Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

@ DEMONSEED: I'm doing the same thing, I have the edge loops in place and I'm going up in subdivision one level at a time. Trying to capture a likeness before moving to the next one.

I spend a lot of time on level 1 and 2 usually.

This project should stick to the original. Then if released opensource a whole new slew of people will learn about mugen. Look at MK Project 4.1... 1000+ projects were made based off of that. If MKHD sticks to the original and "Nails It" your fans can create Ultimate MK1HD and anything else they want, ermac etc. If opensourced - upgrades, addons, and replayabilty are not an issue at all.

MK MUGEN fans and MK fans are uniting over this project. An important goal would be to create a community of ppl after the games release, to play, edit, and support future MKHD projects. In my mind a fanbase and replayabilty really comes down to whether or not the game is open or closed.

Last edited:
Justin, what you essentially have in mind is an alternate version of MK 2011 that's based on MK1. I loved Vincent's designs, and I wouldn't be opposed to such a re-imagining in the slightest. But not for this project, and I can't stress that enough. This project is an ode to the original arcade game, in all its old school glory. While you may not be excited about this, there is definitely enough of a fanbase who is. This is the direction we've chosen in all aspects of the game, and IMO the end result will be a way to relive the original experience of playing it when it was first released.

I don't have such a militant attitude towards keeping it a non-pixelated version of MK either, even though it may appear that way. I just feel there should be a good balance between recreating assets so up to today's standards, but resembling the original game. As for the UI in MKAKHD, there's a lot I like about it but there's also things I don't, I have chosen a simpler approach that is less modernized and I don't have any regrets about that. Like I said, the screens you saw previously weren't the final versions anyway, which I wasn't satisfied with either, so I've amended their problems and I believe I've struck a good balance between the original and the HD remake.

Jarvis, what I had in mind was an alternate version of MK1. MK 2011 is almost a whole other franchise.

Like I said, I've talked about that enough. I've revised my initial thinking and think that THIS game needs a single, perhaps hidden alternative mode offering alternate versions of the stages and music and whatever else the artist's feel inspired to include. No gameplay is affected and the entire classic experience is intact. This is the best way to honor the original game while also showcasing some of the Kommunity's artistic visions of MK. There really is no need to have two separate games with the same essential gameplay.

Like I proposed, this whole mode can be just an alternate Battleplan. If both were included in the same package this would be a definitive MK1 experiance, offering both an entirely classic experiance and a bit of freshness all in HD.

Justin, what you essentially have in mind is an alternate version of MK 2011 that's based on MK1. I loved Vincent's designs, and I wouldn't be opposed to such a re-imagining in the slightest. But not for this project, and I can't stress that enough. This project is an ode to the original arcade game, in all its old school glory. While you may not be excited about this, there is definitely enough of a fanbase who is. This is the direction we've chosen in all aspects of the game, and IMO the end result will be a way to relive the original experience of playing it when it was first released.

I don't have such a militant attitude towards keeping it a non-pixelated version of MK either, even though it may appear that way. I just feel there should be a good balance between recreating assets so up to today's standards, but resembling the original game. As for the UI in MKAKHD, there's a lot I like about it but there's also things I don't, I have chosen a simpler approach that is less modernized and I don't have any regrets about that. Like I said, the screens you saw previously weren't the final versions anyway, which I wasn't satisfied with either, so I've amended their problems and I believe I've struck a good balance between the original and the HD remake.

After a successful release of this project, why don't the developers update the stages and characters, add more blood, include Justin's soundtracks and name it Mortal Kombat: Bigger, Better, Louder, Meaner! Yes, with the exclamation mark. This won't be a remake, just an upgrade with the community's ideas based off the original, so then we have a choice of old school arcade Mortal Kombat and a bloodier alternative of the old school arcade Mortal Kombat, special thanks to the community of TRMK.

Edit- Justin, MK Bigger Better Louder Meaner would be a great advantage. Just an idea, though. I DO support the Remix mode. If an options menu is to be added to the title screen, might as well have a "classic" and "remix" mode in there.

Jarvis, what I had in mind was an alternate version of MK1. MK 2011 is almost a whole other franchise.

Like I said, I've talked about that enough. I've revised my initial thinking and think that THIS game needs a single, perhaps hidden alternative mode offering alternate versions of the stages and music and whatever else the artist's feel inspired to include. No gameplay is affected and the entire classic experience is intact. This is the best way to honor the original game while also showcasing some of the Kommunity's artistic visions of MK. There really is no need to have two separate games with the same essential gameplay.

Like I proposed, this whole mode can be just an alternate Battleplan. If both were included in the same package this would be a definitive MK1 experiance, offering both an entirely classic experiance and a bit of freshness all in HD.

Doing what you propose still requires another version of the game, your idea is to just keep it within the same game instead of splitting them. I also don't see much point to it, considering that the stages are something that is very difficult to stay true to the original, and will be substantially different no matter what. They are also supposed to match the character sprites, so the versions that we'll have will be the best we can do with everyone who is involved, no matter how different or how similar to the original they are.

The way I see it, we should have a definitive version of the game and so options like different stages, music or whatever else contradict that and imply that we couldn't decide on what we wanted. I think it's important that we do decide on what we want and stick to it, and be proud of the end result in every way.

Having said all that, I believe there may be some surprises in store for this game, but for the most part it will be just like the original in native HD quality. And that should really be enough to get excited about, even if you're not at this stage, I think you'll come around when you actually get your hands on it.

Last edited:
options like different stages, music or whatever else contradict that and imply that we couldn't decide on what we wanted.

I'm sorry, Jarvis, but this is ridiculous. Especially considering it would be a BONUS option.

Haha Perhaps MK:BBLM! is the way to go, Grid. I was just visualizing a single concise package that let's players play how they want, hopping back and forth if they choose.

I guess I'll just leave it up to the Kommunity. What do ya say guys? MK:BBLM! or Alternate Mode?

CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY!

After a successful release of this project, why don't the developers update the stages and characters, add more blood, include Justin's soundtracks and name it Mortal Kombat: Bigger, Better, Louder, Meaner! Yes, with the exclamation mark. This won't be a remake, just an upgrade with the community's ideas based off the original, so then we have a choice of old school arcade Mortal Kombat and a bloodier alternative of the old school arcade Mortal Kombat, special thanks to the community of TRMK.

Edit- Justin, MK Bigger Better Louder Meaner would be a great advantage. Just an idea, though. I DO support the Remix mode. If an options menu is to be added to the title screen, might as well have a "classic" and "remix" mode in there.

Last edited:
IMO it doesn't make sense contemplating an alternate version at this stage, since we still have such a massive amount of work to do for this version. And I do mean massive, progress is good but we still have a very long way to go. That's not even including bug testing.

Perhaps once we're finished doing what we set out to do, and there is still demand for a modernized or hybrid version of MK1, we could do something like that if everyone was so inclined. Although, that would also take time away from continuing forward with an MK2 HD and so forth, if we chose to continue at all. But IMO we shouldn't concern ourselves with anything else until this is done, whether it's alternate versions or sequels, because it only takes focus away from the current project.

I agree, Jarvis.

That is exactly why the alternate mode should be added to THIS game. There really is no logical reason not to since it doesn't affect gameplay.

IMO it doesn't make sense contemplating an alternate version at this stage, since we still have such a massive amount of work to do for this version. And I do mean massive, progress is good but we still have a very long way to go. That's not even including bug testing.

I'm sorry, Jarvis, but this is ridiculous. Especially considering it would be a BONUS option.

If it sounds ridiculous to you then maybe it's because I misinterpreted you, since there aren't any specific details of what you had in mind.

Did you mean alternate versions of the same stages? As in not day/night alternates, but simply different interpretations? Because that doesn't make sense to me at all, it would require literally double the work for something that is neither expected not necessary.

I agree, Jarvis.

That is exactly why the alternate mode should be added to THIS game. There really is no logical reason not to since it doesn't affect gameplay.

If there's no difference in gameplay then what alternate version? What is the point of doing the whole project all over again for a bonus feature?

From what I understand, for some reason you want different stages, when I cannot see anything wrong with the ones that are being made, and which are being made to match with the sprites we have. Other than that you want different music, when there is not even one version of the tracks to judge yet and decide whether we need another set of it.

Again, you're asking for double the work for a bonus feature. I don't see this as a reasonable thing to ask for especially since most people will be perfectly happy with the one, definitive version.

I now feel I've said enough on this, and I'm simply supporting a direction that the majority have already agreed on and all are working towards.

Last edited:
You're hugely missing the point, Jarvis. The point isn't something new for the sake of something new. The point is to let ARTIST's contribute their visions of MK in a separate mode, offering something fresh for people who want it, and not affecting those who don't.

I really don't see why you're mama-grizzlying this issue. It really doesn't affect you, only YOUR vision for what this game should be. There are others who wouldn't mind an alternate mode, and if artist's are willing to contribute where is the problem? This is the Kommunity's game, after all. Throw up a poll, and if the Kommunity says, "Nay" that's all there is to it. Either way, it doesn't affect you in the slightest.

Not really double, if you change only graphic.

He just want diversity.

That's still double the graphics work. Like I said we still have so much to do, this isn't a job everyone can do full time - having diversity will only delay the project, and the time it takes to complete it could be potentially twice as long. I don't see diversity as a good enough reason for the project to take that much longer.

This is also a response to your post above Justin. And I really have said as much as I want to on this, I'm not sure I like the way you are interpreting my opinion on it, and since it's up to the graphics artists if they want to do what you've proposed, then I encourage them to speak up.

Last edited:
That's still double the graphics work

Work from whom, Jarvis? If someone wants to contribute, why would you want to stop them?

The way I see it, you are limiting this project's potential.

You're coming off as just pig-headed, sir.

I'll be happy at this point even if the extra I got was animated endings... looping animated gif style. Making them all animated like the bio screens. :p

Work from whom, Jarvis? If someone wants to contribute, why would you want to stop them?

The way I see it, you are limiting this project's potential.

You're coming off as just pig-headed, sir.

I was assuming that it'd be work from the people who are already on this project, you never said otherwise. I am certainly not stopping anyone from contributing, even though it's my preference that we put only the best work into the project that the majority agrees on.
Also, please keep this discussion respectful.

@ Smoke, is that not happening? wtf?

since it's up to the graphics artists if they want to do what you've proposed, then I encourage them to speak up.

I was assuming that it'd be work from the people who are already on this project, you never said otherwise. I am certainly not stopping anyone from contributing, even though it's
my preference that we put only the best work into the project that the majority agrees on.

Indeed. If there are any graphics artists that would like to contribute to the Alternate Mode, let us know. I'll speak up first and say I'll happily contribute.

I would never demand that the current artists work on something they don't want to. And I agree that we should only include high-quality work.

I want to add that I mean no offence with any of my remarks, Jarvis. We just have differing perspectives.

Last edited: