SSF IV AE 2012 Edition

This is a free update... people are acting as if this is an entirely new package that you must drop 40 bucks on. They're balancing the game more... that's a good thing.

There's no need for an entirely new Street Fighter if they can fix the majority of things through patches. SF4 came out in 2008 and the game has more features and better online play than pretty much every fighter that has come out since.

MK9's gameplay for the most part is fine, but it is severely lacking in features and options compared to SF4. I'd welcome several updates to MK9 whether in the form of UMK9 or otherwise.

SF4 came out in 2008

You may not realize it, but you just re-iterated my point with that phrase alone! Six years have passed between SF2 and SF3! Eleven years have passed between SF3 and SF4! Does those sound like reasonable gaps between sequels to you? I think not! It's approaching 2012...SF4 was released in 2008; the time to start developing SF5 is NOW, not 7 years from now!

You may not realize it, but you just re-iterated my point with that phrase alone! Six years have passed between SF2 and SF3! Eleven years have passed between SF3 and SF4! Does those sound like reasonable gaps between sequels to you? I think not! It's approaching 2012...SF4 was released in 2008; the time to start developing SF5 is NOW, not 7 years from now!

What more do you want from SF, though? I'm not a SF player, but the game seems like it has everything it needs. Making a sequel just for the sake of doing so probably isn't the smartest thing to do. It's easily the biggest tournament fighter, so it's obviously done something right.

Putting out sequels for competitive games, whether it be Street Fighter or Counter Strike is something that should be done only when there is enough to warrant a full fledged sequel. Letting these games stand on their own for years and supporting them with updates is what helps their communities stay strong. I think people are too used to sequels coming out every year or two these days. Is 11 years a long time? I suppose. 6 years? Nah, not too bad, that's a good lifespan for a competitive game.

No need to fix what isn't broken. MK9 on the other hand...

The ONLY reasonable timeframe between sequels is 2-4 years!

With all the cross overs like UMvC3 and street fighter x tekken why make SF5? Your getting new characters and battle systems constantly and by that logic we have been getting new street fighter products fairly regularly since SF4 so I don't see where you have a leg to stand on in the argument.

Gameplay wise, Wraith_the_Furious, you are 100% correct.
Where it's lacking is a good, deep story.
A game could have the most rich deep fighting mechanics to date.. but if it's about a story where zombies are fighting hamsters.. I'm not going to show it any recognition. Where Mortal Kombat will always beat Street Fighter is in the story and plot, MK9 went above the bar.
I will continue to praise SF's gameplay, however, a new chapter about the saga of Ken, Ryu, Blanka, and the gang are what I really need to stay hooked on this series.

This comes to mind

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed Revelations

Well for AC it's okay but for Gaycom, no

The story lines for SF have always been a bit convoluted. I hope they do dedicate a good bit of story to SFxT I wanna see mishima zaibatsu, G corp, and shadaloo in an all out war ending in a 4 way battle between Jin, Kazuya, heihachi, and bison. That game needs to be story oriented

Pffft MK9's story is equally messy, but I guess adding more cut-scenes can fool people to believe otherwise.

Moving back to the topic, Super was a signficant upgrade from "Vanilla". While not everyone will notice or appreciate balance-related tweaks, 10 characters is a welcome addition for most fighting game fans. Typically, fighting games add 2-4 characters with each sequel.

I'm not in a hurry to get AE myself, but I don't get why people are making a big stink about it when it's available as an add-on. The is disc version was released to accommodate people who have not bought SSF4 before or those who simply favors discs to save their hard drive. It's also ridiculous that some of you are listing 3D Edition as a follow-up title. It's essentially just a port of SSF4 for the Nintendo 3DS. In the end, there are only two versions of SF4 that you have pay the price for a full game.

Last edited: