MK9 "St. Patrick's Day Tournament Beatdown"

1.) Scorpio, Don't listen to people about patches. Always use the lastest patch, and make sure the game is 100% up to date. Why? Because all the real players and serious players play post patch. Things are post patch for a reason. Balance. Everyone above covered this.

You're going to lose out on any SERIOUS players from the tourney scene if you do pre-patch tourney.

2.) Don't EVER EVER unhype your tournament like you did in this thread. Don't talk about how last time it was only you and 1 other guy and your girlfriends/wives. IT will make people untempted to drive out to your tournament if they have the slightest hint that your turnout is going to be bad. It's not lying to not give bad information. If someone asks you what the tournout will be just tell them you're not really sure. Because you technically aren't. You're going to drive away the very people you want to come to your tournament if you talk about bad past experiences.

3.) Maximum set ups. You can never have too many really. obviously it's maximum, if you can have 1 system per 2 players at your tournament so people can play 24/7. But 1 setup per 6 is acceptable. I wouldn't let it go any higher. So encourage people to bring set ups. TVs as well if you have to.

4.) look up the latest Tournament rules.
Kratos = banned: Because Xbox players can't practice against him.
Kratos Stage= banned: it randomly shakes you don't want random factors in your game.
Streets = Banned: Random drive by cars will for a split second blocking your view of your characters and this could possibly be the difference between win or lose.
I believe Hell stage is banned but I'm not sure the reason.

Anyone else got things to add?

You should do double elimination Guaranteed.

You might even want to do pools, so people can play more games.

No one wants to drive a couple hours to a tournament and if they suck. Lose 2 back to back games and they are out of the tournament. Pools allows people to get about 5-6 games in before they are knocked out. making the experience more fun from beginners. If you're confused about pools I can explain better.

5.)Do you have a laptop? and what program do you use for Brackets?

6.) Post the rules in your Original post. and make sure it's up to date on standard tournament rules. You don't want some guy coming to your tournament and destroying everyone with a glitch/a loop you didn't know about. And it's 100% legal because you didn't post it as banned.

7.) Also explain the pay outs. 1st place is getting what % of the pot.

1st: 65%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 10%

ect ect.

Also explain how the best 2 of 3 works. It's like best 2 of 3, best 2 of three. Winner has to stay the same character for the next round.

Finals should be best of 5, for more accurate finals results.

IT is your tournament. run it like you want.

these are just tips to grab attention.

especially don't talk about bad experienes in turnouts on Test your might.

Yeah these are good suggestions.

But I want to make sure you know how AWESOME it is that ppl within a two hour radius of me are playing! Really cool that you are doing this. Since I'm relatively close let me know if you need help or want suggestions.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

1.) Scorpio, Don't listen to people about patches. Always use the lastest patch, and make sure the game is 100% up to date. Why? Because all the real players and serious players play post patch. Things are post patch for a reason. Balance. Everyone above covered this.

You're going to lose out on any SERIOUS players from the tourney scene if you do pre-patch tourney.

2.) Don't EVER EVER unhype your tournament like you did in this thread. Don't talk about how last time it was only you and 1 other guy and your girlfriends/wives. IT will make people untempted to drive out to your tournament if they have the slightest hint that your turnout is going to be bad. It's not lying to not give bad information. If someone asks you what the tournout will be just tell them you're not really sure. Because you technically aren't. You're going to drive away the very people you want to come to your tournament if you talk about bad past experiences.

3.) Maximum set ups. You can never have too many really. obviously it's maximum, if you can have 1 system per 2 players at your tournament so people can play 24/7. But 1 setup per 6 is acceptable. I wouldn't let it go any higher. So encourage people to bring set ups. TVs as well if you have to.

4.) look up the latest Tournament rules.
Kratos = banned: Because Xbox players can't practice against him.
Kratos Stage= banned: it randomly shakes you don't want random factors in your game.
Streets = Banned: Random drive by cars will for a split second blocking your view of your characters and this could possibly be the difference between win or lose.
I believe Hell stage is banned but I'm not sure the reason.

Anyone else got things to add?

You should do double elimination Guaranteed.

You might even want to do pools, so people can play more games.

No one wants to drive a couple hours to a tournament and if they suck. Lose 2 back to back games and they are out of the tournament. Pools allows people to get about 5-6 games in before they are knocked out. making the experience more fun from beginners. If you're confused about pools I can explain better.

5.)Do you have a laptop? and what program do you use for Brackets?

6.) Post the rules in your Original post. and make sure it's up to date on standard tournament rules. You don't want some guy coming to your tournament and destroying everyone with a glitch/a loop you didn't know about. And it's 100% legal because you didn't post it as banned.

7.) Also explain the pay outs. 1st place is getting what % of the pot.

1st: 65%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 10%

ect ect.

Also explain how the best 2 of 3 works. It's like best 2 of 3, best 2 of three. Winner has to stay the same character for the next round.

Finals should be best of 5, for more accurate finals results.

IT is your tournament. run it like you want.

these are just tips to grab attention.

especially don't talk about bad experienes in turnouts on Test your might.

i was all for the latest patch since thats what i used. but about 5 ppl
that were gonna show wanted it prepatch so i said alright.
and i was all for it bc i like prepatch combos (for obvious reasons lol)

its not that i meant to unhype it, as you say. i mentioned it bc it was true.
i was comparing his tourney to MY tourney. the last one, i had
nothing to do with. and only 2 showed. due to lack of adversting.
so this ones in my hands and im workin my ass off putin it together.

i really dont care for rules some ppl post it online. dont care
for banned backgrounds unless it was online and reduced lag.
offline, i say any stages are okay. as for kratos himself, no prob banning him

send me a pm on player pools plz. i planned on doing a looser brackett as well
if the owner has tht tiome frame available.

i dont have a laptop, but my wife does. dont use programs for bracketts.
i draw em out myself and list the players in random order.

its mentioned tht anyone that uses an infinate is banned on the spot.
ill have to update it with a few more things like resets, etc.

best of 5 for finals is cool and was planned. but i dont care about the
winner stays same char. not gonna press that one.

Yeah these are good suggestions.

But I want to make sure you know how AWESOME it is that ppl within a two hour radius of me are playing! Really cool that you are doing this. Since I'm relatively close let me know if you need help or want suggestions.

ive been waiting for a year to do this. but no one in my area could agree to it. and onesthat did wanted all the profits and such. now im finally able to. anything you can bring or help with is welcomed and appreciated.

i was all for the latest patch since thats what i used. but about 5 ppl
that were gonna show wanted it prepatch so i said alright.
and i was all for it bc i like prepatch combos (for obvious reasons lol)

its not that i meant to unhype it, as you say. i mentioned it bc it was true.
i was comparing his tourney to MY tourney. the last one, i had
nothing to do with. and only 2 showed. due to lack of adversting.
so this ones in my hands and im workin my ass off putin it together.

i really dont care for rules some ppl post it online. dont care
for banned backgrounds unless it was online and reduced lag.
offline, i say any stages are okay. as for kratos himself, no prob banning him

send me a pm on player pools plz. i planned on doing a looser brackett as well
if the owner has tht tiome frame available.

i dont have a laptop, but my wife does. dont use programs for bracketts.
i draw em out myself and list the players in random order.

its mentioned tht anyone that uses an infinate is banned on the spot.
ill have to update it with a few more things like resets, etc.

best of 5 for finals is cool and was planned. but i dont care about the
winner stays same char. not gonna press that one.

ive been waiting for a year to do this. but no one in my area could agree to it. and onesthat did wanted all the profits and such. now im finally able to. anything you can bring or help with is welcomed and appreciated.

Awesome man, I'm posting on Facebook and stuff trying to get ppl to come.

One thing. Dq'Ing for infinites and resets is fine, but be careful. Some things are escapable but are I.tended to "reset" the opponent. Not questioning your knowledge, but a lot of the game is about ending combos to put the opponent in a situation where they must make quick decisions or choose whether to block or take another combo...I.e. scorpions vortex. While it is a reset, it isn't unavoidable so fine. It's how he is played. Now Cyrax had resets all over the place, but those are truly unavoidable. Again not saying you don't know that but it is an important difference.

The reasoning behind winner staying the same character is so we don't have an argument when someone keeps trying to counterpick.

If the winner doesn't have to stay the same character.

You should do this rule instead.

Winner may change character, but winner has to pick their character first. Then loser selects THEIR character.

If you are confused as to the reasons why on this just ask.

Those stages are just banned because of a "slight" random factor that could cause someone to lose a game because of something random. who wants to lose first place because a car just happened to want to randomly drive by, and you mis timed your punish because you weren't able to see your opponents character for about 3 frames. These happen not only online, they happen offline too.

The chances of the stage ruining the win for someone is small. But it's a possibility. Just letting you know why they are banned.

A good program to use would be this. Just mess around with it. I think you'll fall in love with it and never use pen/paper again.

http://allisbrawl.com/tio/

click the download button on the right. Mess around and enjoy. It's very simple. It keeps tracks of regions/skill/money paid ect ect.

You can also make the brackets set up by region. So people don't have to fight their best friends they train with every day first round. Nobody likes that.

Just some tips man. glad your giving an hear out and considering what I have to say.

Exactly WHY do those 5 people want pre-patch? do you know why? If their only excuse is they also play pre-patch and have not updated to post patch. Then that's not a fair reason for the rest of the MK community who mained characters based on post patch meta game.

I made a post about pools somewhere on these boards.

let me see if I can find it.

Awesome man, I'm posting on Facebook and stuff trying to get ppl to come.

One thing. Dq'Ing for infinites and resets is fine, but be careful. Some things are escapable but are I.tended to "reset" the opponent. Not questioning your knowledge, but a lot of the game is about ending combos to put the opponent in a situation where they must make quick decisions or choose whether to block or take another combo...I.e. scorpions vortex. While it is a reset, it isn't unavoidable so fine. It's how he is played. Now Cyrax had resets all over the place, but those are truly unavoidable. Again not saying you don't know that but it is an important difference.

awesome.

i know this game like the back of my hand. i know what char has infinates, resets, etc. just bc i dont post all the time dont mean im not dedicated to the game :)

The reasoning behind winner staying the same character is so we don't have an argument when someone keeps trying to counterpick.

If the winner doesn't have to stay the same character.

You should do this rule instead.

Winner may change character, but winner has to pick their character first. Then loser selects THEIR character.

If you are confused as to the reasons why on this just ask.

Those stages are just banned because of a "slight" random factor that could cause someone to lose a game because of something random. who wants to lose first place because a car just happened to want to randomly drive by, and you mis timed your punish because you weren't able to see your opponents character for about 3 frames. These happen not only online, they happen offline too.

The chances of the stage ruining the win for someone is small. But it's a possibility. Just letting you know why they are banned.

A good program to use would be this. Just mess around with it. I think you'll fall in love with it and never use pen/paper again.

http://allisbrawl.com/tio/

click the download button on the right. Mess around and enjoy. It's very simple. It keeps tracks of regions/skill/money paid ect ect.

You can also make the brackets set up by region. So people don't have to fight their best friends they train with every day first round. Nobody likes that.

Just some tips man. glad your giving an hear out and considering what I have to say.

Exactly WHY do those 5 people want pre-patch? do you know why? If their only excuse is they also play pre-patch and have not updated to post patch. Then that's not a fair reason for the rest of the MK community who mained characters based on post patch meta game.

I made a post about pools somewhere on these boards.

let me see if I can find it.

if the player just picks hidden selct with the square button, no one can see who they pick. so if it comes to counter picking, ill enforce a both players use hidden select.

i think its bc they arent good post patch. they seemed to be mk haters in general. "yea pre patch still has the high damage combos...post patc dont matter its still broken either way" 1 guy actually said he hated the game, but was still gonna play? idiot alert lol.

most the ppl that come in that place are magic the gathering mk haters. and this weekend, im about to make their jaws drop, and shut em up at the same time.

awesome.

i know this game like the back of my hand. i know what char has infinates, resets, etc. just bc i dont post all the time dont mean im not dedicated to the game :)

if the player just picks hidden selct with the square button, no one can see who they pick. so if it comes to counter picking, ill enforce a both players use hidden select.

i think its bc they arent good post patch. they seemed to be mk haters in general. "yea pre patch still has the high damage combos...post patc dont matter its still broken either way" 1 guy actually said he hated the game, but was still gonna play? idiot alert lol.

most the ppl that come in that place are magic the gathering mk haters. and this weekend, im about to make their jaws drop, and shut em up at the same time.

You could do that I suppose. Blind pick is usually for first pick anyways.

Another reason for the loser, picking character second. is when you KEEP blind picking. And the players have characters that counter eachother. It becomes whoever is lucky enough to guess the right character.

Let me use this as an example.

Let us pretend Noob Saibot vs Johnny Cage:

The Cage has huge problems fighting the noob saibot player. But he just so happens to have a pocket Jade to use to try and beat Noob saibot players.

Round 2: Blind pick. The Noob saibot player anticipates a counterpick and tries to choose a character that can deal with most antiprojectile players and goes Raiden. The other guy chooses Jade in anticipation that it's noob again. But his johnny cage can handle any match other matchup he just sucks against noob.

And there you have it. Jade is countered by Raiden. and it's just a sheer lucky guess.

Yes skill can overcome this, but no one really likes random factors. And it's potential the loser could get double shafted in both rounds, by blind luck.

Just my 2 cents man. You can do blind pick all rounds. There are a few people out there who actually prefer it that way. I think your way is just as legit.

Just stating some of the debating that goes on about why there's a winner stays the same character.

Well rest assured me and my friend are not magic players haha. We love this game and really attempt to play at a high level. We are going to mlg the following weekend.

And for what its worth I pike the "winner keeps his character rule"...it adds some strategy. But whatever the most ppl want. Im just excited to play.

No resets or patches? Sounds like a noob's tournament. I don't use any resets but honestly they are fine.

lol see Scorpio. this is why I'm trying to convince you to do standard tournament rules. Alot of people have this mindset, and won't come. Because the standard rule set for tournaments was designed on fair competition.

No resets or patches? Sounds like a noob's tournament. I don't use any resets but honestly they are fine.

Constructive criticism is fine. Try that next time instead of contributing to the already negative view ppl have of the mk community. The dude is trying to further the community. So maybe try not running him down like a snarky elitist prick.

i said it would be the patched version. as it should be. as for resets, if youre the kind that likes to use and abuse them, then id rather not have you, or anyone else that does, there anyways. normal resets that aren't abusive are fine. im talking about the inescapable kind. the kind where you use bugs to your advantage and keep looping shit to get a cheap win. none of that is welcomed. and the ppl that wanna cheat will get thrown out on their asses plain and simple. dont like the rules for it, then gtfo.

@Treadmill thanks man.
i wish i could make the mlg. my dad lives up there but is busy that weekend.

@Critical-Limit
pretty much everything ive said is standard. everything but the banning of stages and winner stays certain char. people are gonna counter pick no matter what you think the "standard" is. winner keeps character actually makes it easier to do. at least blind picking is a guessing game.

oh, and it will be recorded and youtubed!

i said it would be the patched version. as it should be. as for resets, if youre the kind that likes to use and abuse them, then id rather not have you, or anyone else that does, there anyways. normal resets that aren't abusive are fine. im talking about the inescapable kind. the kind where you use bugs to your advantage and keep looping shit to get a cheap win. none of that is welcomed. and the ppl that wanna cheat will get thrown out on their asses plain and simple. dont like the rules for it, then gtfo.

@Treadmill thanks man.

@Critical-Limit
pretty much everything ive said is standard. everything but the banning of stages and winner stays certain char. people are gonna counter pick no matter what you think the "standard" is. winner keeps character actually makes it easier to do. at least blind picking is a guessing game.

No problem. Cool that your recording. You using a capture card or just using a camcorder?

@Treadmill thanks man.

@Critical-Limit

I did say you could do it blind pick right? I'm just explaining why most people do it the other way. Because blind pick everytime is slightly luck based. Where as the other system requires thought and some strategy to your pick(with a bit of luck round 1 because it's blind pick on first match)

If you win the first round on blind pick and get counter picked. You still have a 3rd round in which YOU will get to counter pick back.

So it's even footing w/o the randomness. It makes the first match that much more important.

@Scorpio: How does one determine a reset that is "acceptable" versus one that is not? I don't understand. No offense, but you just seem really unprofessional with this whole thing. Most people that would be interested in going to an offline tournament are people who are serious about the game from a competitive standpoint, and would expect tournament rules the same as what the pros play with.

@Critical-Limit yea, never said you didnt say it. there really isnt a whole lot of strategy to it. if a guy looses to subzero, he automatically knows to to counter pick with the next match. first match may be a gamble, but everyone there after will just be counter picks. so either way its the same result. all im saying is that a player doesnt have to stick with the same char if they win if they dont want too.

@Immortal Reaver umm, pretty easily. in fact if you cant tell the difference, then thats your problem. you telling me that cyrax's pre patch net reset is acceptible? 3-3-net-tele-jump over-1-1-1-net-tele then go into guaranteed bombs that lead back into the net-tele resets? umm, id say no my friend. and thats the kinda shit im talking about. that reset alone is inescapable and leads to an infinite. and i dont want that crap in my tourney.

all the rules are the same except for a few, so why you bugin out? dont like it then dont read it or come. simple as that. so gtfo with your negative bs mmmkayy?