Election 2012 - The Thread

Freyith

ELECTION 2012

Okay girls and boys, time for the Big Kahuna of this year's discussion topics--one that will affect all of us U.S. residents this year: the Congressional and of course, Presidential election of the 2012 cycle. Democrat 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama II, (former senator, D-IL), the incumbent, will be up against the winner of the Republican primary contest, of which the remaining candidates are second-generation, former state Governor and current businessman Mitt Romney (b. Michigan, fmr. Governor, R-MA), former senator of Pennsylvania Rick Santorum (R-PA), current Congressman of Texas' 14th district and former practicing medical physician Dr. Ron Paul, M.D. (R-TX), and former Congressman/Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and current private-sector lobbyist Newt Gingrich (R-GA). Also in play are all U.S. House of Representatives seats and a full one-third of United States Senate seats.

This thread will be for the discussion of the currently-evolving primary race as well as the general election and congressional races, as well as news items pertaining to them. Additionally, discussion of candidates' policies, statements, record, actions, debates, and other stances is also welcome here. This isn't a debate thread; it's a discussion thread. There is no imperative or idea in question. As such, it is requested that all posters in this thread exercise all due diligence in adhering to the rules of the board, remaining polite and civil, and refrain from engaging in outright attacks against each other. Similarly, no one is under any obligation to disclose their voting record or to encourage another from violating the right of a secret ballot, though volunteering such information is your choice.

With that said, have at it! Election season, whether you enjoy politics or not, is an exciting current event that brings out tons of interesting stories and related discussion topics. Predictions on the race, its developments, and the course of the national dialogue are highly encouraged.

We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.”
― Thomas Jefferson, Founding Father & 3rd President of the United States of America.​

No matter what Freyith... I just am hoping very very hard that Santorum does not come anywhere close to winning this election. If he does, I'm out of this country. There just won't be any hope left. That guy is as stupid and closed minded as they come.

I am sure this will get locked

Spoiler:
after the elections.

I am not too fond of my republican choices. Romney no, Santorum maybe, Paul yes.

Newt comes off as an irrelevant exboyfriend or girlfriend that still shows up at the Monday bowling nights, but you're there with your current boyfriend or girlfriend. And he is really awkward.

Hm.... disappointing. After reading that beautifully constructed opening post by Freyith, I was expecting an erudite discussion of the issues related to the candidates in this year's election. Instead, I got a session of making fun of the Republicans.

Hm.... disappointing. After reading that beautifully constructed opening post by Freyith, I was expecting an erudite discussion of the issues related to the candidates in this year's election. Instead, I got a session of making fun of the Republicans.

Sounds like someone is concerned that certain candidates have said something worthy of being made fun of.

Ahh Mr.Cowboy. You cannot possibly be that light skinned! To suggest that I'm making fun of the whole republican party is kind of absurd. I've only been bashing(rightfully, mind you) Santorum. He's a clown worthy of being bashed.

Frankly, Santorum undermines the legitimacy of the party as a whole. The guy is like a cardboard cut-out from "Leave It To Beaver" with his ideals that were, to be honest, already out of date with America by 1965. The failure of the Republican party to produce more moderate and cautioned candidates (like how they marginalized and ignored John Huntsman early on) might well cost them the election.

Obama has no back bone. He should be running for the republican nomination. Everything he does is in favor of the republicans. It's absolutely pathetic.

The only republican that isn't corrupt and only out to help "the 1%" is Ron Paul. But Ron Paul is extremely extreme in some issues but he's not a puppet so he has my vote.

I consider myself a progressive but I registered Republican just so I could vote of Ron Paul.

Ron Paul all the way.

I've been following the other candidates too mind you, so I'm not just another Paul Junkie like the 2008 Obama Zombies.
I actually half ass know what I'm talking about.

Heh. I'm not even American but I live here so I suppose this election is my business isn't it then? At any rate. It won't matter who gets elected. It'll just be the same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ev-

Okay. But on the real...

I'm pretty sure Santorum won't win the Presidential. If he does, I'm going back to Putin's Russia(it's not now but it will be, trust me). The man is a bigot and he altogether, is culturally retarded. Last thing we need right now is another dope degrading foreign relations. He'd put this country in hot water and I'm not sticking around for that nonsense.

Romney is kinda off and on. The edicts he wants to impose are half-and-half. I don't know too much about him, I just keep hearing mixed things about him. There really is no unified opinion of him that I have come across.

Don't even get me started on Newt...ugh...

This election sucks.

Ron Paul is extremely Anti-war and his will wont bend. Also the term "Obama Zombies" is uncalled for. If Obama did everything he promised he would have been the man who changed our country for the better.

Every GOP debate I watch makes me think about how close Obama's second term is.

same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ev-

Gotta respect the Talking Heads reference hahaha

I'm pretty sure Santorum won't win the Presidential. If he does, I'm going back to Putin's Russia(it's not now but it will be, trust me). The man is a bigot and he altogether, is culturally retarded. Last thing we need right now is another dope degrading foreign relations. He'd put this country in hot water and I'm not sticking around for that nonsense.

Agreed fully. Wait.. You're Russian? That's pretty damn cool, sir.

This election sucks.

I think most of us can fully agree on that.

Also the term "Obama Zombies" is uncalled for.

I wasn't talking about Obama supporters in general, only the people who thought he was Jesus on Ice because he was black.
A lot of his voters didn't even know his policies. All they knew was it was either the old white dude or the hip semi young black man.

Gotta respect the Talking Heads reference hahaha
I was hoping someone would catch that. lol

Agreed fully. Wait.. You're Russian? That's pretty damn cool, sir.

Yeah. I lived there till I was two. I don't have an accent or anything, nor do I know any conversational Russian. We moved out because the economical situation was completely horrid. I was born in 92' so the CCCP just collapsed. Things were pretty bad in Astrahkan. This is what my mother tells me, I don't remember any of this. Kinda glad. I love my country and its people to death, but it's not a good place right now. Makes me sad.

On the subject of the election...

As much as I love Ron Paul, he won't get elected. It just won't happen. His policies don't govern enough support for him to win a Presidential election. I doubt he'd even get a good run on the popular vote.

I wasn't talking about Obama supporters in general, only the people who thought he was Jesus on Ice because he was black.
A lot of his voters didn't even know his policies. All they knew was it was either the old white dude or the hip semi young black man.

The same can be said for the John McCain voters it goes both ways. My neighbor of 60 voted for the first time in his life because he didn't want a black man to be president.