IDK why but i lose respect to anyone who

I do them about 65% to 75% of the time that I win online (which isn't very often :laugh: because I suck), but I'll also change it up and do stage fatalities, depending on what stage I'm fighting.
Chances are that when I play online I'll choose a different character each time anyways, to spice things up. ;-)

If you stopped doing Fatalities, you might get better since you would have more time actually fighting rather than spending it watching something you've already seen anyway.

Just sayin'... :p

I wouldn't.
Something like that would lose the appeal of the fatality completely, in the first place, which is one of the things (aside from gameplay) that sets Mortal Kombat apart.
Finishing moves are supposed to be just that; "Finishing moves."
They're not super moves \ super combo moves.

How is not a finishing move? It's a victory for the player while killing an opponent in the process. It's not a super move because a super can be activated any time as long as meter is filled sufficiently, and regardless of how close you are to winning a match.

Last edited:
If you stopped doing Fatalities, you might get better since you would have more time actually fighting rather than spending it watching something you've already seen anyway.

Fatalities take a MAXIMUM of 15 seconds.
Count it.
It takes a lot longer than that to choose your character AGAIN, between opponents, as well as you opponents selecting their character and the 30 seconds for the loading screen to load your next match.
I've spend count less hours in practice mode, on maximum difficulty getting better, and 5% of my time online.
15 seconds isn't a big deal.
Don't exaggerate.

How is not a finishing move? It's a victory for the player while killing an opponent in the process. It's not a super move because a super can be activated any time as long as meter is filled sufficiently, and regardless of how close you are to winning a match.

If you implement it in the way that was suggested above VikingPoodle's post, it wouldn't be a finishing move.
Finishing move, in the MK universe has always = at the end of the match.
Doing a fatality while the fight is going on takes away from the point of the fatality being at the END of the match.

My bad. I wasn't trying to insult, I was just trying to say that Finishing moves are key to a Mortal Kombat game. It's not to rub it in someone's face; and even if it was, I have even more respect for someone who takes their loss like a man and not a sore loser.

You guys are missing my point.

It's not that im a sore loser.

It's more like to me your just show boating which makes you a gloater.

Once again I'm not saying fatalities are disrespectful. I was just pointing out the effects and the way it's implemented is regardless gonna offend somebody and it's because of it's design.

The design flawless talks about in blazblue
Doesn't have that attribute because conditions must be met and your punished if you fail. So it's more highly respected.

My only gripe is babality and when someone purposefully plays terrible and less effective just to try to feed an ego.

You have to understand that the way it's used causes resentment. And never shows a courteous GG feel.

I never get butt hurt over a fatality but I can see and understand why other people might. Why do you think mk has a bad scene? Fatalities themselves are probably a big contributer.

If an ******* wins in street fighter to show boat he has to send you a message. In MK it's as easy as spamming stance switch jump around then fatality. The fact that in SF people are too lazy to send a message can give atleast the fake vibe that it's friendlier thus making people more friendly who would otherwise also be in a bad mood because the last 5 people wouldve showboated if givin the chance.

I think the system itself contributes to the bad community.

If an ******* wins in street fighter to show boat he has to send you a message. In MK it's as easy as spamming stance switch jump around then fatality. The fact that in SF people are too lazy to send a message can give atleast the fake vibe that it's friendlier thus making people more friendly who would otherwise also be in a bad mood because the last 5 people wouldve showboated if givin the chance.

I think the system itself contributes to the bad community.

I don't think Fatalities contribute to MK getting a bad rep; it's part of the game.
People in the arcade days used to perform fatalities EVERY time someone played another person.
Fatalities have almost become part of the culture that IS MK.
Why is it any different online?
Because I can't see you face-to-face?
Even casuals who have maybe stumbled upon the game once or twice expect to see a fatality at the end of a match.

People sending hate messages when you win, tea-bagging or rage-quitting sends a bad message about the MK fan base.
The fighting game community, in general, gets a bad rep because of this.
Has nothing to do with fatalities.

