS1 ending? Also if that is Alucard, shouldn't he be Gabriel's son if he is really dracula?

Did a bit of reading on this. Since castlevania is primarily based on Bram Stoker's fiction and real life personalities such as Vlad Dracul. Dracula in romanian means 'son of Dracul'. In the LoS1 ending Gabriel says 'Eu sont Dracul' and not dracula even though both are words in romanian. So Im guessing he maybe the father of Dracula and grandfather of Alucard. It would also make more sense since LoS1 took place first in the timline, during the 11th century. Although the devs considered LoS as a reboot, I think it can be canon if they follow this route inspite of slight retcons.

Am I reading to much into all this? Maybe so, but I still can't wait to see how this unfolds. :p

Flyman is really onto something with this!
You may crack this game before it even comes out lol.

But as for the new 2d Castlevania game, I really hope there are new sprites.
Tired of them using the same ones from SoTN.

just so you guys know it does show a small part of his face it's in his blade, at 2:46 to 48 It shows what looks like a black eye and sliver hair think of Dracula from Sotn how he had black clothing, pale white skin and sliver-ish white hair. it's only a small glimpse though. :)