Mortal Kombat Redemption Story Idea

Animality

I have this awesome (in my opinion) idea for a story. Maybe some day I'll turn it into an actual story. For now, here is the rough outline. Anyone who likes it and would like to write it or about it, please feel free to do so. For safety reasons, I'll explain that Mortal Kombat and its affiliated characters, settings, etc. do not belong to me. My OCs (Ursus, Aura, Morsin) do belong to me.

Mortal Kombat Redemption
Prologue:

Shao Kahn is the last survivor of the Battle of Armageddon and the new ruler of Earthrealm. Days pass as the evil emperor brings in his forces from Outworld and the rest of his power into his new domain. Eventually, Kahn learns of a powerful talisman deep in the heart of Earthrealm that will grant him even more power. On his way to seek the talisman, he runs into Quan Chi, who created a duplicate of himself (like Shinnok did) to fight at Armageddon. Quan Chi warns Shao Kahn not to go after the item, for Shinnok had told him of its deadly nature. The emperor refuses to listen and kills Quan Chi before proceeding to the sacred pyramid where the item is kept. There, he finally discovers the talisman, an ornate box kept shut by several seals. Kahn easily breaks the seals and the box opens...

Some time has passed. Kahn finds himself surrounded by an ever-growing nothingness that threatens to consume the entire world. Realizing that he has no other option, he pulls out his Wrath Hammer and whispers to the souls trapped inside, giving them the message 'I must lose.' With all the power he has, Kahn releases the souls from the hammer, opens up a mystical portal, and sends them through. The end comes and Kahn is erased from existence, along with everything else.

So what do you all think so far? Pleas R&R. Your thoughts and criticism is very important to me. MK1 preliminaries up soon.

Time to kick things off. Here's the beginning of Mortal Kombat Redemption, the MK1 arc.

First Tournament Preliminaries:

Shang Tsung, the evil sorcerer and right-hand man of Shao Kahn, has gathered all of the greatest fighters to participate in the first tournament of Mortal Kombat in 500 years. Some are there for glory, some for fame, some for honor, and some for different reasons altogether. This tournament will decide the ultimate fate of Earthrealm, whether it will maintain its freedom or be absorbed into Shao Kahn's empire. Attending the opening ceremony is Raiden, the Thunder God and protector of Earthrealm. With him is Liu Kang, a Shaolin warrior of the White Lotus Society, hand-picked to participate. For some reason, Raiden cannot help but feel that he has been here in the same situation before, but quickly brushes the feeling aside. What he does notice is that tournament host Shang Tsung appears to be very ill for some reason. In fact, he immediately sits back down onto his throne after a short welcoming speech. Sitting on a throne next to Shang Tsung is Aura, a messenger of the Elder Gods and judge for the tournament. She explains that the Elder Gods have sent her to assure that the rules of Mortal Kombat are followed exactly. She then lays down some new rules.
1. The tournament will be fought bracket style.
2. Kombatants still in the tournament will not be allowed to fight outside their rounds unless it is to train.
3. A round is won when a kombatant is down for ten seconds, surrenders, is rendered unconscious, or killed (much to her displeasure).
4. The final kombatant will go on to fight Goro, then Shang Tsung himself. If either match is lost or if all Earthrealm defenders are defeated beforehand, Outworld wins.
With that said, Shang Tsung announces the start of the preliminaries. Out of the hundreds of fighters attending, only eight will be selected to partake in the tournament. When all the battles are finished, the final eight emerge.
1. Johnny Cage- World renowned actor and stunt artist. He merely attends to prove that his stunts and knowledge of martial arts are not false.
2. Kano- Mercenary and leader of the Black Dragon crime organization. He and Shang Tsung appear to be doing business together.
3. Sub-Zero- Prominent assassin of the Lin Kuei ninja clan and master over the element of ice.
4. Sonya Blade- Soldier in the US Special Forces. She is here to locate and free her missing partner and get her vengeance against Kano for killing her fellow comrades.
5. Raiden
6. Liu Kang
7. Scorpion- Spectre of the Netherrealm and servant to the sorceror Quan Chi. Once a member of the Shirai Ryu clan, he seeks retribution on the one who murdered him and his people.
8. Ursus- Very little is known about this mysterious fighter, except that he is very innocent in nature. His orange ninja suit appears to be of Lin Kuei make.
Aura announces that the tournament shall resume the next day. All who did not pass the preliminaries are welcome to stay as spectators. Raiden and Liu Kang set out to ally themselves with the other kombatants. Both try desperately to convince Johnny of the seriousness of the tournament and that the fate of Earthrealm depends on a defender victory, but the egotistical actor does not believe them. Liu Kang notices Scorpion, who appears to be assaulting Ursus. The spectre accuses Ursus of being a thief and a murderer, but Ursus explains that he is really a forest denizen. He stole his orange ninja suit from a Lin Kuei who entered his forest and who he defeated. Scorpion backs off, but says he will keep his eye on Ursus. Liu introduces himself to Ursus and the two quickly befriend each other, even though Liu is somewhat annoyed by Ursus' almost child-like attitude. Night falls and the kombatants rest for the night, except for Raiden (who does not require sleep), Sonya (who begins her search of the temple for Jax) and Johnny (he follows her). With the rise of the sun comes a new chapter in Mortal Kombat.

Once again, pleas R&R. I'd like to have some thoughts in between my posts. Next up, eight will soon become four.

Quarterfinals

The first day of fights has arrived. Shang Tsung, still sick for some reason, leaves the arrangements to Aura. She places eight slips of paper, each with a number from 1-8, into a box. She then has the kombatants reach into the box and pull out a single sheet to determine who will be fighting who. Johnny Cage draws 1, Sonya 4, Raiden 5, Liu Kang 7, Kano 2, Sub-Zero 3, Scorpion 6, and Ursus 8. With that, the matches are...
Cage v Kano, Sub-Zero v Sonya, Raiden v Scorpion, and Liu Kang v Ursus. Aura announces the fights shall start in half an hour. Raiden is wondering about Shang Tsung's condition and why he allows Aura to manage seemingly everything. He decides to ask about it later. Ursus, meanwhile, can't keep his eyes off of Aura. Poor Sonya is upset, having no luck in finding Jax and not being able to fight Kano because of the tournament rules. Shang Tsung has added that any kombatant breaking the rules can be punished by death. After much insisting on his part, Johnny was allowed to assist Sonya in her search the previous night. The US lieutenant revealed to him her true identity and her reasons for hunting Kano. Even though she sees Johnny as nothing but a self-centered egotist (which he kinda is), she does find herself slowly warming up to him. Before the first match, Johnny promises Sonya that he will kick Kano's ass for all the grief he has caused her. A half hour ends...

Cage v Kano
The fight starts off in favor of Johnny. It becomes clear that he is a genuine martial artist. Much to everyone's surprise, he is even capable of forming plasma fireballs. He makes the mistake of underestimating Kano, though, thinking him to be a mere pushover. The Black Dragon leader counters with several Kannonball attacks, catching Johnny completely off guard. He then whips out his knives and begins slicing withe and even throwing them. Johnny accuses him of cheating, but Shang Tsung states that any weapons are allowed as long as they have been brought into the court before the fight. Things start to look desperate for the actor after several close fatal encounters with Kano and his blades, until he remembers his promise to Sonya. Quickly gaining the upper hand, he goes ballistic on Kano and performs his famous Green Shadow Kick before the crow, then finishes Kano off with a Ball Buster. Needless to say, Johhn Cage wins!

Sorry, but it's getting late. More up soon. Please R&R.

Two things. First, your story is moving very fast. By fast, I mean mach 7 fast. Slow it down a bit and go into some detail. Use some description and immerse the reader in the story. Right now it feels like I'm reading the draft for a plot arch rather than a story.

This brings me to my second point, which is: dialogue. Seriously, you need to have some conversations. There is nothing more disorienting in a story than reading the description of a conversation. The reader wants to hear the characters talk, not just hear about how they talked. Instead of writing this: "The spectre accuses Ursus of being a thief and a murderer, but Ursus explains that he is really a forest denizen. He stole his orange ninja suit from a Lin Kuei who entered his forest and who he defeated. Scorpion backs off, but says he will keep his eye on Ursus," you could write this:

The netherrealm spectre stormed towards the orange clad warrior, anger evident in his eyes. "Lin Kuei murderer," he growled. "You will die at this tournament, even if I must see to it myself."

Strangely amused by the spectres blinding anger, Ursus just looked amused. "I have no love of the Lin Kuei, oh fierce spectre. The previous owner of this suit can vouch for that," he looked up suddenly, as if lost in thought. "Or not, it's hard to vouch for something like that with a ten foot pole through your gut."

"You kill your own clan now coward?"

Unable to resist himself, Ursus let out a loud bark of laughter, annoying the hellish specter even more. "I am no Lin Kuei. I just happened to run low on clothing items in the forest. Their goals are not mine."

The netherrealm wraith was silent for a moment, examining Ursus' explanation. After a few brief seconds, he responded. "You do not sound like you are from that clan. But if I find out you're lying..." Scorpion didn't finish the sentence, instead turning around and storming off, leaving the threat to hang in the breeze.

As you can see from that, well written and interesting dialogue greatly increases story length, and makes a scene far more interesting. And I just realized that I probably didn't need to write that much, but oh well, it was fun.

Keep up the good work, you'll get there eventually.

I agree entirely with what Toxic had to say. He pretty much nailed it on the spot. I too advice that you take your time with it, even if it takes too long to re read what you written and make neccessary changes while adding detail. I can understand your enthusiasm in trying to extrapolate your ideas in the fastest way possible so that you can get opinions on your ideas cause it is probably your first time writing. But while doing so we tend to disregard the quality of our writing. Believe me mate, anyone can come up with amazing ideas, but it is how you present it, that seperates you from others and make you unique.:)

With that said, you really have a good writing style and your command over grammer is good too. Just keep writing more taking the critisms into consideration and you will be pro in no time. :)

As for the story, I am really intrigued, I really can't wait to see how the events unfold especially since it is Shao Kahn trying to alter the future this time around :). Keep up the good work mate! Your doing awesome.

To all: I'm sorry if it seems like I'm just doing a lot of trolling, but please re-read the first post to understand.
To Toxic: Why don't I do dialogue? I may now that you mention it, but please keep in mind that the example you gave in your post is probably ten times better than anything I could come up with.

Sub-Zero v Sonya
At the start of the fight, Sonya decides to hold back considering she has no real interest in winning and would much rather spend her time searching for Jax. However, it becomes clear that Sub-Zero is out for blood. He delivers a massive smackdown on the U.S. lieutenant, angering her more with each hit that connects. Deciding to get serious, she unveils her true powers. Like Johnny, she can manipulate energy and launch it in the form of Energy Rings. Sub-Zero is caught off guard, but retaliates with his power over ice. The Lin Kuei starts off with Ground Ice, which disorients Sonya and forces her to slip and fall, leaving her open to more of his deadly combos. Finally, he freezes her in place. As he slowly advances upon her, ready for the killing blow, Sonya has to think fast. Channeling as much energy into her hands as she can, she breaks free of the ice in a violet explosion. While Sub-Zero is surprised, she blows him a kiss (complete with chemical spray) into his eyes and blinds him. Though still being armed and dangerous, he is easily defeated by the determined young woman. Sonya Blade wins!

Raiden v Scorpion
This is by far the most explosive and most heated battle of the tournament so far. The audience is left speechless at the chaotic display of the two non-humans. Raiden combats with his godly power of Electricity and teleports to catch Scorpion off guard, yet the spectre manages to hold his own and return with flaming punches and kicks. Neither kombatant seems to hold the advantage until Raiden emits his trademark battle cry and tackles Scorpion to the ground in a Torpedo attack. While the Shirai Ryu gets up again, Raiden says that he knows of Scorpion's service to the sorceror Quan Chi and his vendetta against Sub-Zero, then tries to convince him that he is merely being used in the plot to enslave Earthrealm. He offers Scorpion the chance to fight with him and be free from his pain and suffering, even promising to ask the Elder Gods to revive the rest of the Shirai Ryu. Before Scorpion can accept, he remembers said suffering at the hands of Sub-Zero, who ruthlessly murdered not only his clan, but his wife and son. The ninja gives into his rage and turns the tables on Raiden. He grapples the god with a Spear attack, much to Liu Kang's horror, then reels him in for a finishing blow. Raiden is saddened by Scorpion's decision to live in hatred, but realizes that there is nothing more he can do to convince him and surrenders. Scorpion wins!

Liu Kang v Ursus
Liu is distracted by Raiden's injury and fears for his mentor. Ursus catches on to this and assures the monk that since he'll recover quickly, being a god and all. Realizing that he is right, Liu prepares himself for battle. When the fight starts, Liu goes on the offensive with a series of Flying and Bicycle kicks, all of which are blocked and parried by Ursus. The forest ninja ****s his head and asks Liu why he sounds like a turkey when he fights, infuriating Liu and giving him the anger to knock him down. He demands that Ursus starts taking the fight seriously, especially since the fate of the world is at steak. It is now Ursus' turn to be angry.
'How do you know I'm not being serious. How do you know I wasn't simply getting a feel for your fighting style? I am just trying to make things interesting, but since you're so impatient...'
Urus whips out a pair of ninja claws and reverses roles with the monk, him now being on the offensive. As the two battle, though, Liu proves to still be the better fighter. He demands Ursus surrender, but the sly ninja has one last trick up his sleeves. Before everyone's eyes, Urus transforms into a ferocious grizzly bear twice as beig as a normal one. He then uses Liu's brief moment of shock to nail him with a megaton claw, sending the monk flying clear across the arena. Liu plans to use the bear's size and loss of speed against it, but it becomes clear that both Ursus' strengh and speed have increased. Instead, Liu begins pelting the beast with Dragon Fire. The flames don't burn the skin of the bear, but the heat beings wearing it down enough for Liu Kang do deliver a Butterfly Flip and end it. Liu Kang wins!

The quarterfinals have ended and all the kombatants (with the exception of Scorpion and Sub-Zero) are busy congratulating each other. Raiden, as Ursus predicted, has already recovered and announces his pride in Liu Kang's victory. Liu Kang apologizes to Ursus before inquiring about his shapeshifting technique. Ursus explains that he is half bear spirit, with his mother a full bear spirit and his father a ninja. It is no technique, but merely his heritage that allows him to transform. He then asks Liu what his transformation is, to which the monk replies he has none. Ursus is aghast to learn from Raiden that the art of the animagus (the ability to transform into an animal) has been forgotten by all but a select few mortals, so decides to teach it to all who are willing. Liu and Cage agree, but Sonya merely wants to resume her search. Ursus looks into her soul (and the animal within) and states that her animagus will make the search easier for her. Cyrax, a Lin Kuei who lost to Ursus in the preliminaries, is also interested and decides to join. It takes one full night to awaken one's animagus, so Ursus has them start right away.

I actually borrowed the tureky line from ProudNintendoFan's fanfic adaptation of MKI. Please R&R. Semifinals up next. Thank you.

Some quick dialogue before the semi-finals. Please R&R and thank you.

The next morning, Raiden feels well enough to begin questioning Aura, as he believes that there are secrets held within the tournament.

Aura: You would be right, mighty elder. There are indeed secrets here, some of which even I do not know.
Raiden: Then tell me those you do know, messenger. First of all, why are you here?
Aura: ...
Raiden: Well?
Aura: I am following an evil presence.
Raiden: Evil presence?
Aura: Yes. One which has now possessed Shang Tsung.
Raiden: Is that the reason for his illness?
Aura: Indeed. As we speak, Shang Tsung is fighting an inner battle, one which he is losing. The presence is spreading and slowly gaining control of him.
Raiden: It must be very powerful indeed to overcome a sorcerer as powerful as he is. What do you know of this entity?
Aura: ...
Raiden: Speak, messenger.
Aura: ...On the day before the tournament was announced, this very evil possessed Shinnok.
Raiden: It did what? How is that possible? Nothing is strong enough to...
Aura: Yet it was. Whatever it is, it was strong enough to possess a god. And that is not all...
Raiden: What are you saying? There's more?
Aura: ...Because of this presence, Shinnok's strength grew immensely. His dark powers escalated until he became more powerful than anything the Elder Gods or I have ever seen.
Raiden: Impossible.
Aura: He attacked us, Raiden. The Elder Gods... They're all dead!
Raiden: What is this?!
Aura: Call me a liar, but you must know it is true. Haven't you felt it? All the voices of the earth are gone. Just try calling them now. You will get no reply. They won't answer. They cannot.
Raiden: ...Nothing. It is as you say. But how? I...
Aura: That is why I am here, Raiden. As a servant to the Elder Gods, it is my duty to avenge them. Whatever this evil is, it must be stopped. But I cant' confront it now, not until I have learned more.
Raiden: ...What of Shinnok?
Aura: The power and influence of the evil proved too great even for him. He was destroyed in an explosion of dark energy.
Raiden: And now the same fight might befall Shang Tsung, but not before enforcing even more destruction.
Aura: (Sniff) I'm sorry, master! Please forgive me! I wanted to prove that I could make things right! (Sniff)
Raiden: But that still does not explain why you were allowed to judge. There is no reason Shang Tsung.
Aura: There is, as a matter of fact. Shang Tsung allows me to enforce the tournament rules,... because Shao Kahn ordered him to.
Raiden: Did he, now?
Aura: It would seem that he too seeks answers to the identity of this dark force. He must perceive it as a threat to his attempted rise to the rule of Earthrealm.
Raiden: Perhaps. Listen to me, Aura. I want you to focus on the tournament. We must maintain a low profile or we risk alerting the evil to our plans, if we haven't done so already.
Aura: As you command, mighty Elder of Thunder.
Raiden: (Why, brother? Why were you so willing to go along with this competition. Do you truly wish to know more of this new threat,... or do you already know something?)

Meanwhile, in Outworld, Shao Kahn sits on his throne. He is deep in thought as several green souls float around his head. Through them he hears his own voice.

Voice: I must lose.
Shao Kahn: Why must I lose? For what possible reason should I give up my victory? 500 years I have waited for this day. Not until I know why! Aagh!

He bends over in pain as a tiny aura of darkness surrounds him. He too is infected.

Good update. But Shinnok suddenly escaping the netherealm (which he could not do for millions of years),killing of all the Elder Gods without Raiden not knowing about it does not really sound right.

Last edited:
The kombatants are all looking to the skies. A large and beautiful hawk with golden plumes soars above the island. Many are in awe of it, but Kano becomes suspicious, especially when he notices it flying towards the dungeons. He decides to follow. Meanwhile, the hawk flies over the torch-lit brige and into the mountain where the dungeons are, then transforms into Sonya Blade. She inwardly thanks Ursus for the training he gave her and making her search for Jax much easier. Jax is found in one of the cells, greatly wounded. Sonya rushes to his rescue, but Kano shows up before she can set him free and challenges her to a fight to the death. Aura then materializes and reminds the fighters of the tournament rules, specifically that fighting outside is forbidden among kombatants. Kano argues that he is no longer in the tournament and can fight all he likes. The heavenly messenger says that this is true, but Sonya is not and cannot fight him. Sonya claims she only wants to get Jax off the island, and Aura decides to grant her wish. After healing him, she teleports him off the island. Kano become furious but realizes he can't do anything, so storms off and announces that he ins't done with Sonya yet. Aura asks Sonya if she would like to leave the island as well. After some consideration, the lieutenant refuses and says that she knows there to be much at steak for Earthrealm and must remain as a defender, although Aura suspects there to be other reasons for her choosing to stay (Johnny Cage). With that said, Aura teleports herself and Sonya back to the arena, where the semi-finals are bout to begin. Kano reports to Shang Tsung, who reassures him that Sonya and every other Earthrealm defender will be made to pay. His black aura expands as the evil in him grows more powerful.

Cage v Sonya
At the start, it is obvious that Johnny is nervous. The offense clearly belongs to Sonya, who comes to the realization that he is holding back. She grows insulted and accuses Johnny of not fighting her because she's a woman, making him angry. He answers that he knows that she is a woman who is fully capable of kicking his ass, but the reason he will not fight is because he does not wish to possibly harm the woman he might have feelings for. Sonya is astonished and amazed at how much Johnny seems to have matured in so little time, but still demands that he fight her at his full potential since there is more at risk than a relationship between them. Johnny still refuses, so the she promises not to be upset with him should he hurt her. Finally, the actor musters up enough strenght to make things serious and the two go all out. Still, Johnny proves to be the more skilled of the two and emerges victorious. Nobody knows that he was still holding back some. Johnny Cage wins!