If you fought some random jerk that kept sending you hate messages (assuming that you would want to put up with that person), and he did a fatality on you online, then I could see your point.
Amongst friends, though, who I laugh and share jokes with IRL, I see NO harm.

Blaming the crappy fanbase on fatalities is completely false.
People just can't stand losing, and granted no one LIKES losing, but it's part of the game.
If a person beat you and did a fatality on you, accept it and move on to the next match.
I see the people who pull the plug on a fatality being just as bad as the people who RQ when they lose.
They're still RQ'ing because they lost, and it makes them look like a sore loser.

If anything the reason that MK9 has a bad rep online, it's because of the scrubs who go into beginner rooms and seek people who have low win ratios, just so they can keep their record high.
Combine this with the people who rage-quit, when they're losing or having a fatality pulled on them, and to any outside person it would look like the MK Kommunity is full of cry babies.
Fatalities have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
This thread is exactly why the MK online community is in such bad shape.

Become proficient and competitive at Street Fighter. You won't have to worry about "disrespect."

Fatalities take a MAXIMUM of 15 seconds.
Count it.
It takes a lot longer than that to choose your character AGAIN, between opponents, as well as you opponents selecting their character and the 30 seconds for the loading screen to load your next match.
I've spend count less hours in practice mode, on maximum difficulty getting better, and 5% of my time online.
15 seconds isn't a big deal.
Don't exaggerate.

And you don't think you could be back at the Select screen or the lobby that much quicker? Yeah, 15 seconds isn't a big deal, accept for when you do it over and over and over. Perhaps if/when you were better, you'll get tired of doing them since you will have gotten the showboating out of your system. :p

You're never gonna get better playing the computer, either. Practice mode is good for practicing combos and timing, but knowing strong combos means dick if you can't land them, and the quickest/best way to learn to do that is to play people.

And you don't think you could be back at the Select screen or the lobby that much quicker? Yeah, 15 seconds isn't a big deal, accept for when you do it over and over and over. Perhaps if/when you were better, you'll get tired of doing them since you will have gotten the showboating out of your system. :p

You're never gonna get better playing the computer, either. Practice mode is good for practicing combos and timing, but knowing strong combos means dick if you can't land them, and the quickest/best way to learn to do that is to play people.

It's not showboating.
I'm sorry that YOU see it that way, but it's there as part of the game.

I'm not a douche online.
I don't tea-bag and I NEVER under ANY circumstances rage-quit, even if someone does a fatality on me.
I take it like a man, and don't pansy out.
The only 1 disconnect that I have on my record was because the power went out, one night, in my house for 2 hours during a bad storm.

As for playing in practice mode:
I don't practice online like most people with YouTube videos, with the opponent standing still.
It's set to the hardest level, kind of like a never ending match.

As for online:
What fun is it playing online with people who are complete d**ks?
I deal with d**kheads every day at work.
Why the hell would I want to deal with d**kheads online, when I come home to play MK?
If and when I play MK online, I play against some of the peeps here on TRMK that I'm good friends with.
You know, FRIENDS, as in people that aren't douchebags. :p
Unfortunately, I don't know a Michealangelo or Check4900 of MK in my area that I can practice with in person, and have them show me tips and tricks.

EDIT:

If an ******* wins in street fighter to show boat he has to send you a message. In MK it's as easy as spamming stance switch jump around then fatality.

Your right, due to the fatality time spamming stance switch, jumping around and tea-bagging someone can come off as being a d**k.

If someone just goes straight up for the fatality though, I don't see how that comes off as being a d**k.

Last edited:
This thread is exactly why the MK online community is in such bad shape.

Become proficient and competitive at Street Fighter. You won't have to worry about "disrespect."

Hahaha totally. People *****ing about fatalities is bizarre. People saying there the reason mk gets a bad rep is also bizarre. Mk gets a bad rep simply due to the amount of bugs etc that in some eyes it cannot be taken seriously as a competative fighter. I disagree with this but its always been the case

I don't think Fatalities contribute to MK getting a bad rep; it's part of the game.
People in the arcade days used to perform fatalities EVERY time someone played another person.
Fatalities have almost become part of the culture that IS MK.
Why is it any different online?
Because I can't see you face-to-face?
Even casuals who have maybe stumbled upon the game once or twice expect to see a fatality at the end of a match.

