Anyone else think Mortal Kombat is alot like "Big Trouble In Little China" ?

-Joh-

Anyone else think Mortal Kombat is alot like "Big Trouble In Little China" ?

Me & a mate were talkin' bout it today ...

-Creepy old asian magicians.
-Dude's that look like Raiden & shoot lightning.
-Jack Burton = Johnny Cage that drives a truck.
-His side-kick is Liu Kang
-And the hairy monster thing that kinda looks like a two-armed Goro. (sorta)

Dunno. Maybe I'm looking to far into it and having a "brain fart".

Re: Anyone else think Mortal Kombat is alot like "Big Trouble In Little China" ?

Raiden was based off that lighting dude.

Everything else wasnt

Re: Anyone else think Mortal Kombat is alot like "Big Trouble In Little China" ?

I have heard of someone else made that comparison to that film, but inspirations for go far beyond a single film.

Johnny Cage was modelled after Jean-Claude Van Damme. It was originally planned for Van Damme to play the part in the game that would become MK, but it didn't work out.

Liu Kang is clearly based on Bruce Lee.

Last edited:

Raiden was based off that lighting dude.

Everything else wasnt

C'mon, dude, that "Lo Pan" magician guys so Shang Tsung.
JCVD = Johnny Cage. Yeah I can buy that. So glad the french man didn't get to taint MK. Apparently he was supposed to be the original "Predator" too, come to think of it. Glad that didn't happen either.
Bruce Lee = Liu.K ... true.

Ninjas: I'm guessing they were just token-ninjas for a fight game.
Kano & Sonya: No idea...

This touches on the subject of a TRMK article I'd like to do in the near future that goes into some of the things that inspired MK (some confirmed, some not so confirmed, but obvious). Here's a peek.

http://mkbible.org/tmp/mk1-kang.png
http://mkbible.org/tmp/mk1-cage.png

That's an awesome idea, I'd love to see that. Even though a lot of that knowledge has been passed around the community for a while, I don't think I've ever seen it all put together into one nice article.

I see where you are coming from . especially with raiden and shang sung .

That's an awesome idea, I'd love to see that. Even though a lot of that knowledge has been passed around the community for a while, I don't think I've ever seen it all put together into one nice article.

I've questioned the usefulness of such an article, but threads like this go to show that there's still some fans who may not know certain things. And with the 20th anniversary coming up, it seems like a good time to do it. If someone learns at least one new thing from it, then I'd feel like I did my job. :D

Ninjas: I'm guessing they were just token-ninjas for a fight game.
Kano & Sonya: No idea...

Kano = Terminator
Sonya = Was supposed to be a male, but they felt they needed a female character so Stryker/Jax got changed to Sonya.

Welcome to 2012, dude, lol. This conversation has been brought up millions of times before.

Anyone who says that Shang Tsung was not taken from David Lo Pan is a derphead. It is so obvious, right down to the creepy long nails, no matter what anyone says.

539571-lo_pan_old.jpg

390604-davidlopan_large.jpg

ShangTsung.jpg

thumbnail.aspx

Even the whole young/old concept.

So glad the french man didn't get to taint MK.

I really shouldn't be correcting you because I'm not exactly proud of this, but JCV is Belgian, not French. Ugh... There, I said it, now leave me alone. :p

I really shouldn't be correcting you because I'm not exactly proud of this, but JCV is Belgian, not French. Ugh... There, I said it, now leave me alone. :p

Hmm. Google said your right. Dammit. Ya learn something new every day. French, Belgian ... the guys still a tool. You're Australian - which means your not :)

JCVD is awesome.

He was one of the reasons the SF movie was awful but, yeah, his serious movies are good.

Sly is still better, though <3

yeah, the first game does. The later games not so much.

So the original MK will always have that old cheesy kug fu vibe, and BTLC type characters

Found a clip where Boon explains the character designs in MK1. At the 6min mark ...

Last edited: