How To Beat Lui Kang In General?

I am also playing SSF4, but I got no XBox-Live-Gold atm. I will extend it this weekend.

I am also playing SSF4, but I got no XBox-Live-Gold atm. I will extend it this weekend.

Do you main...

Spoiler:
ssf4-dan_big.jpg

Cause I do :proud:

Nice! Dan got stronger and stronger, he can do much damage now and his tatsumaki is awesome.

I don't think or believe or something. I just pressed every damn button, i tried every special move, i tried every jump-out. Even if he whiffs because you are jumping over him, you can't punish him with many characters as his recovery is fast. We had many hours of playing this weekend, my brother crushes the other tag team only with his Liu Kang.
I am gonna drop this game. The main reason is that you need complex tactics for defeating low-effort tactics (Kang, Noob Saibot, Cyrax).

You shouldn't give up complete hope friend! Why don't you ask your brother (If he's not stubborn) or read his patterns

I don't think or believe or something. I just pressed every damn button, i tried every special move, i tried every jump-out. Even if he whiffs because you are jumping over him, you can't punish him with many characters as his recovery is fast. We had many hours of playing this weekend, my brother crushes the other tag team only with his Liu Kang.
I am gonna drop this game. The main reason is that you need complex tactics for defeating low-effort tactics (Kang, Noob Saibot, Cyrax).

yes but these low level tactics you speak of are gimmicky and 100% useless once you apply some effort.

who do you play again?

It's not a unfair thing for one character to be more simple to use than another. In order for a character to be quicker and have more "mind games" more tools are needed thus an increase in accurate button pushing and reaction timing.

That's why skarlet is so technical, because she has cancelling tools and anytime you have those it's more APM.

You're having problems with characters that hardly any high-med level players who can effectively dash block, really have troubles with. Just need to raise your skill curve a bit. Then you'll be complaining about Raiden/Kitana/Kung Lao/Johnny Cage/Kabal/Cyrax in no time.

yes but these low level tactics you speak of are gimmicky

(...)

You're having problems with characters that hardly any high-med level players who can effectively dash block, really have troubles with. Just need to raise your skill curve a bit. Then you'll be complaining about Raiden/Kitana/Kung Lao/Johnny Cage/Kabal/Cyrax in no time.

Actually I don't see any gimmick, mind game or deep game-play in spamming B3,2,1.

I have no problems to get close to Liu Kang. The problem lies in starting an offensive because his B3 cancels all of my normals, it's just like a shoryuken in Street Fighter. I would not be so sad if his B3,2,1 didn't lead into a 34% combo EVERY DAMN time (48% with x-ray). It's just not fair. I have to be focused the whole match to not catch a B3 and all HE has to do is spamming his main combo.

And concerning Noob Saibot: My troubles with him are not as high as with Kang. But look: If I wavedash to get close he already took 20% of my life bar just because I blocked(!) his shadows. What is that supposed to be?!

Actually I don't see any gimmick, mind game or deep game-play in spamming B3,2,1.

I have no problems to get close to Liu Kang. The problem lies in starting an offensive because his B3 cancels all of my normals, it's just like a shoryuken in Street Fighter. I would not be so sad if his B3,2,1 didn't lead into a 34% combo EVERY DAMN time (48% with x-ray). It's just not fair. I have to be focused the whole match to not catch a B3 and all HE has to do is spamming his main combo.

And concerning Noob Saibot: My troubles with him are not as high as with Kang. But look: If I wavedash to get close he already took 20% of my life bar just because I blocked(!) his shadows. What is that supposed to be?!

I never said b3 1 2 was deep...

Read what I said. You are playing at a low level so your getting destroyed by low level gimmicks. These are gimmick strats.

Tell me you best characters and I'll help you when I get home.

You are complaining about things and callin them unfair when there is nothing wrong with them. There is something wrong with you.

These things you're complaining about give me absolutely very little trouble. And they won't even touch me if that's literally all he does.

As I said I'll make a long post and might even do a video demonstration just for you.

Cuz I have a feeling your a visual learner.

Normally I play with Mileena. She works let's say "well" against Kang. She has a fast projectile and nice low normals to stop Kang from wavedash approaching, so he can't use his superior low-distance abilities. But in the end his damage output is way too heavy and doesn't need special conditions so he still wins every round.

But zoning with Baraka gets difficult. He has his fast blade dash but his projectile has slow startup, so Kang can ALWAYS use his ex-flying-kick. If i am lucky I can exploit Kangs bad wakeup and hit him with 3 mixup combos. If my ex-Bar is empty he can pretty well even zone me with his strong fireballs. Baraka needs to start his combos but you can't start them against Kang.

No chance at all with Stryker and Sub Zero.

I just don't get how you can avoid B3 the whole round, that is nearly impossible.

btw: I love this game but I am really sick of that shit.

Last edited:
Honestly, just chill out and learn how to play the game. Figure out ways to work around things. I used to get mad at the game when it first came out (well, it was broken...) but I worked around things. The game is ****ing amazing now. If you let your anger get to you then it will ruin the game for you.

Honestly, just chill out and learn how to play the game. Figure out ways to work around things. I used to get mad at the game when it first came out (well, it was broken...) but I worked around things. The game is ****ing amazing now. If you let your anger get to you then it will ruin the game for you.

Well said, Immortal.

Liu Kang can be a pain sometimes on the upper levels of Ladder Mode or against a good online Liu Kang (with his Parry and Parry EX move), but there always is a way around it.
I used to think that Noob Saibot was hard to beat with Nightwolf, but block-dashing and lightning bolts helped to get a lot closer and get rid of the zoning distance.

Ever since the last patch, the game is pretty well balanced, and you should be able to get out of problematic moves.
Just study Liu Kang more, and counter-attack.

I assume you also would get angry, if someone beat you 5 hours straight without any gameplay or mindgame. I tried everything this is the only reason why I ask other players in a forum. Believe me, this is no pleasure, it's just like I expected: 33% "learn the ****ing game!" and 33% offtopic.

"counter-attack."

HAHA funny I can counter B3,2,1 with D3 if it hits my block! WOW!

edit: I even commanded my brother to face expert cpu to see what AI does against it.->chanceless AI

Last edited:
I assume you also would get angry, if someone beat you 5 hours straight without any gameplay or mindgame. I tried everything this is the only reason why I ask other players in a forum. Believe me, this is no pleasure, it's just like I expected: 33% "learn the ****ing game!" and 33% offtopic.

"counter-attack."

HAHA funny I can counter B3,2,1 with D3 if it hits my block! WOW!

edit: I even commanded my brother to face expert cpu to see what AI does against it.->chanceless AI

I don't play with Mileena, but there HAS to be a way around it.
I know that Liu Kang isn't broken.
Ever since the patch that came out with Freddy, the game is as balanced as possible.

From the Mileena thread:

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/20629-Mileena-Thread-quot-Let-Us-Dance!-quot

Vs. Projectile Spammers, Zoners and Keepaways:
Use a Ball Roll when they use a high projectile, then follow up with combo of your choice. Teleport Drop over low projectiles, then back away. The Ball Roll can also be used to close the distance if your not within Ball Roll Range. That way, even if they block high, you won't hit them, and won't be left vulnerable. Use the Teleport Drop over low projectiles.

Vs. Teleports:
Block, then uses Splits or Boot Down juggle, or smack them away with Friendly Kiss. Simple.

Anti Air:
The Teleport Drop and Air Sai Blast can punish anyone who jumps at any range. After landing a Teleport Drop you can continue a combo by using Air Sai Blasts to allow Mileena to recover from her jump faster than the enemy. The Leaping NeckBite can also catch enemies at closer ranges. You can also use the Neutral Jump Kick combo to deal decent damage to people who like to jump.

Mind Games:
Most of Mileena's mind games come from her Teleport Drop. She can "fake" jumping, by jumping at or away from the enemy, then quickly Teleporting. With some skill, this can be used to punish enemies that like to uppercut. The EX Teleport Drop hits twice, and can be used to punish those who block the first hit, and then try to counterattack. Mileena can also play some fiendish mind games with her High/Low mixups. She can perform Getaway Sticks to get the enemy to block low, then follow up with Splits, or Boot Down, which hit overhead.

Playing Keepaway:
If the enemy tries to get close, use Friendly Kiss to smack them away, or use her Teleport Drop mind games to make them regret trying to get close. The Air Sai Blast can also stop an enemy's advance.

Specifically against Liu Kang using Mileena:

Liu Kang's Bicycle Kick, and Dragon Kick both leave him vulnerable to a combo. Liu Kang can also mix up between high, low, and air projectiles, so it's generally a good idea to Teleport Drop over all of them. Liu Kang does have a parry move, but it doesn't work on low attacks. Just remember not to get yourself into a corner with Liu Kang.

Hope that helps. ;-)
Also go into the specific character threads for more help on defeating certain oppenents.
Lots of good suggestions and helpful stuff there.

Last edited:
Critical-Limit said:
"Mind Games"

The best tactic to have ever been made. I'm not the best player by any means but I do know how to play mind games.

If you're having trouble with kang I would try and learn his mix ups and zoning patterns. an when rushing him don't jump do your best to dash and block.

The best tactic to have ever been made. I'm not the best player by any means but I do know how to play mind games.

If you're having trouble with kang I would try and learn his mix ups and zoning patterns. an when rushing him don't jump do your best to dash and block.

If I wouldn't be able to play mindgames, every round would be a flawless victory for him. I got to know his patterns, I know what he does after a blocked B3,2,1 and so on. I know what he does to get in. The problem is I just can't attack him for the life of me.