Part of the game? Ducking is also part of the game, but you already said you thought tea-bagging was a douche move.
Thats the problem with the MK community, they treat MK like its a genre of its own and not a fighting game.
People focus on the gore, THAT is why the MK community is frowned upon. Everyone thinks we're braindead 8 year olds that get raging semis whenever we see red on our screens. This is a fighting game, so try to show respect and not showboat, which is EXACTLY what a fatality is. You are delusional if you think its anything else. This isn't Mario Party, the point isn't to be a dick.

People sending hate messages when you win, tea-bagging or rage-quitting sends a bad message about the MK fan base.
The fighting game community, in general, gets a bad rep because of this.
Has nothing to do with fatalities.

If you fought some random jerk that kept sending you hate messages (assuming that you would want to put up with that person), and he did a fatality on you online, then I could see your point.
Amongst friends, though, who I laugh and share jokes with IRL, I see NO harm.

That is in every game, every single game. Go play Hello Kitty: Island Adventure and see if you don't get hatemail for walking in someone's flower garden. And the reason you see no harm is because its your friends, not some random dude. If a random guy steps on your shoes you get pissed. If a friend steps on your shoes you call him a dick and laugh about it.

Blaming the crappy fanbase on fatalities is completely false.
People just can't stand losing, and granted no one LIKES losing, but it's part of the game.
If a person beat you and did a fatality on you, accept it and move on to the next match.
I see the people who pull the plug on a fatality being just as bad as the people who RQ when they lose.
They're still RQ'ing because they lost, and it makes them look like a sore loser.

What you are saying is completely false.
I have no problem with losing in MK9, I like to know what holes I have in my game.
But when you do a fatality you are trying to show your 'dominance' over me. And thats exactly what it is.
What the hell else do you call one guy ripping the head off of another one?

If anything the reason that MK9 has a bad rep online, it's because of the scrubs who go into beginner rooms and seek people who have low win ratios, just so they can keep their record high.
Combine this with the people who rage-quit, when they're losing or having a fatality pulled on them, and to any outside person it would look like the MK Kommunity is full of cry babies.
Fatalities have nothing to do with it.

It isn't ragequiting when you pull on a fatality.
Its just trying to get to the next match. Trust me when I say, scrubs that noob hunt and RQer's are not why MK gets its bad rep because those people are in every fighting game.

Ha!
If your head wasn't halfway up your ass you'd actually be able to know how wrong you are.
SF players are THE biggest elitist ass holes in the entire fighting game community.
Play any form of IV or xTekken and see how long it takes you to find a black dude on a mic talking non stop shit.

As for online:
What fun is it playing online with people who are complete d**ks?
I deal with d**kheads every day at work.
Why the hell would I want to deal with d**kheads online, when I come home to play MK?

Its funny because people see you as the 'd**khead'
They're trying to get on with their fighting game and you're busy watching some shit you can view in fatality trainer.

Last edited:
Why is there even an argument about this?

Fatalities were put in the game for a reason. It's a finishing move for a reason. It's not gloating or showboating.
It's been like this since MK1

Personally, I think fatalities are awesome to see. (Especially Cyber-Sub Zero's blade one)

Get over it people, it's part of the game and part of losing. It should motivate you to do better in your method of playing.

Jeez.

It's a finishing move for a reason. It's not gloating or showboating.

If it is not gloating, then for the love of Hsu Hao tell me just why the hell fatalities exist.

Personally, I think fatalities are awesome to see. (Especially Cyber-Sub Zero's blade one)

Go to youtube and go nuts. I've seen each one dozens of times each and am sick of them.

Get over it people, it's part of the game and part of losing. It should motivate you to do better in your method of playing.
Jeez.

The problem is, is that is doesn't have to be apart of losing.
Its up to the winner if we they sit and watch the water works.
And motivation doesn't matter, nobody is unbeatable.

Why do play Mortal Kombat, then?
To try to change a game's legacy that made it great, stumps me.

If you despise fatalities, go for Soul Calibur or Tekken.

And motivation doesn't matter, nobody is unbeatable.

It baffles me that you said that. Motivation is key to becoming better at playing.

Your argument has come to a dead end.

Why do play Mortal Kombat, then?
To try to change a game's legacy that made it great, stumps me.

If you despise fatalities, go for Soul Calibur or Tekken.

Because its legacy was running dry.
MK doesn't have any shock value anymore.
So if NRS wants this game to thrive they need to deepen it and focus more on gameplay rather than fireworks.

And I do play both of those game for your (limited) information.
I just so happen to enjoy MK's juggle system.

It baffles me that you said that. Motivation is key to becoming better at playing.

Your argument has come to a dead end.

I was talking about the motivation of not seeing fatalities.
Trying to argue against your asinine logic made mine seem stupid as well.

If your head wasn't halfway up your ass you'd actually be able to know how wrong you are.
SF players are THE biggest elitist ass holes in the entire fighting game community.
Play any form of IV or xTekken and see how long it takes you to find a black dude on a mic talking non stop shit

So if NRS wants this game to thrive they need to deepen it and focus more on gameplay rather than fireworks.

So basically, you suck at Street Fighter. Got it. I never deal with that problem, because I'm actually competitive and skilled at Street Fighter.

You basically want MK to become a version of Street Fighter that you can actually compete in. Your position makes perfect sense now; you suck at Street Fighter, so you need Mortal Kombat to become a poor man's version of it, so you can play online. Know how to solve this dilemma? Put more time in and practice Street Fighter. Problem solved.

Lastly, why does it have to be a black dude on the mic talking trash?

So basically, you suck at Street Fighter. Got it. I never deal with that problem, because I'm actually competitive and skilled at Street Fighter.

You basically want MK to become a version of Street Fighter that you can actually compete in. Your position makes perfect sense now; you suck at Street Fighter, so you need Mortal Kombat to become a poor man's version of it, so you can play online. Know how to solve this dilemma? Put more time in and practice Street Fighter. Problem solved.

Lastly, why does it have to be a black dude on the mic talking trash?

I actually do suck at SF.

But I rock the house in xTekken, and even then I receive hate mail.
I use King/Ogre, so no justification on their end.

And you don't even have to play SF to feel a SF fan's wrath.
They talk shit about any game that isn't AE or 3rd Strike.
And Fujin help you if you play MK, you may as well tell them you **** children.

And why do does it have to be a black guy?
Because in my extensive experience its only been black guys talking shit on their mics.

In my extensive experience, that's a pretty racist conclusion. But, you can always mute players, and/or not even talk to them. Its easy.

SF is just a deep fighter, period. There are so many different styles, and so many ways to exploit certain character's maneuvers. You just have to put in the time to learn, and ultimately, have fun with it. I don't even want to think about the amount of hours I've logged into the 4th iteration, starting from original vanilla all the way to AE 2012.

I'd argue that SF x T is as competitive as a tag team fighter gets. The fights are very fast paced, and as soon as one character's health is completely depleted, the fight is over. A tag team fight in MK9 feels like an entire semester at college.

SF is just a deep fighter, period. There are so many different styles, and so many ways to exploit certain character's maneuvers. You just have to put in the time to learn, and ultimately, have fun with it. I don't even want to think about the amount of hours I've logged into the 4th iteration, starting from original vanilla all the way to AE 2012.

I'd argue that SF x T is as competitive as a tag team fighter gets. The fights are very fast paced, and as soon as one character's health is completely depleted, the fight is over. A tag team fight in MK9 feels like an entire semester at college.

I will never get competitive with IV, but I watch the LevelUp streams every chance I get.
I hate playing it, but I love watching it.

xTekken is definitely not as deep as IV, and has quite a few questionable gameplay decisions, but its still currently my favorite fighter.
I love the fact that the team loses if one character dies. It adds more strategy. Too many people play MK9's tag like its 4 rounds of 1v1.