Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I think that's a pretty good reference actually for the outfit. Especially the ammo belt. Even without texture that ammo belt looks more detailed and truer to the original. Gojira has the likeness to Divizo down pat but that should be a guide to the outfit.

Here's some quick "fixes" I did for the Kano model, it's not in great quality:

http://i46.tinypic.com/3518xmg.png

Left one is Gojira's current state, original in the middle, my try on the right

-made his pants baggier from knees up and lower crotch area
-lowered his knife sheaths down the legs a bit
-tightened his belt (waist) slightly
-made lioncloth or whatever it's called (below the belt) much longer
-wrist bands longer and arm bands a bit thinner

Last edited:
It was a few days ago when someone had posted revisions of the Kano model where his faceplate was all chromed out. It looked awesome -- both true to the source, and stunning in HD. Is there any way that effect can/will be used in the final version?

Smoke, you are wrong about the ammo belt. The model in the image above has boxy shaped ammo pouches. Also the clips are totally wrong compared to the real ammo belt. I used the "real" ammo belt as the one from MK HD which shows Kano at TYM. Please do some research on this. Also Gojira is missing the bottom part of the pouch model on his render.

I think that's a pretty good reference actually for the outfit. Especially the ammo belt. Even without texture that ammo belt looks more detailed and truer to the original. Gojira has the likeness to Divizo down pat but that should be a guide to the outfit.

Here's some quick "fixes" I did for the Kano model, it's not in great quality:

http://i46.tinypic.com/3518xmg.png

Left one is Gojira's current state, original in the middle, my try on the right

-made his pants baggier from knees up and lower crotch area
-lowered his knife sheaths down the legs a bit
-tightened his belt (waist) slightly
-made lioncloth or whatever it's called (below the belt) much longer
-wrist bands longer and arm bands a bit thinner

They're all pretty easy fixes, so I'll get on that. Thanks for the mock up

Hey guys... some of you may or may not remember me, I used to post here quite a bit a long time ago. I started trying to create a Kano model but unfortunately gave up pretty quickly due to frustration with how poorly it went, and simply a lack of time to work on it. You guys seem to have been doing great in my absence though, and evidently the fact that I couldn't finish the Kano model wasn't a great loss, cause there's no way I could've done this good a job! :p

Anyway, it's really exciting to see this place so bustling with activity again, and that's prompted me to come back here again too. I might not be very active but I hope I can at least contribute with some feedback.

Mortal Gojira, I commented on your Kano model on deviantArt the other day but it looks like you're making steady progress. The lighter skintone and a bit of volume to the hair makes a huge difference. His face still looks slightly pudgy and old, I think, but you're very close to nailing it. Comparing to photos of Rich I think the crease where the brow meets the bridge of the nose is too pronounced, and the same might go for the folds separating his lower lip from his chin.

The faceplate looks good in the last picture you posted too, I think. Maybe it could be smaller on top, but it does seem to change in every piece of reference you can find though, so you probably shouldn't stress it. The wear and tear could probably still be toned down though - maybe it shouldn't be 100% smooth, but on the other hand he probably has not been moving heavy equipment back and forth across his face. As for the colour, of course the diffuse texture needs to be somewhat dark for the metallic shine to be noticeable, but I feel it kinda needs some midtones too. Regardless, because of the specularity and everything it's really going to be dependant on what the lighting conditions are like for the final sprites. It should be fairly easy to tweak the textures if necessary, or simply the material settings, once everything is in place. Since it will be subject to tweaking with the final lighting anyway, I wouldn't necessarily worry about getting it perfect right out of ZBrush. Finally, as someone mentioned, Divizio was a pretty hairy guy! His forearms should definitely be noticeably hairy, and possibly his chest as well (depending on the final cut of his top). Here's a few more pictures that might provide helpful reference.

Richard_Divizio.jpg

11-richard-divizio.jpg

mk3-behind44.jpg

As for his body, apart from the previously mentioned tight pants, the biggest issue in my mind is that your model is wearing his belt too low. If you look at his original sprites or the "behind the scenes" pictures you can see that in MK1 he's wearing his belt quite high, around the height of his elbows. Combined with the shape of the pants, it alters his silhouette and overall proportions quite drastically. You also seem to have a tendency to make feet quite big. Making them a little less chunky should hopefully make him look more proportionate overall. I made a quick paintover to illustrate my points:

kanopaintover.gif

I realise it might be very tricky to get the bagginess of the pants right, and still maintain decent poseability without crazy deformation issues, but frankly that's not quite my area of expertise either. Perhaps Bleed can chime in on that. Still, simply adjusting the waist/belt, and beefing up the pants a bit so he's not so top-heavy, will make a big difference.

Hey Gojira,

Everything Jiggeh and previously LaLuna have said is accurate. I'd just like to add that the ammo belt is a little too large on his body. It could be scaled maybe 10-15% down. Also the bottom part of the ammo belt I keep referencing is missing. I have it pictured here in pink.

