Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I personaly am againts comic/live Kano look, with silver thing across his chest.
Hell, even the canceled MK HD Arcade Kollection based Kanos' look on the original game:

1dqaq.jpg

Just my 2 cents

from tobias twitter ( https://twitter.com/therealsaibot ):"Some nice model work." Oct 28. referring to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3LcKhsuvh0 MK1 HD Remix” hmmm this was an older vid showing the project pretty early on. i'll see if i find the other link

Vogel's twitter ( http://twitter.com/k0mb4t ): ".... NICE! Scary how much that looks like MK1! Especially the ninjas!" Oct 28

Wow, that is just so cool. If even the original devs approve of this work, then it's definitely on the right track :)

I'll start Zbrushing Sonya soon (hehe that sounds dirty) :) . I'm redoing the face sculpt now that I know to base it off of the original. I found some more clear reference images of the arm gauntlets. Then once Gojira has more progress with the Goro sculpt and Jarvis has the layouts he said he was tweaking we should all definitely show a new vid. As well as sound fx, work from calactyte, Bleed, and Badmouse... and everyone else working on the project. I'll try to see if I can add a Kano face sculpt too... whether or not it'll be in the final project. This project is just getting better and better, especially with the critiques (smoke.tetsu thats you!) lol. Theres a lot of talent involved and the critiques help shape the direction its going.

Last edited:
I'll start Zbrushing Sonya soon (hehe that sounds dirty) :) . I'm redoing the face sculpt now that I know to base it off of the original. I found some more clear reference images of the arm gauntlets. Then once Gojira has more progress with the Goro sculpt and Jarvis has the layouts he said he was tweaking we should all definitely show a new vid. As well as sound fx, work from calactyte Bleed, and Badmouse... and everyone else working on the project.

Can't wait for the Sonya, good luck with it!

I'm just going to strictly work on finishing my stuff now and take a break from the forum, if anyone needs anything PM me.

Wow, that is just so cool. If even the original devs approve of this work, then it's definitely on the right track :)

On the other hand the original devs approved of some sub par home ports of the game. Ed Boon even said the PC version of MK4 was better than the arcade because of the higher resolution although it was the same stripped down port the consoles recieved and actually didn't even make use of the power 3D cards available to the PC had back then.

But I do agree that it's quite cool that they do approve anyway.

I'll start Zbrushing Sonya soon (hehe that sounds dirty) :) . I'm redoing the face sculpt now that I know to base it off of the original. I found some more clear reference images of the arm gauntlets. Then once Gojira has more progress with the Goro sculpt and Jarvis has the layouts he said he was tweaking we should all definitely show a new vid. As well as sound fx, work from calactyte Bleed, and Badmouse... and everyone else working on the project.

Got any reference images of Elizabeth Melacki?

http://es.mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Elizabeth_Malecki

http://mkuniverse.at.ua/index/ehlizabet_maleki_elizabeth_malecki/0-516

You may want to get a copy of the behind the scenes videos most of those pics where taken from. You can do a lot of screen caps from it and see her face up close.

BTW it's probably a good point that the cancelled HD Remix had the original brown chest utility belt for Kano.

Honestly not making as much progress as I would like. Kept running into issues with zbrush and maya, but nothing too serious. Here is a quick update:

goro17.jpg

EDIT: Still not happy with the back and legs. And hands for that matter. He also has a bit of a monkey face. Not too sure about those areas of the sculpt.

Honestly not making as much progress as I would like. Kept running into issues with zbrush and maya, but nothing too serious. Here is a quick update:

goro17.jpg

EDIT: Still not happy with the back and legs. And hands for that matter. He also has a bit of a monkey face. Not too sure about those areas of the sculpt.

I may have overlooked it, but I didn't see Goros back being visible that much in the sprites, besides the shoulderblades and above.
Wraps look a lot better, though they should be closer to the leg, right now it looks like a thicker material.
Legs seem okay but you should keep the proportions the way you had them before. The texture works on the arms, and from a distance, on the body, but it's looking uniform. You're right on the monkey face, though as to why I'm still trying to figure out. The body sculpt is good though, especially the ribcage. The veins are a nice touch.

Something looks off with the chest. For the most part its good so I don't think there's anything drastic to change. Maybe the middle part doesnt look defined or it could be the top part of the chest... no collarbone visible? A good reference for these things and what I would recommend for the modelers are the Tekken renders. Tekken 5, 6, tag 2, and dark resurrection. Overall, the model looks a lot better than before though.

I definitely completely left the collar bone out. Will sculpt that in. So should I do away with the scale look?

I think maybe his muzzle is too concave, and that split down the middle doesn't help. I will rework the whole face.

Will tighten up the wraps

I'll see if I can photoshop some stuff by the next day to see if I can get a better idea on what to fix. The scale look... it works on the arms, adds some nice details. For the body maybe smooth some of it out or mix it up with smaller lines going across. Try checking the model from waist up. IMO the head sortta works on that though I think the problem is that it looks smashed. The legs are short so looking at the model full view makes it look like the image is squashed.

true. but i think a bit more definition in the middle of the chest would work.... more subtle than the render I posted above. I know you said you werent done working on the collarbone but I think the main problem with the chest is the part where it meets the shoulder and collarbone. it should go a bit downwards and the collarbone at that point becomes more prominent. On the render it shows it better than what I explained.

As far as the scales go if you are going to tone it down anywhere it should be mostly in the front.. I would think his back would be more scaly looking than the front with it gradually getting somewhat less scaley looking in the front.

Working on collar bone now. Tried to clean up ape face. Any better?

goro18.jpg

I will play around with what you said about the scales, heavier on back to lighter front. Thanks.

I think the horns need some detail where they meet the head like deformed skin that goes around where they protrude. Right now they just look like they are clipping through the surface.

BTW, something I thought of when I posted my last message is much of the texture will be less apparent when the artwork gets downscaled to the resolution needed for 720p. So I think it's not too bad for it to be somewhat exaggerated so it shows up more in the final product. But yeah heavier on the back lighter on the front seems to me like it'd be the most realistic way of doing it.