Mortal Kombat is VGA's Best Fighting Game of 2011, NetherRealm Doing Non-MK Project

There is sadly no <b>Best Fighting Game</b> acceptance speech to show you, as Spike felt the award wasn't exciting enough to unveil on the main show. Instead it was just announced it between other awards to make time for more celebrity guests like Charlie Sheen who made it known he was there just because he was paid well to be there.

Really? Wow, I'm glad I didn't watch that crap then.

That's great that MK9 won, though.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/u5asej/video-game-awards-vga-2011-pre-show-part-1

If anybody wants to listen to what Ed Boon actually said, here's the link. he doesn't actually state they're on any kind of hiatus from MK, just that Netherrealm is working on several projects. Also, remember his response on Twitter last night saying that Netherrealm is working on several projects, not JUST MK. hopefully this means that there is some kind of MK game in the works. hopefully an adventure title for next year, and then the big MK10 for 2013 or whenever.

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/u5asej/video-game-awards-vga-2011-pre-show-part-1

If anybody wants to listen to what Ed Boon actually said, here's the link. he doesn't actually state they're on any kind of hiatus from MK, just that Netherrealm is working on several projects. Also, remember his response on Twitter last night saying that Netherrealm is working on several projects, not JUST MK. hopefully this means that there is some kind of MK game in the works. hopefully an adventure title for next year, and then the big MK10 for 2013 or whenever.

Thanks for the link. Updated the original story with the embeded video.

Unless the rights to KI was bought out by WB, I doubt we'll be seeing a Killer Instinct any time soon.
Remember, Microsoft owns the rights to Rare.

While it's true that Rare is owned by MS, the KI IP is in copyright limbo between MS and Nintendo. The copyright notice on KI's attract mode suggests a shared copyright between Rare and Nintendo (plus, Nintendo's logo is in-game). Plus, XBLA has re-released several of Rare's N64-exclusive games such as Perfect Dark. However, such was only the case for games not containing Nintendo-owned characters, which leads me to believe that Nintendo's copyright claim to KI involves the characters.

As for Midway's role, they developed the arcade hardware and cabs, and co-published the Arcade versions with Nintendo; this role was exclusive to the arcade versions, though. Midway had no role in the console versions. Plus, Midway had no copyright claim to KI, so WB pretty much has to negotiate with both Nintendo and MS at this point.

While it's true that Rare is owned by MS, the KI IP is in copyright limbo between MS and Nintendo. The copyright notice on KI's attract mode suggests a shared copyright between Rare and Nintendo (plus, Nintendo's logo is in-game). Plus, XBLA has re-released several of Rare's N64-exclusive games such as Perfect Dark. However, such was only the case for games not containing Nintendo-owned characters, which leads me to believe that Nintendo's copyright claim to KI involves the characters.

As for Midway's role, they developed the arcade hardware and cabs, and co-published the Arcade versions with Nintendo; this role was exclusive to the arcade versions, though. Midway had no role in the console versions. Plus, Midway had no copyright claim to KI, so WB pretty much has to negotiate with both Nintendo and MS at this point.

Either way whether it's MS, Nintendo or BOTH they'd have to get those rights, if they want to make a multi-platform game, which I'm sure WB would want to do.
WB doesn't really do exclusive games, so I'm sure that's the route they'd have to take.

Killer Instinct 3 or a KI reboot will get good reception from the fighting game community. It has been a long time and KI has a unique fighting system and some awesome music. I hope that NRS studio can get the rights some how.

Ed Boon's rep has gotten much better with the fighting game community. I'm happy to see his triumph over Capcom for a change. He has always been loyal to his fans. He has worked hard over the years to give us quality game titles. MK will always be a major player and always relevant in the mainstream media. Long live Mortal Kombat.

I have said this several times around the web, but never on TRMK. I would like to see Ed take a stab at his own mature adult themed version of DarkStalkers with realistic character models. I would like the game to be set around Romulus and Remus.