Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Yeah I have it switching to a special recovery state with a longer pause on hit, and on block it's different also.

The active frame doesn't hit till the 5th tic. The first 4 tics the hit frame is visible, don't actually hit.

Hit frame is visible for this many tics.

On whiff = 10

On Hit = 4+48 of hit pause = 52

On Block = 4+18 of hit pause = 22

The 5th tic is the active one, so I'll leave it as 1 active tic = tic 5.

That's counting from 1 up.

Last edited:
What other Stuff is left?

All stages and UIs are done right?
Calactyte have completed all the projectiles?

Other stuff to make are only blood animations?

I think i can help with some stuff after back from my vacations, im going to the Okinawa Island from this weekend for 9 days, so i can start with something from 1 of jul.

Guess so..., I'm not sure what is left, just wondering because It's too quiet. I wish the other character artists would stick around longer, this is the area that needs the most work right now.

Animation too, if someone could work on biped animation's it would really help, at least blocking them out.

Last edited:
Will be helpful to reorganize the project.

About the status of the characters.

We know that Goro, Shang Tsung, Liu Kang, Kano and Sonya are on the way but what is the current status?

Any update for the user are working on those characters?

The artists for those are all gone, I think Goro,shang and Liu are ready for rigging. MKGojira models them in classic style before going to Zbrush I think. They can be taken straight from there to rigging usually.

I have the the skinning almost done for raiden, could use some adjustment. Maybe some bones for the face animations and morph targets.

The uppercut is almost ready, I'll have it drop box tonight. I'm waiting for the render to finish.

Great Bleed!

So is like Sonya and Kano are 0% and you have something done of Cage.
I will try to update the Kano i Stopped months ago.

This is the last version of the Kano head.

kano_face.png

Last edited:
I haven't done much on Cage, Sonya may need to be done from scratch. I don't think we have the current model, and the artist hasn't been around.

I'm not asking to get crazy working on this stuff, it would just be good to see something from others.

Looks like Calactyte and I have been keeping the thread alive for a while now.

I understand if people too busy with more important things. Interloko is working some crazy hours and has almost no time to work on this. I know how that is, I used to work a 12 hour shift, plus I had to do mandatory over time... It was like work sleep, and nothing else.

Kano is looking good so far.

Last edited:
I haven't done much on Cage, Sonya may need to be done from scratch. I don't think we have the current model, and the artist hasn't been around.

I'm not asking to get crazy working on this stuff, it would just be good to see something from others.

Looks like Calactyte and I have been keeping the thread alive for a while now.

I understand if people too busy with more important things. Interloko is working some crazy hours and has almost no time to work on this. I know how that is, I used to work a 12 hour shift also, and it was like work sleep, and nothing else...

Kano is looking good so far.

Sonya will be hard to make i guess...
Thanks for Kano Critics :) I will try to make the face UVs and paint a texture to see how he looks.

The true about the project is that you (Bleed) and Calactyte are keeping the project alive, Im very thank you guys for this.

BTW : What version of MAX are you using? I read the some reviews about the new Autodesk 3D Software Packs, the interesting part about the 2013 version of Max and Maya is that you can bridge both softwares and transfer the same rig that you create in max in to maya.

Last edited:
I still havent liked anything I've modeled with the Sonya face so I took some time away from it and worked on another model. Currently, I'm just tweaking the body. I'm still learning some better techniques along the way so before I make any final cloth I'll keep practicing on some small projects until I get there. Bleed set the standards high. I figured since we still have other characters to do I can take a bit more time with Sonya. Progress is slow but steady I'll upload an update on the body soon.

Don't worry if it's "not up to standard", it's nice to see the progress anyway. We can critique if needed and push each other to get things done. A little competition is good, or things get too boring.

If you are having too much trouble with something, I don't mind giving you a hand. Do what you can, and pass the model over, so I can try and get her face looking right. Focus more on clean topology, edge loops and that's enough.

Drop box updated, Scorpion.zip has the uppercut sprites added.

MK1Scorp_3d_uppercut.gif

Last edited:
Looks awesome. Is it just me or does it look like few sprites are missing?
In between last crouch and first uppercut sprite? I'm watching it on work
(old ass computer with lousy internet speed) so it might be that.

Also, just something to keep in mind, I think computer (AI) on the original game
is able to do uppercut without crouching. Like when you play againts Sub-Zero,
when he freezes you he usually uppercuts you instantly from his feet.

Not only the AI can uppercut from standing. You don't have to HOLD down and HP to uppercut, you can just press D+HP at the same time from standing and the character would start from the first frame of the uppercut. The same worked for the roundhouse and the sweep.

About the uppercut hit frame, all I do, (and what I've seen in other creations) is

uppercut.jpg

For the actual part that hits the opponent, make a duplicate. The first one for one tic and the second for 2 tics bringing the total display of that image to 3 tics like the others before it. If you think about it, when a person hits another there is a short period of time, where the fist has power upon impact. If they let their fist linger and the opponent touches it or walks into it, there would be no impact.

I like that you have different changestates depending on if the move hits or not.

Hair will be added towards the end, when making textures.

The uppercut hits on the frame where the arm is bent over his head. Doesn't look like it would, but that's how they made it. If you have MK1 on mame, do the uppercut and press P to pause. When paused, press Shift+P to advance frame by frame and you'll see what I mean.

Anyways, what should I work on today hmmm? I think I'll do the spear toss.

recovery on hit depends of pl2 Y position, it starts when enemy is falling and is at ?? (i can't remember now) pixels from the floor.
also not all characters has the same timing, look at cage, is faster than scorpion in uppercut animation but slower in duck kick for example ;)
there are some diferences in animations and damage of same attacks between characters.

what should I work on today hmmm? I think I'll do the spear toss.
if you are inspired, the spear toss will be great. maybe after this you can make air punch, so then we can make the teleport too :)

I'll start on the spear toss later tonight, right now I'm making the Hell stage from UMK3. Leaning how to use Maya.

Not only the AI can uppercut from standing. You don't have to HOLD down and HP to uppercut, you can just press D+HP at the same time from standing and the character would start from the first frame of the uppercut. The same worked for the roundhouse and the sweep.
Hm, I know it works for roundhouse (B+HK) and sweep (B+LK) but D+HP for instant uppercut just
doesn't work for me. I tried it on MAME in MK, MKII, MK3 and UMK3, same thing - you have to
crouch all the way to uppercut.

Am I missing something here, or doing something wrong? Someone enlighten me pls.

I hear you Bleed. Try not to let yourself get frustrated by others lack of effort on this. What makes this difficult is character animation (at the level you do it) is pretty hard to come by. The fact that you also happen to be a huge MK fan is another 1 in a million shot. But try and stay motivated even though this thread gets boring. With each character you build, it just adds to your portfolio. Right now I'm most excited by the fact that we could potentially have Scorpion, Subzero, Reptile all completed. I'm going to start rigging Goro after I finish his projectile. Just lots happening all at once with my son being born and then more 3D freelance work came in that I have to get out of the way. I can tell you this though, I will not quit until this project is complete or we are told by their lawyers that we have to end the project. I'm not nearly as skilled as you are with with animation, but I can perhaps help out with modeling and rigging so that all you have to do is animations.

As long as you and I take the slow and steady approach we will finish this eventually. I must say you are ripping through animations very quickly. The spear toss animation will be awesome. Then as Interloko suggested maybe you can do jumping punch/teleport. That covers all his special moves. I think we are 47% complete. We accomplished that in 9 months! It stands to reason that we could potentially finished this game within 18 months. I can tell you if Interloko programs this like I know he can and if you stay the course, we will make a legendary version of Mortal Kombat that some people may even use in tournaments. Don't give up and thanks again for all your hard work on this.