Official NFL Thread

If anyone watched the saints D at all

you'd know that they didn't get any of that money

they stank

I beg to differ. Over the last 3 seasons, the Saints were flagged a combined total of 51 times for unnecessary roughness, roughing the passer, facemasks, personal fouls, and unsportsmanlike conduct; that is the 3rd most during that span. The Lions were first in that category with 65, while the Titans were 4th with 50. What's alarming about those two is the fact that both Gregg Williams and Jim Schwartz (HC of the Lions since 2009) had both served under Jeff Fisher (HC of the Titans from 1995-2010, now HC of the Rams) for most of their careers; which makes it an alarming coincidence that all 3 coaches had teams in the top 4 of 15-yard penalties over the last 3 seasons. Even more alarming is the fact that the Titans lead the league in that category from 2001-2010 under Jeff Fisher. Given the nature of all of this, I would be pretty sure these Saints players were getting paid for these "cart-offs" and "knock-outs" regardless of whether or not the flag was thrown, and it also remains to be seen whether or not we will be seeing much of the same from the Rams going forward.

And although the Saints are likely to be hit hard by this, I have doubts as to whether or not they'll be the only team sanctioned. Since evidence is coming out that implicates Buffalo and Washington, I'm sure the league will investigate the Bills' 2001-2003 seasons as well as the Redskins' 2004-2007 seasons over this. It's also possible that St. Louis could face disciplinary action from the league, since they hired Williams while the investigation was on-going.

If this was 30 years ago, no one would bat an eye lash at this. The game is changing way too much now, and not for the better. The defense can hardly play defense anymore. Its ridiculous. Football is a tough sport, no matter how many new rules and/or penalties you try to throw at the players. Just let them play some damn Football.

I still stand by the Saints. They were my team before this whole thing broke, and they are definitely my team now.

If this was 30 years ago, no one would bat an eye lash at this. The game is changing way too much now, and not for the better. The defense can hardly play defense anymore. Its ridiculous. Football is a tough sport, no matter how many new rules and/or penalties you try to throw at the players. Just let them play some damn Football.

I still stand by the Saints. They were my team before this whole thing broke, and they are definitely my team now.

There's a fine line between playing football and paying players to cause others to be carted off the field...it's called Sportsmanship!

Last edited:
This just in... the Texans have reportedly re-signed Arian Foster to a 5-year deal. Details have not yet been released.

Hell yes.

Upon listening to what former players have had to say about "pay-for-performance" on both ESPN and NFL Network, I've come to the conclusion that while "pay-for-performance" is common, it certainly wasn't to the extent of what went on in New Orleans, or what allegedly went on in Houston/Tennessee, Buffalo, Washington, and Jacksonville, under Gregg Williams. And this probably goes back to the whole "you make a great play, you get a sticker" thing you see in college (especially at Ohio State), High School, or even Pop Warner.

That being said, $200 for a pick and $1,000 for "cart-offs" are apples-to-oranges. It's one thing to encourage making a sack, interception, tackle-for-loss, safety, forced fumble, fumble recovery, 4th down stop, "big hit", etc., but I still stand by the fact that encouraging malicious intent and/or knocking players out of the game is where the line is crossed. And even so, performance-based pay is still banned if it is under-the-table pay not covered by a player's contract.

Also, in most cases, according to former players, the "pay-for-performance pool" was strictly among players. This is a case where not only was a defensive coordinator directly involved, but this is also a case where both the head coach and the general manager knew about it, swore to league officials that they would put a stop to it, and the bounty system still went on. Gregg Williams just met with league officials today (although the Commissioner was not involved), and according to what I'm hearing, the disciplinary action against Williams could range anywhere from a 6-game suspension to a lifetime ban. NFL analysts are using the Paul Hornung/Alex Karras gambling scandal as a baseline for Williams' pending suspension (which turned out to be a full season for Hornung and Karras), but I am aware of 2 cases where the league issued lifetime bans; Merle Hapes and Frank Filchock of the New York Giants for their role in a point-shaving scandal, Art Schichter of the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts for betting on NFL games.

Wow looks like the colts will cut Manning by tomorrow....

He'll most likely end up with Miami or Arizona...

But the best case would be the NY Jets....

But I'm not sure about their cap room

I hope Seyton Manning goes to the Redskins...where free agents become busts (don't believe me? Look no further than Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Brandon Lloyd, Adam Archuleta, and most of all, Fat Albert Haynesworth)!

I hope Seyton Manning goes to the Redskins...where free agents become busts (don't believe me? Look no further than Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Brandon Lloyd, Adam Archuleta, and most of all, Fat Albert Haynesworth)!

Not happening. The Redskins are more likely to trade their whole draft to move up and take Robert Griffin III than they are to take Manning. Griffin's much better for their system.

Damn, the AFC south just got boring lol

You clearly haven't watched the Texans lately. I know I'm biased, being a fan of theirs and all, but I fail to see how their play is less entertaining than the Colts were at least for the last year or so with Manning.

Or by "boring" did you mean that the Texans won't have serious competition for the AFC South title this season? If that, then I concur.

LOL ok so Michael Silver of Yahoo has made a full breakdown of teams he thinks should be interested in Manning and gives reasons why they should, and why Manning should go there. It's a fairly interesting read. However, what team did he decided should be Manning's number one destination? The Texans. That is wrong on so many levels. The Texans better not screw up what they've got going by blowing what little cap room is left on a 36-year-old with health issues.

Here's the article:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-peyton_manning_colts_ranking_new_teams_030612

According to various sources, Manning is unwilling to sign with the Redskins because of the fact that he supposedly doesn't want to be in the same division as Eli. I'll believe it when I see it. Knowing Daniel Snyder (seeing that my team is in his division), I know for a fact that Snyder will basically offer the farm just to lure Manning to Washington. How else do you think this guy has been able to lure free agents to the team in the past?

I like Miami for Peyton. They're a team with some pieces in place that might actually be good with a decent quarterback, and they're desperate to sell tickets.

My money is on Manning going to Miami. But, I'd like to see Manning with the Cardinals.

If Manning is going to play in the NFC East, I hope his helmet has a star on it.

I like Miami for Peyton. They're a team with some pieces in place that might actually be good with a decent quarterback, and they're desperate to sell tickets.

Shit the way the colts played without payton

makes me think if he goes anywhere he'll take em to the superbowl

Shit the way the colts played without payton

makes me think if he goes anywhere he'll take em to the superbowl

I'm not so sure about that... the Colts had better pieces around him when they went to the Super Bowl last than they had last year. Peyton's last healthy year, yes they made the playoffs, but they weren't a Super Bowl contender. Peyton can make a team much better than they are without him, but he's not going to take just ANY team to the Super Bowl.

My money is on Manning going to Miami. But, I'd like to see Manning with the Cardinals.

If Manning is going to play in the NFC East, I hope his helmet has a star on it.

LOL he's not going to the Cowboys or anyone else in the NFC East.

Manning supposedly wants no part in being responsible for Eli missing the playoffs, according to sources (which is why said sources have ruled out the NFC East entirely). And besides, the 3-4 defense is one of Manning's biggest weaknesses, and 2 teams in the NFC East run that defense; Dallas and Washington (let's also not forget that Dallas has beaten the elder Manning each of the last 2 times they faced him).

You can officially rule out the Jets and the Redskins from Manning Watch.

And speaking of the Colts, they weren't done gutting the team just yet. They released RB Joseph Addai, LB Gary Brackett, S Melvin Bullitt, TE Dallas Clark, and QB Curtis Painter. If that's not enough, Reggie Wayne is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent at the start of the new league year, and DE Dwight Freeney is now the subject of trade rumors. I don't think the Colts have had a fire sale of this magnitude since the 1973 ownership trade with the Rams (that was the same off-season the Colts traded Johnny Unitas to San Diego).

Last edited by a moderator:
What you're about to see is a suicide in progress.

He already got his ass handed to him by legendary Patriot Killer Bernard Pollard, and now he's campaigning for the Madden Cover? Looks like someone hasn't told him about the Madden Curse!

Fans, don't EVER vote for players on your own team to be on the Madden Cover for that reason alone!