Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

What? Raiden doesn't have a giant Star Wars looking hat. The giant hat that was shown a few pages back was from big trouble in little china and as far as I know wont be going into this project it was just something Bleed was working on for fun. He'll just have the standard Raiden hat in the game which is his trademark and should NOT change.

Anyway, about the round house kick thing. The kick didn't launch the characters into the air but doing a knee did and I preferred how that worked to how they reversed the way those two moves worked in MKII where most of the knees there didn't launch anyone in the air. Also since they didn't get knocked away by the round kick I could more easily execute a flurry of hits and do a knee. To be honest with you I kind of doubt the people here working on this have an interest in changing the round kick to how it works in MKII.

Still really hoping though that when the game is complete, that it could work on modded consoles, as it did have a large fan base on the console market as well (though the arcade versions were the definitive versions, just like the sf series)... and a game of this caliber, i'd find way more enjoyable playing on a hd tv with a game pad over playing it on my laptop (which all depends, because most laptops aren't really ideal for high quality gaming, like gaming pc rigs are, least in my humble opinion)... as having a variety of platform choices to play this game would be golden (if possible)...

Well, controls are really a non-issue on any platform these days as far as I'm concerned. One can easily hook up a gamepad or fighter stick (which I think is preferable for any arcade style game much less fighting games) to any system whether it's a console or PC hooked up to a big screen or a laptop. It's even possible to hook up a laptop to a big screen and hook up a gamepad to it and problem solved even if the game never gets ported to the consoles by someone.

Speaking of other platforms... MUGEN doesn't support Mac as far as I know but I know I'll probably be able to do an amateur port using WINE based wrapping software that turns a windows game into a self contained Mac game. If this comes out and nothing changes in regards to MUGEN's support I'll probably do that. I mentioned it way way earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
Speaking of other platforms... MUGEN doesn't support Mac as far as I know but I know I'll probably be able to do an amateur port using WINE based wrapping software that turns a windows game into a self contained Mac game. If this comes out and nothing changes in regards to MUGEN's support I'll probably do that. I mentioned it way way earlier in this thread.

I installed a WindowsXP VituralBox for that same reason. lol

As for the knee attack in MK2;

Liu Kang & Kung Lao launched the opponent backwards like MK1, Johnny Cage would knock them way up but I see your point, the rest of the characters only shove you back. I really don't know why they only did that for Kang, Lao and Cage. It almost like they planned on keeping it the same but then changed it after those making those characters.

The roundhouse effect aside, the endless punch was still a valid concern I think.

well... as far as the knee and round house kick's are concerned... it's a matter of opinion and what one prefers...

I would totally prefer, the 'knee' to have the same effect as the roundhouse kick in MK 1 (knocks them back some, but still standing)
As the roundhouse kick (like the uppercut) takes time to execute, that if you miss your opponent, it leaves you completely wide open to an attack... which is why i prefer the roundhouse kick as it was done in MK 2 (launches your opponent away from you)...

also, taking a look at mortal kombat 3... the kneeing for some characters have become a part of their combo's, have they not?... and the round house kick, remained true to how it was done in MK 2 not MK 1... which i believe speaks for itself... just saying

and lastly, why would only those 3 mk characters (kang, lao, cage)... be the only one's with a launching knee move?... and depending on what damage level was given from a knee versus what every other character executes, wouldn't that unbalance the game? (i think it would, as everyone should have the same basic moves, move timing - frames, damage levels, and could use slightly differing animations to break up the monotony)

[Off Topic]
also... not to be a d***... but i find the game's title "Mortal Kombat HD Remix" to be somewhat misleading (if that is what you guys are planning on calling it)... as when i think of the term 'remix', i think of both old and new... as in games, both old and new in game play and features... but in this case your making a faithful reproduction of "Mortal Kombat I" only, but in HD.. which usually only consists of a graphical and audio overhaul... which "Mortal Kombat HD" more than covers and should clearly get the point across... but with the 'remix' thrown in there, one could be mislead to think of game play elements from all mortal kombat's combined with even new features creating it's own unique mortal kombat game, which happens to not really be the case here... Otherwise, you'll just keep on getting people on here suggesting to make unnecessary implementations / changes (such as myself before) not related to "Mortal Kombat I"... which would probably otherwise not happen, if it was originally titled "Mortal Kombat HD"... just saying

ps. it also doesn't help seeing any of bleeds amazing umk 3 scorpion and other non related mortal kombat I material on here ;)... because that will just make everyone rather have a "Mortal Kombat: 3 Ultimate HD" or a "Mortal Kombat: Trilogy HD" game :)... so why hold yourselves back?... when you could just create a slowly growing Trilogy in HD and just have a 'running-combo: on/off' option, that while set to 'off' pretty much gives you mortal kombat I and mortal kombat II gameplay, but instead with all of the character's and stages coming around as updates overtime (when they're finished), since there's no deadline?... just a thought

Last edited:
Now I could be wrong so take this with a grain of salt...

but originally Spawn who started this thread based the idea of doing something similar to Street Fighter II HD Remix.
Now that game has completely redrawn SF2 characters and recomposed music. Also speed settings and tweaks that tournament players would really like. So the word remix could be taken so many different ways. Originally we thought we would redo all the music (which would mean the music was - remixed)...

