Mortal Kombat, The Revision Q&A Thread

TaBB3rnackle92

Trolling You For Fun & Profit
First of all, I want to thank anyone and everyone who read my story, it means a lot.
Even if you just skimmed it and thought it was terrible, at least you gave it a chance.
And for those who enjoyed it and told me so, that meant the most.
Especially those with a good bit of practice for fanfic under their belts.
The people who praised it gave me the willpower to keep on going to finish it up.
You guys are the best :) :cry: :)
You make me feel like this:
Spoiler:
n4gy1e.gif

So, you might have just finished Revision or maybe just the last chapter.
I'll answer questions from all chapters, discuss what inspired me to write them, and possible routes for Book 2. So long as it doesn't spoil anything in Book 2, let's discuss :cool:

Last edited:
Will we be possibly seeing more of Subby, Liu, and Reptile in book 2? Also, what made you think of writing this story in more of an urban/modern setting rather than Mortal Kombat's traditional outworld/netherrealm/etc.?

Possibilities of Subzero, Liu Kang, and Reptile in Book 2?
I can neither confirm nor deny that ;)
I'll just say this, anybody in Book 1 has a chance of coming back in Book II or III.
I plan on making a Trilogy, and you know what they say about MK.
No one stays dead :laugh:

As far as writing it in the 90's and modern setting as opposed to the traditional MK route, regular MK seemed boring and played out to me, (you might agree, because of the Fallout/MK "Tournament of the Wastes" fanfic you're doing). At first, revision was going to be only Smoke in today's world of ipods and facebook, told throughout the first person. I thought of making Revision at work, and it was all I could think of doing for three days; Until I knew I had to write it. But when I started typing, I could only start with Subzero turning into Cyber Subzero.. it kinda grew from there. But I knew having it with different surroundings and characters developing would set my fanfic apart and make it unique. That's the main reason I did it different, I wanted a unique approach :)

Last edited:
Alright you ready for questions TaBB!?

1) Which chapter was your favorite?
2) Did you base your chapters off of real life experiences?
3) Was Barry a nickname for Baraka?
4) Are you keeping the same forumla for Book 2 or switching it up on us?

Alright you ready for questions TaBB!?

1) Which chapter was your favorite?
2) Did you base your chapters off of real life experiences?
3) Was Barry a nickname for Baraka?
4) Is Shao Khan gonna be in Book 2?

Good shit, these are some good ass questions :cool:

1.) My favorite was Subzero, I loved doing his chapter. Especially Part 1, that was so much fun to write, I had to stop before I went too far :laugh:

2.) I didn't base any of the chapters off of real life experiences, but there were some similar things I put in some of them. Like, when Subzero was outside smoking, that's usually how I was.. just thinking really hard and telling myself smoking helped get rid of my nightmares.. so yeah, that's a real life experience lol. The military stuff I added in Sonya and Liu's chapter's is kinda from my point of view, too.. seeing how me starting bootcamp isn't too far away from now.

3.) Yes, yes it was :mullet:

4.) That is a good question to ask, the answer so far is that I don't know yet. I have put a lot of thought into it, but so far nothing is set in stone. The only two that are 100% for sure going to be in Book II are Kitana and Mileena, so far.

Mileena and Kitana will share the First Chapter in Book II, that is confirmed.

Possible picks for Book II:
Cyrax and Sektor continued.
Hanzo's transformation into Scorpion.
Smoke.
Chameleon and Khameleon.
Shao Kahn.

And ideas MKII or MK related are welcome, as well as possible routes for the storyline.
Every idea suggested will be considered, I want to make this a better story so input is desired.

Alright, so inspiration.
I have already discussed a bit of Chapter 1's background.. lemme dip further into that.
As you know, the gameplan was going to be a 90's fanfic biography for Smoke.
Wrote two lines and scrapped it, almost walked away.
Then, I changed a few lines in the dialogue; and for lulz, put in Kuai Liang.
It just worked, the ideas were coming from my hands before I could even think of them.
Bi Han as the douchebag older brother, going out to party with Quan Chi, the brother's strict father, Hanzo as Kuai's best friend.. it just came from nowhere. I had dabbled a bit in creative writing in Elementary school (as required) but never had an insane amount of luck with writing. I had good sentence structure and grammar, but my stories lacking emotion.. but with MK, I thought I could change it. So it dawned on me I needed to make Subzero's history different.. give it a new feel. Make you see in Sub's head as he begins to fight Cedric (Cyrax) and the fateful turn into Cyber Subzero. How the Grandmaster harnessed his powers as an excuse to automate him and turn him into a freeze powered tool of the Lin Kuei. Chapter 1 was the most fun (next to Johnny's) I had writing, while Liu Kang's and Reptile's I had the most trouble with.

F*ck yes :hail:

Another question, when you were writing this story did you worry about the risk of someone not liking it because you didn't go with the general direction of Mortal Kombat fanfiction?

F*ck yes :hail:

Another question, when you were writing this story did you worry about the risk of someone not liking it because you didn't go with the general direction of Mortal Kombat fanfiction?

Thanks bro, I think it fits the mood I created for Revision nicely :cool:
But to your question, that's a big goddamn yes. Especially Liu Kang's and Reptile's.. I thought people were going to hate it. I think those are my weakest chapters, I really struggled with them. I said I forgot about them, and sometimes I did.. but most the time I sat down and tried to force ideas out to continue the story. After I finished Reptile's.. I thought my streak was over. I was honestly about to stop writing.. but you and a few others enjoyed it so I continued to write. My biggest fear of people not liking it was on Chapter 1, Subzero. There were mixed reactions on how people didn't like how Sub got captured. I was worried about that, but the best thing about making this is that I can change the future and rewrite it. After I finished Johnny's, I thought everyone was going to be on board with the changes.. but then Liu Kang's chapter turned out to be a bit too much change in my opinion. It's kinda like Star Wars though, you think it's all done after the 6th one but you got three more telling the past events. Except mine works in reverse. When I start Scorpion's chapter (it will be chapter 2) it will lead where Kuai's left off.. therefore, exploring Cyber Sub Zero's chapter through Hanzo's eyes.

See your story TaBB is truly amazing if you will.

General route for Reptile: Lizard, wants to restore race

You make him into a failing scientist willing to put his life on the line to extend his career. your out-the-box verison of Mortal Kombat is original and unique.

See your story TaBB is truly amazing if you will.

General route for Reptile: Lizard, wants to restore race

You make him into a failing scientist willing to put his life on the line to extend his career. your out-the-box verison of Mortal Kombat is original and unique.

Damn thanks brah :D
Book One was shaky for me, I had a lot going on with quitting smoking. It still reflects in my stories.. as a reminder of how I miss cigarettes and describing what it's like to smoke :laugh: With Dr. Reynolds, or Reptile, I had to go out of my element. A lot of work went into his story, I actually watched documentaries about failed Science experiments and terminology in that field of study. I feel like there were some moments that were a bit too cliche, with the arguments between Shang and Reptile. Nevertheless, Shang's death scene was one of my favorites aside from the ones in Johnny's story. When I wrote Liu's Chapter, I watched a 7 hour long documentary about Vietnam, I try to get in the mind of the revisioned MK character and tell it from their point of view, with a sense of knowledge gained from information obtained on docs or google. Sometimes I think it works, but other times I had wished I could do it better. Johnny and Subzero's chapters were from a relatable point of view (taken from mine and a general sense).