Your wishlist for MK10

Sonya pissed me off in MK9

The only people she even seemed to care about throughout the whole damn story were Jax and I guess Raiden

Sonya pissed me off in MK9

The only people she even seemed to care about throughout the whole damn story were Jax and I guess Raiden

Yeah, that's true, but I think she showed that she cared about Cage somewhat too. Also, she was helpful to Sub-Zero in his chapter. She did care, but I could see where you're coming from. I just don't want to risk Sonya becoming too "girly" if that makes sense. She's always been independent and her being Johnny's b**ch along with the whole daddy thing in her ending just didn't sit well with me. Maybe it's just showing why Sonya is so stern, but I don't want her becoming needy.

Ultimately I disliked a lot of MK9's story. I mean I didn't even play it all the way through because I don't like cyber subz or quan chi. That doesn't mean I give up though. I think they can salvage the story, but I still hold on that the old story is always there. It was better to me, except for in the end.

They nailed some parts

Good things:
-Cage's whole personality made people like him way more.
- Liu Kang finally got some personality
- Kabal and Stryker teaming was cool
- Sindel looked beastly powerful, which coincidentally is what they have always meant her to be in my opinion.
- The relationship between Jade and Kitana I felt was nailed.

Those were good things, however I think the bad outweighed the good.
- All the character derailment including Shang, Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Mileena, Raiden, Sonya, etc... there was just so much of this in my opinion.

- The lack of attention to Sonya and Kano's rivalry
- All of the hero death
- The over inclusion of Quan Chi
- The weakness of Goro and Kintaro. These guys are supposed to be beasts, so why can everyone kick their arses so easy?

There's more but I realize most think I sound negative, and I'm not trying to be. I just feel that they aren't trying anymore, and that makes me sad honestly. People actually care about the story of MK compared to other fighters. They should capitalize on that, not treat it like it was treated.

Mind explaining how? Instead of walking away and acting like your point is still valid, please explain and show me.

But before you do, watch this and tell me your idea is good.

Granted this has been patched out, but his pressure remains the same.
Well, if blocking still hurts the blocker that much fine. But if an attack barely does damage or no damage at all, then my idea would be necessary.

Yeah, that's true, but I think she showed that she cared about Cage somewhat too. Also, she was helpful to Sub-Zero in his chapter. She did care, but I could see where you're coming from. I just don't want to risk Sonya becoming too "girly" if that makes sense. She's always been independent and her being Johnny's b**ch along with the whole daddy thing in her ending just didn't sit well with me. Maybe it's just showing why Sonya is so stern, but I don't want her becoming needy.
I think as long as they don't force the whole JC x Sonya thing upon us and keep things subtle, it should be fine

Ultimately I disliked a lot of MK9's story. I mean I didn't even play it all the way through because I don't like cyber subz or quan chi. That doesn't mean I give up though. I think they can salvage the story, but I still hold on that the old story is always there. It was better to me, except for in the end.

They nailed some parts

Good things:
-Cage's whole personality made people like him way more.
- Liu Kang finally got some personality
- Kabal and Stryker teaming was cool
- Sindel looked beastly powerful, which coincidentally is what they have always meant her to be in my opinion.
- The relationship between Jade and Kitana I felt was nailed.
I would add Nightwolf's portrayal to that, too. He was badass, he was almost like a second Raiden (or like Raiden in the original timeline when he decided to give up his immortality to fight alongside the heroes in MK3)

I would also add Kabal's personality to that, as well. Seriously, he was my favorite part of the story other than Nightwolf, I thought he was really entertaining to watch

Those were good things, however I think the bad outweighed the good.
- All the character derailment including Shang, Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Mileena, Raiden, Sonya, etc... there was just so much of this in my opinion.

- The lack of attention to Sonya and Kano's rivalry
- All of the hero death
- The over inclusion of Quan Chi
- The weakness of Goro and Kintaro. These guys are supposed to be beasts, so why can everyone kick their arses so easy?
I think Goro and Kintaro in general are just not the same as they used to be. Kintaro and Goro both used to intimidate me, now they just feel like your typical hired muscles or lunkheads who only know how to fight and destroy shit. Plus, most of the characters were about as tall as the bosses, so that pretty much took away the feeling that you're about to fight a big ass human/dragon hybrid with four arms. Last thing, not only did that Goro's Lair remix NOT ****ing fit the boss battles, IMO (seriously, I just do not like the orchestral shit they had for MK9), MK9's BGM was also quiet and not loud at all, so the "OH SHI-" feeling you get from the loud and blaring BGM in most boss battles wasn't there at all.

Now this, my friends, is what music for a boss battle in MK should be like:

Not the horseshit that they decided to have in MK9 as a "boss theme"

Also, I agree so much on Quan Chi, although I do like him overall. I don't really get NRS' hard on for Quan Chi, but he was the main reason, IMO, why Shang was shit on so much; the former stole all of the latter's thunder. Instead of being the sneaky bastard and sophisticated villain he used to be, he was basically just a yes man to Shao Kahn.

Speaking of Quan Chi, I might get some backlash for this, but I didn't like Chi's voice in MK9. I mean, it just sounded way too normal to me. What happened to that demonic and distorted voice that he had in MK4?

Ignore the awardworthy, emotional dialogue and voice acting, BTW:

Last thing, about the Kano part, I think that's because Sonya and Jax shared their rivalry with Kano instead of it just being Sonya, and also Kano started serving Shao Kahn WAY too quick. And the whole chapter setup where each character only gets one chapter (besides Sub-Zero, of course), I'm assuming they didn't really have time to touch upon that aspect besides a few references to it. Or maybe they just didn't care to do it. Either way, I agree, I myself was looking forward to a Sonya/Kano battle during the MK3 portion

Lastly, as for the heroes' deaths, I still hate the fact that Smoke and Kabal had to get killed. I still don't ****ing understand why NRS thought it was a good idea to bring back a character like Smoke who is underdeveloped and somewhat obscure, only to kill them again. And I would have loved to see how Kabal could have fit into MKX's story, especially since Jarek or the Red Dragon could be coming back

As for Raiden, I still hope that he gets that badass aura he used to have MK1 and MK2. I mean, come on, he's the ****ing God of Thunder. People didn't really fear him in the story at all, IIRC; I would have loved to see some scenes where the enemies actually show a semblance of humility around him and go "OH SHIT, it's the thunder god". Instead of feeling like a powerful and mighty god with millions of years of wisdom at his fingertips, for the most part, he really just felt like a joke to me in MK9

There's more but I realize most think I sound negative, and I'm not trying to be. I just feel that they aren't trying anymore, and that makes me sad honestly. People actually care about the story of MK compared to other fighters. They should capitalize on that, not treat it like it was treated.
IMO, they still care, it just feels like to me, they're going about it in the wrong ways. Like, I think MK9's story overall just feels too cinematic and cleanly presented, if that makes sense. That's fine and all, but what they did in MK9 pretty much killed the sense of atmosphere and despair that the 3D MK games and MK2 had, the rawness and the feeling of danger being all around you. It really felt like Mortal Kombat, not just "Save Earthrealm and kick the bad guys asses".

Also, I don't think people have touched upon this yet, but I will: I think giving each character their own chapter has both its pros and cons. The pros are that every character gets their own spotlight, and every character in the end feels important to the story. The cons, IMO? For one, it's a fixed setup, so it feels like or at least felt like in MK9 that they were just trying to cram as much of the character's story as they could in just that one chapter. So in a sense, it felt like they focused too much on the characters themselves rather than the overall picture, since there were barely any other important factors in the story other than the character themselves and their motives and also the main conflict. This is what I loved about Deception and Deadly Alliance, you had a lot of other factors that contributed to the MK universe as a whole such as the Kamidogu, the Dragon Medallion, etc. besides the main conflict and the characters

Also, aside from Scorpion and Cyrax, we only got to play as the good characters, so the story really felt one-sided. I'd like to have perspective of the story from every side, not just the side of the protagonists

Last edited:
Agree with most of what Metal said.

Hate the fact that Kabal got killed, he just has the worst luck. First he gets barbequed, then he has to wear a freakish costume and then he dies. All in 1 day. Shits funked up.

Also Cyrax was pretty much a good guy in his chapter.

Agree with most of what Metal said.

Hate the fact that Kabal got killed, he just has the worst luck. First he gets barbequed, then he has to wear a freakish costume and then he dies. All in 1 day. Shits funked up.

Also Cyrax was pretty much a good guy in his chapter.

@ Metal Overlord

I was actually going to come back and edit that message to mention Nightwolf's depiction in MK9. He was awesome indeed, and I can't believe I forgot to mention that in my last post.

However, I still don't think that it did a lot for him. He's still not really noticed. He was cool and all, but it didn't make more people play as him. I have only faced one or two Nightwolf's online, and when I do they are beasts. That's about it though. I have always really liked Nightwolf too. He always ends up on the overlooked list though, and MK9 still didn't help that.

As for Kabal and Smoke surviving. No they shouldn't have. I couldn't care less about either of them. If everyone was going to die there then they should have been in on the mix. Honestly I don't know why Sonya and Johnny survived. I see no reason for Kabal nor Smoke to have survived over anyone else though. I am on the opposite side of the camp when we talk about Smoke, because I honestly don't think he got much storywise whereas you guys thought that he did. I admit he got some cool background, but I still say it's background. The best Smoke should get in the future is a split personality. One that is good and one that loves being in the netherrealm. However, he even did that in deception when he fought with Noob's programming over him. Overall I just think that cyber smoke was better. Cyber Smoke is like my number 3 favorite character though. I even like his demon form in MKD. I absolutely loath this human form though. I think it's boring, but even when I say that people say I'm just making up excuses to hate him. I'm not though. I literally think he's boring compared to his cyber and demon iterations from deception. He's just grey ninja to me which is boring, and his powers come across as boring to me too. I feel like Stryker could do the exact same things as Smoke if he had Smoke bombs. That's why I'm just meh to Smoke's whole character at this point. At least the cyber thing gave him some tragedy. To each their own though. I don't need a four on one attack again so please don't jump on me like white on rice again.

As for Kabal, I never cared for him. Mk9 made me think he was a little more bada** no doubt about it. I certainly liked him a little more, but as a character he just doesn't appeal to me. Never really has. The only characters from MK3 that interest me though are cyrax, sektor, cyber smoke, and nightwolf.

You could describe me as a semi-casual, semi-harcore fan though I guess. I always thought that I was a hardcore fan, but a lot of you guys pointed out that I wasn't a fan of Mk if I was just here for Sub-Zero. I guess that means I'm not really a true fan though because to be honest if Sub-Zero ain't in the next game, I'm honestly not playing. I love the stories and a lot of other characters like Jade, Rain, Cyber Smoke, Noob Saibot, and Raiden before MK9. However, Sub-Zero and me just go together. I have mained him in every game, and if he isn't there in MkX I can't play it. I'm not talking about the cyber abomination either. It's shallow as hell, but I need human Kuai Liang. I play with other characters, but if Sub-Zero is absent I just can't seem to get into MK. Sorry if I'm not a true fan because of it.lol.

Last edited:
I want Shujinko back. I don't care how. Bring Shujinko back.:fawkdance::turbonaughtdy_1::tongue:

Another Shujinko fan! Our fan base is greater stronger!

As for him returning, there is actually a very good chance and that too with a logical explanation. Now that most of the Earthrealm heroes are dead, Raiden would obviously like to strengthen the realm's defenses with more able warriors. He would start with ex members of the secret and now no longer existing White Lotus Society, of which Shujinko was a part of (along with Kai). Going by this route would add a lot to the lore, by going into detail about the past activities of the society, how and why it was formed, why it got dissolved etc. as well as adding a lot to Shujinko's and Kai's backstory.

Also following the timeline Shujinko would be at the Netherealm by this time, his knowledge of the activities going on there would be a tremendous help to Raiden.

Shujinko is one of the most well developed and interesting character in MK IMO, he just needs a little fixing up in his moves set/ aesthetic department. It would be a shame to not include him in Mk10.

Bold statement Metal, but I must agree.

Best case scenario is Flyman's post.

Worst is Shujinko being nowhere in sight, most post umk3 characters are gone and somehow Subs n Scorp are the main heroes.

I just hope Vogel stays true to MK's deepest character.

I just hope they can animate hair to look like hair and not a mass of soggy playdough.

Screenshot2010-11-06at22600AM.png

zzzz2.png

I hope we can at least get hair that looks like this:

397px-DOA4_Kokoro_2.jpg

Last edited:
It's going to be a LONG time before we get MK10. I bet NRS wishes that they would've continued story mode and tied up all loose ends.

If I were them, I'd go ahead and write up storymode and pass it off to somebody else, then that company can make a CG animated movie (ala Tekken) that picks up after story mode, so we don't have to wait 3-4 years to find out what happens next with Shinnok's invasion, Raiden's "vision" dilemma and some of our fav. characters being trapped in hell etc. etc.

I think 3 years is a little too long to follow up on a cliffhanger.

Bold statement Metal, but I must agree.

Best case scenario is Flyman's post.

Worst is Shujinko being nowhere in sight, most post umk3 characters are gone and somehow Subs n Scorp are the main heroes.

I just hope Vogel stays true to MK's deepest character.

I just disagree with that. I'm not a fan of Shujinko. Hate on me all you want, but I'm just not. I do like Kai, and think he should be the new main protagonist. However, I can live without ever seeing Shujinko again. He was fun in Deception admittedly. Roaming around the realms with him. However, they could have put Kai in his spot and I would have been just as happy. Kai has the whole handstand thing which already gives him some uniqueness he can work with on his moves.

Shujinko on the other hand doesn't. He's essentially Chameleon, Khameleon and I just don't roll with that. Many other characters are much more deserving of a main protagonist spot. I think Kai, Kenshi, and even Johnny with his seido training could me more interesting than Shujinko. Sorry to offend anyone with that, but Shujinko just isn't on my list to return. I want him in as a cameo, but honestly if Motaro got murdered the way he did in MK9 then the same can happen with a lot of the post MK3 characters and if Shujinko is among them it won't hurt my feelings.

I most definitely won't give up on the story of MK because of it. My favorite character is a cyborg now, something I never thought would happen, and somehow I still hold out hope that they will do some good with story. Shujinko is not be all end all if he doesn't come back.

Also to the point about Subz and Scorps becoming the main heroes in MK10, I really disagree with that. These two have been bringing the popularity, the merchandise, the advertising, the everything for Mortal Kombat for a good portion of the franchise's lifespan, yet they have never been given a main point in the story. Quan chi is a huge enemy to both Scorpion and Sub-Zero. As far as we know now MKX will cover the events of MK4 and have Shinnok AND Quan Chi as the main baddies. So I really don't think it should be out of the realm of possiblity to give them this one opportunity to really shine in the story, and then go back to their resepective side roles once the game is over. Certainly Shujinko shouldn't be the main hero. Hell Scorpion by himself I would be fine with over him since Sub-Zero is ya know dead, and I'm not a fan of Scorpion. I think he deserves that credit more than Shujinko though, and I certainly think it makes more sense.

Also, no offense Jinko, but I don't understand why we would need more background on the white lotus society. As far as we know it's a society built to fight for good. Much like The special forces, The reformed Lin Kuei, the Edenian realm as a whole. It's just that a group. It's just side information. We know that they were from a group that fights for good. That has nothing to do with taking down Shinnok or to the main plot. Information like that should be something like information we find in the Krypt, An ending (like Smoke's), or bring back the more in detail bio's like in Deception. We don't need our already cluttered storymode taking up information about the white lotus society. Again no offense. Just stating my opinion.

@ Outworld's goddess.

Holy crap do I agree with you completely.

I pictured Kitana looking much like Kokoro from DoA4, so I find it amazing that you brought up her picture of everyone you could find.

@ Pathfinder

I agree pathfinder. They are obviously going to keep us waiting a VERY long time for the next game, and I don't think it's quite fair for them to do this. Leaving a cliffhanger like that was just cruel so for them to have done it this way kind of upsets me. I would be absolutely fine with the idea that you have posted though. i would watch a CG animated movie to get the follow up to the story. However, I think that Shinnok's invasion opens up a lot of story potential as well so I don't want to see that potential flushed on a movie either. So I'm really torn on that right now. It sucks to have to wait, but at the same time I'm holding out hope that it will pay off. Let's hope that they don't bring the heroes back only to kill them again though. If there's one thing I'm tired of in MK it's the character death. It's not shocking anymore, it's predictable. Do something else to keep our attention NRS.

Fleshing out the backstory of the White Lotus Society isn't "cluttering the story" so much as expanding on existing aspects and breathing even more life into the MK universe. We don't need the WLS to be expanded on for the main story itself to function properly, but really, who gives a shit about that? Little things like that help paint a bigger overall picture for the story and universe of MK. No coin should be left unturned this time. If there's an underdeveloped aspect from the original timeline or this timeline present, expand on it. No point in introducing something if you're not going to do anything with it

It's going to be a LONG time before we get MK10. I bet NRS wishes that they would've continued story mode and tied up all loose ends.

If I were them, I'd go ahead and write up storymode and pass it off to somebody else, then that company can make a CG animated movie (ala Tekken) that picks up after story mode, so we don't have to wait 3-4 years to find out what happens next with Shinnok's invasion, Raiden's "vision" dilemma and some of our fav. characters being trapped in hell etc. etc.

I think 3 years is a little too long to follow up on a cliffhanger.

I'm sorry but this is a terrible Idea. people need to be patient and no 3-4 years is the prefect amount of time to follow it up. I hate the microwave gaming mind set most gamers have nowadays.

Fleshing out the backstory of the White Lotus Society isn't "cluttering the story" so much as expanding on existing aspects and breathing even more life into the MK universe. We don't need the WLS to be expanded on for the main story itself to function properly, but really, who gives a shit about that? Little things like that help paint a bigger overall picture for the story and universe of MK. No coin should be left unturned this time. If there's an underdeveloped aspect from the original timeline or this timeline present, expand on it. No point in introducing something if you're not going to do anything with it

But my god where do you draw the line at something being merely a sidenote?

We still don't have true identities for Chaosrealm and Seido. We don't know much about the Lin Kuei, the Wu Shi academy, or the special forces so much in depth either. Why in the world do we need to know that much about the white lotus society of all groups? They use a lot of this stuff to give identity and backgrounds to characters.

We know the white lotus society is a group of people fighting for good. So we know that Kung Lao is loyal to something (the white lotus society), and we also know that he is a good man because he is with the white lotus society, and we know he must be a good fighter since they focus on fighting. We don't need to know much else because that's character enhancement stuff.

Going back to this argument again though. Take Smoke his ending gave him some great background. It let us know why he was how he was, and what led him to his creation. However, it does nothing for his current story. He already has Smoke powers those can't be enhanced by this revelation though. He will still have Smoke powers.

It came in his ending though. Which made it great. It needs to be something personal to the player like a bio, or an ending. That lets us see some insight into individual characters.

However, paying so much attention to armies, and the societies and all of that stuff just takes away from the actual excitement and interaction between the characters. I think another thing I differ from you guys on is that you guys pay so much attention to little details of the story and the world of Mortal Kombat, whereas I think the characters make the story and your story is only as good as it's characters. It's enough to know that Kung Lao or Kai were in the white lotus society. Maybe say in passing that Raiden holds them highly or something and that lets us know how important they are. Dwelling into the white lotus society and what they are about though just takes us away from the story and puts us into something else. We don't need that. This isn't MK:White Lotus Society, This is Mortal Kombat. That's why I disagree with Jinko when he says that we can learn more about the white lotus society and how and why they were formed, and why they dissolved etc... You could simply have a drawing of the temple in the white lotus society in the krypt and have a bio to go with it. That's enough. We don't need to waste story time on trying to find out something about a group that little to nobody knows or cares about anyway. Casual fans will just get confused, and the story gets confusing enough at times. It's a group. Kung Lao has been fine all of these years and we know just as little about the white lotus society as we ever have.

Shujinko on the other hand doesn't. He's essentially Chameleon, Khameleon

Your opinion, I know its your opinion, but your opinion is such ass to me.

Cannot stand when people compare Shujinko to Chameleon. They are not the same whatsoever. Chameleon learned his powers by watching the ninjas (at least thats what his MKT bio, ending whatever says). Shujinko learned his powers through rigorous training. Shujinko is the ultimate apprentice. To start out with nothing but your fists and to end with the techniques of the most powerful warriors known is amazing. The fact that Shujinko loses over half of his life, dedicating himself to a false cause makes him a Tragic Hero worthy of his own novel (seriously, it makes for a great story). You need to look past the surface to see his potential.

We don't need Scorp & Sub on the front lines of the story because they are already every-goddam-where. Scorp and Sub are mostly for the casuals, its the main reason why we see them. They have no huge significance to the story, but Bobby Jr. would go apeshit if the Yellow Sub-Zero wasn't playable so he could spam spears online.

I'm sorry but this is a terrible Idea. people need to be patient and no 3-4 years is the prefect amount of time to follow it up. I hate the microwave gaming mind set most gamers have nowadays.

You're 20 years old and using the word nowadays? Come on now you haven't been around long enough to be saying that, and neither am I.

It's completely fine for him to be upset at the story being so far away. 4 years is way too long for the cliffhanger they left us with. We all expected 2 to 3 years for the next one and now that is down the drain. It's okay to be upset about it and his idea is not a terrible idea. That's just your opinion.

Lol, I never said to make the White Lotus Society a major part of the story. I said to simply expand on it, which, as you've just said, can be done in ways other than referencing them in the story mode.

Regardless of how it's done, though, I think that it still needs to be done