Let's talk Cosplay.

I've always felt some ambivalence about 'professional' cosplayers who actively market themselves, no matter how good the costume. Many will say, "Freyith's just jealous because she isn't as ____" etc, but I don't know. It bothers me partially as to me, cosplaying is such a whimsical, social amusement. It's not modelling. Like a lot of things, I think once the point is reached where someone takes it too seriously, the point itself is lost.

Don't get me wrong though, I love super-talented cosplayers and greatly admire their abilities. It's just lately I see more and more of these 'professionals' cropping up, and can't help but feel they're tapping into a subculture that already has trouble accepting real people as opposed to animated/digital idols and erecting cults of personality and image.

I am sooooooo going to play some Mario now :)
429744_375739779120647_248900501804576_1286410_620524548_n.jpg

Zombie Steve Jobs, Cyborg Raiden, Raven, and Zack Fair = win. I've seen that Sniper Wolf before though, and asked her where the hell she got her PSG-1 airsoft; airsoft replicas of $10,000 rifles aren't easy to come by.

Ames, most cosplayers make their own costumes, or in the cases in which they don't, they have them commission-made by others. A lot of costumes are a mix between made and acquired items too. Since most conventions have costume contests that are judged on the basis of craftsmanship, you have to have made your costume to participate in those.

In the case of most of the costumes in this thread, I'd say 95% were handmade, either by the person wearing them, or someone they know or paid to make for them.

Last edited:
Depends on what really. You'd be surprised how cheaply some good cosplays can be made. It's not about how much money is spent on a costume, but how well you make it/how much time you put into getting it right. That said, I guarantee you for a lot of the costumes on this thread, especially the best ones, the person might be on their 3rd, 4th or 5th version/edit of their costume, as like many things, you can always find a way to make a costume better.

Depends on what really. You'd be surprised how cheaply some good cosplays can be made. It's not about how much money is spent on a costume, but how well you make it/how much time you put into getting it right. That said, I guarantee you for a lot of the costumes on this thread, especially the best ones, the person might be on their 3rd, 4th or 5th version/edit of their costume, as like many things, you can always find a way to make a costume better.

Art is the same way so I understand. But damn it's an awesome outlet for people's boredom.