How MORTAL KOMBAT influenced my childhood

nindustrialny

I and friends trained combos and fatalities on our classmates
Especially one who was an atheist.
We grabbed him and performed uppercuts and low kicks.
It was in primary school.
A long time ago.
ANd some people say that games doesnt have an inluence of children.

When MK was released it turned my life upside down for real.
And 20 years later I can honestly say... MK till the day life finishes me. (and KI) :)

I didnt have a computer while my friend owned AMIGA 500 and I asked him to record the gameplay on video
my mother said then that i was crazy
"how could I watch this " she always asked

A long time ago.
you appear to have been an evil young man

Hahaha I love this thread already.

MK influenced me as a child because I loved watching WWF and how hardcore/badass it was. So MK was just as awesome to me.
One of my best memories is going to my Aunt's house because they had MK1. We didn't, so I really enjoyed that!

i was into everything that had martial arts.. So i played mk1 in the arcades as a child.. This was then mk was a new game. Before it came to the consoles. It was the coolest game i had ever seen. And the first time i saw it, a guy was playing as scorpion. I remember how cool the voices sounded.. "scorpion wins".. "come here".. ect.. And Raiden scared me at first sight.

My friends would also play around with moves from MK. :)

A long time ago.

Baahaaahahaha

I grew up in a poor (white trash) family, that usually lived in "the bad part of town". I was good at (original)MK & knew how to do Sub's spine-rip fatality. As such, from an early age, I had to learn how to actually fight, coz I got really f***in sick of getting bashed every time I ripped someones head off. THATS's how MK influenced my childhood.

Aaaah, the good ol' days ...

I remember when the 1st game came out and I was hooked for ever.
who would have thought that 20 years on this game is still going. think of all the other fighting games that have been and gone
streetfighter , tekken , virtual fighter , dead or alive . All good games in their own right but had their day
long live MK

this isnt really about MK, but kinda fit's in this thread ...

This is Isaac, one of my mates. And we were discussing how playing fighting games as kids effected our lives today. We used to play alot of Dead or Alive as kids, and he does shit like this for a living ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egmifv3Kfgo

He likes J.C.V.D and sucks at MK ... but he's a good bloke.

Last edited:
I remember playing mk 1 with my classmates at an internet caffe(there weren't to many guys that owned a pc back then) , we all gathered our allowance and went to play mk after school...Doing fatalities on your friends was fun...Later that year my dad bought me a terminator console(a snes replica), i was the first kid on the block that had one ...all my friends came to my house and we played mk and street fighter until we broke the joystikcs..i had to replace each one at least once a month ... I guess in some way mk brought me and my friends closer...We had a lot of fun , made jokes imagining new fatalities and friendships...

me and my pops went to the rent movies back in 94 and i saw this g playing the mk2 arcade doing the latter just for 25 cents. Respect my G

As a child i remember acting the roles in the original movie in the backyard. My cousins and i would try to act who we were. I always wanted to be Lui Kang. If it wasn't Lui Kang then it was Raiden. Mortal Kombat influenced the hell out of my life. I was born in 1990 and the games and movies came out in the 90's. All i can say is now is that i like to see other peoples memories and opinions on MK.

When I first played MK vs Dc, I had no idea there where such thing as fatalities. I figured out when I lost and my opponent did one to me. I started looking up how to do fatalities on the internet. I always loved to do one after a fight. I learned on the internet of things called combos. I saw that combos were what would help you win a fight and I thought if they can help me win, then I can easily win and do a fatality. Now, I'm really into combos when it comes to playing fighting games. I still like to do fatalities, but if I can't do one, then it's still ok.

I used to draw my own movement guides as soon as I tested some movement or fatality... those were the good old days :3

I got a second hand copy of MK1 for Genesis when I was in 7th grade, and I used to wake up every morning before school and beat it.

I mean, I cheated my ass off, so I finished it in like 5 minutes, but still :laugh: