Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

@Arq

I'd say you are done, but I've said that before. He really has a lot of life. It looks fantastic. It is really close to the look of the original too.

I am dying to play this. It is what keeps me going. You should work on Lui Kang's Turning animation next so you can keep in step with Bleed.

hello guys, here are more changes that bleed, gojira, uker and other fellas commented.

1. more bended knees
2. softer shoulder rotation
3. get rid of the right hand rotation
4. and some other things I don't recall right now

but here it is

thanks cal, I can't wait to see him in mugen, I was goint to do the walking animation but I'll take your advice, I will do the turning animation first, than... walking, bleed, I need your help again... what should I do to make the sprites???? I mean, what format and things like that after the frames are rendered

Last edited:
Dunno, I went back in the thread and spent my daily quota thanking posts I happened to like. XD

BTW, did you consider shortening his feet a bit? (maybe you overlooked that PM)

sorry uker but I'm affraid if I make his feet shorter that's going to affect the animation :(

Liu Kang's movement looks way more fluent and natural now. I think he still jerks his left shoulder back a little too suddenly though, and the movement of his left hand/forearm could maybe be a little more subtle. Still though, fantastic improvement for sure, and with a couple more tweaks I think you'll get there.

The movement in his hair and pants still look a little exaggerated to me, but not too badly. I think wishes for more subdued cloth/hair motion has less to do with 'staying accurate' and more to do with what looks natural and realistic - though needless to say with the original sprites being actual photographed human beings, those two concepts aren't mutually exclusive.

This is what my lawyer had to say when I asked him about asking for or accepting donations.

Matt Rentschler - "I don't know much about Intellectual Property law, but if it's your artwork you can do most anything you want. If it's using someone else's artwork there are allowances to use it some ways under Fair Use, but profiting off of it might run you into trouble. That's about all I know"

19 minutes ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

VIA FACEBOOK
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kickstarting a studio off of this game changes the nature of it, and its no longer a nonprofit fan game.
Releasing it could effect the potential market for a similar MK Game.

As for the MUGEN engine itself...
Permission is granted to use the M.U.G.E.N Environment free of charge
for non-commercial purposes.

Last edited:
So since this our artwork created in the likeness of someone's else owned IP we can profit from it? Thanks for looking into this for us.

This is what my lawyer had to say when I asked him about asking for or accepting donations.

Matt Rentschler - "I don't know much about Intellectual Property law, but if it's your artwork you can do most anything you want. If it's using someone else's artwork there are allowances to use it some ways under Fair Use, but profiting off of it might run you into trouble. That's about all I know"

VIA FACEBOOK

So since this our artwork created in the likeness of someone's else owned IP we can profit from it? Thanks for looking into this for us.

If your creating everything from zero, I think you can do anything you want, donations, studio, etc.

If you release and sell the game for a profit without permission, that changes things.

I still think the risk of a C&D increases with donations and a studio. Good Lucky guys!!

VIA FACEBOOK
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kickstarting a studio off of this game changes the nature of it, and its no longer a nonprofit fan game.

That is utter toss. Ok so if i use Spider Mans exact design and make a successful profitable comic out of it caller Water Soldier nothing would happen to me?

I think its fair to say if you released this game for profit you would be homeless for the rest of your life or be in prison.

BTW, another possibility I should evaluate besides the 5 enumerated (the worst of which was a C&D), would be a claim of damages from NRS, with them arguing that this project is hurting MK9 PC's sales by shifting attention away from it.

The bent knees makes it look more natural, but to me it looks like there an odd snapping of his leg going on. If you break the animation down in 3 keyframes, it should be

1) bent crouch stance with body facing camera
2) straightened stance with body halfway pivoted
3) bent knees with body facing opponent

Then just rewind the animation to bring it back and then loop it. Hope that make sense.

That is utter toss. Ok so if i use Spider Mans exact design and make a successful profitable comic out of it caller Water Soldier nothing would happen to me?

I think its fair to say if you released this game for profit you would be homeless for the rest of your life or be in prison.

No man, you cannot sell and profit off of it. No one is saying that.

The bent knees makes it look more natural, but to me it looks like there an odd snapping of his leg going on. If you break the animation down in 3 keyframes, it should be

1) bent crouch stance with body facing camera
2) straightened stance with body halfway pivoted
3) bent knees with body facing opponent

Then just rewind the animation to bring it back and then loop it. Hope that make sense.
What I find weird is his left leg is the pants flapping with too different intensities during the forward and backward cycles, which gets really distracting.
I just didn't want to bring it up since arq_hawkin has said before it wasn't easy to control, but in fact, making the second half of the animation a reversed duplicate of the first would fix it.

Last edited:
What if you just had donations? You are not charging people money to see or use the content nor are you making a profit on NRS's property, but all you are doing is asking people to support the artists themselves as artists. That way you might be able to get around the dangers of trying to get paid for the project. Think of it this way, if you pay a prostitute for sex, it is illegal, but if you just have sex with someone, and offer them money because you just want to give them a gift, that isn't. It's the how the transaction is done that matters here.

You are not paying someone for a service or product, but rather an offering because you like what they are doing.

What if you just had donations? You are not charging people money to see or use the content nor are you making a profit on NRS's property, but all you are doing is asking people to support the artists themselves as artists. That way you might be able to get around the dangers of trying to get paid for the project. Think of it this way, if you pay a prostitute for sex, it is illegal, but if you just have sex with someone, and offer them money because you just want to give them a gift, that isn't. It's the how the transaction is done that matters here.

You are not paying someone for a service or product, but rather an offering because you like what they are doing.

I agree with that, probably asking donations but not under a concept of a mk fan-made game, would be less risky.

Remember NSR works with WB, so probably there is no chance to avoid a C&D if they want to...

Also, i really want to thank you all of you guys for all the hard work on this project. I really hope that you achieve a superb final result.

VIA FACEBOOK

I should've been a lawyer... ;)

I deal with copyright issues a lot at my job, there is a VERY fine line when using the term "fan art" as long as you keep it that and label it that way, and of course give credit to the origination, you almost can do whatever you want. I think the biggest roadblock here I don't think you guys are really considering... Warner Bros is a Movie Studio... they JUST purchased the rights to the Mortal Kombat Franchise... They aren't going to hesitate even a second to shut you down if you try to kickstart this. As soon as money is in the picture you instantly get a target on your back you become a threat because you are taking revenue that they feel belongs to them. Obviously WB doesn't see a market for a HD version of the game or they wouldn't have scrapped the original offical HD version, so I can't imagine they would pick you up even if you were a legit studio. Even if you have the support of the NR studio that isn't the WB Studio. However... you continue the project as a fan built game, you not only are building anticipation but also shining a light on the franchise name, they probably will leave you alone because you are giving them free PR and with the announcement of a new game (I'm sure soon, if not next week at E3) they aren't going to stop that.

You guys are doing excellent work, it would be a real shame if you couldn't continue. I would say where money is involved there comes a risk, as theres all this hoo hah about IP these days. But also people should be able to express their own interpretations of artworks freely. Again though, money tends to complicate the matter.

I've seen a lot of fan games and It seems that they only get shutdown when they get big.
Most fan games are never completed, and of the ones that are most of them no one really knows about unless you're someone who follows fan games. Those fan games are usually left alone.
But sometimes fan games are put together really well, and become rather big. People report about it and then people that probably shouldn't know about it, know about it. Everyone's excited and they get a C&D.

Pretty much, you become competition. You have a product that is at the quality of their product and yours is free. I mean, why would I spend $50 when I can get a similar game for free?

So if you guys continue this, it's almost certain that you will get a C&D if the game is any good(which it seems to be). WB is profiting off of MK1-3 still, yours is a copy of the first game with superior graphics.
You might finish MK1 before you get a C&D, as you already have a lot of stuff done. I don't think we'll be seeing MK2 or MK3 from you guys though. It's rather upsetting, although you guys have done a great job here, MK2 and 3 would have probably looked a lot better.

Bleed I got my stance rendered and I know I have to convert it to .pcx in photoshop but I don't k ow anything else :(. I saw cage's sprites, I know I have to scale my sprites, change the color mode, apply a magenta background but I'm not clear, I rendered my sprites 1280x1024 and saved it as a png file, with the settings you mentioned before. Also I would like to put them in mugen, Can you recommend me a good tutorial or something? Thanks bro :p