Human Sub-Zero in MK10. How would you handle his return?

How should a human Sub-Zero be added to MK10?

• Total voters
When armageddon was made, it was touted to be the last in the MK series, the reason they decided to kill of everyone since they had no plans to continue the series then.

Fast forward a few yrs, midway intregrated with WB and now we have NRS, who now had the resources to continue the MK series. At this point they realised that they need to make a strong foothold in the fighting game genre as their past couple of games were negatively recieved. Also continuing with after the armageddon storyline would have warranted a plethora of new characters, another thing that was not well received in the past games. Thus the same way would surely be rebooting the series from the start and making possibly 2 more games. The first being MK9, a fan service to all the fans by bringing back all the OG characters and the next game MK10, where they bring back certain post MK3 characters, develop them enough and create a good story out of it and show that MK can progress forward even without past fan favorites. This might be a reason why they decided to kill off many of the OG characters. Atleast thats what I think.

Boon said that after Armageddon only certain characters would continue, which means he did have plans to continue on after Armageddon. Like I said as well though. If that was the plan, Nostalgia, then why not just say everyone from MK1-3 survived. It would be the same game, just not set in the past.

I feel though that it's going to blow up in their face if that's what you think their plan is though. If they plan on continuing without characters like Kitana, Jade, Kung Lao, SUB-ZERO, then it's going to blow up in their face, IMO. I liked the characters in MK4-MKA. For some reason Li Mei holds a special place with me. I feel her story progressed more than half the characters from the origianl trilogy in the course of 2 games. Others I liked and feel have major potential are Mavado, Hotaru, Bo Rai Cho, and Fujin. However, I cannot imagine relying on those guys Scorpion, Raiden, Sonya, and Johnny Cage. I just can't imagine it.

I feel they are going to make an attempt to replace Sub-Zero with Frost, and if that's the case I really do hope it blows us in their face. Also you can say well it's not just Raiden, Scorpion, Sonya, and Johnny Cage left from the original trilogy, but it really is. They made such mockeries of the other's like Reptile, Baraka, and Sheeva that they come off as a complete lack of a threat. The only one still remotely believeable is Ermac. The rest? Their dead.

I get your point though. Yes there are others like Kai, Kenshi, Li Mei, Ashrah, Sareena that can all make names for themselves. I just don't feel that the way to do that is to say hey we had to kill others to get these guys in. That's just going to give them a negative reaction right off the bat, because many will feel that their favorite characters are missing as a result of these guys. Also they will have to do some major rebuilding to make those guys believeable. I like Li Mei, but Carnival Spin can't be her only special move.

The writers also need to get off of this negative bandwagon they are on. The heroes die in nearly every game now, and I'm sick of it. I don't know about anyone else. At some point someone needs to step in and say, do the good guys ever win? I mean there are ways to set up sequels and have the good guys at least get a win every once in a while.

I feel the best way to go about bringing in a new cast is to take out characters who DON'T have a lot of popularity. I've already made a list before.

Nightwolf, Baraka, Sindel, Reptile, Sheeva, Jax, Kano, Stryker. I'm not saying they aren't important, but taking those guys out for a game and giving them a break isn't going to result in as many pissed off fans as their are this time around. They KILLED the main heroes and we are to expect that KAI is going to take their place? Not trying to hate, but it's just unbelieveable.

Boon said that after Armageddon only certain characters would continue, which means he did have plans to continue on after Armageddon. Like I said as well though. If that was the plan, Nostalgia, then why not just say everyone from MK1-3 survived. It would be the same game, just not set in the past.

I feel though that it's going to blow up in their face if that's what you think their plan is though. If they plan on continuing without characters like Kitana, Jade, Kung Lao, SUB-ZERO, then it's going to blow up in their face, IMO. I liked the characters in MK4-MKA. For some reason Li Mei holds a special place with me. I feel her story progressed more than half the characters from the origianl trilogy in the course of 2 games. Others I liked and feel have major potential are Mavado, Hotaru, Bo Rai Cho, and Fujin. However, I cannot imagine relying on those guys Scorpion, Raiden, Sonya, and Johnny Cage. I just can't imagine it.

