Were they trying to get Bi Han out of the way?

I was thinking about why in the story mode Tsung and Quan Chi wanted Sub-Zero (Bi Han) dead in the first tournament and I wondered if it had something to do with the events in Mythologies. Maybe if Sub Zero learned that Quan Chi (who was on Tsungs side) he would convince the Lin Kuei not to fight for Outworld. Or maybe he did have a contract to kill Tsung like in the originial timeline and they simply wanted to get him out of the way. Any thoughts?

Shang Tsung didn't care about Sub-Zeros (Bi-Han) fate in the actual timeline, he only announced him for fights. As for Quan Chi, he wanted Bi-Han as a another slave (beside Scorpion), that's why he showed Scorpion the pictures from his clan while they where killed.

Pretty much. I think Quan Chi wanted revenge for Sub-Zero ruining his and Shinnok's plan prior to the tournament, and unless I'm mistaken, QC resurrected Scorpion as part of his plan to kill SZ.

In the original timeline I can understand Tsung not caring about Sub-Zero and wanting him dead, in fact that makes sense since in the original timeline Sub-Zero was sent to kill him.

But in the alternate timeline (for some reason) the Lin Kuei were hired to fight for Outworld. Seems kind of pointless to make your two allies (Scorpion and Sub Zero since they were both fighting to eliminate earthrealm warriors) kill each other. Still I can see why Quan Chi did it. I think it would have been cool to give another nod to Mythologies by having Sub Zero say something about how Quan Chi was tricking Scorpion.