How To Beat Lui Kang In General?

If I wouldn't be able to play mindgames, every round would be a flawless victory for him. I got to know his patterns, I know what he does after a blocked B3,2,1 and so on. I know what he does to get in. The problem is I just can't attack him for the life of me.

you use milly right? good luck then. I haven't the slightest clue on how to use her bnbs, M.G's or strategic advantages or disadvantages. I know she can make almost all of her moves safe with her sais.

Sometimes not being on the offense is the best offense (If that makes sense o.o)

It's not all about being in Kang's face 24/7, maybe playing defensively could win you a few rounds and eventually you will find something to stop him.

I'm happy with any damage I get.

Even 3% from a D+4 is cool with me because all of it adds up at the end, All I'm saying is that eating away at his life slowly by staying back maybe the way to eliminating his B3,2,1 option

With Mileena..

@Ames She can only make her teleport safe with sais, with EX teleport the second hit Jails if you use sais.

Sometimes not being on the offense is the best offense (If that makes sense o.o)

It's not all about being in Kang's face 24/7, maybe playing defensively could win you a few rounds and eventually you will find something to stop him.

I'm happy with any damage I get.

Even 3% from a D+4 is cool with me because all of it adds up at the end, All I'm saying is that eating away at his life slowly by staying back maybe the way to eliminating his B3,2,1 option

With Mileena..

@Ames She can only make her teleport safe with sais, with EX teleport the second hit Jails if you use sais.

actually neither version is safe. they can both be uppercutted. The sais just make it a little more difficult to punish. They are still both unsafe.

Anyways, Here are some strategies you can try, They are quite difficult to pull off at first but with practice they'll become great tools.

Walk away:

When you at mid screen distance and you're not 100% sure if he's gonna jump or dash in. You can walk slightly away so if he starts B3,1,2. He will whiff the first 1-2 hits. Allowing you enough time to get the U+4 started. your B3, and B4 outrange his B3,1,2. So does your D+4.

You also have to understand your D+4 is going to make it so you can force lui to either dash in block low, repeat. If he does this option that means he's in defense mode, meaning you have a chance to throw out your 50/50 mix up into full combo. If you suspect a jump after D+4. a sai that catches him out of the air is a free roll. So you could D+4, instant air sais. IF you don't know what instant airsais are you need to learn that, and do it consistently. You could also call out his jump after D+4 pushes him back. And teleport kick into sais. Then roll into combo. If he starts zoning you, you can mix in teleport kick. If timed at the same time you get in on him for free and you hit him. careful he might bait it and block it, into combo. But you have the same option in reverse. If you outzone him, and you are getting good at calling his EX kick. watch his bar. and randomly block after a projectile for a short time move a bit or w/e to bait a EX kick. If you block it. Full 28%ish combo.

You can do B3, into EX+Ball roll. which is a low hit then immediately a overhead. So he has to block LOW then HIGH really quickly or he eats the combo.

ALWAYS block low vs lui kang. And try to hit him out of his last 3rd hit. In the video below, REo used some walking forward kick looking move to stagger lui kang. Perhaps you should look into incorporating that. He also used typical D1, to gain advantage. the advantage is small, but any small advantage mean you have air dominance. For instance. If you low jab him after his 2, after B3,1,2. You have enough time, to do counter with a quick move. this also means you have air advantage. AS you will leave the ground first if you jump ASAP after you D1 him. what does this mean? if you instant kick as you leave the ground, YOU WILL WIN THE AIR FIGHT. if he jumps to. You'll also kick him first most likely if he goes for another B3,1,2. But if he jumps. you kick him into sais, into roll into full combo.

Lui kang has 2 overheads you need to look out for. He's got F3, that does like 12% or something crazy. It's a single hit. but if you let too many of these hit you. IT can add up to combo damage. It's up to you to decide when to block low or high. But mostly block low, I'd rather take 12%, than 30%. On my first guess when blocking.

his other overhead is 2,1,3. The 3 is the overhead. So all you gotta do is block low and look for that 2,1. then block high.

its a bit old, but this is one of the best lui kangs in the pro scene. vs REO's Mileena. look at how he handles lui kang.

Last edited:
First of all, thank you for your extraordinary effort with that helpful post.
Second, I got another small question:

If he does B3,1,2 on my block, can I hit him low between 3 and 1 or 1 and 2? I just realized I never tried that ^^

First of all, thank you for your extraordinary effort with that helpful post.
Second, I got another small question:

If he does B3,1,2 on my block, can I hit him low between 3 and 1 or 1 and 2? I just realized I never tried that ^^

You can try, but I really doubt it