How To Beat Lui Kang In General?

Cyan

How To Beat Liu Kang In General?

How guys! I am new to these forums, so i didn't know if I better should put this into Kang-Thread or not.

So the problem is:

Me and my brothers are average enthusiastic offline players, spiced with some online-tech. Since one month one of my brothers has been training with Liu Kang and all I have to say is: This destroyed the game for me!

His B3,2,1 is just too incredibly annoying. It seems like having priority over EVERYTHING. I can't even do a D3 to space him up. If he does B3,2,1 on block, all I can do afterwards (without EX) is D3 (when fast enough) or jump forward or neutral. Even jumping back is not possible, because he can crush this by doing another B3,2,1, last hit hits high. Most horribly: B3,2,1 can hit so easily and he ALWAYS follows by 3xB3,2,1! Mashing B3,2,1 against my block will fill his meter extremely quickly and the second round of the match is always decided by a 48% X-Ray combo.

Do you have any hints for me, how do stand well against Liu Kang? What's the main strategy? (Mains: Mileena, Baraka; Fun Chars: Sub Zero, Scorpion, Stryker). To summarize: My main problem is the B3,2,1, especially the B3 (priority, swiftness).

Last edited:
With Mileena you have to keep him out with iAs (Instant air sais) Whenever he gets close either go for the grab or D+4 to keep him away.

Force him to use his fireballs and you can teleport on reaction and start some of your own pressure, Spacing is another thing that could help her win force his B3,2,1 to whiff and you can punish with a roll into your BnB :)

Hope this helps

Edit: Always block low on the first him from any of Kang's strings and Fuzzy guard the other hit by switching back to high

Last edited:
I tried this a bit on my own (the sai thing). But somehow he always manages to get in close, mostly with his ex-flying-kick through projectiles. And the timing on punishing B3,2,1 after whiff seems to be strict, I had the impression that he could even fish me out of my roll with another B3,2,1 (I saw the beginning roll animation and he beat me).

I'm not gonna be able to help too much since I'm primarily a Johnny Cage player, but what I've found works best is to just keep pressuring. Punish his fireballs HARD with your tele just like Vital said. Learn the timing of his 2,1,3, and b3,2,1 and just fuzzy guard it. The last thing I want to deal with when it comes to liu is his fireball zoning so I just get in close and apply as much pressure as I can. :l Sorry I'm not more helpful

I am happy about any help, thank you!
Referring to the pressure: Yeah, I think Kang has not the best wakeups. But I am really afraid, you know? Everything I do, including normals, can be interrupted by that B3,2,1 (as I feel it).

I tried this a bit on my own (the sai thing). But somehow he always manages to get in close, mostly with his ex-flying-kick through projectiles. And the timing on punishing B3,2,1 after whiff seems to be strict, I had the impression that he could even fish me out of my roll with another B3,2,1 (I saw the beginning roll animation and he beat me).

Yeah, you had to anticipate the Ex flying kick and you have to pay attention to his meter also to call it out. It's probably best to D+4 if he whiffs B3,2,1 since timing is super strict on the roll.

>It's probably best to D+4 if he whiffs B3,2,1 since timing is super strict on the roll.

And afterwards? I can't beat him just with D+4. If do D+4, he continues his stuff just like a berserk.

You can always snatch the controller out of his hand then toss it across the room while you guys are playing :laugh:

Reptile's Elbow Dash sometimes made me really angry and crying:"WTF imba!", but nothing more. It was never like a didn't stand ANY chance against his reptile. Today he is not an OP-threat anymore.
But this Lui Kang issue made me rage-turn-out my X-Box after getting ****ed by one combo for like 4hours.

Did you say Xbox! :O

Mileena Mirror match lets go.. Add me

Imme224 :D

and shut up shira, no one cares :rolleyes:

Reptile's Elbow Dash sometimes made me really angry and crying:"WTF imba!", but nothing more. It was never like a didn't stand ANY chance against his reptile. Today he is not an OP-threat anymore.
But this Lui Kang issue made me rage-turn-out my X-Box after getting ****ed by one combo for like 4hours.

Vital had the basics down very well for you. You have to think outside the box.

What you're doing is when you throw sais. he EX kicks you "In your head" you're thinking. oh he just countered that... better not use that anymore. When in reality you should be calling out his EX kicks and finding a counter for that. you have to think ahead, and not at the moment.

IF you block his EX kick. You get a full combo. So throw sais. and randomly bait the EX kick with block.

When you D4, them you got advantage. Meaning, when lui kang comes back in for his B3,1,2 you can crossover jump punch him and punish him. If he starts calling out your crossover jump punch. You can instant jump kick him out of the air because YOU have advantage after D4, and then you can teleport kick on opponent jump confirm. then Sai into roll into your standard combo.

His mixup isn't hard to read. I usually just low block unless I see his 321 string coming then I'll fuzzy guard the last hit because it's an overhead. Just keep a lookout for this low starter. Most Kang players don't use parry but if they are good with it then try not to be too predictable.

Vital had the basics down very well for you. You have to think outside the box.

What you're doing is when you throw sais. he EX kicks you "In your head" you're thinking. oh he just countered that... better not use that anymore. When in reality you should be calling out his EX kicks and finding a counter for that. you have to think ahead, and not at the moment.

IF you block his EX kick. You get a full combo. So throw sais. and randomly bait the EX kick with block.

When you D4, them you got advantage. Meaning, when lui kang comes back in for his B3,1,2 you can crossover jump punch him and punish him. If he starts calling out your crossover jump punch. You can instant jump kick him out of the air because YOU have advantage after D4, and then you can teleport kick on opponent jump confirm. then Sai into roll into your standard combo.

Thank you!

Did you say Xbox! :O

Mileena Mirror match lets go.. Add me

Imme224 :D

and shut up shira, no one cares :rolleyes:

No thanks^^ This game has the shittiest netcode I have ever seen in a game. 1,5sec. Input lag wtf oO