FIA Formula 1 Racing and Single-seater series

Freyith

Anyone here follow F1? Or GP2/GP3, Formula V, Formula Renault? I know it's pretty late in the 2011 season to start a thread considering Vettel just clinched the World Driver's Championship at Suzuka, but I figure it'd be worth a shot.

The only racing I follow is NASCAR...you know, the likes of Jimmie Johnson, Kurt & Kyle Busch, Carl Edwards, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, and my personal favorite, Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

Last edited:
I fell asleep watching the Suzuka race at around lap 12. I love playing the course in GT5. I thought Button won the race. Vettel wasn't standing in the middle of the podium that's for sure.

I fell asleep watching the Suzuka race at around lap 12. I love playing the course in GT5. I thought Button won the race. Vettel wasn't standing in the middle of the podium that's for sure.

You missed a damn good latter half of the race. Vettel only needed to score 1 point by that time to win the Driver's Championship. 3rd place was more than enough. Thus, he's mathematically eliminated everyone else. Now the race is on for the Constructor's title...which RBR will probably win anyways. McLaren-Mercedes might...MIGHT be able to swing it if they 1-2 practically every remaining race. With their luck, that isn't going to happen.

I'll give them credit for a very strong comeback when it comes to raw race pace though.

I follow open-wheel, but I limit myself to Indy and F1 with Indy being my premier league. I was a big fan of Kimi in F1.

If you like Kimi Raikonnen, you'll be pleased to know that he's sniffing around the paddock again for an F1 seat. More than likely it'll be Barichello leaving and Kimi returning.

Call me a dumb American, but I'm more of a NASCAR/Indy fan.

NASCAR fans are not dumb Americans. I don't follow Indycar, but I do know that one of their biggest stars who races in the NASCAR Nationwide Series part-time is switching over to NASCAR full time within the next year or so.

NASCAR fans are not dumb Americans. I don't follow Indycar, but I do know that one of their biggest stars who races in the NASCAR Nationwide Series part-time is switching over to NASCAR full time within the next year or so.

Yes, Danica's departure to NASCAR saddens me... not because IndyCar won't be just as entertaining without her, but because it will lose fans, threatening its long-term survival

IndyCar's long term survival isn't threatened by a talentless hack like Danica Patrick leaving for NASCAR (where she's equally mediocre), it's the general lack of interesting courses that Indy races.

Anyhow...Bump for winter testing and the approaching 2012 season!

Looks like the Austin, TX, GP is still a go. In huge news, Kimi Raikonnen is back, and with Lotus-Renault; here's hoping they're more competitive this year than last year. A former world champion driving alongside the nephew of a 3-time world champion (and possibly the greatest legend in the sport) could be a formula for a great team, since Bruno Senna is showing a lot of promise. Cars are to debut soon, so I'm stoked.

All in all, I'm super excited, though there's no doubt this might be a less amazing year than 2011's historic season. My money is still on Sebastian Vettel to dominate though. That said, I hope some of the midfield teams step it up, like Williams (what's happened over there? Seriously! Twenty years ago they were THE team to beat, in the advanced era of active suspension, traction control, and turbochargers), Renault, and Sauber.

my goodness i can't wait for the track in austin to open up! here is the layout!
austinF1track_close-640x439.png

one of these days i'm going to kidnap you frey frey and take you to watch them thar racist car drivers... ahyuck ahyuck.

IndyCar's long term survival isn't threatened by a talentless hack like Danica Patrick leaving for NASCAR (where she's equally mediocre), it's the general lack of interesting courses that Indy races.

IndyCar has actually added more interesting courses than they had 5 years ago. And just because intelligent people like yourself and I don't choose to watch or not watch a sport because of the presence of a hot chick driver, doesn't mean there aren't tons of fans who do.

^Sterling, you won't believe how stoked I am about the Circuit of the Americas track. I'm almost definitely going next year, since I won't afford to this year (between notice and my plans for that 700 I showed you).

LC, Danica irritates me precisely because she's a mediocre driver and the only reason anyone pays attention to her is because she's hot. As a woman, that personally irritates me even more. Women already aren't taken seriously in motorsport---though, Eric Bouillier came very close to signing a talented Frenchwoman as Lotus-Renault's reserve driver this year for F1.

Besides, Indy has Simone whatsherface, who is in general, a better driver.

Again, I agree with you about Danica... I'm just saying there's a lot of other fans who might not bother coming back with her leaving, that's all. And yes, I'm a big fan of Simona de Silvestro, although I'm not sure she has quite the same effect on those other morons that Danica does.

If you want my opinion about Danica Patrick, I predict she will be the biggest bust in NASCAR history. This isn't IndyCar...this is NASCAR, the racing equivalent of the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL. When she can compete with the likes of Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Carl Edwards (BOOOOOOO!!!!!!), Tony Stewart, and Kurt & Kyle Busch on a consistent basis, then we'll talk. She'll be lucky to even get the 12 spot in the coveted Chase.

Bruno Senna is in for Williams, replacing Barrichello (I'm ambivalent about this).
Kimi Raikkonen replaces Petrov at Lotus F1 Team (formerly Lotus-Renault), GP2 champion Roman Grosjean is his team-mate (predictably).

I...really want Lotus to have a fast car this year. OK, not a fast car, a decent car, one that doesn't catch fire every other race would be just fine, because Kimi could do serious damage with a good car. Maybe he can knock Schumacher in the nose and show him how to -really- come back out of retirement.

Well, some of the car reveals for this season are up. And they're really, really bad-looking except for the new McLaren MP4-27, which looks pretty nice.

McLaren:
MP4-27_Front-3-4.jpg

Ferrari F2012:
ferrari_f2012-1-985x645.jpg

ferrari_f2012-2-985x645.jpg

Force India Mercedes GP YMJ05:
1328262593.jpg

Caterham GP CT01:
caterham-ct01-formula-one-car.jpg

4243827056.jpg

Man, I really hope those hideous stepped-noses are gone by the end of winter testing. That Caterham is absolutely hideous.

Attachments

• MP4-27_Front-3-4.jpg
    MP4-27_Front-3-4.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 7