Mortal Kombat: Anthology, Game Ideas [Tentative Title]

NimbusTerrafaux

Hello, my name is Trevor Cochran and me and around 19 of my friends are starting a project in the Unity game engine we're calling (for the time being) 'Mortal Kombat: Anthology'. Obviously it would be fighting game made similarly to the 2011 reboot. I wanted to post in this thread to garner ideas from true fans, because we want to make a game for not only ourselves; but for the die-hard MK fans as well. We already have a few ideas set in stone: Firstly, the game would feature an exact total of 100 fighters, some taken from the comics and novels and three of our own creation. They will feature all of the costumes and move-sets from previous games if available. Players would be able to choose the move-sets and combos they wish to use in both versus and the new version of the arcade mode called "Trials". (Think remapping the moves in the Tony Hawk games, you'll be able to select what combos, specials, fatalities, ect. before each fight.)
There will also be an upgrade system like the one found in Shaolin Monks, but revamped and far deeper than that one.
There will be 25 arenas in the game, though we're still deciding which to use. What we need to know is what you would like to see in the game, so we created a few questions about the game which we're still trying to work out the most:
1. Should it be an 8-way run fighting system (MK:DA, MK:D, MK:A) or a 2.5-D fighter like MK 9?
2. Should the arenas include weapons and/or death traps?
3. Should the arenas have multiple floors and/or destructible elements?
4. Should we implement systems such as rage or the special meter? What other ideas for similar gameplay systems would you like to see?
5. Should we include Animalities, Brutalities and other finishers like them? (Besides the fatalities of course)
6. Any new gameplay ideas you'd like to see implemented?
Of course, feel free to post any questions you might have or ideas. We are not working on story ideas right now, so please don't post them here. After we have the concepts for the gameplay finished; we'll begin work on the story.

And here's a list of the characters that will be featured: (Our original characters feature a * by the character's name.)

Abacus
Asgaarth
Ashrah
Baphomet
Baraka
Belokk
Blaze
Bo' Rai Cho
Chameleon
Cyrax
Daegon
Dairou
Darrius
Delia
Drahmin
Earth God
Ermac
Fire God
Frost
Fujin
Goro
Great Kung Lao
Grum
Hachiman
Havik
Henge
Hornbuckle
Hotaru
Hsu Hao
Hydro
Jade
Jarek
Jataaka
Jax Briggs
Johnny Cage
Kabal
Kahil Grigesh
Kai
Kano
Kenshi
Khameleon
Kia
King Jarrod
Kintaro
Kira
Kitana
Kochal
Kung Lao
Li Mei
Liu Kang
Maya*
Meat
Mikka Stone
Mileena
Mokap
Moloch
Monster
Motaro
Nightwolf
Nimbus Terrafaux
Nitara
No Face
Noob Saibot
Onaga
Oniro
Raiden
Rain
Reiko
Reptile
Rojack
Ruutuu
Sareena
Scorpion
Sektor
Shang Tsung
Shao Khan
Sheeva
Shinnok
Shujinko
Sindel
Skream*
Skarlet
Smoke
Sonya Blade
Stryker
Sub Zero
Sylence
Syra*
Tanya
Tasia
Taven
Tiamat
Torque
Tremor
Tundra
Unit 5
Vapor
Water God
Wu Lae
Zaggot
Zebron

Last edited:
Wow, you and your friends seem to have your hands full. If you need any help, I'll be glad to help out with what I can. Anyway, suggestions:

1. Definitely 2.5-D
2. Only death traps, but they can only be used if the opponent is in danger health and it's the second round
3. This probably won't affect gameplay too much, so that's up to you.
4. Definitely special meter. Leave it as it is, though.
5. I'd like to see some cool animalities. If you end up doing brutalities, make it so you just have to do any 4-5 hit combo after the finish him/her to start it off.
6. I've been wondering how a first person-MK mode would be.....

Also, if any of these characters don't work out, please feel free to check out mine and everyone else's characters on this website(Mine are at this link: http://http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/16850-MK-Kharacter-Ideas?highlight=)

Anyway,good luck with the game. Hope it turns out well!

Sounds awesome, good luck.

I think that 2.5D is the way to go.
No death traps or weapons.
Fatalities and Brutalities only, no friendships, babalities, or animalities
Stage fatality on EVERY stage
No multiple floors, its terribly annoying to leave a stage you like due to an uppercut
As for stages, Pit I, II, & III are a must, as is the Living Forest, the Kombat Tomb, Goro's Lair, and the Warrior Shrine
4 Legged Motaro
Normal, not feline, Kintaro
The original Shao Kahn voice
Choice of select screen music, from any of the games. I am particularly partial to the SNES versions of MKI and MKII.

Lol I'm with Flying Jinko on this one (on both accounts :laugh:)
I like the idea of what you are doing, but 100 characters?
Seems very MUGEN/Armageddon-like, which is in no way a good thing.
But hell, maybe this has potential.
So, with the questions.

1. Should it be an 8-way run fighting system (MK:DA, MK:D, MK:A) or a 2.5-D fighter like MK 9?

It's up to you, I'd like to see it on the 2.5 plane.

Absolutely not.

Some areas would be a nice touch, yes. But not all of them, and keep it subtle.

4. Should we implement systems such as rage or the special meter? What other ideas for similar gameplay systems would you like to see?

Well, a special meter would be ideal but not Rage. Other ideas? Can't think of any right now.

5. Should we include Animalities, Brutalities and other finishers like them? (Besides the fatalities of course)

Whatever is easier to make and what you want to add. Stage fatality is essential, and a Friendship or Brutality would be cool. No animalities or babalities though, I think those just wouldn't make the cut in terms of popularity.

None that I can think of, but please make the character select screen nice and presentable.
No one wants to see a 180px icon for Havok that was taken off of google images in the game, know what I mean?
Also, this had better be non-profit. Otherwise, you are running into legal trouble. Just a heads up, In case you didn't know.

Forgot to fill in the questionnaire, and thanks TaBB, I used your format lol :p.

I think it should be a 2.5D fighter, since many of the characters uses projectiles and going for a 3D fighter will make them reduntant

I don't think it would be neccesary. Personally I feel these will only encourage players to get a cheap win off their opponents.

Im not in for multiple floors but I wouldn't mind destructible elements provided it doesn't do additional damage and does not cause a big distraction.

Would like to see an enhanced special meter like MK9 and xrays if possible.

I think brutalities would be a good addition.

I would like to see the characters rendered in their original intended body physique (height/weight) than all of them being the same height. Ill update if I get more ideas.

Lol I'm with Flying Jinko on this one (on both accounts :laugh:)
I like the idea of what you are doing, but 100 characters?
Seems very MUGEN/Armageddon-like, which is in no way a good thing.
But hell, maybe this has potential.
So, with the questions.

It's up to you, I'd like to see it on the 2.5 plane.

Absolutely not.

Some areas would be a nice touch, yes. But not all of them, and keep it subtle.

Well, a special meter would be ideal but not Rage. Other ideas? Can't think of any right now.

Whatever is easier to make and what you want to add. Stage fatality is essential, and a Friendship or Brutality would be cool. No animalities or babalities though, I think those just wouldn't make the cut in terms of popularity.

None that I can think of, but please make the character select screen nice and presentable.
No one wants to see a 180px icon for Havok that was taken off of google images in the game, know what I mean?
Also, this had better be non-profit. Otherwise, you are running into legal trouble. Just a heads up, In case you didn't know.

Making the game too much like Aramgeddon was a big concern for us too. We want all of the characters to feel and react like individuals. For example, Frost will not be simply a female version of Sub-Zero; she'll be quicker, more elegant with her movements. Her fighting stance will be unique, even the more mundane elements are being taken into consideration. We're working on concepts for the character select screen as well, we have quite a few ideas floating around and we'll present them as soon as we can.

Also, in regards to the number of characters:
In conceptualizing the game, we knew packing the game full of characters for the sake of pull out as many of the stops as we could was a bad idea. Each character has a story and is an individual in the MK-universe and we're treating it as such.
Instead of including a story mode, we're including a system similar to ladder mode. Except it will tell a portion of the story as a whole. Every character goes through his or her "Trails" mode and reveals a new portion of the story told from their perspective. These trails, while not featuring spoken dialogue; do have a narrator unfold the tale, which we will be working on shortly.
So in brief, we're going for the same quality as MK-9 with an abundance of content.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have another request, Belokk, the cancelled MK IV character. He looked awesome from the few tiny pixelated screenshots in existence.
belokk-euro05.jpg

Making the game too much like Aramgeddon was a big concern for us too. We want all of the characters to feel and react like individuals. For example, Frost will not be simply a female version of Sub-Zero; she'll be quicker, more elegant with her movements. Her fighting stance will be unique, even the more mundane elements are being taken into consideration. We're working on concepts for the character select screen as well, we have quite a few ideas floating around and we'll present them as soon as we can.

Also, in regards to the number of characters:
In conceptualizing the game, we knew packing the game full of characters for the sake of pull out as many of the stops as we could was a bad idea. Each character has a story and is an individual in the MK-universe and we're treating it as such.
Instead of including a story mode, we're including a system similar to ladder mode. Except it will tell a portion of the story as a whole. Every character goes through his or her "Trails" mode and reveals a new portion of the story told from their perspective. These trails, while not featuring spoken dialogue; do have a narrator unfold the tale, which we will be working on shortly.
So in brief, we're going for the same quality as MK-9 with an abundance of content.

Sounds good, Trevor, looking forward to it. :)

I have another request, Belokk, the cancelled MK IV character. He looked awesome from the few tiny pixelated screenshots in existence.
belokk-euro05.jpg

Ryan, one of our four character designers; was using Undead General as a place holder of sorts. We weren't really sure what do with him, so Belokk will probably make it into game, namely because he looks more interesting than Undead General.

After a while working with and playing the last few MK games, we've decided that first arena that will be created for the game is Acid Bath. This also gives us a chance to announce a few other arenas and gameplay features we've decided put in game the thus far. Besides Acid Bath, the game will feature all of the 'Pit' stages (in some fashion or another), Living Forest, Dead Pool, Elder God's Arena and Goro's Arena. Of course these are subject to change, but these are the most likely ones to be in the game first. We'll release a full list when we're close to our final decision on the matter.
We decided to announce Acid Bath as our first choice because it ties into a major gameplay decision, which we wanted your opinion on. Rather than adopting 'Death Traps', we wanted to create in game 'hazards' which, as opposed to simply being able to throw your opponents into them; would require a combination of buttons. This would allow them to be implemented in a more tactical way than simply being a 'cheap' maneuver that could be used over and over again. They would also eliminate the idea of getting cheap victories from death traps as well.
Secondly, the game will be 2.5D; this was what we were leaning towards as well, but we wanted to consult other fans before moving forward.
The final announcement I have at this time is regarding how the characters will appear in the game. All of the characters will appear as they were originally intended to. Characters will also have their original proportions and conceptual designs. So this means that yes, Motoro will have four legs and Kintaro will be closely modeled after his character from MKII, as well as many other changes.
That's all we have to announce for now, our next major post will be regarding the upgrade and move set systems, which we've almost come to a final decision on.
Thanks for all your help thus far and we hope to hear lots more ideas from you soon! We'll also be opening a forum in regards to the story soon, so please post there too! Thanks!

You should include Cyber Smoke, if you were only gonna include his human form.

Edit:

If you are looking for more Original Characters you could use this one.

http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/23401-Lucius

Original characters were something we've been a little timid about doing; but we've made the decision to incorporate 10 OC characters from any that are submitted. We realize that 100 characters may seem a bit overwhelming already, but we'd love to include other fan created content as well. So please submit your original characters as well as any ideas for arenas you may have. And don't forget to post regarding your ideas regarding gameplay! Thanks!

I thought over some ideas last night, these are just my opinion

Plane-2.5

Finishers-Fatalities (Obviously) Stage Fatalities, and Brutalities. Those are definitely the most popular finishers

Death Traps- I think death traps should be like only for the stage fatalities, not instakills like MK:DA - MK:A

Stages- Quan Chi's Lair, (with laser stage fatality) Ying Yang Island from MK Deception, Top of Shinnok's spire (With a scenic overlook of the netherrealm)

Important Update

We've finally decided on a name for the project. Mortal Kombat: Resurrection will take place after the events of Armageddon and will use a proprietary licence for the Torque Game Engine Advanced (formerly Unity). The game will include a total of 110 fighters with an expansive story mode featuring 35 arenas from all of the previous games. We're right in the middle of pre-production currently, and due to the nature of this project; we can't yet specify a release date. But we again hope to make a game with the quality of MK9 with the amount of content as a game like Skyrim. We hope you all remain interested and we hope to talk to you again soon! Thanks!

Important Update

We've finally decided on a name for the project. Mortal Kombat: Resurrection will take place after the events of Armageddon and will use a proprietary licence for the Torque Game Engine Advanced (formerly Unity). The game will include a total of 110 fighters with an expansive story mode featuring 35 arenas from all of the previous games. We're right in the middle of pre-production currently, and due to the nature of this project; we can't yet specify a release date. But we again hope to make a game with the quality of MK9 with the amount of content as a game like Skyrim. We hope you all remain interested and we hope to talk to you again soon! Thanks!

Sounds really cool, I can't wait for this game, I'm sure it'll be fit to bursting with content.

That would be epic. Please make this.

I had an OC in mind. It's getting late so I'll do it later.

Also, I don't think you should accept the other OC's. Some are great, but MK just has too many ninjas.
Honestly, even though I like Noob the most, I think that the ONLY ninjas in MK should be Scorpion and Sub Zero. It's ridiculous.
We need more original content!

Last edited:
My Character Scorch is an original character I made up.Hes a teal ninja because thats pretty much the only non taken color for a ninja.Anyway he has the ability to freeze opponents but he has to touch them its not like Subby where he shoots it out of his hands.And he can shoot magma out of his hands so he is a fire and ice ninja basically.He also lives in the shadows.

Also another non used MK character you could put in is Aqua who was gonna be in Mortal Kombat Trilogy but wasnt in the final game.....aqua_ending_0.png