Resident Evil 1-5 and everything in between =)

mkray41

Developed by Slant-Six (former developer of Socom), Operation Raccoon City has finally been confirmed; will be a team-based shooter. PS3 and Xbox 360 are the confirmed consoles. More info will be released in the May issue of the Official Xbox Magazine. Here are the details given so far:

-The game takes place in 1998, a time where Resident Evil fans already know what's set to take place. The title lets you enjoy the series from a new perspective, as the men and women who are technically responsible for it all.

-Rather than continuing the zombie slaying antics of BSAA agents, you're taken back to the original outbreak "that underscored both Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis."

-The game doesn't require any crazy amounts of knowledge of the past titles or characters involved in the series. The title opens up to a "quartet of new faces". Essentially, you're playing as members of the official Umbrella Security Services squad.

-Operation Raccoon City is a team-based shooter allowing four members of the USS team to destroy all evidence of the ongoing outbreak. Along with slaying the zombies, you're looking to "kill pretty much every survivor possible".

-The gameplay is described as "dirty", and the series will feel much darker than it has up to this point.

-The game features three factions that Capcom has stated make up a "three-corner conflict". The other two factions are the US Spec Ops, who are there to repel the USS, and the "bio-organic weapon monsters (BOWs) created by Umbrella.

-The USS team is made up of the following characters: Vector, Beltway, Bertha, and Spectre. Depending on which character you choose, the responsibilities that you're asked to do within your team will variate.

-Hunk, first seen in Resident Evil 2 as a hidden character, is the inspiration behind the USS team.

-"Whichever team you play on, you'll be facing Umbrella-created horrors in between skirmishes with each other".

-Zombies in the game can sense you in three different manners: sight, sound, and smell.

-A situation is described in the game where Vector cloaks himself to stir up previously slumbering zombies to use against the Special Ops military foes.

-Quite a few scenarios in the game aren't "all about headshots". A quote in the article states, "It's about shooting the other soldiers - manipulating the, making them bleed."

-The game will take you through a number of familiar areas if you're a Resident Evil junkie who remembers your journey to Raccoon City.

-Operation Raccoon City, depending on how you play the game, will give you the option to "change the history of Resident Evil". Not only will you have the chance to meet and interact with various characters from the series, but you'll even have the opportunity to kill them.

-One of the mottos repeated to OXM throughout the demo was "Kill Leon". It's also stated that if you choose to represent in the game as the Special Ops team, that you'd more than likely have the goal of trying to save Leon Kennedy.

-Slant Six or Capcom won't reveal if any other characters will be playable in the title just yet, but it'd make sense to see quite a few big cameos.

-The title will still see players relying on collecting herbs to heal from any attacks you may suffer. You won't need to hoard any herbs, but they'll still benefit you to collect them throughout the game.

-"This is not a one-versus-one game where you've got one clip full of ammo and zombies on you. If you've ever thought of those times in an RE game when you thought, 'I'd wish I had a big gun', that's what this game is. It's not fair to give people big guns, then take all the ammo away."

-One of the pictures in the article showcases a zombie being used as a "meatshield".

-Operation Raccoon City allows players to earn XP for kills, with these points helping you survive the onslaught, and to help to encourage you to anihilate everything in your path.

-The XP will allow you to earn new abilities, such as Vector's cloaking skill, and new weapons.

-Tyrants will most definitely be included in the title.

Source:http://tinyurl.com/6bq3qlv

Update #1: Capcom has officially revealed RE: Operation Raccoon City:
REORC-FINAL-EU-LOGO-BLK-BG-RGB.jpg

Official Reveal here: http://tinyurl.com/6yy6lcd

Here are the covers of the various magazines that will contain previews of Raccoon City:
GP_0511_lay3.jpg

COP_ICOP_PSM167_cover_LISCIA.jpg

Gamereactor-Denmark.jpg

Gamereactor-Finland.jpg

POM0511_small.jpg

OPM-Cover.jpg

OXM0511pCoverUS1.jpg

Gamereactor-Sweden.jpg

Update #2: RE: Operation Raccoon City Teaser Trailer:

Update #3: Gameplay Trailer:

Update #4: E3 Trailer

Last edited:
Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Unveiled

So much Resident Evil news the past couple of days :D Seems like there taking the gameplay a whole new direction! Cant wait to see it in action :D

Greatest video game series ever.

