Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Agree, Goro's model in MKA isn't very nice, better to use MK9 version.)

I would advise against using the model from MK9 as well. Better to keep everything original to this project.. well about as original as a copy in HD can get anyway. XD

Well, i download it and.. its a real 3D model :
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5091/71884838.jpg
:(

HAHA, that's the MK4 Goro model and not only that it's the one with all the polygons stripped out for the PSX\N64 versions (which was also lazily ported to the PC and didn't make any use of 3D accelerator cards even back then :p).

Yeah I think what he said was a little too confrontational. I'm just putting my ideas forward and if they decide they want to go with them fine if not that's fine too especially if they feel it would be too much trouble for little return as reptile isn't fought very often when you come down to it.

Like with Ermac, adding him in would beg the question as to what set of special moves he would have and would be additional work as well. Probably more work than giving Reptile a couple of his own special moves. I was thinking it would be a cool reward for breaking diamond in test your might or something though.

BTW if he had his own special moves I wouldn't call him MK2 Reptile more like MK 1.5 Reptile or something since all his normal moves would still be the same as the other ninjas as well as the slide he shares with Sub-zero in just about any incarnation. ;)

I understand, I always like discussing things with you so no problem there, as long as it's respectful. But yeah what you said about more work for little return is a good way of putting it, and that applies to Ermac too like you said. At the end of the day it's up to the people creating & programming the characters, whether they see it as a good investment of time into the project. If they did decide to do it though, those things should be the last on the list to make since the rest of the game is more important.

Well then, you can also play MK1 without graphic/sound changes, for nostalgic. xD

You trolling me or something?

I understand, I always like discussing things with you so no problem there, as long as it's respectful. But yeah what you said about more work for little return is a good way of putting it, and that applies to Ermac too like you said. At the end of the day it's up to the people creating & programming the characters, whether they see it as a good investment of time into the project.

I'm glad we are on the same page even though we may not agree on some things.

If they did decide to do it though, those things should be the last on the list to make since the rest of the game is more important.
On the other hand if they did decide to go with it I think the best time to complete the entire set of ninja moves is when the ninjas are being made rather than after they are finalized.

I have sort of encountered something similar with a certain gaming company I have contact with who now has enlisted me to test for them as it'd be easier to add features or fixes to certain features in during development rather than patch them in after the game has shipped.

Le@n, I understand what you are saying but when someone is creating a work of art they can't use other people's assets/models without the permission of the original artist. I can see what you mean: there's a Goro model thats already built... but since none of the people working on this project created that model, it has to be done from scratch.

On the other hand if they did decide to go with it I think the best time to complete the entire set of ninja moves is when the ninjas are being made rather than after they are finalized. I have sort of encountered something similar with a certain gaming company I have contact with who now has enlisted me to test for them as it'd be easier to add features or fixes to certain features in during development rather than patch them in after the game has shipped.

About Ermac, I honestly think there's little chance of him being in this game, so what I said probably has no bearing. If Bleed is going to continue work on the ninja batch, then I assume the next one will be Sub Zero and Reptile after. I guess at that point a decision will be made whether to make the original or 1.5 version. My feeling is that it will be the original though.

Man, I only meant that better to use it as base, then make from scratch. This model can be modified to fit MK1.

Everything that has been made thus far is original creations, not borrowed from any other games. I'd like to keep it this way, it gives the project some real integrity.

I guess at that point a decision will be made whether to make the original or 1.5 version. My feeling is that it will be the original though.

Or a 1.2* version which only adds his invisibility move and fatality... XD

*1.2 as in less stuff than the 1.5 version but still more than a totally vanilla MK1 version.

Everything that has been made thus far is original creations, not borrowed from any other games. I'd like to keep it this way, it gives the project some real integrity.

I agree whole heartedly.

Sooooo, the Goro model I posted, does that work? Is that a good direction to go? I'm only asking since there seems to be a bit of confusing in regards to this guy

fatality would be epic!!
Hah, good thing you brought that up MG, I was just about to ask about that now. i'll edit this post...
Edit: Just to avoid confusion, what are thoughts on how HD Goro should look. Should he have the same exact proportions or be a bit bulkier. How about the face... should it look closer to the later versions of goro seeing as how its been consistent?

Sooooo, the Goro model I posted, does that work? Is that a good direction to go? I'm only asking since there seems to be a bit of confusing in regards to this guy

I myself don't have much of a feel for him in such an incomplete state... looks too early for me to tell. I'd like to see him more "fleshed out" before I judge.

Personally I'd think he would be more in line with what Bleed is doing in regards to proportions.

I honestly love the design of the first Goro. He was huge, but not too bulky. Made sense as to how agile he was. His face has been more or less the same, beady red eyes, tiny nose and frowny mouth. I'm trying to keep that look.

Gotcha tetsu, will try and have something more detailed asap.

Two things I noticed on the Goro model: The muscles look a bit too rounded, almost balloon shaped. Some harder edged angles in a few spots and less curved muscles would definitely help. As for the face I think it looks too much like a human. A bit more of a monstrous look would improve it by a ton.

edit: " beady red eyes, tiny nose and frowny mouth" Thats what I liked about the original Goro face. Well the idea of it more than the actual execution. Has similarities to a human face but when you see it you know its not.

fatality would be epic!!
Hah, good thing you brought that up MG, I was just about to ask about that now. i'll edit this post...
Edit: Just to avoid confusion, what are thoughts on how HD Goro should look. Should he have the same exact proportions or be a bit bulkier. How about the face... should it look closer to the later versions of goro seeing as how its been consistent?

Should look like MK1 Goro, same proportions, same face.

Gojira, your model does look different, but it is clear you have the skill to create the character. Apart from the sprites, these would be some good references for your work:

gororef1.png

gororef2.png

What I love about his classic version, is that he looks like a brute. I don't really like his MK9 counterpart, I understand the direction they chose which was to make him more princely like his title implies, but I feel they lost all that was threatening about him. So it'd be great to see him the way he originally was.

But the best example of a bad creative choice in MK9 is Kintaro - what a disappointment for a character who scared the shit out of us to fight when we were kids.

Last edited:
But the best example of a bad creative choice in MK9 is Kintaro - what a disappointment for a character that scared the shit out of us to fight when we were kids.

This reminds me also of how when I first saw Goro in the arcade version of MK1 (that exact pic from the attract mode) it made me proclaim.. "How am I going to beat that?".

That unpainted model looks very good and probably can serve well as a reference for a 3D model!

This reminds me also of how when I first saw Goro in the arcade version of MK1 (that exact pic from the attract mode) it made me proclaim.. "How am I going to beat that?".

That unpainted model looks very good and probably can serve well as a reference for a 3D model!

Yep, it's the actual model used for MK1 and so would be one of the most accurate references.

Jarvis, I just tried to say that nostalgia isn't always good.)

Nostalgia is important whichever way you cut it, IMO it is one of the driving forces of this project. How I feel, which I'm sure many others do, is that we want this remake to bring back the level of excitement of the original when it was first released. The feeling we had when we first saw and played it. Only a HD update, with the game in its most recognizable form, can make that possible. That's the best way I can put it really.

Nostalgia is important whichever way you cut it, IMO it is one of the driving forces of this project. How I feel, which I'm sure many others do, is that we want this remake to bring back the level of excitement of the original when it was first released. The feeling we had when we first saw and played it. Only a HD update, with the game in its most recognizable form, can make that possible. That's the best way I can put it really.

Nostalgia can also be a trap that prevents one from viewing anything new or improved as better than their rose tinted memories. To be honest with you nothing can compare to the feelings I had playing MK1 at the arcade for the first time. When I first saw it I even doubted it was a real game because of the digitized look I almost confused it with those american laser games like Mad Dog McRee which I didn't consider to be true games. It blew my mind that they could have digitized video of live actors yet have it be a real game. Nothing, I repeat nothing has come close to that for me personally.

I say it's important only to a point.. until it starts holding you back. Although for the most part here it isn't as we are going with HD, widescreen and other improvements.