Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Yeah, and a lot has to do with pose and lighting and all that great stuff. Will drop him into Maya and work on the rigging and whatnot. Personally, I would love the longer legs since there is all kind of things wrong with this build physically. Dude will basically look like an infant walking carrying all that bulk on his tiny feet.
"Dude will basically look like an infant walking carrying all that bulk on his tiny feet." LOL. yea...it looks good and works on the original but its probably because I already know what to expect and seeing it in 3d now gives a different perspective.

For the most part, the sculpt is finished. Let me know if anything stands out so I can fix asap:

goro14.jpg

goro15.jpg

cool Thing! ! need more muscles . .! haha! B.t.w. I agree with Demonseed, The longer legs are better . .

For the most part, the sculpt is finished. Let me know if anything stands out so I can fix asap:

goro14.jpg

goro15.jpg
Besides a bit more muscle detail, particularly around the abdominal/rib region, I would say that his waist is a bit wide. That original model seems a bit slimmer, like he's been locked in his dungeon with little to eat.

The thing is so close to perfection IMO

Besides a bit more muscle detail, particularly around the abdominal/rib region, I would say that his waist is a bit wide. That original model seems a bit slimmer, like he's been locked in his dungeon with little to eat.

True, although the bones littering his lair with the bones stripped clean would probably beg to differ. XD The creatures with the glowing eyes in the background coud have ate a fair share of them though... although they are probably scavengers and eat Goro's leftovers.

details on the hands would be nice too, since theyre prominent in-game, and its a defining feature of goro. ...lol, socks, goro has to keep his feet clean and warm.

Really appreciate the feedback guys. Will fix up everything asap.

Just wanted to post this for the eff of it, but trying to do some sss(subsurface scattering) testing in Maya. Kinda get back in the habit of setting everything up since its been a while:

goro16.jpg

I'm outty for the night, PEACE!!!!

@Mortal Gojira, yeah the bandages on the heels go up the legs too much, and maybe you could tighten
them a bit too. Also, is it just me or does Goros' butt look too flat? Since he's got huge muscles
everywhere else. Anyway the model looks great, especially the head.

I got the mirror problem for the turn animation fixed, that was kind of a pain but I found a way.

Basically I have two normal maps, one with the normal large wrinkles and another without, so a smoother surface. During the turn animation, I blend smoothly from one normal map to the other. The normal map is missing the major folds at the mirror frame, so I'm able to mirror the animation without having such an obvious flipping of the shadows.

Nice, any chance to see how that looks? I think the biggest problem with mirroring will be Kano,
since he's the most asymmetrical character in the game - metal faceplate and that thing (bullets or whatever)
that goes across his chest.

dz9mbm.jpg

About the Scorpions' Kunai. I noticed in MK1 his kunai spins (3 different spin points)
and in MK2 it spins in 2 points:

1zldfr7.jpg

acybk2.jpg

I'm just throwing this out there if anybody is up to recreating the Kunai,
just a detail to have in mind.

Play around with Photoshop a little and see the result, if you like
-Slightly larger head.
-Feet pull them up very little
-And tightened thighs
goronew.gif

Really appreciate the feedback guys. Will fix up everything asap.

Just wanted to post this for the eff of it, but trying to do some sss(subsurface scattering) testing in Maya. Kinda get back in the habit of setting everything up since its been a while:

goro16.jpg

I'm outty for the night, PEACE!!!!
Dude.. Goro loook so freaking evil :X nice !

Last edited:
Re: Goro
I agree on the proportions thing. The original figure's elongated torso always looked a bit awkward to me so I see little need to recreate that entirely faithfully. I think the current proportions are alright (better than in the original MK at least) but I'm not sure making the legs shorter was an improvement in the first place.

I also echo the sentiments that the details look a bit soft. His abs could stand to be a bit more chiseled, and I think his legs could be a bit more defined as well. His back feels a bit unfinished in my mind, I would expect his lower set of shoulder blades to look a little more distinct and perhaps more importantly I think some detail on the scales on his back should be present in the sculpt. Oh, and what about the spikes on his forehead? :)

All in all he's looking great. Glad to hear you've got the facial animation bit covered as well.

Bleed, nice to hear about the solution for turning around animations, I had actually been thinking a bit about it as well. I agree that multiple/animated normal maps could be used to really great effect. If you have any more or less finished examples using this technique (ie the turning animation) I'd love to see it in motion.

On another note, there was a bunch of discussion way back about animation and framerates. Here's my two cents: constant 60fps animation would (in theory) look amazing, but apart from the technical issues explained by interloko, there are other issues. Namely, transitioning between animations. If everything is moving in 60fps, that means that the actual movement between each frame of animation is extremely miniscule - and because of that the bigger jumps that happen when going from one animation to the next is going to stand out more. By comparison, if, say, the first frame of a kick animation is no more different from any frame in the idle animation than how different the idle animation frames are from each other, for all intents and purposes the transition will feel perfectly smooth. Essentially, the smoother the animation, the more noticeable the "jump cuts" between animations become - at some point they may become more noticeable than the smoothness of animation, defeating the purpose entirely. It's for this exact reason that many modern games are capped at 30fps - a game running in 30fps occasionally dipping into the 20s feels much more consistent (hence smoother) than one constantly going back and forth between 25 and 50fps.

I think the process you yourself described, Bleed, is probably ideal. Make everything reasonably smooth, but decrease or increase the amount of frames wherever appropriate. I'm sure the animation could run at well below 60fps and still come across as super smooth, so long as the right care is taken with it, and that the amount of frames is concentrated on where it's necessary. I suppose I would recommend looking at games like SF3 and possibly Killer Instinct for reference. See how many frames something needs to feel "smooth", and see what types of motion requires more or less frames to achieve the desired effect.

