Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

@Bleed, regarding the JC flip animation.

Just a suggestion, what if you not only moved the sash during the flip sequence, but the light source as well (to match a mirrored stance render)? It would make for a smooth transition, without a jarring "jump" in frames.

@Bleed, hook me up with whatever needs UVW/Texturing/Shading. Also, I'd like to take a stab at the pit bottom if you don't mind. I really think I can improve upon it.

What aspect of the pit bottom can you improve? Your talents and time would be better spent on texturing Raiden who is modeled but not textured. Please don't attempt to improve work until we finish the game. Especially if your time is better spent on making new progress.

If you are really interested in improvements to existing work, at least (as the backgrounds original creator) allow me some input in to what I'd like to see improved. For instance, if you have nothing else to do and you are handy with zBrush, I'd really love to see the Gold Dragon's in the Throne room redone. I created them quickly and when I was first learning zBrush, I think that they could be improved dramatically.

The pit bottom, I feel the the overall lighting could be improved upon, with better ambient occlusion and bounce lighting, as well as improvement of displacements/textures/shaders on each asset. SSS on the body, bounce/hdri lighting on bodies/parts. It seems to look like a flat photoshop rendition to me rather than an actual environment. Of course, this is only my opinion and based on my experience with such things. Only reason I ask, is because I thought everything was already done, at least tentatively, when I offered to texture/UVW. If you like, I can take the original pit bottom files and adjust lighting/textures, which shouldn't take more than a day and you can see what you think. Or, if it's alright with you, I can take a stab at the pit bottom from scratch, and show you a quick render to see if you like it. Would only take a couple of days.

I have a lot of experience with digital environments/sets for film (http://www.artificialempire.com/#!gallery/c3oe), as it's my specialty, but I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to criticize their work maliciously :) as everyone has done great work.

I'd love to start on Raiden tonight if I could get him.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w556/arq_hawkin/stance_zps0cda5e1d.gif

here is another try, I tryed to fix:

hands smaller
hair less waving
pants tighter
C shape left hand
thinner body
right foot motion
relaxed right hand

That's really nice.
I like the hair much better, his hands too, and the foot animation looks great now.
Now I'd only bring the tips of the left hand's fingers together, kind of like this only more curved.
Also, I think it would be nice if his left heel also jumped when his right foot goes forward and not just when it goes backwards. See that here.
And I insist his right upper arm should go almost parallel to the body. That is, bring the elbow closer to his body, while maintaining the hand's height.
Look at how his forearm and upper arm appear the same length in the original, and how the distance between his elbow and his pants is much smaller.
Also, about his pants, I think the crotch could be made even less baggy. It still has that pronounced bouncy motion not present in the original.
Also weird is that the rhythm at which the pants' crotch whips down doesn't follow the feet's bounce, like there's some uncontrolled flapping going on.

Last edited:
The pit bottom, I feel the the overall lighting could be improved upon, with better ambient occlusion and bounce lighting, as well as improvement of displacements/textures/shaders on each asset. SSS on the body, bounce/hdri lighting on bodies/parts. It seems to look like a flat photoshop rendition to me rather than an actual environment. Of course, this is only my opinion and based on my experience with such things. Only reason I ask, is because I thought everything was already done, at least tentatively, when I offered to texture/UVW. If you like, I can take the original pit bottom files and adjust lighting/textures, which shouldn't take more than a day and you can see what you think. Or, if it's alright with you, I can take a stab at the pit bottom from scratch, and show you a quick render to see if you like it. Would only take a couple of days.

I have a lot of experience with digital environments/sets for film (http://www.artificialempire.com/#!gallery/c3oe), as it's my specialty, but I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to criticize their work maliciously :) as everyone has done great work.

I'd love to start on Raiden tonight if I could get him.

This is a huge undertaking my friend. You would need to create the pit top as well or else the stage fatality wouldn't match up correctly. I have no doubt that you have the talent. I unfortunately had to create everything in pieces since I didn't have a good enough computer to render the shot in one scene without awful slowdown. That is one of the reasons the lighting isn't unified. The other reason is that the original game doesn't have unified lighting. This remake's backgrounds are purposely stylistic. Each object purposely rendered the way that it is. If you create a super realistic looking pit, that's great and all but then all the other backgrounds would need to be updated as well.

I wouldn't at all be against you re-doing all of the severed heads, and dead bodies. Perhaps we can work together on that?

We don't need you redoing the backgrounds. We need upgrades to individual items. Like for instance, new Dragons in the Throne Room. Obviously I can't stop you from demonstrating your art work. Just don't be mad if it doesn't get used in the final game.

If you'd like to take a crack at modeling Sonya that too would be helpful. Every time someone comes out of the blue deciding they can do things better it causes hard feelings. I spent a lot of time on these backgrounds and while I know they are far from perfect, redoing my work to make it "better" is kind of insulting. Also people like to confuse realism with being better. I'm trying to maintain the style, and essence of the original; cheesy "schizophrenic" lighting and all. It is all done on purpose. Some people don't agree.
That's totally fine. At any rate, you've got some amazing talent. Just hope that you'll focus your attention on elements that really need.

I meant no disrespect and apologize if I came off negatively. I guess I'm used to it in my field, as it's common for me to have my work redone, improved upon, or outright changed... and vice versa, since as a team, we all have varied skills and can always benefit from eachother based on our own strengths, weaknesses, and experience. I've improved upon my art director's work, and had my work improved upon by junior artists... I just have a different view/perspective I suppose, since when someone can do something better than me, I'm excited as I see it as an opportunity to learn a new skill/technique. I sometimes forget that people dont' see things the same way, and I meant no insult at all. I was just trying to offer my strengths (as an environmental artist) to anywhere it would be beneficial. i.e. I feel the original artists were trying to make the pit realistic (as close as possible with their budget/technology could at the time) and I thought I could make some adjustments to match the lighting in the original pit/pit bottom. Once again, I apologize if it came off as insulting or negative in anyway... Just so we're on the same page, and you don't feel I'm trying to undermine you or your work, I was just talking in regards to the lighting of the spikes on the pillars, and the pillars themselves (lit from a top source, presumably the moonlight) in the original pit/pit bottom... casting downward shadows. If you like, I can do a pillar section render that you could use/incorporate into the scene to see what I'm talking about (while I await the Raiden data). Once again, I apologize man, and I hope we're good, and we can move forward.

Last edited:
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w556/arq_hawkin/fight_zps5d79b158.gif

well uker, here is my last shot, that's all I can do, believe me bro, you were right about the arm, the problem was the elbow was aiming to much to the camera, the left hand is more like C shape, and the foot in moving better I think, about the pants, I cant do anything more, because it's just reaction, I don't animate the pants, they react to the body movement, and I can make them look less baggy but I have to decrease the keep shape option and if I do that, the cloth intersects with the body, you don't know how difficult is to work with cloth modifier.

also the pants are not that baggy, it's just the perspective that makes the pants look baggy, if bleed and cal agree, I guees I can make the sprites now.

I didn't like the movement of the pants.
The chest needs further movement.

well uker, here is my last shot, that's all I can do, believe me bro, you were right about the arm, the problem was the elbow was aiming to much to the camera, the left hand is more like C shape, and the foot in moving better I think, about the pants, I cant do anything more, because it's just reaction, I don't animate the pants, they react to the body movement, and I can make them look less baggy but I have to decrease the keep shape option and if I do that, the cloth intersects with the body, you don't know how difficult is to work with cloth modifier.

also the pants are not that baggy, it's just the perspective that makes the pants look baggy, if bleed and cal agree, I guees I can make the sprites now.

I wouldn't at all be against you re-doing all of the severed heads, and dead bodies. Perhaps we can work together on that?
We don't need you redoing the backgrounds. We need upgrades to individual items. Like for instance, new Dragons in the Throne Room. Obviously I can't stop you from demonstrating your art work. Just don't be mad if it doesn't get used in the final game.
I'm trying to maintain the style, and essence of the original; cheesy "schizophrenic" lighting and all. It is all done on purpose. Some people don't agree.
That's totally fine. At any rate, you've got some amazing talent. Just hope that you'll focus your attention on elements that really need.

