Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Here's with the new background and a couple small touchups:

9bkawk.gif

That's pretty good.
I like the background.
Now, besides the hand, which will always be a fist in my mind, my biggest problem is that there's too much of the left temple.
It makes his head look huge.

FWIW, here's some quick touchup I did (mine on the right)

Kang3_zps5e8e2e91.jpg

Biggest changes:
- Left temple (sides of the upper head should be about parallel) Left ear got a little bigger thanks to this
- Shoulder height ~ neck length
- Some touchup to the nose
- More subtle shadow around left eye
- Right eyebrow slightly thinner
- Right eye more "squinty"
- Upper lip made more straight
- Shadow over upper teeth

Last edited:
You nailed it!!!!! Perfect in my mind. You matched the background values and color perfectly! I am seriously starting to get an inferiority complex from all the talent surrounding this project.

Here's with the new background and a couple small touchups:

9bkawk.gif

I hope everyone can see this post before jumping to any final conclusion.
Raiden and Liu portraits compared side by side:
Spoiler:
comp1_zps7dceee5d.gif

As you can see above Raiden's fist is clear, with every single pixel depicting each finger. In Liu's portrait this is not the case, it looks blured.
Sidenote:
@uKER, lights are not below the fist, and even if that were the case, the fist would not cast a shadow like that.
The confusion might not come from overanalyzing, but rather from analyzing it with our own mindset instead of the creator/author mindset.
Asking someone at random will not yield anything but their personal view (which everyone is doing here already).
The hand is even smaller if you look at it as a fist. The lighting in the palm can match if it is a little bended towards the camera.

Liu portrait and ending pics compared side by side:
Spoiler:
comp2_zps792c5ea1.gif

I still think this is open to opinion, but looking at liu's ending you can see a similiar shadow being cast in the area between his neck and right shoulder.

As a final statement, I do belive MrMos3s's over all creativeness is astounding. And the way he can seamlessly transform a 'simple gradient background with a cloud filter' into an almost real location with sentiment ebedded, leaves me speechless.

Also, one I didn't have the time to do is making the hair on the left side of the head fall more vertically so that it doesn't look like he has a Wimp-Lo-like haircut. The upper part is supposed to be combed to the side, while the sides fall more vertically.

To Rene Dragus: I also commend MrMos3s' effort and creativity. I just don't see that hand there. While I still see a fist (you didn't draw the outline the way I described it), I may buy it just being the shoulder's shadow, but I honestly don't see that hand there, and I don't think the size matches either.

The sky background looks like two different skies blended together to me.

Because that's pretty much what it was, crop/cut/paste hehe. Like I said real quick, and i'm no master with editing software like some of you guys. Just trying to point out that the red sunset scene can work quite well if some effort went into it to make it look cohesive - colours, sizing, perspective etc.

But after seeing what MrMos3s has done, I don't think anyone would be disappointed with that. Looks awesome. Although i'd love to see what MrMos3s can do with that image.

Regarding the hand/fist. I always thought it was a hand as MrMos3s has shown. The fist seems to work as well. But now looking at it closely it could just be a shadow. There is a very strong light coming from the back right, which could give that part of the shoulder the deep shadow.

Last edited:
That's pretty good.
I like the background.
Now, besides the hand, which will always be a fist in my mind, my biggest problem is that there's too much of the left temple.
It makes his head look huge.

FWIW, here's some quick touchup I did (mine on the right)

Kang3_zps5e8e2e91.jpg

Biggest changes:
- Left temple (sides of the upper head should be about parallel) Left ear got a little bigger thanks to this
- Shoulder height ~ neck length
- Some touchup to the nose
- More subtle shadow around left eye
- Right eyebrow slightly thinner
- Right eye more "squinty"
- Upper lip made more straight
- Shadow over upper teeth

Thanks, I agree with most of these and will make adjustments.

I'll probably avoid modifying the body any further besides maybe a bit to his adams apple, the 3D model was in a slightly different position so maintaining proportions and skin texture would be extremely tricky. This should work fine though and will help keep as much as possible about the portrait familiar with our 3D sprites, even if it is just neck and shoulder muscles.

UPDATE: I just noticed you're using the version with the rippled water as the background, I'm wondering if I've already caught a couple of the things you mentioned with my latest portrait?

Last edited:
Wow we got a lot of activity in this forum tonight, those 1080 ripped backgrounds are great! And liu select portrait looks awesome and it's amazing how mrmos3s made the waves looks like an exact copy of the blury background found in the original portrait, cant wait to see what's mrmos3s will do next with the two ending portrait I gave him, great talent you have and great talent of the members of this forum, mrmos3s, bleed, cal, gojira, interloko, Justin, la_luna, uker, and all the kontributors, for me it's an honor to work by your side guys, and cal you have a great talent, don't feel less than anyone, you have a great talent, I don't know why you haven't work on Shang or goro anymore, by the way, have you done anything to liu's statue??? I really wanna see it LOL

Thanks Arq,

Yeah it is really eye opening when I see what others can do. I have been working Kano's end screen but then work got really busy. Will keep you posted though.

Here are some of the fixes that uKER pointed out and I saw a couple of extra things to mess with too, you'll have to look closely.

I'd personally be happy with this as a final.

6xrfj9.gif
LiuKang_arcade.jpg

You guys don't think his traps and shoulders are too small and neck too long? Plus you can't even see his clavicles (collar bones). Please tell me you see it and that I'm not just seeing things.

Had a couple other ideas of what his hand may have been doing.

Maybe he was singing
2dmeadz.gif

Or he could have been shaving
muwu53.gif

Hrm. Personally I still think the portrait has a long way to go. The work put in so far is impressive but there are still several things that bother me.

First off, count me in the camp who never saw the shadow on the left side as a hand. The shape looks too small and ambiguous to be a hand to me, and considering the lighting I'm really struggling to see how the hand could be posed to create such a shadow. But anyway, that's all up to individual interpretation, I guess.

The points falconsfan bring up are more important, I think. The angle and shape of the neck/shoulder/chest area is very different from the original and it kind of throws off the overall balance.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I feel like the Ho Sung Pak likeness has been almost completely lost. To be honest it looks nothing like him. The fairly distinctive shapes of his eyes, nose, nasolabial folds, eyebrows etc all look off.

I'll try to do a quick paintover to see if I can help illustrate my points.

edit: very rough, but here you go.
liu.jpg

Last edited:
Personally like, that you didn't insert right hand here. This portrait with misplaced innovations
dissapointed very much.

Last edited: