Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

"How the smoke fades away while staying thick looks strange, I think it should break apart more sort of like the flames.

Cage's fireball looks really cool on the start up."

This is really tough to do...I'd have to hand mask out each smoke puff, don't know that it'd be worth the time.

EDIT:

I gave it a quick pass to see if it works:

http://www.jtresca.com/test/KANGFIRE_RAW.mp4

Last edited:
A little design tip. If you want glowing fireballs, (with a halo around them) or other transparent fun, you can actually give your image a black background and in photoshop make it bright colors with an outer glow around the layer. When you insert it into mugen, use AS256D256 as your transparent code. It makes the black invisible and the halo of light semi transparent. It's a neat effect if you want a better transparent smoke and fireball.

I first discovered this in a version of Sub-Zero I had. All his freezing effects were glowing, and that's how it was done.

Hey guys, I follow the thread these last weeks, and I can say that you really are in a good way. I think Bleed, Cataclyte and Interloko really makes the project lives and keep it alive. But there's also a lot of other people really helping them in their task. Such teamwork could be an example for future game designers guys ;)

Liu Kang's Firebolt looks better compared to the first one Calactyte. Good job. Johny Cage's green Bolt is good too. I like the beggining of the animation, it looks very much like the arcade.
I was a bit curious about something. For the alternative appearences of Liu Kang, Raiden and Kano will work like you do for the ninjas? I mean create different colors only for the clothes, or you will use darker versions of the sprites as it was in the arcade? I never liked that actually, I am glad that the developers never did that again after the first game.

Slightly different colors or just darker fabric I would imagine. We are trying to stay close to the classic, but "for me" there is a point where too close is not good. Duplicating graphical limitations like the dark palettes would be an example of something to avoid.

I'm setting the palettes to handle different colors either way.

Oh I just realized who you are! I downloaded your demo from the TGC forum a while back, when I was checking to see what the engine could handle. Your stuff was the most impressive, obviously I have a bias toward fighting games, but still.

[EDIT]

Fall animation is started, motion is blocked in. Tested the rough frames in mugen, and it looks pretty good, only needs little smoothing.

I'll be working on the sweep get up animation in a couple days. Something strange, MK1 doesn't seem to have the normal stand up animation, it uses the sweep anim instead!?...

Last edited:
Oh I just realized who you are! I downloaded your demo from the TGC forum a while back, when I was checking to see what the engine could handle. Your stuff was the most impressive, obviously I have a bias toward fighting games, but still.

Lol yeah that's me. Still the game needs a lot of tweeks, and I'm the only one coding so it's really hard and takes a lot of time.
I don't have graphics too, because there is no spriter in my team -_-

MK1 had a lot of limitations. Those three charakters were wearing white - black outfits. I guess that it was not easy to separate colors and create different outfits so they just had to change all the colors of the sprites. Overcoming those problems is a good thing. The get up animation using the sweep anim and not the normal one as in the next games was probably because of the low amount of memory used those days. I don't think that you will move away from the arcade if you make an extra stand up animation.

Now I am confused. I thought that you were talking about my demo.

LOL wut, I'm talking about Dim_77's demo, Dark Kumite with Dark Basic. I know what Maxi is working on, I've seen your stuff on mugen maxi, but I didn't know you had a demo, where's the DL link?

Bleed said:
Something strange, MK1 doesn't seem to have the normal stand up animation, it uses the sweep anim instead!?...
Yes but not all characters, look at Liu Kang for example. He use the other animation.
They used only 1 animation instead of 2 like later games

LOL wut, I'm talking about Dim_77's demo, Dark Kumite with Dark Basic. I know what Maxi is working on, I've seen your stuff on mugen maxi, but I didn't know you had a demo, where's the DL link?

XD Oh I thought you were talking about my game. And in fact it's no possible, because I didn't release a demo yet lol
But soon...

Looks great, but i think it will be better if have a blow animation on the end, it only get bigger and fade away, if it explodes in te end when hit, explodes like a crash ring ad then fade