Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Temple Shrine, 75% of the way through. Needs some color correction and other elements such as new guards and trees and the big shrine...but it's getting there. Torches missing as well. Also last but not least, it needs some shadows to pull you in but I wanted you guys to see what I was up to for the past two days.
TEMPLE_SHRINE.jpg

Looking awesome! I do have some crits to make, but not much time to post them now. Anyway keep up the great work :)

Okay I'll make one quick crit, and once again this is simply to do with function - currently, there doesn't seem to be enough depth in the background to accommodate for the guards, who are far off in the distance and so quite small. There's various ways to increase the depth here, but I'll have to make a more detailed post later.

Calactyte, what I think you should do is move the back fence further away, and elongate the side fences so that they reach that distance. For the ground texture behind the path, make a very fine texture that gradually gets larger toward the front. Also make the left gate more narrow. That should do the trick I think.

Temple Shrine, 75% of the way through. Needs some color correction and other elements such as new guards and trees and the big shrine...but it's getting there. Torches missing as well. Also last but not least, it needs some shadows to pull you in but I wanted you guys to see what I was up to for the past two days.
TEMPLE_SHRINE.jpg

Hey friend:) Left and right entrances are cool, but sorry, i absolutely don't like the lighting, it's extremely flat:( In my version, there was a sunlight from behind, how the Buddha lighted. The rest objects are made with different lighting. Also, there are no shadows at all. If possible, please, send me this stage in 3ds or obj:) As I started, I'd like to finish it:) May i?

Hey friend:) Left and right entrances are cool, but sorry, i absolutely don't like the lighting, it's extremely flat:( In my version, there was a sunlight from behind, how the Buddha lighted. The rest objects are made with different lighting. Also, there are no shadows at all. If possible, please, send me this stage in 3ds or obj:) As I started, I'd like to finish it:) May i?

His post says he hasn't put the shadows in yet, but they will be there. There are other things to fix too but overall I really like his version, would love to see him complete it.

No doubts that you like it, his version is more like arcade, yes. Do whatever you want:)

Also, i wanted to ask, do you need music for stages i made (they are as close to MK1 as I could create) or anyone else creates music?

No doubts that you like it, his version is more like arcade, yes. Do whatever you want:)

Also, i wanted to ask, do you need music for stages i made (they are as close to MK1 as I could create) or anyone else creates music?

The Grid and I are already working on the music, he's got most of it composed already. But thanks for the offer anyway.

Calactyte, what I think you should do is move the back fence further away, and elongate the side fences so that they reach that distance. For the ground texture behind the path, make a very fine texture that gradually gets larger toward the front. Also make the left gate more narrow. That should do the trick I think.

Hi Jarvis,

I'm currently using the same dimension and depth that the Arcade is using. I'm trying not to stray from that. I wonder if it's not looking deep enough because of the ground texture. That probably will need to be tweaked.

SubZera,

I hope that you don't mind, but it's probably easier for you to send me the Buddah and Temple as .3ds or .max format than it would be for me to send you all of my 3D and .obj files.

Great work you guys! Do keep up the awesome effort!

Also do post up ur music Sub_Zera. Having a variety is better and people can choose the one they like. I really liked the music you put in for your mugen games. :p

SubZera,

I hope that you don't mind, but it's probably easier for you to send me the Buddah and Temple as .3ds or .max format than it would be for me to send you all of my 3D and .obj files.

It's OK, I'll send you my scene with lighting and texture. You can hide my objects and place the whole of your construction on the same place, so, your objects will be with the same lighting as Buddha.

TEMPLE_SHRINE.jpg

Here's a quick shot of what it looks like in the game, with my own coded base character.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd155/GM123456/MK1_HD_Remix_InGame.jpg

Woah! ^ ^ these two are both cool !! But I have a question . . Is it me? or Is there something funny about the floors. .

I mean, Scorpion's feet are not really leveled on the floor, is he in his normal stance or is he going to jump?
and in the Courtyard. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but the floor is kinda uneven . IDK guys if you can notice that too . .

The yellow one is in the walking animation, and the shadow doesn't match his one foot, because it's not a real 3D shadow. It's just the sprite flipped and turned black.

These are little details that need to be fixed as we go along. I'll have to alter the walk, so the feet stay closer to the center line, and this shadow problem is not so apparent.

Last edited:
Hi Jarvis,

I'm currently using the same dimension and depth that the Arcade is using. I'm trying not to stray from that. I wonder if it's not looking deep enough because of the ground texture. That probably will need to be tweaked.

I just matched your one up to the original and you're correct, the dimensions are the same. So yeah, I agree you shouldn't stray from those.

I think what is affecting the depth is firstly the ground texture as we've already said, but not only that, it's the path too. In the original, the path is level with the ground and has a structured border outside of it, and its own texture is also increasing in size towards the front.

]
pg720.png

In your version however, the path appears as if the ground is casting a drop shadow onto it, as if it's above it. Your texture also doesn't change size - now the thing about the original, is that it treats the path and ground as one big floor that gradually grows, which gives more distance and is why the illusion of the far away guards can work. Not a path close up with shrinking ground behind it as one might think. Currently, neither your ground nor your path texture is growing, and that's why the stage lacks depth.

So basically the solution is to firstly give the path the same outside border as in original, then change all your floor textures starting from the ground to increase in size towards the front. Add the necessary lighting for the final step, and I'm positive we'll have the illusion of the guards.

Last edited:
The yellow one is in the walking animation, and the shadow doesn't match his one foot, because it's not a real 3D shadow. It's just the sprite flipped and turned black.

These are little details that need to be fixed as we go along. I'll have to alter the walk, so the feet stay closer to the center line, and this shadow problem is not so apparent.

Oh! Okay I get it . . So in short , in the final product, the sprites/models are positioned in the center of the carpet . . ?

Great work you guys! Do keep up the awesome effort!

Also do post up ur music Sub_Zera. Having a variety is better and people can choose the one they like. I really liked the music you put in for your mugen games. :p

I agree variety is a good thing, however everyone should be aware that the music is having a lot of work put into it, just as much as the graphics. We'll be using modern high quality plugins, extensive mixing and mastering for a really great production. I'm very excited for it.

Calactyte, this might be trivial but I thought I'd check with you anyway since you made the screen. I've altered the text on it, Press Start now has the same styling as I've used for the rest of the UI, and the Copyright and TM text have been changed to a similar font to the Midway logo, which also closely enough resembles the original copyright/tm text. All good?

tsedit.jpg

TEMPLE_SHRINE.jpg
Few things need touching up, if what's shown won't be modified. The background statues are not evenly apart, and some seem to be floating.

The rear wall appears to have two parts to it too. I'm not too fond on how the wall gets darker, then stops, and the new wall is lighter.

I agree with the depth of the ground. New textures need to be made to look like the original, where the stones/pebbles are exponentially larger up front than the back.

Lighting on the Buddha is very different to other objects in the arena.

I'm sure you have noticed these by now, so keep up the hard work. You're doing a bang-up job!

And also the statue on the far left - maybe you should flip it. It will make sense to assume that beyond the left entrance will be a repeat of what's on the arena.

Here's a quick shot of what it looks like in the game, with my own coded base character.

MK1_HD_Remix_InGame.jpg
Wow, I never realised how big Tsung must have been all that time.

Sure has been a while. I've always been interested in this project. It's just amazing to see the effort you guys have put into this project. I just can't wait to see the finished product.