Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Using the actual models was something that went without saying I think. I don't remember discussing it.

Right I forgot about the Select portrait, I'll make that tonight. It will need some post work, because I didn't make the model with enough detail for a close up. Just enough to look good at the sprite size.

Using the actual models was something that went without saying I think. I don't remember discussing it.

Right I forgot about the Select portrait, I'll make that tonight. It will need some post work, because I didn't make the model with enough detail for a close up. Just enough to look good at the sprite size.

I thought it was pretty much assumed the same models would be used for all things... sprites, endings, character portraits, etc. to give the project some consistency.

SO I traced the dragon flags and as far as I'm concerned it looks awful. Sorry Jarvis and whoever else was bother by the Tatoo look. It's much better than tracing that dragon which to me look pixelated even in high def. I'd really need to take alot of liberties with it at which point it wouldn't be like the original anyway. I like the tattoo dragon we have going right now anyway. Anyone find a good dragon image for the flags?

Gojira, Goro looks crazy. lol, thumbs are still small though, lmao. I think besides that it could be considered done. I think the way the veins were done is going to help those details pop in-game with the sprites. Bleed, good animations as usual. Cant wait to see the raiden face sculpt. Whats your workflow for creating faces? First in 3ds max with a high or low poly mesh then zbrush. Or zbrush and retopologize. I usually model it in maya first then bring it into zbrush. Been trying out Zbrush first then retopology and its a bit quicker but with maya first it seems easier just takes longer.

and Calactyte that stage ended up turning really really cool. It looks vibrant in a good way, it works, and everything looks cohesive now with the overall color tone.

Speaking of which, in the Battle Plan or whatever, Goro's portrait was just a crop of the Goro Lives splash page. Should I create a new one? Here is what I had in mind:

goro29.jpg

SO I traced the dragon flags and as far as I'm concerned it looks awful. Sorry Jarvis and whoever else was bother by the Tatoo look. It's much better than tracing that dragon which to me look pixelated even in high def. I'd really need to take alot of liberties with it at which point it wouldn't be like the original anyway. I like the tattoo dragon we have going right now anyway. Anyone find a good dragon image for the flags?

well, this makes me happy as the MugenKombat forum uses same photoshop dragon stamp. At least it will stay in the mugen MK family.

Gojira, what i see right now, what you have in mind with the goro portrait, i think it looks pretty cool so far, but it couold use a different color background b/c it makes it a little hard to see his hair IMHO. but it still looks good man. keep at it.

yeah i wouldnt use the strobe lights again being that you already used them. maybe like you said, use something maybe relating to the lair just to see how it looks vs the solid black.

Bleed, whats your workflow for creating faces? First in 3ds max with a high or low poly mesh then zbrush. Or zbrush and retopologize. I usually model it in maya first then bring it into zbrush. Been trying out Zbrush first then retopology and its a bit quicker but with maya first it seems easier just takes longer.

I tend to make a very basic mesh in the traditional modeling software first. Start with a cube, and get it to where the base loops for the eyes, mouth, nose and ears are in place. In general, I add enough edge loops to where in zbrush, when subdividing, the mesh doesn't lose too much shape.

Next I go to Zbrush and work it till it looks ready for me.

Retopologize in Topogun

I try different methods though, it's not the same every time. Some times I'll start from a cube right in Zbrush, other times I'll model the head a little further in Max before sculpting...

If I need to, in mid sculpt, I'll edit the topology.

I don't go to super high detail because my computer couldn't handle it. I have a new system now that's a little stronger so maybe I can add the pores and stuff like that.

Last edited:
It will need some post work, because I didn't make the model with enough detail for a close up. Just enough to look good at the sprite size.

A Single Render with soft edges and alpha in background will be enough, the rest will be photoshop work.