I feel they are going to make an attempt to replace Sub-Zero with Frost, and if that's the case I really do hope it blows us in their face. Also you can say well it's not just Raiden, Scorpion, Sonya, and Johnny Cage left from the original trilogy, but it really is. They made such mockeries of the other's like Reptile, Baraka, and Sheeva that they come off as a complete lack of a threat. The only one still remotely believeable is Ermac. The rest? Their dead.

I get your point though. Yes there are others like Kai, Kenshi, Li Mei, Ashrah, Sareena that can all make names for themselves. I just don't feel that the way to do that is to say hey we had to kill others to get these guys in. That's just going to give them a negative reaction right off the bat, because many will feel that their favorite characters are missing as a result of these guys. Also they will have to do some major rebuilding to make those guys believeable. I like Li Mei, but Carnival Spin can't be her only special move.

The writers also need to get off of this negative bandwagon they are on. The heroes die in nearly every game now, and I'm sick of it. I don't know about anyone else. At some point someone needs to step in and say, do the good guys ever win? I mean there are ways to set up sequels and have the good guys at least get a win every once in a while.

I feel the best way to go about bringing in a new cast is to take out characters who DON'T have a lot of popularity. I've already made a list before.

Nightwolf, Baraka, Sindel, Reptile, Sheeva, Jax, Kano, Stryker. I'm not saying they aren't important, but taking those guys out for a game and giving them a break isn't going to result in as many pissed off fans as their are this time around. They KILLED the main heroes and we are to expect that KAI is going to take their place? Not trying to hate, but it's just unbelieveable.
A good way around this is to bring the dead characters back as playable characters but have them play no/little role in the story. That way the story can progress forward for the new characters and the old characters can still be playable as dlc or unlockables. It would satisfy majority of the fan base.
I also really feel that those characters you mentioned can carry the story forward very well. I had made a hypothetical Mk10 story involving those characters a while ago, you can check it out at the link below my sig. I never did receive a negative comment as of yet which goes to show majority of the fanbase would like it, even with the dead characters almost absent from the story.

I read your story, and it was good, though it seems you only wrote a new MK4 + MK:DA. So, is it possible that Onaga will come back in the new timeline?

A lot of people died in this game

Sub-Zero, Kitana, Jade, Stryker, Kabal, Kung Lao, Jax, Sindel, Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Noob Saibot, Kano(frozen), Liu Kang. Some people say even Cyrax and Sektor may have died in the fight against the heroes. Why in the hell did they kill so many people? I mean that's over half the cast. You know some of them are coming back people.

Actually, in the next scene in the graveyard, Noob Saibot does tell Quan Chi that Cyber Subs is "the one who Kano warned about." Kano didn't die, but instead he thawed out and warned his Netherrealm buddies about a certain robot that could freeze things.

Last edited:
Or he could magically fuse with another character, like let's say Scorpion.

I wondered this because of that one ending which insinuated a new Deadly Alliance of Scorpion and Sub-Zero, and since it's an alternate timeline in which anything could happen, why not make a fusion character?

No, I don't mean like Chameleon. Just a fusion of Sub-Zero and Scorpion. You'd get all the opposites in one: yin and yang, hot and cold, rage and cunning.

That ending didn't insinuate a situation in which a fusion of both characters would occur.

I see 2 possibilities for the human Sub-Zero ending in MK9:

1) It insinuated and teased the possibility of a Sub-Zero \ Scorpion "Fire and Ice" type of game, considering that their website had job listings for someone to do an action \ fighting type of game.

2) The ending could have also been made to mock the fans about the MK: Fire and Ice game that was cancelled, the same way that NRS mocked the people who complained about the Jokers fatality in MKvsDC with Shang Tsung's Fatality in MK9.

As far as earthrealm heroes are concerned we got Kai, Shujinko, Sonya, Kenshi, Johnny Cage. That itself is a very solid team imo and a great story can be built out of them.

Fixed. ;-)