While on the subject of animation, here's a question I'd like to hear other people's input on. How would you feel about having more unique animations for the fatalities?

What I mean by that is, the original game is using a fair amount of shared animations for different types of reactions, and a few characters have no unique animation for their fatalities either. Some of it I think is perfectly fine (the same headless body falling over animation in any decapitation type fatality, Johnny Cage performing his regular uppercut), but other times it looks a little awkward (no particular animation for getting one's heart ripped out, Sonya blowing a kiss towards the opponent's feet, the spine kind of popping up out of no-where in Sub-Zero's fatality, etc). I personally think it would be great if more care could be taken to make each individual fatality look as good as possible, both on the part of the character performing it, and the character who's on the receiving end. Basically, make each and every fatality feel like a treat, and not something pieced together with whatever graphics happened to be available. (Additionally, I'd really like to see every character getting a specific animation for getting impaled on spikes, where only Kano had it in the original game)

It wouldn't necessarily be a whole lot of extra work and obviously it's not something that would impact the gameplay, but I think from a presentation standpoint it could really elevate things. Slight graphical flourishes like that I don't think would remove any of the appeal as a remake of MK1, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

I agree with that whole last section about the fatalities and I think the sharing got worse in later 2D MK's especially in (U)MK3 like I mentioned earlier.. though IMO it wasn't as bad in the first two because at least they had the bodies fall when decapitated for example and they didn't just stay standing there facing the screen. They also didn't do that when the bodies got split in two where in MK3 they recycled the same forward facing body and when they would get bisected pieces of the arm or the hands stayed floating in mid air not attached to anything.

I also mentioned earlier about how when Sub-Zero rips out a ninja's head\spine the face looked distorted. I would like to see that fixed in the remake. I thought the animation of them pulling their arms back and twitching was OK for the heart rip... but what would you suggest? Perhaps them leaning forward and grabbing Kano's arm trying to prevent him from tearing their heart out?

Yeah people you are just right, putting combos in this mk1 will just ruin the game...well i just love this game and i think this project will be the best on the ethernet...Gojira Nice Goro man! That will seryous blew out everyone...I realease that some people dont even know about this, so it will be kinda a surprise...And to end, the sounds/effects, i can tell that i am a well experienced with sound and effect and these effect that i lestened ARE AWSOME, the song remixes are AWSOME too, i realy cant wait to see the intro song

To begin
HERE ARE THE INTRO STORIES OF EACH CHARACTER

AND THE ENDING OF EACH CHARACTER

PS:thank you all :)
Well the intro and the endings you will made later, but i sugest making the ending images like that fan-art you guys made :)
I would like to help mading it, if you could gave me the font and the images i would...can i?

Last edited:
Tiago, they are already made. They have already been posted in the thread much earlier. I will post them again for you if you don't want to look for them.

Jiggeh, just wanted to comment on your thoughts about fps.

Firstly, I'm surprised that you would mention KI and SF3 for reference. Both are old games, in totally different style to MK, and in low resolution. They were made with and made for old tech, which both couldn't handle and didn't require the amount of frames that MK with its realistic style requires in HD. If we were making this MK in an illustrated style, I think we could get away with even the original amount of frames. But we are sticking to the original intent, making it look realistic - now when people are presented with something that is trying to be realistic, they expect the goods. They will be critical towards its level of realism.

I'm even more surprised you didn't mention MK9, which does run in 720p at 60fps, to ensure that the characters look and feel as natural as they can. I feel like maybe I'll get smacked down by some people for using MK9 as a reference - usually I wouldn't, but in this case it makes sense since they share the same properties. Unlike the classics with their digitized actors, both have 3D models and both are trying to be realistic.

That's why I have been a supporter of 60fps for this project from this start. However, I know we have limitations with the amount of sprites we can use for Mugen, and I understand that limitation needs to be respected for the project to work at all. I don't know how much of that is speculation, but apparently that is the case. So when it comes to a solution, I am basically of the opposite view to you. I don't believe that the jumps from one animation to the next are going to make the game awkward, I think as long as each animation looks natural enough, we will have the desired effect.

If the engine could handle it, the easiest method would be just having it all run at 60fps, but because we need to be selective, each one needs to be judged and be given an amount of frames that make the animation look believable. As Bleed already found, some of those need to be at 60fps because they simply don't look right otherwise, considering that the characters are supposed to be portrayed realistically.

As for the fatalities, my vote is to keep them mostly the same just with fluid animation. Of course, any anomalies such as the distorted faces in Sub-Zero's fatality shouldn't be replicated. IMO keep it as similar as possible and update whatever looks like it needs updating or correction.

For Tiago and anyone else who is as keen to see Bio and Endings:

mk1hdendhoriz.png

mk1hdendvert.png

mk1hdbio.png

Since all the Bios and Endings share the same backgrounds, those samples should be enough. Keep in mind also that they are not the final versions, which have a different, updated texture and require tweaks to some background elements, which I am in the process of applying. Areas of text require correction too. Luckily for me, it seems I have a lot of time this week to return to UI work and hopefully finish it for good. After I do, I will post all screen samples in their most updated forms.

So i was searching around youtube and i find a guy that made a very good shang tsung that can morph to anyone without loading periods here is the video
Anyone know how does he do that? because it would be cool for shang tsung mk1hd to transform