Liu Kang v Scorpion
Fury rules this fight. Both kombatants are deeply driven to win. Liu Kang is still enraged with the yellow ninja for harming his mentor and best friend. Scorpion desires to end things quickly so that he can hunt down and kill Sub-Zero. Liu Kang starts off with a relentless barrage of punch and kick combos, all of which are blocked or evaded by Scorpion, even his classic Flying and Bicycle Kicks. Seeing that close combat is doing no good, Liu sets a distance and starts firing Large Fireballs, but these are negated by Scorpion's own. In a last ditch attempt to hit the ninja, Liu performs another Flying Kick, but Scorpion grabs his leg and counters with a back-breaking Air Throw. While he is down, Liu suggests to Scorpion that he lose. That way, he would be free to fight Sub-Zero. However, the Shirai Ryu laughs and says that he will not willingly give up a battle, especially to one who is clearly weaker than he is. With as much wrath as he can muster, Liu emits an ear-splitting roar and begins to transform. His skin becomes hard and black, while his body grows and elongates. Through Ursus' one night training, Liu Kang has successfully awakend his animagus, the dragon. Before Scorpion can do anything else but look on in utter shock, he is grabbed by the jaws of the black beast and shaken violently. He is then thrown to the floor, which craters from his impact. As Scorpion gets up, he notices that one of the dragon's claws has tightened into an enormous fist. With a single megaton punch, Scorpion is sent almost fifty feet into the air and out of the arena. When the ninja hits the ground, he explodes into flame and vanishes. Everyone, even Aura and Shang Tsung, are flaggerghasted at the sight before them. Liu Kang wins!

As Liu Kang reverts to his normal form, the kombatants rush in to congratulate both him and Johnny. Raiden is especially impressed, not to mention proud of his student's progress. By this time, Cyrax has joined the defenders after Shang Tsung ordered his guards to kill him for having lost in the preliminaries. He asks Johnny what his animagus is. Liu is a dragon, Sonya is a hawk, and everyone knows what Cyrax is, but nobody has seen what Johnny becomes. He becomes embarassed and says that he'd rather not reveal it, despite the pressure from the others. Raiden looks into Johnny's soul and laughs at what he sees, but assures Johnny that there is more to that form than he realizes. Ursus shows up and, after congratulating Liu, announces that he has asked Aura on an omiai. Everyone is shocked to discover that she has accepted. Meanwhile, Scorpion is free of tournament rules and can now confront his blue-clad enemy (and we all know how that ends). Johnny Cage and Liu Kang will go on to fight in the finals.

How am I doing? Please R&R and thanks.

I like your interpretation of animalities but Im not completely satisfied with Sonya transforming into a hawk or Liu Kang pleading Scorpion to let him win. I personally think Liu Kang is the stronger fighter even without his animality.

Eitherways I like the route you are taking. As a Mk spinoff, I like it but as a storyline for an Mk game, i dont think i would be completely satisfied with it.

Anyways its your story and Im really intrigued on how the story unfolds. Keep up the good work. :)

To Flying Jinko: What's wrong with Sonya being a hawk? That's always been her Animality (and actually one of the better ones). Some of the ones that were limited to Trilogy were just plain stupid.

Johnny awakens in the night to the sound of fighting in the gardens. He quickly rouses Sonya, Liu, and Cyrax. The three storm the gardens... to find Ursus sparring with Aura (who, as it turns out, knows a thing or two about combat). After everything settles down, Liu explains to Ursus that it is very unwise to fight the woman he plans to take on an omiai, to which Ursus replies "This is the omiai." Both were enjoying a leisurely stroll and conversation but decided to test each other's strength. Once Sonya has pulled Aura aside, the messenger says to her that she enjoys Ursus' straightforwardness and ability to make her happy in such 'troubling times' (the death of the Elder Gods). She then insists that the other kombatants go back to bed, especially Liu and Johnny. When they and Ursus have finally left, Raiden appears and inquires as to the state of the evil power. Aura explains that its influence is growing, having started to infect other fighters besides Shang Tsung, yet it still refuses to come forward. Both wish to combat the evil, but to do so would be to combat Shang Tsung, break the rules of Mortal Kombat, and allow victory to Shao Kahn. All they can do is pray that either Liu or Johnny will be strong enough to face it should they even get to fight it.

Dawn arrives. Everyone is eager to see the finals. Which Earthrealm defender will triumph and earn the chance to compete against Outworld's champion, Goro. At her throne next to Shang Tsung, Aura announces that the championship battle will take place after the final, with her rejuvinating Earthrealm's champion in-between. Liu and Johnny step up into the arena. The two hold great respect for each other, but only the better of the two deserves to win. Neither will be holding back this time. Fight!

Cage v Liu Kang
As soon as it starts, it is everything the onlookers had hoped it would be. One actor, one shaolin, both master of martial arts. But Liu, being longer and better trained, slowly gains the advantage. When not pummeling Johnny with deadly combos, he's keeping the struggling stuntman on his toes with Dragon Fire. The shaolin then starts funneling fiery energy into his fists. Johnny sees an opening and decides to take it, but when his punch connects, Liu vanishes into flame before reappearing and delivering a hard punch to his back in a Parry. Becoming intimidated, Johnny brings his fury into play. His normally green energy attacks become red with his anger, and the tables soon turn on Liu. The monk falls victim to a body-blowing Flipkick/Red Shadow Uppercut. The fighting goes on until both kombatants are at the point of exhaustion and decide to end things off in a 'slash.' Cage streaks out with a Red Shadow Kick, while Liu Kang performs his traditional Flying Kick, and the two both land on opposite sides. Several seconds pass before Johnny collapses and does not get back up. Liu Kang wins!

It's getting late. Championship fight up soon. Please R&R and thanks.

To Flying Jinko: What's wrong with Sonya being a hawk? That's always been her Animality (and actually one of the better ones). Some of the ones that were limited to Trilogy were just plain stupid.

Yes animalities were part of the games but they were not incorporated into the lore. Maybe thats why I am skeptical about it, Sonya Blade, a very human like character turning into a hawk doesn't sound really appealing to me. Perhaps if you would have given a more detailed background on animalities, I would have been satisfied.

Anyways Good job so far. :)

Since Liu Kang's victory, Shang Tsung seems to have regained his strength, not to mention a greater air of evil. He stands up off his throne and announces Liu Kang as Earthrealm's champion. Since all of the Outworld kombatants were eliminated, the realm cannot lay claim to Earthrealm just yet. However, it won't be completely safe until Liu defeats both Goro and Shang Tsung himself. Aura rejuvinates the shaolin monk and allows him a fifteen minute rest before the championship fight begins, while Raiden warns him of Goro's immense power. Fifteen minutes are soon up and Shang Tsung opens up a portal leading to the lower level. Liu Kang jumps in, ready to end things once and for all. Meanwhile, Ursus asks Aura what she plans on doing now that her masters are dead. She is shocked that the half-bear spirit knows of the Elder Gods being dead, to which he explains that spirits have a great connection to the earth and can sense when something of such great magnitude occurs. Aura knows she must uncover and defeat the evil now inside Shang Tsung as a final service to her fallen masters. Ursus invites her to live with him once she has completed her task, making her overjoyed. The two share a kiss (Ursus is no longer wearing his mouth mask).

Liu Kang v Goro
The monk finds himself in an underground dungeon of sorts. Bones of apparent past victims litter the wet ground. A throne sits at the end, but no one is on it. Out of the darkness steps Goro, champion of Outworld, and Liu cannot help but be a little daunted. To further intimidate him, Goro picks up a random human skull and crushes it in his hand like a grape. The fight starts with Goro making several lucid Taunts at Liu before moving in for offense. Thankfully, his kicks and punches are slow enough for Liu to dodge, but the poor monk soon learns that what he lacks in speed, he more than makes up for in strength. One of Goro's punches finally connects and completely stuns him, leaving him open to another Goro Grab and an Arm Spin. While the defenseless hero is down, Goro finishes his assault with a Ground Pound, knocking Liu back several feet and making his head hit the floor. Liu, while in perilous condition, is still able to continue fighting. He goes at Goro with several punch kick combos, but the dark champion laughs as they all seem to bounce off him. With another freight train punch, Liu is sent flying, but still manages to get back up. Goro attempts a Stomp attack. Liu is able to avoid, but realizes that Goro is perhaps quicker than he previously believed. When all seems hopeless, he remembers that all students of the White Lotus Society are versed in knowledge of the seven pressure points and decides to utilize that against Goro. Entering back into the fray, Liu uses his still greater speed to break through Goro's defenses and attack the areas (coronal, above nose, clavicles, kidney, diaphragm, liver, hyoid). After each hit, Goro grows weaker and weaker, until he is on his knees. In his final attack, Liu Kang smashes Goro's jaw with his fist and sends him into the air. As he comes back down, Liu delivers a kick to the same place, further damaging the jaw and bones. Outworld's champion is finished. Before he can leave, Liu hears Goro calling him. Through a mouth full of blood and his own teeth, he warns the monk that Shang Tsung is now far more powerful than he should be because of a great darkness inside of him, one that is slowly spreading to others with 'evil hearts.' Our hero says that he understands and will ask that Goro be healed by Aura once he has defeated Shang Tsung. Liu Kang wins!

I'm almost done with the first arc. Hoorah! Please R&R and thank you.

Liu Kang emerges from the portal and back up to Shang Tsung's throne room, but finds utter chaos has ensued during his fight with Goro. The dark sorcerer himself is fighting both Scorpion and Quan Chi, much to the surprise of the defenders. Quan Chi tells everyone that he knows what the evil force possessing Shang Tsung really is, but before he can say anything else, Tsung tells Scorpion that it was really Quan Chi who massacred his family and clan, not Sub-Zero. The Shirai Ryu turns on his own master and attempts to kill him with Spear, but Quan Chi vanishes beforehand. Raiden and Aura arrive and, realizing the evil has made its presence known, attempt to purify it from Shang Tsung. However, the two are instead overcome by the evil and severely weakened. Shang Tsung flees to the courtyard, but not before summoning his minions. Kano, Sektor, and a revived Sub-Zero appear, all with black auras. Johnny and the other defenders decide to hold them off while Liu does his intended fight with the sorcerer. Although he does not wish to desert his new allies, the shaolin understands that only Shang Tsung's defeat can liberate Earthrealm, so he follows after him.
Sonya and Johnny face off against Kano, now more powerful from the evil. Johnny is taken out of the fight almost immediately when he takes the Black Dragon's flying knife to the chest. Sonya is enraged and lays a massive smackdown on her arch-rival. But Kano has a deadly secret. The evil has granted him the power to unlock his animagus. He slowly starts to mutate until he has become a giant brown tarantula. His increase in speed, strength, and addition of venomous fangs overwhelms Sonya until she transforms into the hawk and flies out of his reach, or so she believes. The monstrous spider begins climbing the walls and leaping off at Sonya, who barely manages to dodge. She attempts several dive bombs and talon slashes, but the tarantula blocks with his thick front legs. The daring lieutenant is finally bitten when Kano attacks her from the ceiling. Having decided to finish Sonya off with his knife, he reverts to normal and goes to grab it from Johnny's soldier, but said fighter has gotten to his feet, enraged with the sick mercenary. Johnny emits the ear-splitting scream of the animagus, forcing Kano to close his eyes and ears. When all is done, Johnny's animagus is revealed... the kangaroo. Of course, Kano breaks into hysterics until he becomes victim to a vicious flurry of boxing punches (keep in mind that Johnny's speed and strenght have gone way up), then a kangaroo kick. Kano gets back up and into Johnny's chokehold (I've actually seen one do that). Sonya awakes to see the kangaroo strangling Kano to death. She begs him to stop because she knows Johnny isn't a murderer and she wants to bring Kano in alive. Her words reach through and Johnny drops the unconscious Black Dragon. He then tries to help her, but she is fading fast from the spider's poison, so instead he uses her mike to call in a chopper.
It's now Cyrax versus Sektor, who is furious at his comrade for having defected to the defenders and turning his back on the Lin Kuei. As the two duke it out, Cyrax shows that he's the better fighter, forcing Sektor to morph into a giant bat. Cyrax struggles to avoid Sektor's divebombs. During one, the yellow ninja ducks down and brutally uppercuts the bat in the gut, knocking him out for good.
Finally, Scorpion duels with his blue nemesis. The Shirai Ryu attempts to apologize to Sub-Zero, but it seems that Shang Tsung has removed all emotion from the icy ninja, making him a zombie slave. Instead, he promises to save Sub-Zero from his slavery by killing him again, but Sub-Zero makes things difficult by morphing into a large black polar bear (the fur, scales, feathers, etc. are the same color as their human hair). While Scorpion didn't have Ursus' training or the evil's influence, he did have Quan Chi's magic, allowing him to transform into a giant black scorpion. The bear attacks with brutal claw swipes, but the scorpion's armor is too thick. The arachnid retaliates with a connecting tail sting. The venom is so powerful that Sub-Zero explodes in a shower of blood and guts. With no further purpose on the island, Scorpion flame teleports away.

Final battle and first arc conclusion next. Please R&R and thank you.