So there are multiple interpretations of the word "remix". That being said it is hard enough dealing with making the art for MK1. Imagine if we focused on everyone's cool ideas without even having the basic animations down for all the characters? You know what would happen? This project would die quickly. Why? Because it is simply too much work do worry about all at once. When it stops being fun then the project dies since none of us are going to get paid.

So awhile back, Bleed, Interloko, Badmouse and I decided to keep it simple. Shoot for the small goal of creating MK1 in HD. It really simplifies things since we have a concrete goal that we are reaching for. Everyone knows what a good MK HD remake should be. So we focus our energy where it belongs. Now once everything is built. Sure we can tweak the heck out of it and release and MK Remix 1.5 or whatever the community would like it to be called. Somehow I sense though that MK2 will be the thing everyone would rather we spent our time on. We will see.

"Remix" is just a working title, it'll probably end up as just Mortal Kombat HD (it was discussed earlier)

I don't see roundhouse, knee kick, or punch mashing (it's not infinite btw, ther is a push back after 5 punches) as problems. The biggest gameplay problem in the original MK imo was no turn-around jump kick when you jump over the opponent. If anything should be changed gameplay wise, it's that. But if you do that it's no longer MK I, your gameplay style changes completely. It's probably best to just recreate the first game as close as possible, and tweak it for later versions.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
ok... looking back at what i wrote and trying to clarify on what i meant... i wasn't implying that you guys should scrap "Mortal Kombat: HD" and start working on a "Mortal Kombat: Trilogy HD" right off the get go... i was more or so implying that you guys continue the direction in which you are already going, by starting off with an MK: 1, MK:1.5, MK:1.6, MK:2, MK:3, MK:T etc... but with each update, you guys should of course essentially 'fix / add' kontent (not by removing anything from previous versions, unless it was a bug or glitch)... so if by any chance. if the time came around to making an "Ultimate Mortal Kombat III HD" version... It would be nice if you could still choose liu kang, sub, scorp (mk 1 models) or kung lao, liu kang, sub, scorp (mk 2 models) etc... in addition to their newly made UMK 3 model renditions... and since mortal kombat 3 was the first mk game to implement running and dial-a-combo's, "running-combo's: On (by default)", it would still be nice to be able to turn them off to revert back to that old school mk feel... as you guys progress with updates and newer versions... know what i mean?... so no game play elements / features become lost with updates and only built upon them / added to them... hope this makes a little more sense, at what i was getting at :)

as far as the "Remix" goes... it's all good :), just felt it was necessary to address that it could have different interpretations to some people and might get you guys some unwanted suggestions / feed back, is all... so no worries :)

also... speaking of music... i don't know if you guys have ever heard of / tried "OpenBOR" (Open Beats Of Rage - a fan made 'beat-em up" game engine)... because on some of the games... they would give you the option of playing the game with the "arcade" music, "nes" music and "arranged" (remixed / different original) music... which i thought was pretty sweet... though i don't know if mugen can function in this same manner of allowing you to choose different versions of the same game with only differing music tracks to accompany the game... as in this case you could then go with "arcade" or "remixed" (to give all of those musically inclined folks, i heard samples from on previous page posts on here, a chance to be heard, that didn't make the arcade 1:1 cut)... which would be pretty kool :)

Last edited:
You can set up the game with different play styles, that's what I have for my characters now. I'm using a bunch of different variables to work like switches.

A few variables scan be left unused for this option in the future.

Play style = 1, 2, or 3

Sound effect style, 1, or 2

Running = on or off

etc.

You can do it with the music also, but it works a little differently than usual. You need to build the music codes in to the character's common file instead of the stages.

It's a basic code that any character can use for general things, like getting hit, walking, etc.
You can say, I want this music style and I want it to play on this stage and at this time.

Last edited:
Sounds good :)..........................

You can set up the game with different play styles, that's what I have for my characters now. I'm using a bunch of different variables to work like switches.

A few variables scan be left unused for this option in the future.

Play style = 1, 2, or 3

Sound effect style, 1, or 2

Running = on or off

etc.

You can do it with the music also, but it works a little differently than usual. You need to build the music codes in to the character's common file instead of the stages.

It's a basic code that any character can use for general things, like getting hit, walking, etc.
You can say, I want this music style and I want it to play on this stage and at this time.

I'll be working on the animations today, more updates on the way.

Any particular move you guys want to see? I was thinking of doing the jabs next but I haven't started yet.

I'd like to see Leg Sweep. But yeah if you want to go Jabs that would be cool too.

I'll be working on the animations today, more updates on the way.

Any particular move you guys want to see? I was thinking of doing the jabs next but I haven't started yet.

Shang is done unless anyone thinks he needs more love:

SHANG_NEW.png

calactyte, looks amazing! the only thing need to be fix is the yellow parts of the Katana, they looks looks too dark.

Maybe change the shader setting will looks more light.

BTW, can you try to render it in other pose or with different lighting? Will be helpful see him with the same lighting of MK1 (strong high light coming from the back, and area light from the front)

Shang's lookin' good. Though I kinda liked it better when those stripes in the robe were yellow/golden, and now are gray/silver.

Edit: Though, looking at the sprites, I guess the look's more accurate now. I guess the MK2 intro and the Mythologies look made me think that it had to be golden.

Last edited: