Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I already did it :soapbox:

LOL, I guess it's too subtle...

He's got three faces, neutral during pump, brow up when arm is up, and angry during the strike.

Body and pant pretty much completed. I guess for his shoes, just make them regular sneakers? I notice in the intro for MK2, they were changed to the kung fu slippers. Should I just make then that instead?

kang6.jpg

kang8.jpg

Word. Wish there were better reference materials for these guys. The sprites and stuff are so tiny. And all the magazine scans I find are for part 2 and up

As always, the animation looks pretty great overall. Aside from the things mentioned, when it comes to where on the block his hand is striking, the only thing that matters really is that it's consistent between where the characters strike and where the blocks are struck. I mean as long as the sprites for the blocks line up, him hitting off center itself isn't necessarily an issue. :p

It made me think of something though - wouldn't it make sense to have different animations for succeeding and failing? I mean when the characters succeed in destroying the block, their hands should realistically go through the it to some degree, whereas the animation you've posted looks a lot like when you fail a TYM in the original game. I suppose I'd need to see what it looks like with the complete animations, blocks, "particle" effects and so on before being able to tell if it looks good or not, but it was just a thought.

---

Liu Kang looks pretty great, he is definitely very recognisable. Some crits: I do think his pants could be a bit baggier though, and the waistband should probably not jut out so much from the body. Instinctively I feel like his hair should be a bit bigger, but i'm not entirely positive... I do think though that the parting of the hair, basically the amount of forehead you see and the size of the hair in relation to that, does add to that impression of him looking older than he did in the original game. I think getting the hair just right will definitely help push the likeness even further.
His body seems a little bulky overall, but it's hard to tell without comparing to other characters or seeing what an actual in-game sprite would look like. For the shoes, definitely go with sneakers. I think we should strive for accuracy to the actual original sprites as far as it's possible.

---

I did manage to get a tiny bit of work done last night, but nothing worth showing really, just some adjustment to the basemesh I'm planning to use for sculpting Kano's body (the topology was pretty wonky before). I will definitely try to get some actual progress done today and during the rest of the week. I would really like to be able to complete Kano, partly to help the project of course, but also get some much needed practice creating modern-spec character models and perhaps even something for my portfolio. If I feel like I'm not making progress and/or the quality isn't to the standard I would like I'll let you know and Mortal Gojira or someone else could take over the reigns.

In the case I don't finish Kano (or even if I do) I would still be happy to help out with animation. Bleed is clearly doing a great job already but doing the animation 8 characters plus whatever else is obviously a huge workload, and, well, it's kind of the same thing there - I would definitely love to help out the project, but I also enjoy doing animation and would really like to get more practice doing it. If you would allow it, Bleed, I feel like I could learn a lot by working with and studying the rig you've created for Scorpion.

The rig needs tweaking depending on the animation I'm doing. That's one reason I don't like to pass it to someone else. It's a bit confusing to work with, because I'm combining morphing and bone animations depending on what I need for a certain pose.

The rig could be much better, but I'm learning some things about that as I go along.

If you are linked to drop box, I can put it in there for you, I don't remember if you are.

I hope it's not too late to show you some pics of Ho Sung Pak. .

@Mortal Gojira: the one you based is his facebook profile picture, which you can see that he is aging. I look for some pics from his album and this is what I've found . . 40921832217529114766710.jpg 38687326947184642350010.jpg

That's perfectly understandable, Bleed, I'm usually not fond of other people touching what I'm working on myself. If nothing else I would love to just take a look at the files, if you don't mind, just to get a better idea of how you've got things set up and how to work with it for future reference. If it means I can actually contribute to what you're working on, great, but if not I could at least hopefully learn something from it. If it would relieve your workload I could definitely do some crude animation basically just copying the poses from the original sprites, and leave the tweaking and actually making it look nice to you, but if you prefer to maintain the pipeline from start to finish that's cool, I respect that. For the record I do not have access to the project Dropbox.

Thank you tremor_209, those were helpful

Alright, so made his pants tighter(tee hee) at the waist, made them baggier at the knees, made his hair bigger, and finished up the sneakers.

I do think he is more muscular than how he looked in part 1, but I like it. If you guys prefer him to be slimmer though, I'll tone him down.

crap, no fingernails
kang9.jpg

Definitely an improvement! I think he could stand to be a little slimmer, and the arms look quite huge (both in girth and in length).... maybe the head is a bit big? Not really sure, but either way it's definitely only minor tweaks from here on out. I would really love to see him together with Scorpion or Raiden, even if it's just a mockup. :D

One note about the texturing - the skin looks good, but the pants look solid black on my monitor at least. I assume it's not final but I'll mention it now in any event: I talked a bit about this before (like 100 pages ago or something, lol), but for actually creating the final sprites for the game it will be much more practical to render images with easily separated colours, than going for what the final sprite should look like. The lack of foresight about this issue is precisely why characters like Liu Kang, Kano and Raiden have such awful 2P colours in the original game. If you were to texture his pants as, say, bright blue, you won't lose any colour information due to the pants being all black, and it will be easy to recolour the pants either through the use of colour palettes or doctoring the sprites themselves in Photoshop. If you leave them all black, the quality of the sprites might suffer for it, plus it'll give you a lot less freedom when it comes to alternate colour palettes. This is one particular issue where I don't see any reason to slavishly follow the example of the original...

Just registered to say this project is amazing. You guys know your shit!
I do have questions though. After the completion of the entire game will people be allowed to make their own gameplay tweaks to this?
And will you be motivated to continue to do MK2HD and UMK3 HD?
I certainly hope so.

Definitely an improvement! I think he could stand to be a little slimmer, and the arms look quite huge (both in girth and in length).... maybe the head is a bit big? Not really sure, but either way it's definitely only minor tweaks from here on out. I would really love to see him together with Scorpion or Raiden, even if it's just a mockup. :D

One note about the texturing - the skin looks good, but the pants look solid black on my monitor at least. I assume it's not final but I'll mention it now in any event: I talked a bit about this before (like 100 pages ago or something, lol), but for actually creating the final sprites for the game it will be much more practical to render images with easily separated colours, than going for what the final sprite should look like. The lack of foresight about this issue is precisely why characters like Liu Kang, Kano and Raiden have such awful 2P colours in the original game. If you were to texture his pants as, say, bright blue, you won't lose any colour information due to the pants being all black, and it will be easy to recolour the pants either through the use of colour palettes or doctoring the sprites themselves in Photoshop. If you leave them all black, the quality of the sprites might suffer for it, plus it'll give you a lot less freedom when it comes to alternate colour palettes. This is one particular issue where I don't see any reason to slavishly follow the example of the original...

Thanks, yeah the hands look longer because of the zbrush bpr thing that I used. I'll do a non render post soon. Also, I'll change the color of the pants to light blue when finalizing him

Just registered to say this project is amazing. You guys know your shit!
I do have questions though. After the completion of the entire game will people be allowed to make their own gameplay tweaks to this?
And will you be motivated to continue to do MK2HD and UMK3 HD?
I certainly hope so.

Ichi, nice. And I'm for it. I'll like to help with future potential projects any way that I can. As for the game tweaks, someone else will have a better answer for you on that

Another pic, I just found of him.

We are going to animate his muscle contractions, at least for the front of the torso. The final mesh should Have a ripped look and a relaxed look to make the different normal maps for it.

CageandKang.jpg

Cool, cool. Would blend shapes be easier for the muscle? Not too sure how animated normals would work, never really learned it.

Anyways, could not sleep so messed around with converting Kang to Shang Tsung:

shang.jpg

Thank you tremor_209, those were helpful

Alright, so made his pants tighter(tee hee) at the waist, made them baggier at the knees, made his hair bigger, and finished up the sneakers.

I do think he is more muscular than how he looked in part 1, but I like it. If you guys prefer him to be slimmer though, I'll tone him down.

crap, no fingernails
View attachment 2781

No problem! By the way, nice work! But I think it is cool if you'll give him Bruce Lee body type. .

Cool, cool. Would blend shapes be easier for the muscle? Not too sure how animated normals would work, never really learned it.

Anyways, could not sleep so messed around with converting Kang to Shang Tsung:

View attachment 2782

Awesome man!