The Perfect Review?

n9195v

images

Hey I want to start reviewing movies on tumbler or some other blogging esque site.
I need your help. I'm open to suggestions. I would appreciate any advice or opinions.

So I have a few questions.

~What is the perfect review?

~What do you guys hope for when you search for reviews?

~Do you like reviews that give number scores (8/10)?
Or maybe grades would be better(B+)?

~Do you prefer one score or many scores that are tallied up into one finale score?

~What don't you like about movie reviews?

~What do you think most reviews are lacking?

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Try your best not to be bias like other movie reviews, and I like the 1-10 scale vs the Letter system.

1. What is the perfect review?
A. Its kind of difficult for me to answer because honestly I don't know how a perfect or near perfect review should be. But I think Chris Stuckmann at youtube does a fine job, I would prefer reviews like how he does it.

2. What do you guys hope for when you search for review.
A. I would like it to be consise, to the point, honest and unbiased.

3. Do you prefer number scores or grades?
A. I prefer numbers. I think it offers a bit more flexibility, especially when you compare movies.

4. Do you prefer one score or many scores that are tallied up into one finale score?
A. I think an average of individual scores will be good.

5. What don't you like about movie reviews?
A. I don't like how in some reviews people keep harping upon some insignicant things and make it seem like it destroyed the movie. I understand that they got to weigh in both the pros and cons but while doing so they shouldn't blow up things that hardly matter.

Hope it helped and Goodluck!

Perfect review?

Not only does it review the movie but also keeps the watcher entertained with things like humor and such. I don't want to have to just skip to the number/letter score because the reviewer is just summarizing the movie.

Hope?

I hope it's unbiased. I don't want some guy to give the Avengers a 10/10 just because he's a Marvel fan.

Number or grades?

Numbers.

One score or multiple?

I like just one score of 1-10.

What don't I like?

Same thing Flying Jinko said.

What do you think most reviews are lacking?

Humor.

I want someone that is unbiased to review the movie.

I prefer number scores. Preferably 1/10 instead of 10/100.

~Do you prefer one score or many scores that are tallied up into one finale score?

One score.

Same thing Flying Jinko said.

And just like Shirayuki Mizore, I want there to be some humor.

What is the perfect review?

There is no such thing as a perfect review, as they are inherently subjective. What you get out of a movie may not be the same as another reviewer depending on personal taste. However, some reviews are articulated better than others. I like to think of a review as a critique. You try to inform the audience the the merits of the film and things that could have been improved upon.

I like reviews to be concisely written, and thoughts well-organized. Humor is a plus, but it shouldn't be forced as timing is important if you want to use it.

I personally feel scores/grades are not necessary. They do not measure anything objective and it seems like people make too much of a fuss about them than necessary. Going outside of movies for a bit, so many people here were making a big stink when MK9 reviews got scores less than a 9/10...it's as if they are using these scores to confirm their own biases. I prefer to let the writing speak for itself.

That being said, if you insist on having it, a numerical score from a scale of of 1-10 are more flexible than letters.

As stated previously, you don't really need it, but if you want to take that route...

Having several scores in categories such as script, acting, cinematography, or anything you feel that makes an important aspects of the movie, followed by an overall score. Don't bog it down with too many categories though.

I find a lot of reviewers are incoherent and tend to go into a rant about about something they don't like.

Most reviews do not offer suggestions to the author/creators that will help them improve their work in the future.

Last edited:
So I have a few questions.

I am not a professional reviewer but I will try and answer your questions.

Can't speak for everyone else but I like don't read reviews honestly. If I read a review I usually judge it before hand, I watch movies on recommendations. Generally, I look for if it has a tight screenplay, and if it is not, is it open ended for interpretation. I like to read all aspects from cinematography to score.

With films I like a 0/100, it gives a little more accurate score for me. I like the 'out of 100' for films, '0 out of 10' for games.

If you are just starting out, I would just do an overall score. But if you want to break it down and get into the aesthetics of a film, sure, I'd like to read that too. But it could be over jarring at first.

Bias!

Well, nothing, unless they truly did not watch the picture.

Thanks in advanced.

You're welcome.

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to try my best to deliver concise reviews without bias.To the point reviews that stay on topic and don't go off on tangents.

In my reviews I'm going to try to talk about the quality of the film as a whole barely mentioning plot points. I'm against spoilers no matter how mild they are. Like I'm talking about little to no plot description at all. Also I plan on making written reviews, some of you seemed like you thought I was making a vlog. I'm not I plan on making a good old fashion blog.

I'm not going to try to incorporate humor until I know exactly what I'm doing.

I'm thinking of this format.

~Movie Poster~

~Review~
I'll start with the quality of the story like character development and atmosphere. Than eventually move into more technical aspects like cinematography and score. ;)

~Trailer~
Just in case people are on the fence about seeing the movie the trailer is right in front of them.

~Pros and Cons~
This will summarize the review and justify the finale rating.

~Number Rating (8/10 )~

~Meta-critic Score~
This site averages all professional reviews. I think a credited second opinion will be appreciated.

~Similar Movies/recommendations for people who enjoyed the film.~
I think this is a great idea. Thanks THE JOHNNY ROOK.​

What do you think of this format?

Thats a really good starting format, especially with the inclusion of the metacritic scores and similar movie recommendations.

I like that format n9. Great idea to set it up with the development, stories and once you get the reader intrigued, set the trailer. By then they will be interested enough to read on. Set it unbiased, let the reader get a sense of what they would be getting into, then you can start getting nitpicky and technical.

Also the recommendations is great. For example, you like Eraserhead? Go watch Begotten. You enjoyed Videodrome? Try watching The Fly or Altered States. Similar story elements, director, etc.

House of the Devil

95 min
Directed, Written, and Edited by Ti West

images

The House of the Devil is a slow paced shocker that masterfully builds tension throughout the entire film. It's a great homage to classic 1970's and 1980's horror films. It emulates them to a T without ripping them off. The mode this movie sets with its slow pacing is exceptional. It's not afraid to take its time in building atmosphere which is an extremely crucial aspect of horror films that is often overlooked these days. Some of the acting of the secondary characters is a little choppy but the lead actress, Jocelin Donahue, does a good job so it doesn't take too much away from the film. The score can be a little obnoxious at times but it really complements the 1980's aspect of the film. Visually it's very interesting while staying true to 1980's cinematography. Some parts of the film are, for lack of better words, cheesy but it doesn't tarnish the film too much. Overall this is a good film and a must watch for any horror fan.

Pros: Solid Build Up / Rising Tension / Great Pacing / Genuine 80's Feel / Appropriate Soundtrack / Fun to Look at.

Cons: Acting of Minor Characters / Unintentionally Corny

7/10

Metacritic Score 73
Recommendations: The Innkeepers, Rosemary's Baby, House of 1000 Corpses, and The Sentinel

well what do you guys think? And thanks again!

I really like your review. You weighed out both the pros and the cons, I didn't feel any bias vibe throughout the review, and you didn't mention any spoilers. I also like the format that you gave the review.

Good job!

Good review,I have wanted to see House of the Devil for months now but next time, write a couple more paragraphs. I want to get more then 25 characters then hit enter. Review this film. Tell me how good it is. It is on instant.

I agree mostly with flawless

Minus the grading.

I think you should use alphameric version the A+ A A- ect ect.

And make a "Legend" of what each one means to YOU. that way you don't need 3-4 sentences explaining what audience you think it's for.

For example you might rate a B- and say it's not for everyone, particularly probably fun only for people who enjoy this genre/series.

Ect ect.

Just a quick general synopsis. The reason people care about this kind of thing. Is they just want a super duper QUICK reference to what the community might look at this movie as either crap/decent/good/go buy right now wtf.

Some people don't actually WANT to read the whole way througha review and just want the grade.

OR

You could go for something different.

Make like a Color Scheme: and each HUE of a color means it's something different. (Pie graph or something similar)

like 40% blue 30% green 30% orange

blue = Emotional/drama green = Action orange = Comedy

ect ect ect.

Put a % of what kind of people would like what.

For example if it's only got 10% comedy, Someone looking for a funny movie knows to avoid it. ect ect.

I dunno just a suggestion.

PRobably more work than it's worth.

It just recently hit me and my friend when we were looking for "Comedic anime" And like 89% of animes have comedy as a tag. Even if it only had like 5% comedy.

So a piegraph type chart at this time would've been EXTREMELY helpful to us.

Last edited:
^^^ That edit was almost worthy of double posting. Srsly.

Edit: I disagree with Crit. You are not trying to retard people and scare them away. Piegraphs and all that you are getting to sophisticated (I could not even spell that word yesterday). You have a great format, just beef it up.

I think his format is great, just needs to beef it up. Why are you getting all technical and wet over it? What would a pie graph benefit?

I jsut explained my scenario of looking for comedy in anime.

and how it wasn't a simple task at all.

I'm just putting a problem I had with reviews out there. And a solution I think would work for it.

I wanted the GENERAL theme to be comedy. But I got super serious ones back to back despite having the comedy tag. Just because there is 1 half/humor not even that funny parts here and there.

How much of a specific theme is in a movie can make and break me on a purchase.

I mean did you see Aeon Flux(the movie)? the trailers made the movie look action packed. But the movie's action scenes were actually pretty limited to what the trailer suggested. Another time this could be helpful. As Even though I somewhat enjoyed the movie, I know people who hated it because of the lack of action they thought was going to ensue.

It's just a suggestion he can take it or leave it.

It solves a problem I HAVE when I'm looking for a specific genre.