POUCH_TEST.jpg

Not sure if you were done messing with the pouches or not but they lack detail which will be noticeable up close in the portrait. I think you should get some stitching in there and some kind of depth cloth pattern on them which will help to sell the realism. Anyway that's my two cents; carry on, you are doing a great job here after these minor adjustments are made I think Kano will be just about ready to go!

Edit: The missing bottom piece is in Dropbox called:

BELT_PACK_COVER_PROTECT.obj

You'll notice that once that's added the whole belt will need to be scaled down a bit.

Here is what I used as a reference to build the ammo packs:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/taku128/all-images/52-393179/test_your_might/51-1836880/

I know that. It was meant as a reference for Divizio's arms, not Kano's MK1 costume.

Here you posted upgraded costume. And it was created after MK1 release already.
It doesn't matter, it can be used as face and body hair reference.

Welcome back Jiggeh, I remember your suggestions for clothes working great for Bleeds Rayden model.
And it looks like you nailed some things on Kano too, good eye.

I think once Kano's model is finished it's a big deal. He looks like the most complicated character to model, clothes wise. Him and Shang Tsung. Every other character left unfinnished looks a lot simpler in design imo. Kano has a lot going on him with ammo belt, knife sheaths, faceplate etc. And I know Shang is done, but after seeing Kanos model coming along I think there's room for improving Tsung.

Last edited:
Smoke, you are wrong about the ammo belt. The model in the image above has boxy shaped ammo pouches. Also the clips are totally wrong compared to the real ammo belt. I used the "real" ammo belt as the one from MK HD which shows Kano at TYM. Please do some research on this. Also Gojira is missing the bottom part of the pouch model on his render.

You mean this?

07102011_7.png

The ammo pouches aren't exactly round there as they are in Mortal Gojira's model... and it's not simply because the "bottom part" is missing. I may not be entirely correct but neither are you and either way the pouches aren't as loose (both in spacing and how the flaps are tied down) and round as what we have here. Also I actually took some time to look up a bunch of different ammo belt styles as well as looking at Kano pics and stuff like the above. Unless I'm blind I have yet to see any ammo pouches that look as loose and round as what you've got there even with the corrections you suggested. At the very least it seems to me that the ammo pouches are at least as baggy and boxy as say.. cargo pants pockets when they are loaded with stuff.

Last edited:
i do have all the parts for the ammo belt, I just forgot the bottom piece. I will add it. And no, I have not did much at all to the ammo except just place them. I'm still working things out as far as my pipeline process, so that's why its taking so long to see updates on other parts of the model. Appreciate the heads up on everything and I will get to those corrections asap

Ok what I am saying is that you are wrong to compare Gojira's ammo belt to the ones on MKHD Kano model which has them as chamfered rectangles. Look at the MK HD image of TYM that you posted. They are way more rounded than rectangular. So I am just saying that to call the MKHD Kano model's pouches correct is wrong (wrong if you are using the TYM Kano MKHD as your main reference.

I agree about them being tighter togther though.

I guess that's just one of those things we'll just have to differ on because even in the TYM pic they look more like baggy, boxy pouches to me than the soft rounded smooth shapes used in Gojira's model. Maybe not as boxy as in the model in that other MK HD pic but not really round at all. More like an inbetween gray area.

Additionally if you look at the pouches closer to his shoulder the bottom flap may be due more to the cloth folding\stress due to the tightening of the straps than having a lower fold. But I'd need a more closeup higher resolution view to be absolutely sure about that. One of them looks like it might have a lower flap like you suggest but another one doesn't and looks more like the cloth is folding over\bunched up due to the straps tugging on it from being so tight while the material being so baggy. I blew it up and examined them very closely to be sure but it's still not a good enough view in my opinion to make a conclusive judgement as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
since I don't have a closer photo, it will be left up to speculation. Perhaps as you said it is a happy medium between rounded and rectangular.

Just gonna throw this out there. I really like the rough textured eye plate Gojira is using. To me it would be really odd to have a really shiny smooth plate on such a gruff, grimey character.

I agree that the pouches should be squished together a bit more too.

I'm 50/50 with the face plate. One of the many things that most caught my eye about MK1's graphics back then was kano's shiny chrome faceplate in his fighting stance, even with the low resolution you could see that thing glaring reflective light off of it. The later versions Gojira posted I like a lot more now than I did, they seem shinier, so I'm just curious mainly about how it's going to do with reflection in the fighting stance.

Gojira: I don't know much about 3D software but I wonder if you'd have to build some random shapes to hover near his face plate so the plate would have something to reflect? Maybe that's why the chrome effect didn't look right to you when you were trying it. Not sure if that's how that works though.

Either way I think what you have now looks good and should work.

Last edited: