stick vs D pad: the consensus

Wrath_the_Furious

For all the years I have played fighting games I have never fully defeat my ancient nemesis: the joy stick.
I never had the time or the quarters to defeat the fiendish swine on his own territory and as time has marched on I haven't given it much thought until a wayward relative bought me arcade stick for Christmas. Now I find myself attempting to unlearn 16 years of D pad inputs. I'am making a new years resolution to master it but I would like to know how many out there prefer the stick to the D pad.

I hate using the analog stick on my pad. The arcade stick I have had for a while is boss and i prefer using that but so far I've only used it on MK

Stick is fun. Some (much better players than myself) say it's not the best, but I also don't aim to be the best. That said, I fight my best with my arcade stick, even in KOFXIII, though performing drive cances, hyper cancels, and NEO MAX cancels can be next to impossible on a stick due to the timing requirements. That said, it still opens up a ton of possibilities with some characters. My King in KOFXIII is strong, but even more so with a stick. I can't really get on with a stick in SSFIV though.

Stick is fun. Some (much better players than myself) say it's not the best, but I also don't aim to be the best. That said, I fight my best with my arcade stick, even in KOFXIII, though performing drive cances, hyper cancels, and NEO MAX cancels can be next to impossible on a stick due to the timing requirements. That said, it still opens up a ton of possibilities with some characters. My King in KOFXIII is strong, but even more so with a stick. I can't really get on with a stick in SSFIV though.

I'm rather inept with it at KOF

Old habits die hard. I don't know how to use anything else but the d-pad, having used it exclusively for so long. The fact that joysticks can get pricy doesn't help things either.

Last edited:
I use joystick in Street Fighter, but pad in Mortal Kombat.
In fact, I have always used the pad in MK; the only exception is I use the stick to do Shang Tsung's soul steal in MK9

I absolutely despise using the D-pad for fighting games, but a lot of that is due to having shitty thumb dexterity. Well, the fact that the D-pad on the 360 was engineered for inaccuracy might have something to do with it, too.

It's really weird because I never thought I would ever get away from the D pad and I now find myself never using it. I am used to the stick and it feels odd to go back to the D pad.

I may have to abandon the stick for tekken. I can't seem to pull off Kazuya's uppercut and I refuse to fight without the option of finishing a match with it for the replay.

I'm a D-pad guy, so much so that I've bought several different 360 controllers in pursuit of a better one.

Sure, I grew up playing on sticks in the arcades, but I totally sucked at video games as a kid. I just never really had a chance to get my joystick motor skills down. By the time I really starting to improve at games overall, arcades were pretty well toast.

Relevant pic: the D-pad of the gods...

segasat.jpg

I'm a D-pad guy, so much so that I've bought several different 360 controllers in pursuit of a better one.

Sure, I grew up playing on sticks in the arcades, but I totally sucked at video games as a kid. I just never really had a chance to get my joystick motor skills down. By the time I really starting to improve at games overall, arcades were pretty well toast.

Relevant pic: the D-pad of the gods...

segasat.jpg

like this one better
34512764_FT_440x330.JPG

When it comes to the D-pad, I prefer the 4 hard keys vs the wheel.
I just realized I've always had a controller with those arrows..
In order:
SNES
N64
Sega Dreamcast
PS1
PS2
PS3

Almost 100% of my history of playing games has been done with a D-Pad, With Rpgs and Street Fighter being the exceptions.

Arcade stick is FAR more superior to a crappy dpad controller(especially this generation). Fighting games were MEANT for them. You can not play games like SF, KOF, and especially VF to the full potiental without one. You just can't. Mine stick recently messed up so I can't stand playing most fighting game(competitively) right now without it. Hopefully I'll get it fixed soon. =/