Yeah, just tell me what you need, I'll hop on the dragons if no one else is doing them for the time being. Just to clarify, I wasn't insulting your talent/level, I was just referring to the downward shadows/top lighting in the original, whereas the pit bottom I saw had the shadows moving almost upward on the pillars. Just a suggestion that's all. No hard feelings I hope.
piitbottom.jpg

That's great, man.
The only strange thing I see is the movement of his nipple, but I can live with that if you don't notice it and/or you can't fix it.
Well done!

I meant no disrespect and apologize if I came off negatively. I guess I'm used to it in my field, as it's common for me to have my work redone, improved upon, or outright changed... and vice versa, since as a team, we all have varied skills and can always benefit from eachother based on our own strengths, weaknesses, and experience. I've improved upon my art director's work, and had my work improved upon by junior artists... I just have a different view/perspective I suppose, since when someone can do something better than me, I'm excited as I see it as an opportunity to learn a new skill/technique. I sometimes forget that people dont' see things the same way, and I meant no insult at all.
I feel you, man. I'm used to the same kind of work dynamics.
I saw your work and I really liked it.
It would be nice if you got some of your talent into the project, but if not, my props to you anyway.

No worries man. Sorry if I am territorial and guarded. I am an advertising Creative Director from NY, where Art Director are constantly gunning for my position and would stab me in the back if it meant they could have my job. Having a bit of an ego, a false sense of confidence is almost a job requirement. for me. It is refreshing to work in an environment that isn't so cut throat. I litterally have to defend every creative decison I make on a daily basis, so yeah I sometimes overreact a bit. Thanks for your patience, but I still feel we are so far into this that your talents are better served creating tweaks and edits such as the dead bodies or the gold dragons. I hope you can agree. Would love to have you on the team.

I meant no disrespect and apologize if I came off negatively. I guess I'm used to it in my field, as it's common for me to have my work redone, improved upon, or outright changed... and vice versa, since as a team, we all have varied skills and can always benefit from eachother based on our own strengths, weaknesses, and experience. I've improved upon my art director's work, and had my work improved upon by junior artists... I just have a different view/perspective I suppose, since when someone can do something better than me, I'm excited as I see it as an opportunity to learn a new skill/technique. I sometimes forget that people dont' see things the same way, and I meant no insult at all. I was just trying to offer my strengths (as an environmental artist) to anywhere it would be beneficial. i.e. I feel the original artists were trying to make the pit realistic (as close as possible with their budget/technology could at the time) and I thought I could make some adjustments to match the lighting in the original pit/pit bottom. Once again, I apologize if it came off as insulting or negative in anyway... Just so we're on the same page, and you don't feel I'm trying to undermine you or your work, I was just talking in regards to the lighting of the spikes on the pillars, and the pillars themselves (lit from a top source, presumably the moonlight) in the original pit/pit bottom... casting downward shadows. If you like, I can do a pillar section render that you could use/incorporate into the scene to see what I'm talking about (while I await the Raiden data). Once again, I apologize man, and I hope we're good, and we can move forward.

You've improved so much since the time you began working on this project, great job. The movement is very fluid and life-like.

If I had to do a picky comparison with the original...i'de say he should lean into his stance more(knees bent lower) and make his torso and shoulder "twist" more.

You can see the twisting movement if you focus on his right shoulder and arm:
Liu_Kang_MK1.gif

I'm getting the Raiden file ready to send you bbyoshi147, I'm cleaning up the scene right now. Will probably need some back and forth to make it something special.

Last edited:
Liu Kang's stance is constantly improving, that's nice to see. I don't really like his left arm though (the arm furthest from the camera)... the way he has it placed by his hip makes for a pretty awkward fighting stance. Looking at the original sprite, it definitely looks to me like he's holding his arm in front of his body. You can see the way the rim lighting hits the arm, most of the forearm doesn't get lit because it's blocked by the body.

As jmanimal points out, there's also some twisting in the body that's missing still. I don't think it's so much his shoulders - that's where the twisting is most visible, but he's actually turning his hips (and of course the upper body follows). You can see it by looking at how his abs move. I think getting this motion into your animation would make it look much more natural (as well as accurate to the original, of course).

Guys I think you should look for Bruce Lee's fighting stance cause I remember Bruce Lee doing the same stance as Liu Kang's.

Liu Kang's upper body has a minimal twisting motion front-side-front twist. .

Last edited: