Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Another Shang Update:

SHANG_NEW.png

He didn't have the horn details in the original game.

If I may, you're being way too literal to the original low-res sprites! Does Bleed's Scorpion look exactly like the original Scorpion and Sub-Zero images? No it doesn't because he added more detail to it, like the straps showing through on the shin-guards and the black outline on certain parts of the fabric.

Have some fun with advancing the designs for an HD display! Shang Tsung should have his goatee and Goro should have the spikes on his forehead like Tobias originally drew.

The reason the spikes probably didn't need to be added to the clay model originally is most likely because that small of a detail wouldn't matter with such a low resolution sprite anyhow or worse, they would've looked like a muddied blob of pixels on his forehead. You guys are trying to make this an HD enhancement of the original, where details like that will add so much to the characters!

I don't see what's the fuss over Goros' horns. I get that horns were there in the concept art,
but they never used it in any of the games (as far as I know) not even in the movie, and Tobias
worked with them on the film (so no, low resolution probably is not the reason)

23rwaxf.png

It's not like Scorpions white eyes where he had them in every game other than MK1 and you
got so used to it that he looked strange without them looking back at MK1.

I'm not entirely against horns, but I don't think it's that important at all, and clearly that's what the
creators of the games thought too.

@Calactyte: Goro looks great! Can we get a view of his back?

I agree with Calactyte and La Luna about the horns. They're only on the concept art and the first comics. I think they removed them more for artistic reasons and not hardware limitations.

I hear you man. I tried messing around with Goro and giving him blood stains and dirt also but I wasn't happy with how it looked. The problem with diverting from the original too much is where does it end? Where do we draw the line?

That being said I thought the horns didn't look right. So I'm not including them from an artistic perspective. Just my opinion and you are certainly free to disagree with me. I just don't like the horns.

As for Shang's missing Goatee, he very clearly doesn't have it in MK1. I know he has it in MK2 but is it worth putting in if it wasn't in the original? Sure we could surmise that it was technical limitations that forced that detail out of the original. We could use that same argument for just about any detail that was impossible to see but we think should be there.

I'm way more concerned right now about capturing the "soul" of Mortal Kombat, pun intended. So right now (and this could change at anytime during the course of this project) we are trying to stick to the original as literally as possible, I honestly don't see anything wrong with that.

If I may, you're being way too literal to the original low-res sprites! Does Bleed's Scorpion look exactly like the original Scorpion and Sub-Zero images? No it doesn't because he added more detail to it, like the straps showing through on the shin-guards and the black outline on certain parts of the fabric.

Have some fun with advancing the designs for an HD display! Shang Tsung should have his goatee and Goro should have the spikes on his forehead like Tobias originally drew.

The reason the spikes probably didn't need to be added to the clay model originally is most likely because that small of a detail wouldn't matter with such a low resolution sprite anyhow or worse, they would've looked like a muddied blob of pixels on his forehead. You guys are trying to make this an HD enhancement of the original, where details like that will add so much to the characters!

I'm not entirely against horns, but I don't think it's that important at all, and clearly that's what the
creators of the games thought too.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Goros already strong enough to kill you with his bare hands, so he doesn't really need spike armor on him to be any more deadly than he already is.

calactyte, good work in shang. I think is done.

About Goro, is looking great, maybe make his eyes a bit more light (shader setting), the rest if perfect, i will like to see the back later.

BTW, can you put Shang Tsung in DropBox? i want to play with him into Maya and Mental Ray. Also i have Max in my PC.

About Goro, I don't like his lips... It looks kinda funny. His 'eyebrows' and teeth are waaay too big, and his forehead should be longer.