Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Epic stuff Bleed. Did you use skin shaders or subsurface scattering on Cage? I think I can see light passing through his nose and lighting up the blood vessels.

interloko, please read PM I sent to you, have few questions about parallax.
I noticed you done Throne Room with this effect and blur wasn't noticable.

Lighting issues asside, I noticed the colour reduction on Cage's shorts make them look not so great. It might be a good idea to render them in a different/brighter colour to get a wider gamut, and then make them black in the final palette.

Did you happen to export the model from Zbrush, export settings might be causing it.

Nah, it's all 3ds max lowpoly with TS...Apparently incorrectly placed loop cuts are the main problem with this...Even though the distortions happen on a completely flat surface too and I don't really see anything wrong with the geometry :/

Got it! :tee:

I ended up setting the samples to 4/64, and turned off Final Gather.

On the render I got two frames that were flickering, so I just found those and rendered them again, problem solved.

My guess is, if the sample rate was even higher, like 16/64, there would be no flickering at all.

Great job on problem-solving! Your dedication to the project and fixing these issues as they come is remarkable. I'm glad (as I'm sure all the other fans of this project are) that you are such a perfectionist.

Can you show us how the final will look once you have the sash flipped over to the other side?

...Can you show us how the final will look once you have the sash flipped over to the other side?

The final will probably be like this:
Spoiler:
CageTurnWip2_zps8d672b28.gif

hi guys
awesome work
once again i mind you nowaday that you gays have a hard and laudable effort, it is better that its consequence has a good and proportionate quality in respect to your effort. for this purpose it is necessary that game be at least in full HD (1920*1080) and everything lower than this, would be alack in respect to your effort (regardless of increasing advances of screen and image quality such as 2k, 4k and 8k).
so i want you to think about it. as far as I know your HD sprites has maximum 400 pixel in hight and it is inadequate for full HD, because in most of the original MK games, the characters are indwelling half of the screen (Refer to the following pics), so half of the full HD hight is 1080/2 = 540 pixel and this is far than your 400 pix characters.
furthermore as far as I know if mugen game build based on the 1920*1080 and later want to have low res game(f.e 1280*720) it is easily possible by work on some text file like mugen.cfg and system.def, but its inverse is impossible (higher res is impossible without having more high res sprites)
as far as I know other efforts on HD mugen games observe this (here you can see HD mugen sprites that have more than 500 pixel in hight:
http://parsemugen.webnode.com.br/download/characters/)

1.jpg
in this pic (original mk1 arcade) the character hight is 0.53 screen hight.

2.jpg
in this pic (original mk2 arcade) the character hight is 0.54 screen hight.

3.jpg
in this pic (original mk3 arcade) the character hight is 0.52 screen hight.

thanks for your attention

Last edited:
We are using a lower res, because most people don't have a computer strong enough to render full HD without lag.

What I'm using is this.
GameWidth = 1280
GameHeight = 720

I can render the sprites at a larger size for full HD, but not use them because it's too heavy.

My characters are indeed higher rez, however, SSF2T has very little frame animation compared to this project. And they are going to have all the sprites in one character!

Hey Guys, I made some modifications in the model of Sonya before starting the animation again, I tried to make the closest to the original, in its position of fight.View attachment 5353

Hi Cris Berserk, your 3D model of Sonya Blade is very good!, I'd be very grateful that you consider the idea that I show to apply. I hope your answer, greetings and congratulations on your work.

SONYA 3D RESTYLING.gif

Agreed. They should be a more cotton-y matte.
Also, I think the positioning of the light coming from the right should be more, well, to the right of the model.
Currently it looks as if it's coming from somewhere a bit to the right of the camera.

Last edited:
We are using a lower res, because most people don't have a computer strong enough to render full HD without lag.

What I'm using is this.
GameWidth = 1280
GameHeight = 720

I can render the sprites at a larger size for full HD, but not use them because it's too heavy.

hi bleed
but nowaday even a weak computer can run 3d games at full HD !
is this because of using mugen from hardware rendering?
are you already trying your project at fuul HD and cause lag ?