So much Resident Evil news the past couple of days :D Seems like there taking the gameplay a whole new direction! Cant wait to see it in action :D

Yeah, there really has been alot. It sounds interesting, hopefully they'll show some gameplay soon. Now we just gotta wait for the inevitable RE6 announcement. ;)

I wish they would make Forest playable <3

If anyone ever posted in RE forums, JadeSpeyer here, lulz.

i never played code veronica. whose the main character & can u play as a female?? (i h8 playing as males)

A quick question to the hardcore RE fans. Are you all cool with the way they've been messing with RE? I mean, I've seen nothing but good reviews for RE4 (myself included, I enjoyed playing and beating it a lot) and RE5, but I also notice that some of the other hardcore fans hate the direction the RE games have been going. (I.E. heavy emphasis on shooting one guy told me). With this recent reveal, I bet they'll go even crazier; imagine RE running like a Socom game. It just sounds awesome imo.

i never played code veronica. whose the main character & can u play as a female?? (i h8 playing as males)

If I remember correctly, you play as Claire for the first half and Chris for the second half of Code Veronica. Theres also some other characters unlocked after you beat the game.

Last edited:

IMO, this concept sounds really lame... I'd rather they revive the Outbreak co-op games than make this.

I am a Resident Evil fan, but mainly of the older 3rd person games rather than the Over-The-Shoulder games the series turned toward in RE4. I miss when this series was actually creepy, survival horror, and not an action game. This game sounds like it pushes the action aspect even more.

I loved what the Outbreak games were going for, they could do so well if they built off of those. I liked being able to hide under beds, inside lockers, etc. They could make a very suspenseful co-op game if done right.

Oh well.

A quick question to the hardcore RE fans. Are you all cool with the way they've been messing with RE? I mean, I've seen nothing but good reviews for RE4 (myself included, I enjoyed playing and beating it a lot) and RE5, but I also notice that some of the other hardcore fans hate the direction the RE games have been going. (I.E. heavy emphasis on shooting one guy told me). With this recent reveal, I bet they'll go even crazier; imagine RE running like a Socom game. It just sounds awesome imo.

If I remember correctly, you play as Claire for the first half and Chris for the second half of Code Veronica. Theres also some other characters unlocked after you beat the game.

cool!! i love unlocking new characters!!

To me the series was lost as soon as RE2 started going in an infested city direction. I do remember a large chunk of the game taking place in a police station which is confining, but still you'd be trapped in an area with plenty of weapons and ammo. Not the same for a mansion (well I guess it depends on whose mansion it is. If its Ted Nugents...well his probably is as stocked as a police station). There was nothing more creepy than being trapped and confined to a house (albeit a rather large house) and a property. I think I beat RE2 (its been so long I can't remember), never played RE3, I recall beating Code Veronica, and I have RE4 for PS2 but have played all of 5-10 minutes of it

The next best one and the one that to me captured the original the most was Code Veronica, although its been so long since I played that one on Dreamcast that I may change my mind if I ever saw it again.

It just seems that if you can run around in a city, there should be more avenues to escape a horde of zombies as opposed to a house. I think that's why I like Dead Space so much. You're confined to a space station as opposed to, say a whole space city or multiple space stations (I have DS2, but haven't played it yet).

I recently played the RE5 demo I've had sitting on my PS3 hard drive for, I guess probably a year now and its not bad. I don't know the premise of RE4 or RE5 having not played them through, but to me the crazed town people just don't capture the same magic that zombies do

I understand why they chose to take the game in the new directions they have since the original, because you can't keep recycling the same material over and over again (much to the dismay of Castlevania fans), but....I guess RE1 will hold a special place in my heart as a truely terrific horror game (although not the scariest. Dead Space is by far the most heart stopping game ever made).

This game has been failing ever since RE3 and it became a joke. RE5 was so bad thta I didn't even bother putting it into my collection of bad games. And now this ... :(

Capcom knows nothing about what the fans want and has been ruining its franchises for a while. Looking forward to the new SH more than this and eventually more than any RE game in the future.

I've been playing Resident Evil since the original in 96' And I agree with Jade that it is the greatest game series ever. I really started to lose interest since RE 4, because it became more of an action game, and RE5 followed suit, They were really fun, but it just did'nt have the fright factor that RE 1-Code Veronica had. I thought the Gamecube remake was a masterpiece but the last 2 cannon entries really have'nt caught my fancy, this new title sounds very interesting though, at least they're bringing the zombies back, and it looks like its' gonna have a Left 4 Dead vibe to it, which is really interesting, I'll definetly be looking foward to this., Speaking of Left 4 Dead, where the heck is part 3 Valve???!!

So the common theme I see here is that its not so much the gameplay as it is the scare factor.

So the common theme I see here is that its not so much the gameplay as it is the scare factor.

Who said RE5 has a good gameplay?

Meh if not the hype and popularity , this game ain't getting more than 7.5 . It felt so arcady and even the action sequences were ... just ... not very well thought up.

RE1-3 had the feeling of being isolated, had the atmosphere that things aren't to be predicted. It wasn't linear. They were the games that Capcom are trying to make today. They say that they are leaning to the Western market , those games made what they are thinking about doing today. They didn't feel Japanese and you couldn't tell unless you were informed.

Sorry but Dead Space is the future ... atleast for now.

Who said RE5 has a good gameplay?

Meh if not the hype and popularity , this game ain't getting more than 7.5 . It felt so arcady and even the action sequences were ... just ... not very well thought up.

RE1-3 had the feeling of being isolated, had the atmosphere that things aren't to be predicted. It wasn't linear. They were the games that Capcom are trying to make today. They say that they are leaning to the Western market , those games made what they are thinking about doing today. They didn't feel Japanese and you couldn't tell unless you were informed.

Sorry but Dead Space is the future ... atleast for now.

Keiji Inafune said during 2009 Tokyo Gaming Show that the Japanese gaming industry is finished; not to say that those words may have spurned all these changes, but you'd think someone with as much renown and respect wouldn't say something that negative unless it were true. Maybe they've listened to him or others and decided to change up certain elements of their games to change with the times.

Keiji Inafune said during 2009 Tokyo Gaming Show that the Japanese gaming industry is finished; not to say that those words may have spurned all these changes, but you'd think someone with as much renown and respect wouldn't say something that negative unless it were true. Maybe they've listened to him or others and decided to change up certain elements of their games to change with the times.

There is something wrong with the situation between the gamers and the Japanese games . I would say it is the very bad communication. The Japanese market is so weak compared to the Western and the development costs are really high at Japan.Capcom is a leading Japanese Publisher that influences the other smaller COs. The problem is that it can't handle its situation as it did years ago.
They are heading to westernize their Franchises , but the fans scream " No" " We want the games we used to play/love". Capcom isn't giving them any attention. Both Capcom and Inafune are taking the same direction that is going away from what made you popular at first.Both don't understand that the fans and even new gamers want to experience the Japanese games as they were , Japanese.

Same goes for FF from Square and many other Japanese franchises. They just failed to evolve while keeping the same basic elements that kept them popular.

Update 1 added to opening post; Capcom officially reveals Operation Raccoon City and shows off the various magazine covers that will contain previews of Operation Raccoon City.